What do you think of the mad scientist

gpickin

What do you think of the mad scientist

Post by gpickin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:56 am

Pretty insane https://www.golfchannel.com/news/watch- ... olf1305000

If I was any good I might be like this, but I have a 10 yard swing each side of my number so most of that doesn’t mean anything to me ;)

Thoughts?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: What do you think of the mad scientist

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:09 am

I think he's playing it up. Cobra has proven to be really good at marketing their players, and he is no exception. Hi Rickie

I'm pretty sure that the "mad scientist" is mostly for marketing purposes. Sure he has some unique views on the golf swing, and he isn't afraid to try different things. But the whole "air density" thing, it's basically a different way of saying "129 to the hole playing 126." That is all it is, it's just worded differently because there are microphones near. But it makes me wonder how low the humidity would need to get before distance was decreased by 2.3%. I guess they are in the desert so it makes sense that the humidity would be low and therefore "air density" would be higher. But 2.3% change in flight seems pretty impactful. Maybe his distances are from a baseline in FL where it's super humid though?
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 am

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/learn-wea ... ll-flight/

Ok I googled "humidity effect on golf" there were numerous links all saying the same thing. Air density will effect a golf ball, but there is not much change in air density because of humidity, or air pressure. There is a small impact due to temperature. Given that these guys play in basically the same temperatures year round (except in Memphis) I call BS on there being a 3 yard difference on a 130 yard shot due to "air density" specifically.

So that seems to match what I said above and makes me more confident that he just worked with his caddy on changing the verbiage to intentionally market his "mad scientist" persona.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:38 am

I don't really pay attention but what I have seen is tiresome. It's not science anyways. Guy just stands there kind of pulling guesstimate numbers out of his butt. Unless you are using instruments to measure things like wind or air density, it's not really, actually science. Even if you could say, measure wind speed, unless you are measuring the wind along the entire pathway of the ball you are guessing. Even if you could somehow measure all the wind that the ball encounters from impact to landing, you'd still miss the mark. Until this kid produces some definitive proof that his "methods" are superior (i.e. he would have to dominate the majority of ballstriking/accuracy stats on tour), they can only be thought of as psychological tactics that help keep Bryson engaged in his own golf round. Or maybe like Fish says, some pathetic marketing ploy.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Central Valley, represent!
Bluto did it