WTF did you shoot today?

DougE

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by DougE » Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 pm

sjduffers wrote:
DougE wrote: In this case, assuming Bryan is somewhere between a 10-20 handicapper, and actually keeps an official index, he could only take a 7 on that hole officially assuming it was a par 4 (8 if it were a par 5).
Slight correction: the max would still be 7 on a par 5. And that's assuming the player's course handicap (not the index) is between 10 and 19. With a slope in the high 120s or into the 130s, this could mean an index as low as between 8.5 or 16.0 (see https://ncga.org/_pdf/slope_tables.pdf for precise numbers).
Yes, I actually knew that, but I misspoke. I know it is 7 max, whether par 3 , 4 or 5. And I also realize it is course handicap, not actual index. Totally agree with what you said, SJD.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:35 pm

AM i wrong to say one of his options for declaring unplayable is to go as far backwards as needed/wanted to drop? That is a third option to go with hitting from previous spot, or taking two club lengths. Kevin Na's issue in his case was he tried to hit a shot, then declared unplayable. Since he played a shot, he took re-teeing out of the equation. And he had no drop forever on a line going straight backwards. So he had to drop two club lengths and kept whacking til he got out.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes, he could have gone back as far as he wanted on a line extending straight back from the pin through the spot his ball came to rest, but it didn't sound like that option was available to him due to the forced carry over the desert terrain. Probably not a place in which you want to be messing around and dropping, considering snakes and scorpions, etc.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 pm

bryan k wrote:I... I ended up taking a 16 on the hole, which might possibly be my worst score ever on a single hole. I'm pretty sure that the 11 penalty strokes on a single hole is a new record.
Did you ever consider just picking up your ball and moving on to the next hole? Record a "7X" or whatever and call it a day on that hole?

From your description of the process, it must have taken a fair amount of time to play the hole (5 minute search for lost ball, measure 2 club lengths, drop, repeat, repeat, repeat, ...). As painful as it was to score a 16, your playing partners and the people behind must have also suffered.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Fri May 26, 2017 11:47 am

DougE wrote:The problem I have with this scenario is that, at least in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to go to that extreme in anything other than a tournament round (or maybe one in which money per stroke is involved). But that's just me. An ESC score protects your handicap index by not allowing you to take more than a certain number on any one hole. In this case, assuming Bryan is somewhere between a 10-20 handicapper, and actually keeps an official index, he could only take a 7 on that hole officially assuming it was a par 4 (8 if it were a par 5).
That's kinda what i was thinking; seems like an example of being a martyr to the rules. Just take your max and move on, or even play out from a playable lie but with your max score. I can only imagine what the group on the tee behind him was thinking.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri May 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Bunch of jerks. The guy had one bad hole. That happens to those of us who are not awesome at golf. He paid his green fee, he deserves to play out his destiny just like you. Fuckin Philistines.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:48 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Bunch of jerks. The guy had one bad hole. That happens to those of us who are not awesome at golf. He paid his green fee, he deserves to play out his destiny just like you. Fuckin Philistines.
Go back to sleep. You will feel happier once you go under the Hudson.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri May 26, 2017 9:37 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Bunch of jerks. The guy had one bad hole. That happens to those of us who are not awesome at golf. He paid his green fee, he deserves to play out his destiny just like you. Fuckin Philistines.
Go back to sleep. You will feel happier once you go under the Hudson.
East River. And I did. Ate some food, took a shower. Feel more normal. Still stand behind the earlier posts :school

edit: let's stay on topic. I shot 101 at Bethpage Black. With the driver off the tee I did superb by my own standards. Hit a bunch of fairways and gave myself looks at the green on most holes. Got ate up in the rough, and in the bunkers. Either couldn't get out of the bunker on first try, or launch a missile. One of those missiles landed OB :confound In the afternoon the greens got crazy fast and I couldn't deal. I got the yips.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri May 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Interesting. My good buddy, who played with me as my partner in many tournaments back at Oxford Greens in Connecticut, just played Bethpage Black on May 13th. He also shot 101 that day.

He says he's about a 13 or 14 handicap right now, but is actually better than that. When we played together he was a 10-11 handicap. So, 101 isn't bad in my book if the rough was thick.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 27, 2017 9:38 am

DougE wrote:Interesting. My good buddy, who played with me as my partner in many tournaments back at Oxford Greens in Connecticut, just played Bethpage Black on May 13th. He also shot 101 that day.

He says he's about a 13 or 14 handicap right now, but is actually better than that. When we played together he was a 10-11 handicap. So, 101 isn't bad in my book if the rough was thick.
101 is pretty bad! I think I looked like such a real chump on the greens. I left a three-footer for par short on the last hole. At one point I tried to one-hand a one-footer and lipped it out. Once the greens dried out and sped up I became literally afraid to strike a putt.

It's hard to convey the full scope of the rough's nastiness. Pitching back out to the fairway is its own challenge. I missed a couple times. Rough snags the club, ball comes out low and left and boom, back in the rough again. Even the first cut was brutal.

Rough is the course's main defense and I think that is kind of lame both in ideology and practice. Weak because you could turn any course into a severe challenge if you shrink the fairways and let the grass grow that tall, and in practice it kills a lot of the fun of golf, which is recovering from a marginal shot. At Bethpage Black marginal shots and really bad shots often yield the same consequences--automatic loss of stroke. No fun. I'm not even sure that kind of test is even appropriate for a US Open. It's an interpretation of golf that I find weird. I had fun though.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm

100 at Golden Hills where I haven't played in two years. Many of the holes have been changed since before the flood of '15. It's a lot better now, some of the weird/gimmicky stuff is gone and good improvements.

Hit the ball like crap, chipping was awful.

Looking forward to Bethpage!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: Pitching back out to the fairway is its own challenge. I missed a couple times. Rough snags the club, ball comes out low and left and boom, back in the rough again.
Tom Watson's gave a tip. When in heavy rough, open the club face. The rough will grab the head and close it. But starting with a very open face, the "grab" doesn't create a shut face. He also advocates really gripping the club hard. I know the open face idea works for me when in heavy rough.
Let's Play 36

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Sun May 28, 2017 5:51 pm

With a 13.

Yes, you did read that right.

A THIRTEEN!

1 - Bogey
2 - Bogey
3 - +4
4 - Bogey
5 - Bogey
6 - Bogey
7 - Bogey
8 - Bogey
9 - Bogey (48 at the turn. Par is 36)
10 - Bogey
11 - Double
12 - Double
13 - Double
14 - +9
15 - Bogey
16 - Bogey
17 - Bogey
18 - Triple (58 back. Par is 36)

Net score = 80

This game sickens me.

At least I'm hitting the driver over 200yds again though
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 29, 2017 12:36 am

Be careful JP some guys here will roast you for taking 13 strokes on one hole. They have decided that's too many. How many is too many? I don't know, ask those guys, they have figured it out evidently. Don't worry about me though I condone it. Not only that, i give you props for taking it like a man--it's not like you weren't trying, and it's not like this shit happens all the time. I'd rather take 13 strokes than give up and pick up the ball. I'd be so disgusted with myself.
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 am

JPJ wrote:106

With a 13.

Yes, you did read that right.

A THIRTEEN!
I thought one of the advantages of the UK handicap system is that one maxes out at DB or TB?

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Mon May 29, 2017 6:45 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I thought one of the advantages of the UK handicap system is that one maxes out at DB or TB?
Only for calculation of new handicaps, or adjustments of existing handicaps.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Exactly JP. Out there in the real world, in the game called LIFE, there is no such thing as a stroke limit. :onfire
A golfball wizard's

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue May 30, 2017 8:28 am

Nope, wouldn't card a 13, you're right. I'd take a double par and let the handicap system square away what the ESC would be. I see nothing gained with taking that many strokes on a hole, but that's me. If you're not holding up anyone, then take 20. But in regards to pace of play, i say move on.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue May 30, 2017 11:22 am

"Playing from the desert" is a peril I comment on regularly, as no one here in Phoenix does it "correctly". Yes, picking up and taking equitable stroke control may have been the best option in this scenario, but the succession of drops I took maybe added 90 seconds to the hole. That's less time than it takes one my typical playing partners to get a reading on his laser rangefinder.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the ability to go back on a straight line from the tee is that here in Arizona, there won't be any grass back there. In Phoenix, grass only grows if someone puts in a ton of effort to make it grow, and that makes dropping back on a straight line rarely (if ever) a good option.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Forgot to mention I was outdriven by my younger playing partners off the tee when hitting drivers by 50-80 yards, depending on my slice. Most of the time I'm one of the longer, or longest, hitters in my foursome so that was kinda bummer. One of his drove the green on a 300+ uphill par four (temporarily tee boxes moved up). One of his three eagle putts of the day. The other guy never had an eagle putt but they both broke 80.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Tue May 30, 2017 6:14 pm

jattruia wrote:Nope, wouldn't card a 13, you're right. I'd take a double par and let the handicap system square away what the ESC would be. I see nothing gained with taking that many strokes on a hole, but that's me. If you're not holding up anyone, then take 20. But in regards to pace of play, i say move on.
What I'd not made clear was that I was playing in a club strokeplay competition. Moving on wasn't an option without an N/R.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Had a good day, finally. 41/38=79. First below 80 round in over a month. The few problems I had were mostly as a result of very thick, high, tough, U.S. Open-style rough, where getting out and moving the ball a long way down the fairway was often close to impossible. Hopefully, they will mow tomorrow. It's been 4 or 5 days since they last mowed the rough and right now, that's way too much time. It's growing an inch a day, at least. I'm having to mow my own yard every 3-4 days this time of year.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 pm

DougE wrote:Had a good day, finally. 41/38=79. First below 80 round in over a month. The few problems I had were mostly as a result of very thick, high, tough, U.S. Open-style rough, where getting out and moving the ball a long way down the fairway was often close to impossible. Hopefully, they will mow tomorrow. It's been 4 or 5 days since they last mowed the rough and right now, that's way too much time. It's growing an inch a day, at least. I'm having to mow my own yard every 3-4 days this time of year.
Back home, in the North Dakota prairie where grass is the only indigenous plant species, they would mow Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You could sure tell on Sunday. Man, I hated playing any of the Fargo munis on Sundays. A ball in the rough was as good as lost.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:35 am

JPJ wrote:What I'd not made clear was that I was playing in a club strokeplay competition. Moving on wasn't an option without an N/R.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, when faced with finish the hole or DQ, I would take my lumps like you did. Finish the hole or run out of balls, just keep swinging.

One of the proposed USGA/R&A Rules changes/modifications for 2019 is what one might call a "maximum stroke" competition. The tournament committee will be able to set a "maximum hole score" for a tournament ( say 10 or 12) and every competitor, once they hit the maximum, picks up and records the max. One won't see the PGA Tour adopting this condition of competition but it could be welcome at lower level events.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
JPJ wrote: One won't see the PGA Tour adopting this condition of competition but it could be welcome at lower level events.
I heard John Daly is going to start a petition for the Sr PGAT to adopt a max score.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.