WTF did you shoot today?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Forgot. I played mini golf with my wife and son Sunday. I came in 2nd. I 3-putted the first hole and never took a lead after. I was down 4 shots to my wife at one point and came back to even then she made a hole in one on #17 and 2-putted 18 to seal it.

My wife consistently beats me at mini golf it's really sad.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am

Got to play some practice after work on Tuesday with good results; i finally got driver working again (had to remember Chubbs - "It's all in the hips") and shot +4 over 12 with a 3 bogies, a double, and a bird. It's amazing how getting the driver under control made such a difference. We even teed off on 13 (short par 4) before walking off the course and i was looking at at least a par there as well.

Looking forward to this weekend to see if it continues. I'm heading to Streamsong with 7 others to play a couple rounds at the end of the month, so i'm putting a little pressure on my self as well.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 am

jattruia wrote: I'm heading to Streamsong with 7 others to play a couple rounds at the end of the month, so i'm putting a little pressure on my self as well.

I'm jealous.

Streamsong is one of those at the top of my list to play. Walking 18 in the summertime Florida heat will add some challenge, but the conditions on the course should be great. At least it will be more affordable, relative to winter rates at over 220 bucks, plus caddie and tip. Hope you get to play both the red and blue courses (or even better, the new black one too) and you can give us a short review when you get back. One of these days I'll get there....maybe. Pick me up a tee shirt will ya? ;)

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am

Yeah, we're playing both, already have tee times set up. Really can't wait; looks amazing.

If you'd really like a shirt, just PM me and i'll grab one and ship it out to you.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 pm

When I was in Orlando last month, one of y rounds I was paired up with a guy that used to bartend out there. He was just amazed at the courses and their look, especially for being Florida courses.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Looks like the black course isn't open yet or I would try to play there as well.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:32 pm

jattruia wrote:
Looking forward to this weekend to see if it continues. I'm heading to Streamsong with 7 others to play a couple rounds at the end of the month, so i'm putting a little pressure on my self as well.

Are you playing other courses? If so where?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:40 pm

No, just Streamsong. Staying on property Fri-Sun. So we are playing one round at each course. Unless we sneak another round in Friday afternoon, but we're more thank likely just drinking at the pool.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:20 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
jattruia wrote:

Are you playing other courses? If so where?

There is nothing else close to Streamsong.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Streamsong is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Nearly an hour from anywhere.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 pm

jattruia wrote:I'm heading to Streamsong with 7 others to play a couple rounds at the end of the month, so i'm putting a little pressure on my self as well.

:banana Awesome!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:20 am

Ugh worst ball striking I've seen in a while.

Went bogie bogie bogie birdie.

I hit 2 good full shots, and 2 AMAZING flop shots.

Hole 1 - Perfect drive, shanked my wedge. Down wind ball sitting way down in the rough no green to work with. I threw it way up in the air landed it 2' in front of the hole and rolled out to a 6' putt. I missed
Hole 2 - Heel slice crap drive. Tried to slice a 5i around trees it doesn't turn quite enough. I get a bad bounce and am under some trees. I punch out, blade my wedge across the green. Down hill lie ball sitting down in the rough and green runs away from me. Another flop shot that is better than the 1st nearly hits the flag stick and drops. I make the 4' bogie putt.
Hole 3 - crappy 4i into a stiff breeze put it in the bunker. Leave myself 15' from the bunker and miss it.
Hole 4 - literally drop kicked my drive hit a crappy lay up. I had 147 into the wind. Decided to just hit a smooth 7i. It was all over the flag stopping 12' past the hole, and I sank the putt.

I haven't struck the ball that poorly in a LONG time. Not sure what happened.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Could easily be the worst 83 I've ever shot. I wish my driver would have broken on the 1st hole, and my iron play wasn't much better.

I had a great double on hole 9 w/ 2 penalties. :facepalm

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfis ... nd/1715945

Some how I was chipping like a PGA tour player with the exception of 2 shanks and 1 fat. I was knocking everything else so close. The biggest issue I have w/ GameGolf is it's lack of a "true" short game strokes gained. It includes everything inside 100 yards as not on the green "short game." I believe it should be everything inside 40 or 50 yards.
Attachments
strokes-gained 7-16.png
strokes-gained 7-16.png (34.89 KiB) Viewed 649 times

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am

Wow, i feel your pain. I played yesterday, with pretty high hopes. I started double, triple, double, bogey, and there went breaking 80. So i proceeded to play the next 14 with 10 pars, a birdie, 2 bogies, and a double.

I guess i'm just destined to shoot 83's.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 am

1 over through 4 holes.

Good par save on #1, had to slice a 9i around trees. Got it to the back left side of the green and had a long putt which I left 6' short. I made that.

Good drive on #2, topped a 5i like a 30+ handicap hit wedge to 20' and 2 putted.

Super lucky to make bogie on #8. I hit a ball that flared up into the wind and stopped on the lip of the bunker (outside of the bunker). I had to stand in the bunker get the ball over the bunker w/ maybe 20' of green. I chunked it into the bunker resulting in a fried egg. I hit the sand shot exactly like I wanted except the ball came out way hotter than I expected, even from that lie. The ball hit the base of the flag stick and the edge of the cup at nearly the same time popped up and landed 4" from the hole.

Number 9 I smoked a driver, then smoked a 3w into the green side rough, then hit a poor chip and 2 putted for par.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Have not had much to brag about scorewise. Today I played decently after a bunch of meh scores. Three birdies and a 78 in our old men tournament. Net 71 and was was thinking maybe it might get me in the money. Boom! illusions shattered. One of our better players shot 71 gross (67 net) so we are all playing for 2nd, 3rd, etc... Maybe one of the birdies will hold up for skin. Sigh.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 pm

RTJ Capitol Hill (Senator) 7/22/2017 4 5 5 5 6 4 3 5 4 5 4 5 4 4 5 4 8 6 86 70.9 126 13.5

Shot what ended up being a disappointing 86 today on the Senator course today. We have our club championship in two weeks, so actually played a round without taking gimmees with my playing partner to get used to putting out the one footers. Did not screw any of those up, but took 35 putts. But I blame that on inconsistent greens, 1st hole slow, 2nd green fast, 3rd green slow, 4th green fast (uphill downhill irrelevant.) Hit my driver really good, but finished triple (two penalty strokes trying to play smart) double (only poor drive, bad chip then three putt.)

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Shot 91 yesterday. Putted well - 29 putts. Hit it off the tee petty good. Was good through middle 2/3 of the round. Bulk of strokes lost were the beginning and end few holes, mostly from chunked short irons/wedges. Seems like a couple of tweaks should fix it.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 am

jasonfish11 wrote: The biggest issue I have w/ GameGolf is it's lack of a "true" short game strokes gained. It includes everything inside 100 yards as not on the green "short game." I believe it should be everything inside 40 or 50 yards.

Golfpad GPS uses the same metric (<=100 yds from pin, not on the green) for SHORT GAME. It's what Broadie defined as 'short game' and accounts for all of the pooled data. For me personally, I think it's accurate, since you're not taking full swings from 50-100 yds, mostly pitches and half swings.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 am

I consider short game to be around the green, less than full swings, typically with some sort of wedge in hand, though bump and runs with a 7i (or any other club) would count too. I don't use either stat tracking system you guys mentioned, just my SG360 and a pencil when on the course. I track up & downs based on whether or not there is a realistic opportunity to get up & down.

For instance, if I am hitting my third into a par 4 from 150 yards out after a lateral hazard penalty off the tee shot, and I land it close, then 1 putt, technically I got up and down for par from 150 out. But, that doesn't really belong in my up & down stats, which for me anyway, are an indication of my short game capabilities. On the other hand, if, on a par 5, I hit my second shot a few feet short of the green, then chip it close and 1 putt (for birdie), I will call that an up & down, though technically it's just a 1-putt birdie.

Now, the question I have is, what happens when you have a 10 yard flop shot and you land it just short of the green and it stays in the rough. Now you have a tough chip left out of the rough. You make a good one and come up close to the hole for a tap-in bogey. Up & down? For me, I say it is an up & down. I had two up & down opportunities. One with a flop for par and one with a chip for bogey. I made one, missed the other. But both should count in your averages in my opinion. Unfortunately SG360 doesn't give an option for that. Does either GameGolf or GamePad allow for this?

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:45 am

For what it's worth shot by shot says short game is 50 yards and in. In my mind it's really 60 yards for me based upon how my wedges set up.

Shot by shot would not agree with your up and down analysis Doug - you get one shot and that's what is measured. The theory is, I believe, that they do a lot of assessment based upon your errors.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 am

I'm not even sure if game golf tracks "up & downs".

My question to you would be what are you trying to indicate with your up & down stat? Is this an indicator of how good your chipping is? If so you are including 2 shots (1 chip, and 1 putt) to indicate how good your chipping is. Wouldn't it just be better to track distance to hole after 1st chip, and add some indicator if you don't get it on the green (ex >1 chip percentage)?

Also GBogey, not sure if you saw I sent you a message.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I'm not even sure if game golf tracks "up & downs".

My question to you would be what are you trying to indicate with your up & down stat? Is this an indicator of how good your chipping is? If so you are including 2 shots (1 chip, and 1 putt) to indicate how good your chipping is. Wouldn't it just be better to track distance to hole after 1st chip, and add some indicator if you don't get it on the green (ex >1 chip percentage)?

I agree with you about distance to the hole after a chip (or pitch). Yet, watching my average for up & downs climb over time shows that my short game in general is getting better. It's just not real specific as to HOW it is getting better. So, it is only helpful in assuring me that I have a respectable short game, which helps me be more confident when trying to get up and down. That's about it. It doesn't necessarily tell me what I should work on specifically to make it even better (though I pretty much know organically). So, you are certainly correct in your above assessment.

On SG360 you can track average 'putts after chip' and '1st putt distance' in general, but not the more important stat (in my opinion) of '1st putt distance AFTER CHIP', which is really a much better stat than just first putt distance alone. Being able to track 'first putt distance after chips' and separately/also, 'first putt distance after less-than-full-swing pitch shots' would be be very helpful, which I am guessing can be gleaned through GameGolf, GolfPad, etc. Obviously, combined with putting stats, then you really have a helpful tool for pin pointing where you should focus your short game practice.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 am

DougE wrote:
I agree with you about distance to the hole after a chip (or pitch). Yet, watching my average for up & downs climb over time shows that my short game in general is getting better. It's just not real specific as to HOW it is getting better. So, it is only helpful in assuring me that I have a respectable short game, which helps me be more confident when trying to get up and down. That's about it. It doesn't necessarily tell me what I should work on specifically to make it even better (though I pretty much know organically). So, you are certainly correct in your above assessment.

It could just be that your iron game is getting better, or your "course management" is getting better.

If you aren't putting your approach shots in situations which leave you a really tough up and down then your up & down percentage would go up. So it is possible it has nothing to do w/ your "short game" after all.

But as far as limited statistics go it's not terrible. It's just hard to determine why it is going up or down based on the statistic alone. I collect and analyze a ton of data at work, and one thing I've learned is don't trust anyone to successfully use their judgement when analyzing all of the potential impacts to a limited piece of data like "up & down rate." I don't even trust my own judgement and I require me to find a way to prove out my judgement calls.

Game golf has it's limitations too (ie you don't indicate difficulty of the chip, all 25 yard chips are assumed the same difficulty level), I feel that the best stat tracking out there is the Decade app, but I'm not dropping that amount of money for it.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 pm

SG360 automatically records par scrambles and Shot by Shot records up and downs whenever you have a chip/pitch shot, regardless of whether you are getting up and down for birdie, par, bogey, etc. Both have their uses and both have their flaws - Neither is able to take into account the difficulty of the shot - the other night I hit a super chip but a very difficult position. Ended up 10 feet from the hole, which was great, but missed the putt, so I really got no credit for it.

Such are the issues with using Stats in Golf, although I think over enough rounds things work out.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”