WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
GBOGEY wrote:Played in an outing at Trump Bedminster yesterday where they played the Women's Open. Beautiful course and facility so sort of a bucket list day. Played in a shamble so not sure what I really shot, but my guess is that I was around 83-84 if I had been playing my own ball. Hit some really good shots on a couple of holes so overall lots of fun.

I hope you took a big dump and clogged up the head. I'm just kidding, that's not nice. Just my way of saying that I think Trump's a douchebag is all.

I have become totally apolitical. I can't stand Trump. I couldn't stand Hilary. I think both sides are nuts and the system is broken. So when it came to playing on a major championship course, I ignored the politics. Simple.

One story I forgot. On one of the par 3's they had a wager hole. You place a bet and if you make birdie you got twice your money. The trick was that there was the regular flag and then 6 other putting green flags on the hole. You could make birdie into whichever hole you wanted. Well I agreed to do it mainly to donate $20. I noticed that 4 of the putting green holes were bunched together near a comfortable wedge shot, so I aimed for the middle of the 4 and damned if I didn't hit the ball about 2 feet from the hole - then fanned the putt. Wasn't big money, just embarrassing.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Postby JPJ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 am

On Saturday: 108 (net 82) in our September Medal.

Couldn't get going for some reason, even with seven bogeys.

Pace was slow and then we got shouted at to hurry up by a group on the 4th tee when we were putting on the 5th (the pace of play was not OUR fault!!) I let that get to me and then started to feel rushed. Not cool.

Very tough pin positions didn't help anyone. One player in our fourball was on the 17th in two but carded a 7 as the ball kept running off the green. Two other players that day (different groups) carded 8s on that same hole, one from a GiR. The 17th is SI 14 on the card but played SI 1 on the day. :devil

(I managed a one-putt 4 on that hole, by the way!) :thumbs

Management admitted the hole was not placed appropriately and will speak with the groundskeeper concerned (apparently he's the only one there who doesn't actually play golf!)
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 am

JPJ wrote:Management admitted the hole was not placed appropriately and will speak with the groundskeeper concerned (apparently he's the only one there who doesn't actually play golf!)

I have noticed a similar situation at some of our courses. Perhaps the greenskeeper feels some of the standard positions are getting too stressed or worn so they put the hole in a less used (for good reason) position.

Of course, it could just be that my game has deteriorated sufficiently that I always put my approach in the wrong spot. :facepalm

I shot 80 yesterday, three putting the final hole. :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am

JPJ wrote:Management admitted the hole was not placed appropriately and will speak with the groundskeeper concerned (apparently he's the only one there who doesn't actually play golf!)

One of the courses I played in TN resurfaced their greens w/ bermuda. Growing up in FL I knew that some of the pin positions they liked weren't going to be possible with bermuda once the grain grew in.

Sure enough about 18 months after replacing the greens the grain was in they mowed it short and on hole 2 they stuck a pin on the back left of the tri lobbed green. I had a 12' birdie putt from below the hole. I rolled the ball up and missed left the ball stopped about 4" from the hole then rolled back to my feet. It was impossible to have less than a 12' putt on that hole.

It took me 3 tries to make the 12'er though.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

Just browsed some Skygolf scores. You all are playing regular golf, and shooting some decent scores. I am glad to see that. Me and Furr on the other hand are hanging out on the fringe. Of golf participation. Demographically speaking, we are just barely considered golfers.
everyone is gay

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Just browsed some Skygolf scores. You all are playing regular golf, and shooting some decent scores. I am glad to see that. Me and Furr on the other hand are hanging out on the fringe. Of golf participation. Demographically speaking, we are just barely considered golfers.

I'm in a strange spot right now.

At the range things are going really well. I'm hitting the ball more consistent than I ever have and hitting so many shots "on the screws", but I have no desire to go play. I have no clue why either.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Just browsed some Skygolf scores. You all are playing regular golf, and shooting some decent scores. I am glad to see that. Me and Furr on the other hand are hanging out on the fringe. Of golf participation. Demographically speaking, we are just barely considered golfers.

I'm in a strange spot right now.

At the range things are going really well. I'm hitting the ball more consistent than I ever have and hitting so many shots "on the screws", but I have no desire to go play. I have no clue why either.

Grab a guitar and a stool, you are more than welcome to join us. :banana
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm on the opposite end. I can't get enough golf. Going to play another weekend round.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Shot a 99. A bit ugly all around.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm

79 (+9) at Silver Lake. 2nd straight round under 80 on this course.

I have shot lower before, but today I made a triple and a double and still got under the line. That is encouraging, I should aim for even better scores.

The guy I played with actually said to me during the round: "Man, you're a really good putter." :lolz Today I tried a whole new routine. No more lining up the ball, and no more practice stroke. Just kind of pick a line, step up and stroke it. Inbee style! I started doing it at the end of my last round, somewhere in the hills of New Jersey and made a few putts that way so why not continue. It feels weird and kind of naked, but goddamnit I putted better than ever, from all distances especially the long ones. I mean, I hit very good and promising shots all around today, but the putting thing is really intriguing me. Guess I was bigly getting in my own way previously. Mechanically too though, I feel much better, now that I've got that tiny bit of hinge in the stroke. Whatever, just go with it man.

I reflected on the score on the 16th tee, and knew I needed to do +2 for the last three holes and I will admit I got kind of tense trying to do it. But I hit a pretty bawlz 3-iron on that 16th par 3, and some easy bogeys on the last two holes, even had a decent look at 78. Anyways the score doesn't really tell the story. I am swinging on the next level.
everyone is gay

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Had my best 9 yesterday with a -3 33 for the front. Short game was on fire with 2 sandy's (one for bird on a par 5), 3 relative tap ins for par from chips, and one chip in for birdie. Then I promptly started the back 9 Double, Bogey, Double to end any thoughts of being under par. Funny thing was that the first double and bogey really didn't have any bad shots, just a bunch of mediocre ones and the 2nd double was all due to the drive. Recovered to shoot a 75, +3 on the day.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 am

Damn guys. Nice golfing.

MattF

Postby MattF » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 am

Well done, both of you.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am

Very nice.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Had a pretty nice round today. 78 with no birdies, yet 3 or 4 realistic birdie opportunities under 15 feet. No complaints though. Hit the ball well.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Shot 91 yesterday. The easy course down the road. Even played from the whites because I got paired with 3 elderly dudes. So it plays quite short. And the course is wide open with parallel fairways so you're not penalized for spraying it a bit. Still though, my short game was off and my score sufferred. Many of my approaches were pitches or chips, but still couldn't cobble a decent score together. I did finish the round with the same ball, which was neat.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Just hit tee shot on my second hole and found out that my 3w is broken

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:15 pm

So after starting +5 through 4 I birdied #5 then hit this 6i dead into a stiff wind from 149 on #6.
Attachments
IMG_20170930_151326.jpg
IMG_20170930_151326.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 503 times

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:04 pm

So I'm rusty and made some bad mistakes that cost me. I shot 82 but hit the ball so much better than that.

On the 5 holes I normally hit 3w off the tee I was 8 over par, to be fair one of them I still hit a 250 yard 3w into the FW on.

The wind was crazy. On hole 6 it was down wind and 290 to the water I wanted to hit 3w but obviously it was broken. I knew a driver could put me in the water, you have to hit a cut which I can't do w/ a 3h and I thought my 4i would leave me too long of a 2nd. So I decided to hit a bunt cut driver. I absolutely hit it on the screws, right into the water. I hit a bunt driver 290 yards. The FW was firm (down hill) and down wind. So Doug it wasn't that big of a shot. On 2nd thought I probably should have hit 4i. I hit one 230 yards down wind earlier and 207 yards into the wind, so I was hitting my 4i well.

Given this was the first time out in a while, I'm amazed how far I'm hitting the ball when I'm really concentrating hard on not letting my arms get past 3 o'clock (I know in reality they go past) and swinging smooth. Before each shot my thought is "In Gee Chun."

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfis ... nd/1868671

and SG (lost) for the round
D - 2.5
A - 3.6
SG - 1
P - 2.6

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Slow play disaster at Marine Park today. Took Ms Beef out, weather was harsh, cold n windy, thought it'd be empty but I was so wrong. Fuckfaces everywhere. We got paired with a couple of French knuckleheads. They were fine but one of them got extremely bitchy with me at one point, only four holes in, for god knows what reason. They were probably irritated by my superior shotmaking and or quiet arrogance about it. :bored I wanted to take off my shirt and start some shit, instead I just channeled it into more good play. 41 on the front nine in howling winds! Before the round unfortunately dissolved into more slow play morass and eventually darkness. Paying the full weekend rack rate and then barely finishing 15 holes really sucks ass. This golf course talks a big game about pace of play. 2:15! They say, as in two hours and fifteen/nine holes. It's posted on signs around the course, it's printed on the scorecard 2:15! 2:15! Fuckin' shit. I saw a ranger literally sleeping in a cart behind the 14th tee. Anyways I don't want to get all negative. I am happy about the way I played from tee to green and when the fuck in history have I ever been able to say that? Jesus. My full swing improvement is real and substantial, and the short game and putting are improving in step. I hit some big time shots today :gay

I am so excited to play golf on the golf course now but unfortunately the weather is going to be pretty great for the foreseeable future. :cmon
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 pm

My Connecticut boys came to visit. We played Worthington of Friday. They wanted to play whites. I agreed, but was lost from those tees after having been playing from the blues for the last few months there. Scored poorly. 87 or 88, can't remember. Didn't keep score on the first day. Then on Saturday, I finally got away from Worthington for a round at Maryland National, where I shot a very nice 79 after starting off with Double, Bogey, Double, Bogey. Played again today, Sunday and squeaked out an 82.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

Managed to get a practice nine in after work yesterday. I walked in about 90 min, and was losing light by the time i got back to my car. However, it was never harder to leave the course.

I shot a -2 on the 9; 7 pars and a pair of birdies (back-to-back.) I hit everything well and the few times i was in trouble, i managed to make the right decision. The biggest challenge is number 3, a long uphill par 4 with no room left to start or leave a drive. I bailed out right and was blocked out from going for the green. So, i chose a 5i and hit a cut punch that ended up in the left rough about 60 yds from the pin but still downhill. I was going for a bogey really since this was only hole three, but i knew in the back of my head that the rest of the holes were doable. I hid a wedge inside 10 feet and hit the putt.

From there it was pretty smooth sailing, until the last couple holes where i left myself some 4-5 foot par putts knowing where my score sat at. I drained them all and came in with my lowest 9 in my career.

Needless to say, after this and a recent 77 and 78, i'm itching to get out this weekend. Wife's away too which means i'll be able to play both Sat and Sun.

Such a weird game. I had an 88 a month and a half ago, and a pair of 85's last month.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 am

Very nice

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 pm

It's not so much WTF I shot today as much as Who the F@$# I saw playing today on the golf course (and it was actually yesterday). All on the same day, totally independent of each other:

Ray Knight, 1985 World Series Champion 3rd Baseman of the New York Mets (who was married to Nancy Lopez, LPGA Hall of Famer.)
Fluff Cowen, former Tiger Woods caddie and present Jim Furyk Caddie
Thidapa Suwannapura, present LPGA Tour player http://www.lpga.com/players/thidapa-suw ... 3/overview

I met Ray and have seen him here before. I did not get a chance to speak with Fluff. He too plays here often.
I watched Thidapa play a couple holes with her male golf friend, a +4 handicap, who also plays here from time to time. He's a top amateur in the mid-Atlantic. I watched her, playing from the blue tees, win both holes against him on the two holes I was able to see them on.

That was yesterday. As I finished up playing today, Thidapa and her male buddy were back for another round at Worthington Manor. This really is a great track. Evidently, she has to go back to the Symetra Tour. She missed getting her LPGA card for next season by something like $3 on the money list. Ouch.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Worthingtons is the place to be. :bawl
everyone is gay

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”