WTF did you shoot today?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm

MattF wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 am
Weird round for Fathers Day. I played at Seven Hills Country Club in Hartville, OH. It's a par 72, 130 slope and 72.1 rating.

Front 9 was absolutely dreadful 1 triple and the rest doubles for a 53. The back 9 something changed and I was on fire! :banana Ended up with a 3 over 39. My best 9 hole score ever. Despite the poor start I was very pleased with my play on the back.
I'll drink to that
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:45 pm

So slow. My wife told me to go play golf. I don't think she expected 2 hours and 45 min for the front 9.

On the bright side after a 3-putt double on #1 I had 7 pars and a bogie.

Just made the turn.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 pm

5.5 hour round. Shot an 83 but my iron play was great. My tee ball got away from me on the back 9. Also the greens dried out and picked up quite a bit of speed quickly. They were pretty quick earlier but they were 1-2 feet faster by the end of the round.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 am

Ok here is my last round if anyone cares.

www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfish11/round/2231631

I had 3 times where I hit 2 chips on a hole. Two of which were just complete mental flubs. I had 2 shots in mind and didn't decide between them until I started taking the club back. Huge no no. The 3rd was possibly the ugliest bunker shot I've ever had. Down hill lie one foot out of the back of the bunker, in a bunker with very little sand and the lip behind me was causing me to have to take a way more vertical swing than normal. Oh yeah there was water long and left. So I barely got it out of the bunker chipped that one to 8' and miss read the putt (it didn't break as much as I thought).

Other than that the ball was flying all day long. I missed a TON of shots long starting with a 190 yard 7i at #1. I was between 6 and 7 and knew it was kind of a flyer lie out of the rough, but damn I'm not sure that ball has come down from orbit yet.

I couldn't hit a tee ball on the back 9 which lead to a couple doubles, and then it was just too late with too many tough holes left when I figured out what I was doing wrong on #16. On #18 I was a little pissed about 17 and took an aggressive line off the tee haha.

No birdies but I was rolling the ball well on the greens.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 pm
5.5 hour round. Shot an 83 but my iron play was great. My tee ball got away from me on the back 9. Also the greens dried out and picked up quite a bit of speed quickly. They were pretty quick earlier but they were 1-2 feet faster by the end of the round.
My round was ONLY 4.5 hours. The problem was we were the slow group. We played with a dad and son making it out for their first round of the year - Father's day of course! The kid was built like Koepka and hit the ball a mile. He hit the longest drives I have ever seen on 3 of the holes, all of which were at least 300 yards. That was when he was straight. Crooked was a total lost ball. Had no idea of distances - he hit these towering iron/wedge shots that would hold any green, it's just that he airmailed at least 4 greens on the front 9 by 20-30 yards. Dad was more erratic - had good pop for a man my age but would clobber one and then duff one, but he airmailed several greens as well. Both were getting frustrated by the end of the round - they expected to play well on their first round out. And they spent a lot of time looking at their yardage book - like not knowing the course was why they were missing the greens by 20 yards. They were also erratic in their play - the kid would stop looking rather quickly, dad would look for his ball forever. Felt bad for the folks behind us but there was nothing I could do at that point.

I on the other hand shot a 78 which may have been my most solid round of the year even if it wasn't the lowest score. Felt like I had every phase of the game at least somewhat working - in my other good rounds I've shot 78 but had putting or driving disasters despite the score. I honestly felt that I lost at least 2-3 strokes by trying to play too fast to speed us up. After the last one I started taking my time and was +2 on the last 11 holes.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:59 am

GBogey, that's impressive considering the father/son team you played with. That would totally affect my game in a negative way, worrying about the groups behind me and being guilty by association. I understand your point about losing 2-3 strokes by trying to speed things up. I would do the same. Being a relatively fast player myself, who has little tolerance for slow players, being stuck in a group with a slow player(s) would have me off my game for sure, particularly on a very busy day, like Father's Day. I would definitely be rushing so the group behind could see it isn't ME who is playing slowly. Though I am a quick player, I do tend to stand over the ball for a few seconds to make sure I feel right, before pulling the trigger. If your group in general is slow and you stand over the ball for 4 or 5 seconds before starting your swing---no matter how fast you play otherwise---you are included in the complaints from the group behind. So I rush. Not good for scoring. My point is, you scored well, all things considered. Commendable.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Golf is cruel, totally cruel. This is how today's round started:

1. Good drive, good 9i but needed an 8i, chip, make nice curling putt for par.
2. Good drive but slipped on the approach shot. Even though I hit the shot on one leg almost falling down, hit it to pin high just 30 yards left. Pitched to 5 feet, putt burned edge for bogey.
3. Great drive - great drive - into divot. Approach to bunker. Great sand shot to 5 feet. Putt burned edge for bogey.
4. Tee shot missed green by 2 yards. Chip to 6 feet. Putt rimmed out.
6. Long par 3 - felt like ball wasn't going far but resisted urge to club up. 3H was totally crushed so that it went through the green. Mediocre chip and putt for bogey.

Not a single bad shot but +4 over par. You may have noticed I skipped #5, a par 5. Good drive, good 2nd shot. Totally bladed 8i approach. Ball was going to go over green but hit some thick grass beside the green, bounced through, and ended up pin high 18 feet from the hole.

Hit the ball great all day but putted really poorly - had 10 putts from 4-6 feet. Made the most difficult one on the first hole for par, then missed 7 par putts in a row but made the two birdie putts. Go figure. 3 Birds and no doubles gave me a 78 - might be the last round before the move.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:07 am

41/44 from blues at Neshanic. Not bad. Played with Ms Beef and a couple of dudebroguys, stereotype guys--whale on it with the driver but pretty inept at everything else. I felt like DougE out there, i.e. outplaying some younger guys with humble, old man restraint-golf.

Couple more practices and I'll be ready for Bethpage.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:38 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 pm
Golf is cruel, totally cruel. This is how today's round started:

1. Good drive, good 9i but needed an 8i, chip, make nice curling putt for par.
2. Good drive but slipped on the approach shot. Even though I hit the shot on one leg almost falling down, hit it to pin high just 30 yards left. Pitched to 5 feet, putt burned edge for bogey.
3. Great drive - great drive - into divot. Approach to bunker. Great sand shot to 5 feet. Putt burned edge for bogey.
4. Tee shot missed green by 2 yards. Chip to 6 feet. Putt rimmed out.
6. Long par 3 - felt like ball wasn't going far but resisted urge to club up. 3H was totally crushed so that it went through the green. Mediocre chip and putt for bogey.

Not a single bad shot but +4 over par. You may have noticed I skipped #5, a par 5. Good drive, good 2nd shot. Totally bladed 8i approach. Ball was going to go over green but hit some thick grass beside the green, bounced through, and ended up pin high 18 feet from the hole.

Hit the ball great all day but putted really poorly - had 10 putts from 4-6 feet. Made the most difficult one on the first hole for par, then missed 7 par putts in a row but made the two birdie putts. Go figure. 3 Birds and no doubles gave me a 78 - might be the last round before the move.
Ah, those pesky golf god's. Sometimes they give-ith. Sometimes they take-ith away.

It can often seem the gods are totally against you. Rest assured, you likely now have some credit built up. I bet you have a few bad shots coming in your future that will end up with good results. I have heard it said that they all even out over time. But, it is my belief that in the end, the best golfers usually end up with the most gifts.

FYI, there are different golf gods in Tennessee. So, I'm not 100% sure if your credit is good there. :lolz

BTW, nice round, despite those powerful forces who live up in the clouds over golf courses everywhere. Sometimes they can be real a-holes when they want to be. A 78 ain't nothing to be upset about. So, IMO, you won out.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:41 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:07 am
I felt like DougE out there, i.e. outplaying some younger guys with humble, old man restraint-golf.
Satisfying, ain't it?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:25 am

"Old man restraint" ???? :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:29 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:52 pm
Golf is cruel, totally cruel.
Agree. There are rounds where nothing goes in and others where everything falls; one plays pretty much the same yet has completely different scores. The weather is going to be beastly at your new home but you will get the last laugh starting in November.

p.s. a 78 is darn good when nothing falls. Your standards are too high!! ;)
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:42 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:29 am
p.s. a 78 is darn good when nothing falls. Your standards are too high!! ;)
I know and I wasn't really unhappy with the score, just exasperated with bad bounces when I was striking it really well and then the bladed shot ends up perfect.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:07 am
41/44 from blues at Neshanic. Not bad. Played with Ms Beef and a couple of dudebroguys, stereotype guys--whale on it with the driver but pretty inept at everything else. I felt like DougE out there, i.e. outplaying some younger guys with humble, old man restraint-golf.

Couple more practices and I'll be ready for Bethpage.
Can't believe that the Beef has become a loyal lover of Neshanic Valley. That's the ultimate course for NJ suburbanites - seems totally anti for city folks. But lovely course on a beautiful setting.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:41 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:25 am
"Old man restraint" ???? :fkno
Yes that's right, restraint-golf. I think you know what I am talking about. Yesterday I saw a contrast between myself and the other two guys. It's not that I don't have it in me to whale at the ball with retard abandon. I probably do. But golf is more a game of straightness than anything else. For Christ's sake. I guess some people try to bake some restraint into their golf swing, some don't is what I am getting at. Looking at these guys it reminded me that in golf you have to aggressively apply restraint, or else you end up just sort of flailing around. Let's face it golf is kind of an old man game. Anyone who is young who plays it well, does so by behaving more like an old person than a young.
DougE wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:41 am
Satisfying, ain't it?
I was glad to make a half-decent showing in front of my woman but that's about it. By the end these guys couldn't get the ball in the hole, at one point someone double-chipped from heavy greenside rough three times in a row--that had to be at least a septuple bogey. You know when people start sucking so bad that you actually have to pretend like you didn't see what just happened? People like you and me are supposed to beat people like this.
GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 am
Can't believe that the Beef has become a loyal lover of Neshanic Valley. That's the ultimate course for NJ suburbanites - seems totally anti for city folks. But lovely course on a beautiful setting.
I love the course and the vicinity. It's worth the 70-80 minute drive. It's very chill out there. Actually, yesterday at least, it was too fuckin' quiet. Deafening silence, I felt like I could not take a swig of water without disturbing anyone within a hundred yards. For the second time in a row though we had a superb time. On the way home stopped at the Wegman's, which is the biggest grocery store we have ever seen.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 am

I play in a lot of our Club's net tournaments. Thursday we played a round at Huntmore. Right out of the gate I managed to double and then bogey the first two holes. My game was shaky at best but I ground out a 78, net 69. It was one of those rounds where one feels like they are shooting 88 and yet it adds up to 78.

I figured I had a chance to place in the money (top 5 and ties). As it turns out, I was tied for 5th and won $10. Sigh. :bawl

A former good player who had fallen on hard times lately shot his age ... 71 ... gross. His net was 57. At least I lost by 12 shots so I can't kick myself for missing that 3 1/2 footer. ;) Wink

Yes, net 57 is pretty low but he played in our first 5 tournaments and never sniffed any money. He has been a member over 8 years. His handicap was legit (I am the handicap chairman) and as long as he doesn't do it frequently (never again!!), we are good with it. Statistically, his 71 is almost off the USGA Exceptional Tournament Score chart. 27,877 to 1.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 pm

I scored 74 (+4) today, with 13 pars, 1 birdie, 3 bogeys (including a 3-putt GIR) and a double: 3.8 differential. Probably one of my best round ever, especially with the short game.

But the most surprising thing to me is that my handicap index is dropping like a rock: it's going to be 7.2 on the 1st of July and was 8.6 in the current revision, and 9.1 before that and 9.5 before that!

13 of my last 20 rounds have been below 80, 5 more at 80 and 81, and the other 2 outliers at 86 and 91 at much more difficult courses... The best span of golf in my whole life: I am pumped! :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:16 am

What the hell are you doing to make your game so good? I'm jealous.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 am

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 pm
... 13 of my last 20 rounds have been below 80, 5 more at 80 and 81, and the other 2 outliers at 86 and 91 at much more difficult courses...
You are in the zone. The only thing to do now is ... PLAY MORE! :thumbs
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:41 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:16 am
What the hell are you doing to make your game so good? I'm jealous.
Don't know, man: it's golf! :lolz Better touch with the short game along with somewhat better irons contact and with misses in the right spots? That's all I can see...

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 am
sjduffers wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 pm
... 13 of my last 20 rounds have been below 80, 5 more at 80 and 81, and the other 2 outliers at 86 and 91 at much more difficult courses...
You are in the zone. The only thing to do now is ... PLAY MORE! :thumbs
Yup. Not sure about playing more, though: I am already playing 3-4 times a week. Perhaps that helps too.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Shot 88 yesterday at a very tame, short course (par 70, 5500 yds, 117 slope).

41 front, 47 back.

Difference was maintaining concentration, specifically in the short game. I'd practiced chipping the week prior and it paid off, hit several close in the front 9. The back 9 has 2 rinky dink par 4's in a row that I nearly drove, but double chipped both of them like an asshole for 2 bogeys. Went penalty free until the greenside bunker on 18, where I didn't take enough sand and send the fucking thing into the driving range to close with a triple. More short game work I think will put me in the 80's permanently. There's really no excuse at this point. Just gotta do it.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Nice,
I'm going to be in your neck of the woods next week.

Heading out to fake city (Irvine) for a week for work.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm
Nice,
I'm going to be in your neck of the woods next week.

Heading out to fake city (Irvine) for a week for work.
Staying where? I can give you some recommends for food and fun.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Marriot Irvine Spectrum

I'll take recommendations. But I have work things planed 2 of the 4 nights, and I have 9 holes of golf planned with a guy that works in the Irvine office 1 of the other nights. So it's really only 1 open night and again I'll have 2 other work people with me.

I like getting Korean BBQ when I'm out there (we don't have that in Virginia). Gena is a really good place for that in Irvine. Also I have an unhealthy fascination with bahn mi sandwiches. So every time I go to Irvine for work one of the Vietnamese ladies I work with brings some in for me.
Keep it short stupid.