WTF did you shoot today?

bryan k

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by bryan k » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I got screwed today by my least favorite rule in the USGA rulebook.

My goal for 2015 is to either shoot better than +10 or to shoot better than 80. I've done both but never at the same time.

Today, I played at a par 70 course, which is the closest I have to a home course at the moment. After carding a 40 on the front nine (two doubles, one bogey, and six pars), I parred 10 and 11. Par 12 is a dogleg right par 5. I hit what I viewed was a perfect shot off the tee. It kissed the right edge of the fairway fading just slightly to the left. We all saw it land. It was perfectly placed. We all saw it bounce and roll down the fairway. We never saw it again. I even did a fist pump while it was in the air because I thought it was my best shot of the day.

I had to take a self-imposed stroke-and-distance penalty, drive back to the tee, and try again. I ended up with a double.

My final score: 81.

I had seven up-and-downs with zero three-putts for 29 total putts. I was not hitting greens, but I was saving pars. I ended up with four doubles, three bogeys, and 12 pars. All three of my other doubles were due to missing greens from around 50 yards.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Shot a 91 at Tannenhauf in Alliance, OH. The front 9 was very ordinary with a 48 (BTW, I do not hit my 3H 282 yards) but I came back on the back 9 with a 43. https://www.golfpadgps.com/round/R67E8P
Last edited by MattF on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Throw me another ball will ya!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:08 am

RTJ Capitol Hill (Legislator) 7/4/2015 7 6 3 5 6 4 5 5 5 8 3 6 6 6 4 4 7 4 94 69.4 131 21.22

Sort of an eh day, course was playing CPO was a little sloppy. A little wild with my driver got me into some trouble.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:44 pm

I couldn't hit an iron shot to save my life.

I couldn't putt to save my life.

Only one three putt, though, as most of my first putts were inside of 10'.

And I managed a birdie on 18.

I escaped with an 87.

All in all, I'm very happy with my weekend rounds. I feel like I could have played better, but thanks to solid play with my driver and with my wedges, I beat my handicap in three successive rounds.

Now I need to find out how my iron swing got back over-the-top on me. I'm not doing it with any other club, either. Hybrids, fairway woods, driver, and wedges are all perfect. The irons are costing me strokes.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I subbed in the Thursday league again tonight. 42 on the back nine (3 pars, 5 bogeys, and 1 double; 16 putts). Never got comfortable. Rolled in a 15 footer on #11 for bogey (don't ask about the rest) and left a 30 footer right to left downhill 6 inches short on #13 and then my partner starts to read putts for me.

A "thanks, but I got it" didn't work either. Um, I know you birdied 12 and 13, but I've never met you before..leave me alone on the green. I'm usually good about putting outside distractions out of my mind on the course too, but not tonight.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:33 pm

And from the burying the lede department: I shot 76 (+5) last Thursday at Rutgers. New PB by three strokes.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:17 am

brianmk24 wrote:And from the burying the lede department: I shot 76 (+5) last Thursday at Rutgers. New PB by three strokes.
Congrats on the new peanut butter.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:12 am

Congrats on the new PB.

I'm looking forward to being able to play again.
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:21 pm

brianmk24 wrote:And from the burying the lede department: I shot 76 (+5) last Thursday at Rutgers. New PB by three strokes.
Excellent! Well done Brian.
I'm gonna go low this time...

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:13 am

I played the hardest course I've ever played in my life today, and the USGA ratings did not reflect it. I also had what I think was my best round ever all around, and my score did not reflect it. Some stats to chew on:

Greens in regulation: 9
Birdies: 3
Penalty strokes: 9
Three putts: 9
Four putts: 2
Total putts: 45
Total score: 99

The course I played was Stoneridge in Prescott Valley, AZ. It is a mountain course. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I'm going back over my scorecard. Of my 9 penalty strokes, one of them was a bad shot. It was a horrible attempt to get an ugly lie out of a fairway bunker into play. Five of the remaining shots landed in the fairway and rolled into the desert due to the contour of the ground. Two others were lay up shots where I still ran out of fairway, and the last one was a 325 yard drive that I'm still pissed about. That last one, the fairway looked like a piece of Chex serial, and I freaking nailed it right in the middle. It went over the ridge, and the slope brought it right down into the desert far longer than I would have ever expected to hit it in a million years. I'm afraid that if I lay up there, I don't make it to the fairway.

I also had numerous putts on the day that were dying at the hole but just wouldn't stop rolling. One of them rolled clear off the front of the green with a middle pin after a lip out that I couldn't believe didn't drop. One other green had such a sharp incline, I couldn't hit the freaking ball hard enough to get it up there. After failing twice, I pulled out a wedge and chipped from the green (sorry greenskeeper). Both of my four-putts were after a green in regulation.

I'm not happy right now. I felt like I played lights out, but I got my ass kicked by the course.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Shot a 14 today.

Got rained out after 3. Stoms just came out of nowhere.

Hit 3/3 greens and 2/2 fairways. Had 8 putts :(
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:19 pm

bryan k wrote:I played the hardest course I've ever played in my life today, and the USGA ratings did not reflect it. I also had what I think was my best round ever all around, and my score did not reflect it. Some stats to chew on:

Greens in regulation: 9
Birdies: 3
Penalty strokes: 9
Three putts: 9
Four putts: 2
Total putts: 45
Total score: 99
Wow. These are some crazy stats, indeed! Time to practice your lag putting on fast greens...
bryan k wrote:I also had numerous putts on the day that were dying at the hole but just wouldn't stop rolling. One of them rolled clear off the front of the green with a middle pin after a lip out that I couldn't believe didn't drop.
Nothing you can do about it now, but remember that the player determines when to call an unplayable: you can take a penalty stroke and replay the previous shot from the same spot as one of the options, so if that putt was relatively short, you feel that you could make it on the second try and you don't think that you are going back up the hill in two, it may be advantageous to take an unplayable right there. :thumbup:

I had this situation happen to me once, and the putt rolled off the green and another 30 yards or so down the hill, but stupidly, I didn't think about using an unplayable and added another 4 shots to get back on the green and into the hole, instead of just 2 with the penalty and the redo. :facepalm
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:04 pm

I am serene and mellow at the moment. Had another MPSGA tournament. I have been bumped to the "A" flight because of recent decent play but essentially I am the worst of 28 players in the "A" flight. Since we are given our full handicap I can compete but I suffer an inferiority complex at times.

Shot a "78" (par 71 course) with a couple birdies. Found out I was one of the winners last week in the 50:50 raffle and got handed $50 at the sign in. It is possible one or two of the birdies will get me a skin and the "78" net "69" may put me in one of the top 5 slots with some more $$. Great weather, decent golf, I kicked the Little Irish Bastard's butt and I might get something down the road. Nice day. Hand me another beer. ;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:10 pm

For the first time in my life I played golf on consecutive days.

Yesterday, at Hollingbury Golf Course I scored 111 (One par, five bogeys, seven doubles).

Today, at my home course, Beckenham Place Park, I scored 104 in our monthly medal (one par, seven bogeys, five doubles). My front nine cost me just 46 strokes, but that contrasts starkly with the back nine score of 58!

Both days were very hot, and I never do well at anything in the heat.

Now, I'm just very tired, and my feet hurt ("My sight is poor. My legs are old and bent...")

I'm getting some better distances with my driver (200 yard hits is become less unusual) but I've lost the control I used to have. A reminder about playing as if my elbows are bound to my torso has helped with that somewhat though.

Am losing too many shots around the green...
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:40 am

Much better today.

Ten greens in regulations, but no birdies. In my defense, the greens were freshly aerated.

Final score: 89. That was with two stroke and distance penalties off the tee.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:38 am

I missed this. Wow! Well done. Crushed your previous personal best. Time to quit golf now that you have mastered this game. ;)
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Shot a +4 39 for another 9hole practice round.

As much as I hate "tigerisms" I feel like that was the worst score I could have made with how well I struck the ball.
Keep it short stupid.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Today was the day after I played golf on consecutive days.

I was so tired that all I could do was sit in the living room and play on the Xbox!

But, my standard of play on day two was good enough to make me think that perhaps I could play in our two day club championship (25/26 July) without making a COMPLETE fool of myself.

Wish me luck...
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:23 pm

RTJ Capitol Hill (Legislator) 7/10/2015 5 6 4 6 8 4 4 6 5 4 4 6 7 6 6 3 6 6 96 71.4 139 20.00

Took off work early to get a round in. Very hot and humid, plus could not hit a good shot off of the tee.
RTJ Capitol Hill (Senator) 7/11/2015 3 4 4 4 4 5 3 5 6 6 6 5 4 5 5 4 7 5 85 68.1 121 15.78

Very humid then hot. Played a really good front nine. Getting thecourse in tournament shape for the LPGA next month. Then had an absolute downpour hit on 15.

RTJ Capitol Hill (Legislator) 7/12/2015 7 6 3 6 7 5 5 5 4 5 4 7 8 7 4 4 7 4 98 74 143 18.97

Probably played a tee box further back than I should have, but really was playing good from tee to green. Dropped a ton of shot around and on the green. Short game and putting atrocious. Oppressively humid for a 6:30 am tee time. Got done with the round, and shorts literally were dripping sweat when I took them off to hop through the shower.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:12 pm

srogers13 wrote: ... shorts literally were dripping sweat when I took them off ...

Dripping sweat. We don't do dripping sweat around my parts anymore. We are lucky to hit 80 degrees. Only thing dripping in Michigan this summer is the rain water off my rain suit.
Let's Play 36

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:36 pm

On Friday, I played lights out and got my butt kicked by the course.

Today, I kicked my own butt. It was ugly. Ten greens in regulation yesterday. Two today. And I three-putted them both.

The problem was in getting off the tee. Hell, everything was a push-fade. I think I was having trouble getting my wrists through the impact zone. It was ugly. The front nine was consistently bad with a triple, four doubles, and four bogeys (51). The back nine was far more consistent, but I screwed up the long holes pretty bad. Aim for the bunker, they said. It's out of reach, they said. I hit my one good drive of the day right in that freaking bunker. At any rate, the back had six bogeys, a par, and two quadruple bogey 9s.

Total score: 101.

The back was a pretty simple game. Bad drive. Escape shot in the general direction of the green. Chip up. Miss a short putt.

Of course, the par 5s is where that fell apart. Two stroke and distance penalties on the same hole, and then the horrible bunker fiasco.

But I did rattle off a par save on number 18.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 am

JPJ wrote:
Wish me luck...
Good luck mate.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:05 am

Forgot this in my last round recap (if anyone cared).

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfish11/round/459085
Keep it short stupid.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:42 am

jasonfish11 wrote:Forgot this in my last round recap (if anyone cared).

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfish11/round/459085
I care. :cry: Great round, not too shabby.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 am

bryan k wrote: I had to take a self-imposed stroke-and-distance penalty, drive back to the tee, and try again. I ended up with a double.
There is nothing self-imposed about it. It is not yours to impose, or not impose. Once a ball is lost, the die is cast, the penalty has been incurred. The only choice is between acknowledging or denying the truth. That said, you have my respect. And more importantly, you have self-respect.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.