WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Best round ever today with a 71 on a par 71. 2 birds, 2 bogeys, 14 pars on 10 GIRs. One bird benefit of a lucky bounce and the other a chip in, one bogey had a 12 foot putt lip out. Putting and chipping was tremendous. Only negative of whole day was after birdieing 17 to go one under hit a weak drive on 18 to bogey and finish even.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:05 pm

GBOGEY wrote:Best round ever today with a 71 on a par 71. 2 birds, 2 bogeys, 14 pars on 10 GIRs. One bird benefit of a lucky bounce and the other a chip in, one bogey had a 12 foot putt lip out. Putting and chipping was tremendous. Only negative of whole day was after birdieing 17 to go one under hit a weak drive on 18 to bogey and finish even.

Awesome. Congrats on shooting even par!

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
GBOGEY wrote:Best round ever today with a 71 on a par 71. 2 birds, 2 bogeys, 14 pars on 10 GIRs. One bird benefit of a lucky bounce and the other a chip in, one bogey had a 12 foot putt lip out. Putting and chipping was tremendous. Only negative of whole day was after birdieing 17 to go one under hit a weak drive on 18 to bogey and finish even.

Awesome. Congrats on shooting even par!

Ditto. That's a great accomplishment! (I am still 3 shots away currently, but there is hope!...) :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:48 pm

GBOGEY wrote:... Only negative of whole day was after birdieing 17 to go one under hit a weak drive on 18 to bogey and finish even.

1. Great round. :yess
2. A couple years ago I made double on a closing par 5 for a 71 (par 71) :facepalm So welcome to the club.
3. Sort of stole the wind from my sails when I was preparing to brag about my round from Thursday. :fk
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:33 pm

:thumbs Awesome work!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Awesome score.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 am

Good on ya G!
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 am

Good job Gbogeyman.
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

I might (hopefully) be having a hot streak like never before. Followed up Saturday's 71 with a 75 yesterday. 3 birds, 10 pars, 4 bogeys, 1 DB. Actually played the first nine in even par for 3 straight even par 9's.

Here's how you know you are really hot - on 12th hole hit my first really bad shot of the day, putting my drive right into the 17th fairway. From 170, hit a blind shot over the trees to 10 feet, then made the putt for birdie. 2nd really bad shot was the tee shot on 13 - led to the DB. On 14, hit a good drive but then a 3rd really bad shot into the hazard. Took a drop and penalty, then hit a wedge to 6 feet and made the putt for par. 3 really bad shots, +1 over par - that ain't normal.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Haha,
The description of your #12 reminded me of one of my last rounds in Nashville with a friend. He played from the 7th fairway 3 times that day.

On #2 he hit a block slice over the 2 sets of trees, and the 8th fairway, into the 7th fairway (he hits drives a long ways, he routinely out drove me by 40-50 yards). His shot basically made Spieth's shot on #13 of the Open this year look dead center. We assumed he had about 180-200 back to the 2nd hole depending on the angle he wanted to take. He then hit a 7i back over 2 sets of trees into the #2 fairway and made birdie on the par 5 2nd. On number 7 he hit the fairway. Then on #8 he snap hooked one into the 7th fairway again.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Taste the fruits man, let the juices drip down your chin.
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm

We had our club championship at Capitol Hill this weekend, and while I knew I had to have a miracle week to win, I decided to play for the heck of it. Our Saturday rounds started with the first group teeing off at 7am, but the Sunday start times did not start until 11am (Hellabama and church goers.) For the tournament, we were playing under normal tournament rules, with the exceptions they were making for the Senator course was that the "Fescue", a.k.a weedy overgrown natural areas, were going to play as a red staked lateral hazard and the service road behind the 4th hole, and the fenceline running down the 5th and 16th holes were considered o.b.

My Saturday round, I got off to a decent start, hit the first four greens in regulation, but scuffled a little making the turn. By the end of my round, I cemented the fact that I was not going to win, so I made the strategic decision to be super aggressive on 17 to try to reach the green in two and maybe get an eagle. The 17th hole on the Senator course is a par 5 where you are driving to a fairway that doglegs left around a water hazard, with another hazard going down the right side of another fairway that is used for laying up when not going for the green in two. For the most part, your second shot would be in the 190-230 range on a downslope to an elevated green with a hazard surround three sides of the green. If you try for the second fairway off the tee, you are looking at about a 240 carry to a ten yard wide landing area. I decide going for an aggressive line off the tee (but not going at the narrow landing area), and when I hit the ball, my two playing competitors were yelling for my ball to go, to clear the hazard, but I am yelling for my ball to get down, so it would not roll into the second hazard. We get to my ball, it is a yard short of the end of the fairway, a second yard short of the cart path, and four yards short of the second hazard, amazingly on a flat lie, 194 from center of the green, playing about 209 effective 220 to a back pin. I hit a three wood to about 20ish feet right of the flag, with an uphill right to left putt for eagle. Missed the putt but tapped in for birdie, thinking there was no way that would be the only birdie on the hole. I ended up with a pedestrian 85 on the round to put me in the middle of the pack.

As we gathered around at the end of day one, we found out one of the players got dq'd for improperly taking a drop on the 5th hole after hitting one not ob but in the fescue. He tried dropping out to the side like we do most rounds we play, instead of where it crossed the hazard, in this case, re-teeing. I mention this because two championship division was playing two of the par 3s as closest to the hole, while the seniors had the other two holes. On the first par 3, being in the first championship group to play the hole, I hit my approach shot to about 55ft, short of a ridge to a back hole. The two guys I played with both missed the green. Just for kicks, I went ahead and put my name down, not even thinking that was going to hold up. As groups were coming in, they were laughing because no one else was hitting the green, and my mark was still standing. The guy that got DQ'd was in the last group, and had actually hit it closer than me, but the other two guys in his group were off the green. SO since I was first group, and he was last group, there was no one else who could have made a claim not knowing they were closer than me, I ended up winning closest to the hole. Also, I ended up winning a skin for my birdie on 17, because I think I was the only person that even attempted going for the green in two, and no one made a putt.

Then came round two. I hated having an 11:30 tee time in August (there is no heat or humidity in Alabama (93* with a 75*dewpoint is downright arid) and I woke up basically with nothing to do all morning. Get on the course and really never felt comfortable over the ball. Smoke and mirrored my way to a decent start through the first four holes, then got held up on the 5th hole. The group in front of us had two people that lost balls off the tee in the fescue. And they were looking and looking. A lot of times, if you find your ball in there, you can have a shot, but with the rain lately, they have not been able to cut it down. They were going to wave us through, but one of the guys had left his cart in the middle of the fairway. In the end, they played, then all of us proceeded to lose our tee shots, with mine going ob. Then I get a bad break on a drive on six, hit what I thought was a good tee shot on a par three 7th that ended up rolling through the 7th green onto the 3rd green. Then I was more or less finished when I hit my drive into a fairway bunker on the 8th, get to my ball, only to find it in an unraked footprint where someone had dug in. I had to swing through about a two inch wide mound of sand to my ball sitting about another inch below the regular sand level line. I will say I hit a hell of a shot just to advance that ball 15 yards out of the bunker. But I was mentally out of it after that, and ended up with an outstanding 99 on the round.

The one thing I was proud of was that I did not miss any of the 1 or 2 footers that we usually call gimmees that we pick up during our normal rounds.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:47 am

Shot 96 at home course. Moved to the back tees and it's opened up the course a bit. Can pull driver a lot more, which I've been hitting well. Continued issues with iron play, specifically short irons/wedges. Keep pushing them and ending up pin high right in bunker/rough. Anecdotally, seems to be common. Seen all of these as possible issues:

-lie angle of wedge needs to be more upright
-d-plane shift? need to open stance with wedges to compensate for more forward arc bottom
-lazy rotation
-improper setup
-ball position
-tendency to hold off release with wedges

I'm guessing it's probably a couple of these, at least. It's costing me lots of strokes and that sucks. I hate missing the green constantly from 100-140 yards. I've switched to a local grass range to practice this stuff, but the grass isn't as tight as a fairway lie would be. I feel like if I could get straight from this distance, it would drop my scores considerably.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 am

Just looked at Five Lessons. I guess he does have his rear foot a bit more forward and the stance opened up with wedges and short irons. I guess I'll start with that.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Nice but unusual round today with a 75. Unusual in that all 3 bogeys were 3 putts, although 2 were extremely tough situations and I did have one 2 putt from around 70 feet. BUT the highlight of the day was the 18th hole. It's a difficult hole - hit a good tee shot but sent my approach into the bunker. From there I holed my sand shot to end the round with a birdie. Weird experience, had never done anything like that before. It's like, wait, the round just ended!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 am

GBOGEY wrote:Nice but unusual round today with a 75. Unusual in that all 3 bogeys were 3 putts, although 2 were extremely tough situations and I did have one 2 putt from around 70 feet. BUT the highlight of the day was the 18th hole. It's a difficult hole - hit a good tee shot but sent my approach into the bunker. From there I holed my sand shot to end the round with a birdie. Weird experience, had never done anything like that before. It's like, wait, the round just ended!

Nice round and finish.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:58 am

Shot my all time low score today - 83 :ohyeah

Helped that my usual course was booked due to a tournament. So I headed over to a goat track near my old neighborhood and played. Damn, that course is scrappy as hell, the cartpaths are all rutted dirt and the shocks on the carts are shot to hell. Beat my clubs to shit and gave me a headache.

Anyhow, the course plays substantially easier than my home course, and I was able to score on it pretty good. There's room to miss and the greens are pretty slow. Gets windy in the afternoon there, shortening some holes and lengthening others. No penalties, only 1 double bogey and 1 3-putt. I also had 2 chip-ins (1 legit, one putter from fringe), resulting in 28 putts.

I continue to fare well off the tee and suck spectacularly at hitting irons (I'm suspecting a postural issue). However, my short game is improving and this is saving a bunch of strokes.

Ended the round with a birdie.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:22 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Shot my all time low score today - 83 :ohyeah

Ended the round with a birdie.

Nice round and always good to have a new low, regardless of the course. And champions birdie the 18th hole - Now beat it on your home course.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am

Still some work to do at the range. Hitting it well at the range and not well at the course.

7 over through 9 with a lost ball on #3. The rough is brutal because they haven't been able to cut it since Friday. I also didn't have a single shot from the fairway until hole 8.

MattF

Postby MattF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Good on ya Duke!
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks guys.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Congrats Duke.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Still some work to do at the range. Hitting it well at the range and not well at the course.

7 over through 9 with a lost ball on #3. The rough is brutal because they haven't been able to cut it since Friday. I also didn't have a single shot from the fairway until hole 8.

What a difference a new 9 can make. Hit all but 1 fw with driver the one I missed I was through the fw. I shot 2 over with a penalty 7pars 2 boogies.

Also how many times in a row do you have to make a putt after missing it the first time to take the lower score? I hit a wedge to 10' missed it then made 5 straight after that from the same spot. Is that a birdie?

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:58 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Also how many times in a row do you have to make a putt after missing it the first time to take the lower score? I hit a wedge to 10' missed it then made 5 straight after that from the same spot. Is that a birdie?

Sorry, no.

But at least you know that your inner Player B is better than your real Player A. Don't feel bad, my Player B is awesome. Kicks my Player A's ass 9 out of 10 times, all over the course, not just on the greens. :fk

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:38 pm

So 81, given I was 7 over through 6 holes and felt like I was almost wiffing on my driver swings, I'm happy to play the last 12 in 2 over (lol ok I'm happy at that no matter what). Specially on a course I've never seen before. And no I didn't count the "player B" birdie on #13.

Has anyone ever hit one of those fans they have next to the green? I hit one on #17 today.

Putting was on point today, but I was killing time and there was NO ONE around (saw 2 guys making the turn when I teed off on #1). So I was taking my time with my putts.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfis ... nd/1784198

Strokes lost to scratch
Driving - 3.78
Approach - 1.51
Short Game - 2.17
Putting - 1.58
Attachments
IMG_20170815_163927.jpg
IMG_20170815_163927.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 244 times

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”