WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Like I said, I'm jealous, Phil, GBogey, King, whatever you'd like to be called. You are the #1 seed here! My respect, sir. :up
I've still a ways to go to match your 4.5 index.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:19 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 am
DougE wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Like I said, I'm jealous, Phil, GBogey, King, whatever you'd like to be called. You are the #1 seed here! My respect, sir. :up
I've still a ways to go to match your 4.5 index.
Don't go by the Grint. My real index sits at 4.9 and I haven't entered an official score all month due to injury and playing a lot of solo rounds. It's more like 5.5 by now. Maybe higher.

Like it or not, you're the King. I bow to you. All hail the King!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 pm

Shot 97. Still struggling mightily with irons/wedges. Need more practice time to work things out. I did have an eagle and a birdie which eased the pain a bit.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:22 pm

+7 at beachside pitch/putt yesterday. Not a bad score considering how ocean breezy it was out there. But score schmore. Noticeable ball flight improvement with full wedge swings, even the 60 degree, even into the wind. :thumbs
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:46 am

Shot a mediocre 86 at Windmill yesterday. Played the back better than the front because I smoothed out my swing and found more fairways.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:42 am

Shot 87 (40/47) with a birdie. Short game slowly improving, putting is actually pretty decent now. Still trying to get comfortable over the ball with irons, been tweaking my setup a little bit (front foot was too flared out at address), also working on slowing down my swing tempo.
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 pm

I have had a mini recovery from what seems like a 2 year slump. Shot a 78 at my "home" course today. https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0

I started slow and did not have good feel for the greens and the chipping speeds. Eventually I got in a groove. By the turn it had become very windy. While I missed a lot of greens, the misses were close and I had relatively simple chips. I do not recall ever parring every hole on a nine.

There may be some hope left for me. :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:03 pm

MattF wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:46 am
Shot a mediocre 86 at Windmill yesterday. Played the back better than the front because I smoothed out my swing and found more fairways.
I love MattF crack of F'n dawn posting. :thumbs

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Nice round Brian. Impressive back 9.
Bluto did it

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:30 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 pm
I have had a mini recovery from what seems like a 2 year slump. Shot a 78 at my "home" course today. https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
I do not recall ever parring every hole on a nine.

There may be some hope left for me. :yess
You need to go for the perfect 9 - 7 fairways, 9 GIRs, all pars or better - almost did it once. Missed the last fairway by 5 feet. No birds though.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:41 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:03 pm
MattF wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:46 am
I love MattF crack of F'n dawn posting. :thumbs
:banana I may as well when I get up to "exercise" at 4.40.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 pm
Shot 97. Still struggling mightily with irons/wedges. Need more practice time to work things out. I did have an eagle and a birdie which eased the pain a bit.
Caw Caw! :claps
Everything Sucks

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:01 pm

So bad, so good.

How bad was my putting today? Seven good looks at birdie, only one birdie. Three 3 putts, two of them ugly from only 25 feet putting uphill. Argh!

How good was my ball striking? 15 GIR's with 7 good looks at birdie, and with the 3 misses coming from a bad wedge (but only one of many), a 6i that came up 5 yards short with a big gust of wind after I hit, and a beautiful hybrid from 185 after my only bad drive that ran low and hard under a tree but then off the back of the green.

+4 74 - very good and satisfying but felt like I left a few out there.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:01 pm
So bad, so good ...+4 74 - very good and satisfying but felt like I left a few out there.
:up We all aspire to be bad like you.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

I feel that I have to remind you that I’m typically playing a 6050 yard par 70 114 slope. My 74 is comparable to Doug’s 78/79. Regardless my play has been really strong the last six weeks and that’s with sub normal putting. Don’t know if this is the “mother of all hot streaks” or if I am mysteriously improving.

I will say this- playing a low slope course has taught me a lot about how to play. Not something I would have expected.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 pm

91. Was pretty good off the tee and not too bad on irons but had a number of chunked and skulled chips again. On #17 one of my buddies said my short game is that of an arthritic gorilla. It's really infuriating.
Everything Sucks

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 pm

For example: 194 yard par 3. I hit a 5 iron very nicely to the left side of the green on the fringe which was exactly what I was aiming for to avoid the bunkers and sucker pin on the right. Should be a simple matter of chipping over to the hole and hopefully making a par put. I walked off with double. This happened several times, rather than up and down for par walking off with double.
Everything Sucks

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:48 am

Trying to decide how to make sense of last night's 9 hole outing. I usually play this course +2-+3 pretty consistently. However, I want to enter a tournament coming up and one round is from the back tees - +400 yards to my normal. So I decided to play 9 from back/gold.

Didn't go well. My driver abandoned me turning the longer hole into really long. Turned what is normally a routine par 5 into an 8. Finished +6 with 5 GIRs but didn't gain the confidence I wanted. On the other hand, if I could have turned the part 5 into a bogey it would have been relatively normal.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:08 am

Not playing well right now. Averaged 90 the last two rounds. Ugh! :puke
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:08 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:08 am
Not playing well right now. Averaged 90 the last two rounds. Ugh! :puke
Welcome to my world.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:38 am

I shot a 42/43 at Neshanic Valley, blue tees, around 6200. Putting sucked but I moved the ball around pretty decent for a semi-annual golfer. Towards the end I could feel my focus fading. Play was a little bit slow, weather was indian summer, and I caught myself wishing the round was over, even though I was having a great time. Probably my stomach was empty, but also I just lack the stamina to concentrate for 18 holes, because I am simply not getting out there and logging the miles. Nor honing the short game and whatever else goes into getting better at real golf. Really looking forward to this weather turning cold and me pursuing my dreams in earnest; right now it feels like endless summer though.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Had one of those can't believe what happened today things.

So I've entered a tournament for next week as I want to test my game. Mind you, this is only my 2nd official tournament (I entered 2 others cancelled by rain). The issue as I said a few weeks ago is that even though it's a senior tournament my age group is from the back tees at one of the courses, so I'll be playing 6545 (par 71) instead of my normal 6275. I've played a few 9's from the back to get ready. Basically there's a par 4 and a par 3 that are tough to reach, but if my driver behaves I think I can handle this course. Of course, my driver has been shaky the last two weeks. So I went today for a final practice round on this course before the tournament.

Driver did okay. Not as long as I would like, but straight so no complaints. Ball striking was decent. My short game has been rocking lately, especially at this course (saved 3 of 6 during yesterday's 9 and 3 of 5 on the front 9 today). After 12 holes I'm +1 ... from the back tees. Feeling really good about my game, haven't had a terrible shot at all.

The 13th hole is a short par 3. Usually an 8 or 9i from my normal tees but today was a 6i. I pulled my shot left ... way left OB. Since I was prepping for a tournament, I hit another one ... left, way left OB. With the 3rd I just tried to make sure that I didn't go OB. Missed the green, a feeble chip and 2 putt and I had an 8 on the easiest par 3 on the course.

Went on to finish with a 79, +8 despite the +5 snowman. For handicap purposes it was still a very good round, 76 +5/5.7. I guess I left thinking a 79 is no good in a tournament but if I had made bogey or DB on the 13th I'm probably competitive on a net basis. Wish me luck.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 pm

@GBOGEY2 A 79 in an over 50/senior event will be respectable from 6500 yards. Tournament scores are typically always a bit higher than average for all but the best competitors.

Also, my suggestion is to make sure your long irons, hybrids and fairway wood(s) are working well. Spend time on those in the days leading up to the event this week. I would not be worried about playing golf and scoring over the next few days, but I would try to get out on the course (the tournament one if possible) and just work with those clubs from the distances you will likely have for approaches. Play the back tees for the added pressure and the more likely distances you'll need to reach in regulation. As long as you can get out there when it isn't too busy, and hopefully alone, drop MANY balls from those distances and hit to real targets from a variety of lies. Range work is slightly helpful, but practice on the course is the best. If you have to skip putting in order to keep your pace well ahead of the group behind, I recommend you do so. As long as you trust your putting stroke in general, I wouldn't waste practice time on the greens until the day of the event when you should have some realistic idea of what to expect for speed. I'm not saying don't practice putting at all, just don't give it equal practice time now. Just worry about making sure your putting great swings on your long clubs and becoming more consistent. Find something to focus on---a swing thought that works well---and ride it through the tournament. And then beyond.

Playing nearly everyday from 6500-6600 yards really helped me become quite skilled with my longer clubs and boost my confidence with all clubs throughout my bag as a result. I moved up to the blue tees about three years or so ago specifically to push myself. It worked. (Well, it did until about 2 months ago when some kind of wrench got thrown deep into my swing, but that's another sad story/thread which you've already heard me whine about.) You already definitely have the game to play that yardage, Phil. It will only make you better. You don't need to drive it 250. You just need to be solid with 6 iron-3W. Do that and a 220 drive won't hurt you. And with that, comes confidence. My money's on you.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks for the encouragement @DougE . To be clear I have no pretensions of winning the tournament - there's going to be a few guys who can reach all the par 5's in two although it's possible that those guys will be in the 50-54 age group. But I've been playing well and particularly well on these two courses so I think I can perform on a net basis. My goal is to have an average score or better in tournament conditions - that should be enough to have a respectable showing on both a net basis and for my age group. My hybrids and short game have been rocking lately, iron play has been decent to very good. It probably comes down to driving the ball decently and handling the nerves - and not getting off to a bad start.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:49 am

A very blah 92. Just couldn't get it going on the front for a 49 but came alive a bit on the back for a 43.