WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Postby GBOGEY » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 pm

My swing and game have been an absolute wreck this week, particularly off the tee. Monday 3 fairways and 2 unplayable drives for an 85. Felt so bad about my driving I went to the range afterword. Of course I felt like I had the situation better quickly. Wednesday 3 fairways and 5 unplayable drives, plus totally lost my iron game for an 89. At one point I started using my FW to tee off, only to pop up two drives very short.

At least these were 2 courses that are quite difficult and I had only played once before. Plus Wednesday had multiple distractions - one of the guys I was teamed up with was absolutely terrible - hard to play with. Plus the foursome in front was incredibly slow - we waited constantly on every hole. They had two old guys walking - now I admire the guys for walking at 70+ years old, but they were the slowest walkers I have ever seen. Think about a slow elderly man and then slow down a lot more. So lots of excuses there.

Yesterday at my mom's to play a familiar course - 6 fairways but still 5 unplayable drives. After an opening birdie stunk rest of day, bad driving, bad ball striking. Only excuse was that 2 of the guys I got paired with were maybe the worst golfers I have ever seen, and slow! They putted out everything. They made Wednesday's guy look decent. I try to be patient, but I don't know how people that bad keep playing. I'm pretty sure that one of the guys didn't do better than DB all day. The other guy may have had a few bogeys but mostly DB+. And they were slow - ended with a 90.

Have I said that all 3 of these rounds were on Bermuda grass? Stuff totally mystifies me, even in the fairways. So these 3 rounds were so bad I almost didn't want to play today. I also went and bought a new type of golf ball because I lost so many the last 3 rounds I needed more and because I had to try something different.

Amazingly I hit the ball pretty well. Still 3 unplayable drives but 8 fairways and the misses were consistent and I think I figured it out by the end of the round - 79. How did that happen after the 3 previous rounds I don't know. Perhaps it was due to being a solo round, but so was Monday, but today I was more relaxed. I've come to some life decisions about future jobs before I played today and previously I was stressed about such things, so maybe that was it.

Sorry for the long rant. Just had to express some golf feelings. Would gladly accept any tips on Bermuda grass before I play again tomorrow.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am

Out of interest G, where were you and what ball did you pick up?
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:45 am

I was in Virginia early in the week but now am in the NC mountains. I usually play Bridgestone 330 RX and picked up some Callaway Chromesoft yesterday which is what I used to play before switching to Bridgestone. Part of this is my affinity and ability to see yellow balls better, but also have normally found that these two balls are best for staying in the fairway. Not right now though.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:25 pm

:thumbs

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:07 pm

If you are ever in the south Eastern Virginia area let me know I can take off work and play anytime with a week or so of notice (well crazy work stuff permitting).

That really goes for everyone on the site.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:11 pm

So two days after shooting 3 miserable rounds in a row, especially the 3rd (what I didn't mention is that I stopped counting strokes when I maxed at DB so the 90 was really about 95) I shot a really terrific 76. The score doesn't tell the whole story - not knowing the course was a factor in 3 of the bogeys (there are severe elevation changes - I hit good shots just didn't understand the elevation) and I had 6 good looks at birdie that sniffed the hole but didn't go in. The two birds I made were a wedge from 100 yards to 1 foot and another wedge from 85 yards to 2 inches, just missing my 2nd eagle.
shot.JPG
shot.JPG (39.62 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Driver was great - hit 10 of 12 fairways. One of the misses is because I really need to hit FW as the fairway narrows considerably at my driver distance but again still getting used to the elevation changes and not realizing how short the hole plays. The other was a short loss of focus where I put one way into the muck. I promptly hit another and made birdie on the par 5 with that ball for a bogey for the hole.

So what was different - who knows. I did pay a lot of attention to where my driver was aimed and made sure that my set up seemed correct, but really who knows. One I got into the fairway, my wedge game was on fire. The mystery of golf.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 pm

GBOGEY wrote:...and another wedge from 85 yards to 2 inches, just missing my 2nd eagle.

Your picture of your near-eagle is similar to a great shot of mine today, of which I also took a picture. 151-yard, somewhat uphill, 7i approach around and over a tree from the rough. Drew it perfectly around the top of the tree. Almost carried it into the hole. 5 inches short (see ballmark). Unfortunately, coming out of the rough, it bounced about 10-12 feet by. Still made par though.
Attachments
Almost flew into hole.jpg
Almost flew into hole.jpg (214.82 KiB) Viewed 165 times

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 am

As a group that is 3 balls landing within a foot of the hole.

The 6i from 149 last week into a stiff wind. I pushed it a little.
Attachments
IMG_20171008_083346.jpg
IMG_20171008_083346.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 159 times
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 am

I'm not nearly as close as these three (congrats guys!) but i'd like to contribute. Uphill par 3. 208 to the flag and i put it to 4 feet.

Rest of the round sucked, but that was a silver lining. Wasn't as picture worthy as the rest though.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:21 pm

I played what i think is the best round of my golfing career today; a +4 76 on a difficult and longish course (72.6/139; 6,790 yds). I've had some really good rounds here from this set of tees, but never broke 80. This one felt really good and I played as consistently as I ever have. the round consisted of 4 bogies and 14 pars (including a 3 putt bogey on a 490 par 4). I shot a +2 in 2013 on a much easier and shorter course, so this one really stands out.

Can't wait to get back out.

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:54 am

Sweet!

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:48 am

I'm jealous. 76 on any par 72 course, from any distance is quite an accomplishment. A lot has to go right. Over 6700 yards and a 139 slope. Wow! You deserve to pat yourself on the back, as well as pats from all of us. Awesome job Jattruia! :yess

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 am

Thank you sir! It was a fun round for sure, and more consistent than i've ever been.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Nice round, jattruia.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:28 pm

14 pars :gay Inspirational! I want to shoot a 76 too.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm

jattruia wrote:I played what i think is the best round of my golfing career today

Something we all wish we could say now and again. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Been going through a very strange phase. Last 3 weeks I've played 14 times. I'd have to classify 7 of those as really putrid for my level. I few mediocre rounds but I really didn't hit the ball solidly at all, and 3 rounds which have been absolutely fabulous. Go figure. Really nice 76 today to close out my home course for the year (it closes early due to too many leaves to maintain). Game was strong all around except my usual putting strength, missed 4 under 5 feet - OUCH! Not sure I'm going to post out the next week or so so I think this closes MY official season with a bang.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:33 pm

I shot a 76 today too, but I have to qualify it as it is a par 70 and I played from the white tees (just under 6000ft) because it was cold and windy. Well not really cold for you hearty folks from the northern climes, but it was the coldest day in quite some time here (since last winter), barely breaking 60F, so I put on some long pants, but it was windy indeed. :lolz Got me 2 birdies too. :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Friday was supposed to be my last day but my wife changed her plans yesterday and so she suggested that I go out one more time. Pretty decent 78 but the highlight was the two birdies. Left a wedge short on the 1st hole but sank a 35 foot putt for bird. Left another wedge way short (happened several times) on the 17th hole and then sank a 55 footer for bird. 90 feet of putts made with 2 putts - pretty sure that's a first for me.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”