WTF did you shoot today?

Duke of Hazards

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Shot 84 on my 'easy' course. Solid ballstriking day. Focused on form/setup, and slowed down my tempo a bit. A few bad chips/pitches kept me over 80. I'm determined. Gonna keep beating on this course until I can break 80.
Bluto did it

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Shot 94 today, with 8 GIRs & 41 putts. Putted like absolute ass. 3 birdie chances inside 8 feet and blew all 3. I felt like the good shots just kept me from shooting triple digits.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Returned to my old hacking grounds Charwood today. Haven’t played all summer and it’s a year I think since I’ve been here. They closed several holes and converted it from 27 to 18. I shot a 94 which wasn’t as bad as it could have been, because I left driver in the bag for most of the round, and because I holed a few lucky putts. It’s weird to look out over what was once fairways and see 4-5ft of brush covering everything. My chipping is still the worst any person could imagine, and my full swings were big hooks for the most part. I made a few pars so did have some fun but good grief my game is shit right now.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm

jfurr wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:44 pm
Returned to my old hacking grounds Charwood today. Haven’t played all summer and it’s a year I think since I’ve been here. They closed several holes and converted it from 27 to 18. I shot a 94 which wasn’t as bad as it could have been, because I left driver in the bag for most of the round, and because I holed a few lucky putts. It’s weird to look out over what was once fairways and see 4-5ft of brush covering everything. My chipping is still the worst any person could imagine, and my full swings were big hooks for the most part. I made a few pars so did have some fun but good grief my game is shit right now.
I am staying in Columbia on Saturday night, ready to play next Sunday (at least until I am so sore from driving 7-8 hours. :up )
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:21 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm
jfurr wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:44 pm
I am staying in Columbia on Saturday night, ready to play next Sunday (at least until I am so sore from driving 7-8 hours. :up )
See my reply on the world am thread
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Played well until running into the backside of a Korean women's outing on the 16th (who were 9 holes ahead when we started). It ruined the good rhythm I had been working with all day. Still carded a 79 (38/41), but was only 3 over after 14. Played the first 15 holes in about two hours. It took another hour to play the last three! God, they were freakin' slow! I won't go into the disregard they had for others here, but there was one instance I could not believe that happened on the 18th, which I'll post over on the Grumble Thread.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:25 pm

So I don't have a real score today. My ball striking was again shit. My irons we're better my wedges we're awesome. But I can barely get the ball airborne off the tee. I'm starting to think it's partly mental. I didn't hit a single good tee shot. I had a couple poor ones that worked out, but none that were good.

On the front 9 I had a miraculous 42. Which had 13 putts with a 3-putt on #2. I had 3 straight holes where I was in the bunker, and these bunkers are shit. No sand and wet. Should just be gur. I only got 1 of them onto the green but nearly chipped in on the other 2, 2nd chips. I rolled in a birdie at #9 to shoot 42. My wedge game is the best it's ever been. Probably due to knowing my yardages so well from the launch monitor.

On the back 9 I wouldn't even be able to give a score. So many 2nd shots and just rushing to get done it wouldn't be something I could post anyways. Just lots of practice.

It was hot humid and the ball was traveling a mile. My sw I normally won't hit over 105 yards. #17 was 120 and I flew the flag stick. Same with my wedge into 15 it was 118 to the flag. Hit a cut sw right over the flag. 3/4 smooth 7is flying flag sticks that were 175. It was insane. The ball was just going so far (other than driver and 3w). On #12 I had 142 and seriously considering hitting gw. I went for a smooth pw and chunked it. Dropped another ball pulled gw and hit it 6' short of the hole.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Speaking of short game. I hit this to 6' when my goal was just to get it on the green. It's hard to see but the ball is settled down and I believe technically in the bunker here. Hard wet sand under the ball. Picture doesn't really do it justice.
Attachments
IMG_20180819_172937.jpg
IMG_20180819_172937.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 566 times
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:02 pm
So I got around to looking at stats for the round.

28 putts, this is my first sub 30 putting round in years,
So I just realized yesterday I had 29 putts after 13 on the front side I had 2 1-putts and no 3-putts on the back. Sub 30 putting is so much easier when you don't hit the GIR.

So since my son got me a new "ball marker" when we were at Myrtle Beach I have yet to have a round with more than 30 putts. Don't give me that "sample size" response either.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 am

Tale of two nines. 39/46. Not just score. The front nine I played alone, quickly, and had fun. The back nine I had to join up another single. He was fine but still managed to get in my way mentally. The people in front slowed down as well. I struggled to hit the ball and didn't have fun.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Got up around 6:30am this morning. I checked the tee times online for a course I occasionally play, Huron Meadows. For some reason, we senior citizens don't like to play really early. There was a 4-some teeing off at the 1st tee time of 7:04am. Then nobody until 7:52am, when it quickly was going to become a zoo. Hmmm....

I hurriedly cleaned up and got dressed. On the road at 7am, 20 minutes from garage to parking lot. It was a ghost town. I signed in and the clubhouse guy told me I was lucky because around 8am they were booked solid. Tee in the ground at 7:30am and I was off. I finished at around 10:30. Course was lush, greens smooth. Cost me $16 to walk 18. Never waited on a single shot. Saw the 4-some on the back nine about 3 holes ahead of me but never caught them.

As I walked to my car, it was hard to miss the 35-40 people waiting to tee off or putting on the practice green.

As a semi-retired old guy, I live in golf heaven for 9 months a year. And some years the other 3 aren't too bad.

p.s. I shot 79. A few too many 3-putts or it could have been really good.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 pm

I am in Hawaii (Big Island) right now and you may have heard that hurricane Lane is approaching dangerously close. It was a cat 5 just a few days ago and is now weakening to a cat 2 and probably cat 1 or tropical storm soon. Nonetheless, with a radius of more than 200 miles, it is bringing with it lots of rain and winds...

Anyway, all that to say that I played yesterday (the storm was a cat 3 at this point) with my local friends, at the drop of a hat, seeing a little lull in the activity around the course. There were only 3 groups out, including us, on the whole course and we had to finish in 3 1/2 hours before the course was to close at 1pm. We called the round "hurricane golf" and it was indeed abnormal conditions, but quite a bit of fun at the same time.

I shot 92 and was the lowest (tied) of the group. At the worst, i had a tee shot into the wind (35-45 sustained and gusting over 50 mph), with a driving, horizontal rain. I tried a low stinger type shot with the driver but got underneath the ball: it flew high and a bit left, but i was so focused on keeping my head down, because i was blinded, that I had no idea what had happened. I made a 6 on that par 4 (handicap 1 too), but that's besides the point. The point was to be out there and enjoy it somehow, which we did. So, thumbs up for hurricane golf!
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Everytime I hear them talking about Hurricane Lane, I keep thinking of the movie Better Off Dead.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Got the World Am off to a rip roaring start, 103 with a 10, a 12, and a birdie on a par four after driving to the back fringe. The 12 was a bal in hazard, then three straight shots OB, by a total of four yards.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:50 pm

Is there an award for most improved?
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:06 am

My motto would be, if you fail, fail spectacularly. Unfortunately, my 12 was not the highest score on a hole, someone had a 16.

Theoretical question, though, if you are playing a par 4, and your drive finds the back fringe, is it considered a fairway hit?

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:53 am

On the fairway hit question, undoubtedly yes. The term fairway does not appear in the Rules of Golf. The term used is "closely mown area" and the fringe definitely qualifies as such.

As for your 12, I have you beat with a 13 recently and just a couple of days ago, I managed to score a 10 on a par 5 when I was about 120 yards away in the fairway (or closely mown area) in 2. Don't ask me how, but it involved bladed bunker shots and whiffs while trying flops, etc... :banana

Golf is Hard!!
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 am

Depends on what stats you are calculating.

If it's a one dimensional stat like fw % or gir. Then sure it's a fw. If you are calculating something more complex like strokes gained and you used your putter next then it really doesn't matter, but I'd call it a green hit under regulation.

If you don't use it to track stats then the question doesn't really matter. Call it a hazard that you were able to play out of, your score is the same.

Nice shot.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:42 am

Wow, a green hit (well, fringe hit---close enough) in under regulation, yet a 10 and a 12 on two other holes in the same round. Golf gods were really screwing with you!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Well, I pretty much made the rookie mistake of over-indulging in the open bar atmosphere of the World's Largest 19th hole last night. Shot a 102 today, and never really had a comfortable swing. Greens were real slow today, and I waited until my last hole to blow up with a ten. The positive is that I was not the dumbass that got arrested in the middle of the third fairway. Dumbass goes off and steals the putter out of the golf bag of the head pro at the golf course. Cops arrested and cuffed him in the middle of the fairway (he was caught on camera plain as day.) He was hauled off with his ball and cigarette still sitting in the fairway. There was $1720 in the skins pot today, with only two winners, those bastards. :fu

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Interesting day - don't know whether to be thrilled or unhappy. 16 GIR's (2 on fringe but clear putting situation) but 5 over par 75 as I made ugly DB's on both holes on which I didn't have a GIR. Had wedge in my hand for a GIR both times. Also 3 putted for bogey 3 times to go along with 2 birdies. In my defense, 2 of the 3 putts were from over 60 feet but I made two high quality recovery shots to even hit the green from that distance. So clearly played well except for a few holes but also feel like I let some get away.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am

Played down near Columbus at Cumberland Trail yesterday with a couple of friends. Took the day with a 90 and low back 9 with a 43. I'm not unhappy with how I played.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:30 pm
Speaking of short game. I hit this to 6' when my goal was just to get it on the green. It's hard to see but the ball is settled down and I believe technically in the bunker here. Hard wet sand under the ball. Picture doesn't really do it justice.
Hey JFish, saw the pic again today in your post above from Aug 19. Nice shot to get it close from there, btw. I'm guessing a flop. But I have to make a wisecrack comment of what jumped out at me most in your pic.

Cute little rough you got there in Virginia. I long for rough like that. Here's what we tough old guys have to play out of up here in Maryland. :-P
IMG_4640.JPG
IMG_4640.JPG (2.98 MiB) Viewed 346 times
Just breaking your stones. Couldn't help myself. That rough is so appealing. I want that here!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

Yeah there are no courses around here with really thick rough. I've played some in Williamsburg that have real rough, but most of the courses around here have Augusta National style rough +/- 1/4".

We have some "native areas" near a few holes with fescue that is knee high. But other than that our rough isn't very intimidating.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am

So yesterday I went and played a new course that was supposed to be a really nice course.

So I don't even know what I shot, it was something in the 90's. I wasn't at risk of hitting triple digits (shot a 42? on the front), but I also had no shot at breaking 90. Lots of 7's on the back 9, I think I had 4 in a row on holes 11-14. I didn't hit the ball well on the first 2 holes, then on hole 3 I shanked a wedge into the native area, and on hole 4 i had a pretty impossible lie near the green. After that I really got into a groove swing wise and shot 1 over on the last 5 holes of the front side, with 4 birdie attempts. My group decided to stop at the turn and there was a line of frat boys ordering double screw drivers or some crap. So 25 min later we headed to the back 9, where I made 1 good swing the entire time.

Now to the excuses course setup. So I've always heard how nice of a golf course it is in the area. I'd been looking forward to playing it for 2 years I'd just been too lazy to actually get over there even though it's only 25 min from my house. I haven't played a course with houses and OB lining so many holes since I moved from Florida. Every hole on the back 9 had one side of it lined with OB with the exception of #18 which had water on both sides of the FW (I found both lakes on that hole). With my driver issues I hit 3 shots OB and spent a lot of time in the opposite rough trying to stay clear of it. Other than that I really liked the actual layout of the course. It was completely different than what I normally see around here. Lots of mounding and the rough was frequently a penalty. The downside to the rough is it wasn't consistent, there were patches where there was nothing, or crab grass had taken over. Then there were areas that look like Doug's picture above where the ball just drops to the bottom and can barely be seen. Other than the patchy nature of it I kind of liked having that extra challenge. I wasn't bothered too much by it around the green, but hitting longer shots was occasionally impossible. The guys I was playing with were all members and they were all complaining that it was "unplayable" that wasn't what I saw, but hey to each their own. The greens were just as spotty as the rough with many dead spots. The bunkers looked like they hadn't been touched by maintenance crew in 6-7 months. Somehow I never got in one though. After seeing the bunkering on the 1st 2 holes I decided to stay really far away from them.

What I found out was that a year ago the course was amazing and the owner tried to get it rezoned for commercial real estate. The city apparently told him to pound sand and he's been trying to sell it ever since. So he just has no desire to put any money into it. Pretty sad given there were a lot of nice features to the course
Keep it short stupid.