WTF did you shoot today?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:57 pm

:onfire

Mud fest. I did make a few decent swings but overall it was a disaster. I was ready to follow my ball into the hazard on #15 but couldn't break the ice. :puke
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Shot a tidy 110. Had an f'ed up hip, probably shouldn't have played at all, but whatever.
Bluto did it

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm
Shot a tidy 110. Had an f'ed up hip, probably shouldn't have played at all, but whatever.
Ouch! (On both points.)

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm

So I decided course conditions were normal enough yesterday to start my official season where I keep stats, post scores, etc. First two rounds showed lots of inconsistencies even if the final stats don't. Case in point putting - over two rounds, 4 three putts (worse than normal), 4 of 9 money putts (slightly worse than normal), but holed 6 putts over 10 feet (way better than normal). Yesterday 9 GIRs, 3 scrambles for +9 79, today 8 GIRs, 4 scrambles, +5 75. Difference yesterday 2 DBs and no birdies, today 1 DB and 3 birdies. Golf is a funny game.

Two fun stories - I could tell one of the guys I was paired with yesterday was pretty decent but he wasn't really being serious around the greens so I couldn't really tell how good. At some point he tells me that he's playing today in some sort of Am tour tournament in the "A" flight, meaning handicap 4-8. On the 10th hole which was playing about 130 yard par 3, he shanks a wedge about 50 yards right onto the 7th green. Never seen anything quite like it. Then on the 17th hole he shanks a chip. Drops a ball and shanks another. Then a third. I'm thinking this guy is playing a high level tournament in about 14 hours and he just shanked 3 straight chips.

Then today, I got paired with a really nice guy. We were a twosome behind some foursomes so the round was slow but not overly so. Anyway, I was having a good time talking to the guy and thinking this is someone I should exchange contact info to play with again. He wasn't having a great round but you could tell he was a decent player. He has a really rough 14th hole than on 15 hits a solid drive and has a chance to go for the par 5 green in 2. He totally fats his shot and throws his club. Lands kind of close to me by accident but I just waved over to him don't worry about it (believe me I've been there). So I hit my approach and then turn around and he drives off. Not a sorry, or I'm done, just gets in the cart and goes.

BTW, hit the green in two with a nice 4H. Ball rolled 60 feet past hole but I got a two putt birdie out of it!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:13 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm
Then today, I got paired with a really nice guy. We were a twosome behind some foursomes so the round was slow but not overly so. Anyway, I was having a good time talking to the guy and thinking this is someone I should exchange contact info to play with again. He wasn't having a great round but you could tell he was a decent player. He has a really rough 14th hole than on 15 hits a solid drive and has a chance to go for the par 5 green in 2. He totally fats his shot and throws his club. Lands kind of close to me by accident but I just waved over to him don't worry about it (believe me I've been there). So I hit my approach and then turn around and he drives off. Not a sorry, or I'm done, just gets in the cart and goes.
Geez, I hope you guys had separate carts! ;)

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm

82. Incremental improvement. The course I played has superior drainage and the ball bounced and rolled. It was nice to see the ball bounce. :yess
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Me too. 82. Boring.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:58 pm

105. Hit the ball pretty well off the tee but inside 100 yards was absolutely awful. I can't make a chip shot at all. Skulling them over the green, etc. It was good practice though for my trip coming up.
Everything Sucks

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Tried recording a matchplay round between me and my brother.
They say the camera adds 10 lbs, it probably adds 10 strokes as well.

Started double, double, par, bogey, bogey, double, bogey, double, bogey, for the front nine 48.. which is about normal for lately.
The back nine I started bogey bogey and then i started to click.
The back was bogey, bogey, par, par, par, bogey, par, par, par for my best back 9 score of 39.

Ended up with 87, from the tips, my best score in 5 years... 5 years!!!!
The difference? No triples, no quads, and only 2 x 3 putts.

My brother, a 9 handicap, vs my 19 handicap, i beat him by 10 strokes scratch, so I won 7 and 6 with handicap and 5 and 4 net... he ended up shooting his worse round in 2 years.

All of this practice at the ultimate drive range must be paying off, not just more practice, but good practice.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 am

:up
Throw me another ball will ya!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:57 am

👍🏻
Tee it up!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Shot 80 today with two birdies.
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:21 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm
:thumbs
Let's Play 36

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm
Big improvement over your last round.
Good job.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks. Nice, and unexpected, to go from what might be my worst round ever (vs. current hcp) to my best round ever a week later.
Bluto did it

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 am

That’s golf for sure.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 am

Well, posted another 84. Admittedly, the course was a touch too long for me to score considering the conditions (soft fairways, breezy cool weather). There were a few rays of hope but not many. Sigh. :breaking
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 am
Well, posted another 84. Admittedly, the course was a touch too long for me to score considering the conditions (soft fairways, breezy cool weather). There were a few rays of hope but not many. Sigh. :breaking
I feel for you Brian. It was only a couple weeks ago I was fighting those conditions. Playing the blue tees was rough, but I did anyway. I worked on getting any extra distance I could, any way I could. The temps have now risen and the course has now dried out and firmed up. Really firmed up! I'm hitting less club than normal now into greens. Partially because my drives are so much longer and partially because the greens aren't very receptive. I hit my longest drive in recent memory one day last week. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 280 yards. On Saturday, I hit one uphill nearly 260 yds. I've been feeling that this must be what it's like to be 40 again.

Like you, I have pretty good control of my driver and irons. So, I think, if I were playing some powerful, young whipper-snapper who could also take advantage of the hard, firm conditions, I might fare better than he would in the long run. As much as those conditions can add distance, distance isn't always a good thing when long right or left can get you in deep doo-doo. And let's face it, many long bombers of the ball (like you GPickin), not playing at a high Am or pro level, have some trouble controlling those bombs.

With the temps inching up into the high 60s and 70s, the shedding of heavier clothing layers and the balls softening up to normal compressions, it's a lot of fun to hit driver right now. It's coming soon for you too Brian. Hang in there.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am

Went out late, with my golfer-girl friend yesterday. Teed off about 4:30. Only got in 13 holes as a result of very heavy clouds, which made it so dark that we could barely see ballflight at 7 pm, 40 minutes before sunset. It was virtually dark.

I had a good front nine, with very good control of all clubs. Shot a fairly clean 38. Then started the back double, bogey, par, par. Since 13 holes is supposed to count for handicap purposes according to the USGA, I went ahead and entered the score on my official MSGA record using ESC scoring for the final 5 holes. I posted a 79. Personally, I feel like I could have done a stroke better had I gotten to play those holes. I was playing well, with the exception of a little trouble I got in on 10 and 11. Yeah, yeah, woulda, shoulda, coulda.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:41 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am
And let's face it, many long bombers of the ball (like you GPickin), not playing at a high Am or pro level, have some trouble controlling those bombs.
Yeah, i hear you. I definitely don't try to swing out of my shoes on the golf course, like i do on the range :P
I would give up 20 yards to be straighter, heck 30 yards even :)

I shot 45 on Spyglass back 9 on the Top Tracer virtual golf game the other day, if that counts :D

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:38 am

No it doesn’t. 👎
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:18 am

On Thursday, as I mentioned in the "....best shot of the month" thread, I had a good round after starting off on the first hole with a tap-in birdie from the fairway bunker 187 yards out from the pin. I played most of the round with my old (young bomber) friend, Matt, who I ran into out there. Last year we had some epic battles on the course. We are both presently 5.X indexes, though he hits it a mile past me. He's in his late 20s and 200 lbs of mostly muscle. I'm 33 or 34 years his senior, and pretty much one big body of deteriorating joints and muscles. His game is solid.

Even though the greens are aerated, we offered no gimme putts, which most everyone else is doing the past couple weeks since the punching happened. When I have played with my other regular partner, Bernie, over the period, we've been generous due to the excessive bumpiness and inconsistency of the greens. However, I did not enter those scores towards my official handicap. Thursday's round was played by the rules, not only putting, but ALL rules. So, I entered this score on my USGA/MSGA. I shot an even par 36 on the tougher front nine. (Only done that once or twice in the past.) Unfortunately, I did not fare so well on the slightly easier back, even though I hit the ball just as well as I did on the front. Carded a 77 when it was all done and won another match with Matt. He always brings the best out in my game.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:22 am

Doug you got a great golf life. You go to the golf course and look around and you see friends, both men and women. Friends who you enjoy spending time with, friends who spur you on to better golf.

I hate my golf life. :puke
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 am

Beef, I hadn't really thought about that, but yes, you are right.

Being a member makes it all a lot easier. When you hang around the same place 6 or 7 days a week, practicing and playing, you get to know others who do the same, not to mention all the people who work there and also play golf. The range/practice area can be quite a social atmosphere. All the regulars are there, and we all talk golf. We try each other's equipment, swing tips, drills, and specialty shots. We talk about things that happened in our recent rounds, crazy things we saw out on the course, or places the maintenance staff is lacking. We are one big better-than-average golfer clique. So you can easily build up a pool of golf friends and acquaintances. And there is always a lot of smack-talk to inspire you to be the best you can be.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:39 pm

I played. Neshanic Valley, took Ms. Beef. She was thrilled to shoot an all-time round of 100. I only beat it by 7. :puke Can't remember the last time I felt so unconfident at the start of the round. I haven't played in so long, and in the meantime I fuck around with my swing to no end. On the range pre-round trying to find a swing, I had such confusion you have no idea. Didn't know how I'd get it around. :puke But it was a lot of fun. Relaxation too. Weather was borderline rainy but turned out nice. I gamble a lot with the weather and today it paid big. Neshanic is the absolute nicest place to play within range of the city. So peaceful. When I hit em solid my drives were clearing corners and fairway bunkers (from the middle tees) and that was good to see. On the other hand I missed a 18" for par, which is about as low as the golf experience gets.
Build a bridge and get over it.