WTF did you shoot today?

MattF

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by MattF » Tue May 29, 2018 5:53 am

sjduffers wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 pm
I scored my best round ever today: 71 on a par 70 course that is fairly straightforward but with some tricky greens. I played from the back tees (6200 yards) as usual here, with 3 birdies and 4 bogeys: I only hit 7 greens in regulation but made 7 of 11 up and downs, and needed only 26 putts (10 1-putts). The short game was pretty damn good, for me.

It's a shame I can't post it, as I played the first 14 holes by myself before I caught up with the group ahead that had started about 45 minutes earlier than me. I walked this relatively hilly terrain in 3 hours and 15 minutes, and 90+F heat.

I felt tired afterwords, but good! :banana
:thumbs :thumbs
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:51 am

Very nice sj.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 am

sjduffers wrote:
I scored my best round ever today: 71 on a par 70 course that is fairly straightforward but with some tricky greens. I played from the back tees (6200 yards) as usual here, with 3 birdies and 4 bogeys: I only hit 7 greens in regulation but made 7 of 11 up and downs, and needed only 26 putts (10 1-putts). The short game was pretty damn good, for me.
Fabulous - congrats!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 29, 2018 7:44 am

That's far better than my best round ever. Very impressive. Awesome job SJD!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Here is my email to the course. The owner's contact info isn't on the website, so it just went to the general email they have. I'll be interested to see the response.

Hello,
I am writing to let you know about my recent experience at VB National. First I must say it’s my favorite course in the area, and luckily for me I live right around the corner (it would only be 4 drivers per google maps). I love the layout and condition of the course, it doesn’t let you just bomb drivers all day and requires you to put the ball in specific places. With the exception of some areas around the green right now, the course is always really well maintained and the greens are amazing.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the staff seems to forget that golf is a service industry. I’ve seen numerous instances in the past which leave a bad taste in my mouth but the my last visit there really made me question if I’m going to be returning anytime soon, even with how much I like the course. I didn’t want to write bad reviews online, instead I wanted to give you a little background about what I’ve seen and let you decide if you would like to handle it internally first.

On my last visit I arrived around 6:40am on what I knew would be a busy day. I walked in and told the man behind the counter that I was a single, and didn’t have a tee time; but I was hoping he had a 2 or 3-some he could pair me with sometime this morning. The response I received was an audible sigh (of frustration) followed by “It’s a really busy day I’m pretty packed this morning…I have a 2-some going off at 7:12.” I responded “That will work for me. I have tried calling before and I’m not allowed to make a tee-time for a single. I always get told to come out and they will see what they can do.”

Then at 7:12 we were joined by another single to round out our group. One of the 2-some was running late and the starter said we could give him 2-3 min but they were too full to give him more time. We said we were ok with this and would just start when he asked us to. I felt this was nice of the starter to let us wait a short time, although I would have understood if he said we just had to go off given how busy it was. There was 1 group in front of us and it was a 2-some. Anyways we tee off as a 3-some around 7:15 when the group in front was getting on the green of #1, and played 4 holes as a 3-some. The 4th arrived and his buddy in our group went to meet him and said they would meet us back at #6. So me and the other single played #5, then met up with the other 2 on #6. I had to provide that information as a little background for the next issue I ran into.

When we were walking off #8 green we were met by the person who was the starter when we teed off. He told us we were a little more than 1 hole behind as the group in front had already headed to #10. He asked us to please close the gap, as it was “backing up behind us.” I looked back on #8 and the 2-some behind us was over 250 yards out (I had 220 into the front edge and they were further out than I was). I told him that the group in front was a 2-some and we were not playing slow. We felt rushed on #9, and when we finished I looked at my phone. It was 8:52, 1 hour and 40 min from our tee time (1:37 from when we teed off). I stopped at the club house to get some water and said to the marshal/starter who was in the pro-shop “Hey, I appreciate what you are trying to do as I hate 5 hour rounds; but we just finished 9 holes in 1 hour 40 min as a 4-some. That is lightning for a 4 ball. Please try to make sure your criticism is warranted next time.” He responded with “yeah I came in here and realized all of that.” There was no apology, or even a sense of remorse/regret.

I generally play as a single, and because of that I’ve often been slowed down by the group ahead. Normally I just chip & putt to keep my distance, but this makes me very aware of the groups behind me. We were never “holding up” the 2-some behind us the entire day. Example we were leaving the 18th tee box when they were getting out of their cart on the 17th tee box. We talked about letting them play through if they caught up to us, but they never really did. Nor did I ever look back to see them waiting (well except one time on #12 because we all botched that hole).

The other thing I question is why if it was such a busy day was there a decision to have 3 groups of 2 early in the morning and stick 2 singles with the same group in the middle? That seems like poor course management. The 2nd single should have been paired with the 2-some behind our group.

I’ve seen other things in the past that leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I elected to let them go as “one-offs”. But I couldn’t let this day go, and I won’t continue to come here if this continues, even though I really love the course layout and condition. I come to VB national pretty often due to the proximity to my house, and when my son gets a little older I plan to become a member at a course in the area.

The last thing I want to add is that there is an older guy probably 5’6” to 5’8” who works in the pro-shop occasionally (sometimes even the cart barn). I wish I knew his name, but the only thing I can think to pinpoint him is I found out he also teaches a yoga class for seniors somewhere. He is extremely nice and I’ve never had any issue with him, if you could have your entire staff modeled after him it would be a 180 degree difference.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Good job. I hope you get a reasonable and respectful response from management. BTW, highlighting the good attitude of the employee as you did in your last paragraph was a fine finishing note.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:13 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 pm
Good job. I hope you get a reasonable and respectful response from management. BTW, highlighting the good attitude of the employee as you did in your last paragraph was a fine finishing note.
The old management theory of "sandwiching" criticism.

Positive
Negative
Positive

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 29, 2018 11:25 pm

78 in a great head to head duel with my 28 year old, 7 handicapper, buddy who works at the club. Our first time getting out together after much build up and talk. We fought each other shot for shot, but in the end I got him by 4 strokes. He out drove me all day by 30-40 yards, and had a good short game too. I had 2 penalties/3 doubles, but 3 birdies too. Was solid in all aspects of game for the most part. Felt good to beat a good young player. One with a good game who is 30+ years younger than me. We both played from the same tees (Blue). I earned some more respect around the club today, and not just for being old. Very satisfying.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed May 30, 2018 1:05 am

Well done, Doug. Show some of these youngsters!
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Backed up yesterday's 78 with a 79 today. 42/37 which included two penalties on the back, and a little bad luck on the front.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed May 30, 2018 7:46 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm
Backed up yesterday's 78 with a 79 today. 42/37 which included two penalties on the back, and a little bad luck on the front.
Solid golf right there, especially on that tough course of yours with 2 penalties! I had a 79 myself today but it's an(other) straightforward course. I did nothing spectacular, good or bad, except perhaps the 30 footer made for birdie on the first hole. The rest was blah... but it was over in 3.5 hours (walking as a twosome). :ohyeah

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks SJD. You, too, are playing some damn good golf of late. Good going.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:59 am

You are both playing really well. And it's pissing me off :gross. But keep it up, it's good motivation.

I'm struggling by playing golf swing and not golf right now. I'm not making massive changes, just some small things that when done make a massive difference in timing, but it's leading to poor scoring when my attention is split between getting the ball in the hole and putting the right move on the ball.

But I'm improving and can tell by my last round. Twice I hit a shot on a par 3 that wasn't quite what I wanted (I didn't get turned correctly). Both wound up on the green and I drained one of the birdie putts, nearly made both. One guy in my group called me Hideki because I was so pissed at my tee shot on 13 I dropped the club. I wound up 30' from the hole, but it was probably the toughest putt on the green, I played about 15' of break and nearly drained it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Weird day today - probably my last round at my #2 course before the move. Was hoping for a good score, let's say 78 or better, so that I can pretty much focus on my home course good byes for the rest of the month.

Was about as good as I can be the first 12 holes - even par with a couple of good birdie putts just missing. Really only 2 bad shots on those 12 holes. On 8 I pulled a 9i on a par 3. I actually thought as I watched it I would have a good chance at scrambling - my short game was rocking - but it hit the cart path twice and bounded away. Left me in deep rough, 40 yards from pin, tree directly in front of me and another limiting my backswing. Hit a great pitch to 20 feet from hole and just left the par putt short - probably the best pitch of my life that ended up 20 feet from the hole. 2nd bad swing on 12 pulled drive into awkward lie with tree blocking me to green. Decided to just concentrate on contact and hit a lovely 5i to 20 feet above hole - clipped some leaves but it worked.

Then on 13 - bad drive, penalty, missed approach, DB. On 14 - drive to rough, horrible 2nd (par 5), penalty, couldn't reach green, DB. Almost birdied 15 and then on 16 - drive into woods, penalty, DB. +6 over 4 holes, two of the DB's were with FW which was the rock of the first 12 holes.

Par on 17 - short par 5, and then got to 18 which is probably the about the hardest and least favorite hole on my three main NJ courses. Decent drive into rough, 5i to green, and then lovely lag from 53 feet to tap in range. After all that shot 78!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:36 am

Nice one G!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am

Sometimes you have to remember that the goal of golf, like a book I read last summer said, is to put the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible. The goal is not to have a perfect Justin Rose swing, although that would be nice. Therapeutic case in point from yesterday.

I came off the course a little ticked as I didn’t really do anything well:
Driving – 6 of 14 fairways with one terrible horrible drive that led to DB. I guess the positive was that there was only one of those.
Putting – 1 for 4 on money putts and two misses on good looks at birdie from about 12 feet.
Ball striking – 7 GIRs (below average but not bad), 5 of 11 on hitting the green with scoring clubs (W-7i) – absolutely pitiful, including the wasting of two of the best drives of the day with poor wedge shots.
Chipping/sand – only 5 of 11 tries were to good make range. Normal is probably 7-9 although I would typically miss a few of the putts.

So when I looked at the scorecard I had to add it up 3 times to be sure – 79. How I asked:
Efficient use of GIRs – 7 GIRS / 7 pars.
Great lag putting – no 3 putts although I frequently wasn’t very close.
Chipping – although I wasn’t up to my usually standards, I did hit 4 very good chips that allowed me to save par. Since I didn’t mess up to cause any bogeys, I guess that this was better than I was thinking.

To quote Tiger, “I shot about the highest score that I could have.” My rule is I’m not allowed to be pissed if I break 80. So I have to remember, the goal is to get the lowest score regardless of how one gets there.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm

sjduffers wrote:
I scored my best round ever today: 71 on a par 70 course
Belated congratulations. 2019 Newport Cup??
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm
sjduffers wrote:
I scored my best round ever today: 71 on a par 70 course
Belated congratulations. 2019 Newport Cup??
Thanks! Dunno, man, that's a long way away...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 pm

I have been complaining about my game this year. My last 4 rounds have been 81, 87, 87, 81. :puke

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0

Today was 65 degrees, cloudy, occasional mist/drizzle and windy (10-12 mph)

The course was soft and played long. On a number of holes the tees were moved up about 10 yards so that helped offset the soggy fairways. Rough was dense but a manageable length. Greens smooth and moderately rolling.

My best overall round of 2018. I started out with my game in control. Missed a 5-6 foot putt on #1 for par but got the stroke back on the next hole with a 3 foot birdie putt. I played #1-4 and then jumped to #7 to get around a 5-some and two other groups who were not pushing the 5-some. Finished up at #18 and had a decision to make - walk out to #6 tee and play #6 and #5 in reverse order or just put par/bogey in for the holes I skipped. Frankly, it was no decision as I had to see what I could do.

I waited on #6 tee box as a couple of 2-somes and 3-somes came along. I explained I was waiting for a gap to play #6 and then #5. No one asked me to join them but no one gave me crap, either. Eventually there was an opening. My tee shot was weak after sitting around for 20+ minutes. I struck the approach well but pushed it a bit and had a 50 foot, severely breaking downhill putt for "birdie". Let's face it, all I wanted was to get it to 3 feet or so. Good read and speed - 3 footer for par. On to #5. 421 yards, into the wind with soft fairways. A good tee shot left me about 200 yards to go and a well struck 3-wood had me on the upslope to the green, 20 yards away. A short pitch left me a slicing 12 footer, which I made. Down the stretch (#16, 17, 18, 6, 5) I made 4 up & downs with a total of 6 putts in 5 holes.

I seemed to have solved my push/slice with the driver. My ball striking was decent and short game was great, along with my putting. I am pumped. Maybe I can still play a little. :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Maybe I can still play a little. :yess
Yes, I think you can. More than just a little. Nice round. Hard fought. Deserved results. :thumbs

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:16 pm

BK and Doug, both the boy who cried suckage. I would slap my dog in the face to shoot a 75.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

I love dogs, so I would NOT slap your dog in the face to shoot a 75. However, I would slap YOU in the face to go low. :lolz

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Played TPC Southwind today 3 days after the Fedex St. Jude tournament. Wow what a tough course. I expected the greens to be fast and unplayable - they really weren't that bad - I heard they are kept at 12 - and they roll really really true. But the greens are very small and quite narrow in some cases - very impressive that the pros hit them like they did. The rough was about the deepest Bermuda I have seen - impossible to judge how the ball would come out. Started on the back nine and had no swing at all - limped in with a 49 but straightened things out with a 40 on the front. I thought I played pretty well on the front and 40 was the best I could do.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 am

Well done sir!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 am

Weird round for Fathers Day. I played at Seven Hills Country Club in Hartville, OH. It's a par 72, 130 slope and 72.1 rating.

Front 9 was absolutely dreadful 1 triple and the rest doubles for a 53. The back 9 something changed and I was on fire! :banana Ended up with a 3 over 39. My best 9 hole score ever. Despite the poor start I was very pleased with my play on the back.