WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by GBOGEY » Thu May 23, 2019 11:05 pm

One of those interesting roller coaster rounds today with great play, bad play, very good round, and what might have been. On a difficult slope 132 course:
The Good - Hit 7 of the front 9 greens and 11 of the first 16. Felt like my irons couldn't miss. Hit 4 of 5 6i/5i - really good - and the miss was accurate but rolled too far off the back. On those 11 GIRs, -2 with 2 birdies, 2 3 putts (arg!!), and an EAGLE!!!

The Bad - only one up and down and DB on the first 5 misses. The only chip was an easy par save but otherwise not good with short game.

What might have been - great drive on 17. From 90 yards hit my worst shot of the day. Pitch from a tough spot lead to a difficult 2 putt bogey. Then on 18, from 96 yards hit a great shot - that went 106 yards on the fly into a bunker - have never hit my 56 that far ever. Then a great bunker shot to a downhill pin kept rolling to 15 feet. Then the putt lipped out. So 4 pretty good shots left me with a tricky 5 footer for bogey, which I thankfully made.

Very Good Round - Still shot 77 on a 132 slope - not a usual occurrence.

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Fri May 24, 2019 5:48 am

Good one G! :up
Throw me another ball will ya!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri May 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Went back today to my old haunt Charwood where I have played more rounds of golf than anywhere. I think I've been there once since they converted it from a 27 holer to 18. It's still strange. So many things are different now, some greens have been redone, just a lot of random things have changed. I walked up and some of the old regular guys I haven't seen in a few years were still sitting around same as always. The first thing out of one of them's mouth was about how I've gained weight. Fuck. Anyway, I paid for 18 and took a cart because it's hot as ballz today. I ended up being paired with another solo player on #1 and we had a good time. Nice funny guy who described himself as a "lazy cop" who recently caught the golf bug. He's only been playing a year so was pretty much a hacker but keeps up the pace / picks up and moves on etc. Anyway, I was hitting the ball great off the tee, but any time I had a wedge in my hand (which was a lot, it's short course) it was disaster. I was shanking full swing wedges, and yipping my chips again. I would take a premium drive and ruin the hole within 100 yards in. Shot a 49/49 98 with a few penalties on the back went I got tired and hit a few bad tee shots. It sucks getting older.
Everything Sucks

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Another good, great, bad round today. The Good - 76, which is a very good but not great score for me on my home course. The great - 5 birdies for the first time. All types, near hole in one (6 inches), chip and putt on par 5, one long putt, two from closer. The bad - +11 on the 13 holes I didn't birdie. Two DB's when I didn't get out of a bunker on first try, 0 scrambles. Also two weird bogeys - was laying up on a par 5 and hit a half swing 7i - should go 140-150 max but went 170 into the hazard, I think things have dried out. Then on 18 from about 40 feet my putt was about 6 inches too hard, after almost stopping by the cup it instead hit the shelf, and went to the lower level, leaving me 30 feet for par.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Aren’t those Magic/tragic golf days, it’s magic or tragic and nothing in between @GBOGEY

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 am

Magic / tragic summed up my round today.

The rust was evident in the front 9.
Quad triple 4xDouble and 3 bogeys for a 54... ouch, was scared I might not break 100.

Back 9 it started to come together better. Drive was playable, some nice approaches, hit some GIR or fringes at least... still burned the cup all day, but back had double, 2x bogeys 5 pars and a 2 ft tap in birdie to finish.
39 on the back 3 over

54 + 39 = 93 is basically net par so not bad.

Feeing great with the new irons. Wedges fee better now their lofts match the numbers in the clubs.
Driver was a little everywhere but in the end I felt ok about it.

Ok after 6 weeks off, now 6 more weeks until the next round.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:31 am

Why so long between rounds G? Did I miss something?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 am

jfurr wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:21 pm
Went back today to my old haunt Charwood where I have played more rounds of golf than anywhere. I think I've been there once since they converted it from a 27 holer to 18. It's still strange. So many things are different now, some greens have been redone, just a lot of random things have changed. I walked up and some of the old regular guys I haven't seen in a few years were still sitting around same as always. The first thing out of one of them's mouth was about how I've gained weight. Fuck. Anyway, I paid for 18 and took a cart because it's hot as ballz today. I ended up being paired with another solo player on #1 and we had a good time. Nice funny guy who described himself as a "lazy cop" who recently caught the golf bug. He's only been playing a year so was pretty much a hacker but keeps up the pace / picks up and moves on etc. Anyway, I was hitting the ball great off the tee, but any time I had a wedge in my hand (which was a lot, it's short course) it was disaster. I was shanking full swing wedges, and yipping my chips again. I would take a premium drive and ruin the hole within 100 yards in. Shot a 49/49 98 with a few penalties on the back went I got tired and hit a few bad tee shots. It sucks getting older.
:nope
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 am

So I start by saying that I have been in a temporary golf nirvana lately. I’ve been swinging extremely well, good distance and reasonable accuracy with the driver and somehow seem to have picked up 5 yards with my irons (which is also a little of a problem) which I am hitting great. The last couple of times out were pretty good scores and yet on each occasion I felt I left more shots than usual out there. So if I can score at the current level and leave shots out there, I’m feeling really good. And Saturday there was PR of 5 birdies. Then Sunday I set another PR.

Mediocre shots led to missed the green on #1 but I had a good chance for an up and down when SH**K went the chip shot – DB. Two pars then on #4 I hit my first good tee shot on the short par 4 in several rounds. Routine wedge coming up when SH**K – luckily it somehow missed the hazard and I made bogey. Next four holes were GIR and two putts. Great drive on par 5 #9, had a chance to go for it in 2 but wasn’t feeling it so I laid up. Routine wedge SH**K – again somehow missed the hazard and I made bogey.

Back 9 was a weird grind – 8 GIRs (one par 5 in 2) but only two first putts within 30 feet and only one of those within 15 feet, so nothing was stress free. Ended with 2 birds, 3 bogeys (2 3 putts), 4 pars for a +5 75. This was one shot better than Saturday despite have 3 less birdies and 3 SH**Ks, which is another PR but one I didn’t want. It seems the abnormal round has become the new normal.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:16 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 am
So I start by saying that I have been in a temporary golf nirvana lately...
Nice to hear someone getting their game in gear. :thumbs

I have not seen much info on the "Newport Cup" on TST. I wonder if our fearless leader is having trouble pulling the event together. You should be able to make the cut easily, when the selections start.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 pm

Likely have a work conflict with Newport Cup - that's okay - just want to keep playing well without any SH**Ks

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 pm

I have had some shanks (on pitches only) lately too. Probably coming a bit too much inside on the back swing. They sure suck! :puke

Anyway, I have to report a round of 79 today (par 71), nothing special really until the last hole, a tad over 400 yards, a good 5 wood approach from the fairway (the hole is uphill and the green is perched besides) left me a good 45-50 feet past and above the hole. It's not a superfast green but the putt is downhill and is f*ing long! What would you know? Just like Jordan Spieth, it rolled down nicely, started curving in on a good line, lost some speed and kept going a bit... right in the hole! :banana :fk :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 am

Nice @sjduffers !!!

@DougE I had an week onsite with a customer, and then 1 week at home and then 1 week away at a conference, and then thursday I fly out to NZ for 6 weeks, so lots of catch up and preparations for that much time off, so just mad busy... especially since i started 2 new podcasts, and I'm in charge of all the audio/visuals for the conference.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 am

@sjduffers - What are the podcasts?

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:17 pm

@GBOGEY - You mean: @gpickin What are the podcasts? :up
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 pm

@jasonfish11 is so confused.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:58 pm

'Sup @bryan k!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 am
golf nirvana

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:50 am

Saturday was another up and down day - 77 (76 +6 for handicap purposes) but it came with 4 bladed wedges which cost 4 strokes - what could have been. Just when I was about to scream about wedge play Sunday it came together - all 5 wedge shots struck very well for a +3 73. Four birdies required a total of 9 feet of putts to execute. I know the TN courses I play are generally easier than the NJ courses I used to play, but I really feel like I'm driving and ball striking as well as ever the last few weeks. Only complaint is chipping/pitching is still below my standards as I failed to get up and down 4 or 5 times yesterday from routine positions - if it snaps back it could be best playing I've ever had.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:25 am

I have been playing and scoring poorly for months. The who thing has become a bit of a downer. Yesterday was more of the same. 84, no birdies, couple of doubles, a lost ball. I did manage to par the last two holes to savage a mediocre score (84 is the new 79 for me). "Fortunately" it looks like we are getting more rain for the weekend so I can leave the clubs alone for a while.

Speaking of the weather, this year has sucked. First the "Polar Vortex" and now "Monsoon Season". We are in Mid-June and have yet to touch 80 degrees. It rains at least every other day, hard. The entire Mitten is one large sodden heap of mud. The soft, wet fairways are bounded by extremely healthy and often unusually long rough. It is hard to get excited about slopping through the wet turf only to post an 88. Sigh.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Feeling your pain today. Accompanied mrs. bogey on a trip to Indiana and weather limited me to 9 holes with tomorrow doubtful- perfect weather at home.

As to the 9 holes, 4 near perfect holes for 2 birds and 2 pars (one shot was too perfect as it almost hit flag and went too far but a perfect flop saved par). Other 5 holes each had an off the charts bad shot that made making 5 bogeys commendable. I did like seeing bent grass again.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:59 am

Cracked 90 for the first time at Da Club for an 88. Driver was better after I made an adjustment to make it an upright lie. The hybrid is an absolute beast the couple of times I hit it. All in all I was not disappointed.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:34 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:25 am
I have been playing and scoring poorly for months. The who thing has become a bit of a downer....

....We are in Mid-June and have yet to touch 80 degrees. It rains at least every other day, hard. The entire Mitten is one large sodden heap of mud. The soft, wet fairways are bounded by extremely healthy and often unusually long rough. It is hard to get excited about slopping through the wet turf only to post an 88. Sigh.
BK, you are too good of a golfer for it to be anything other than a little slump. The poor playing conditions are surely also affecting your attitude about your game. My advice; take a few days off, then go out alone when you can find a quiet time and play a couple/three balls, with no pressure to shoot a score. Play golfshot, instead of golf. Find your game. It's out there. This always seems to work for me when the slumps hit. Key is to go out alone, away from everyone where there is no outside pressure.

Make a shot, any shot, driver through putter. If you don't like something specific about the way you swung the club or the result, make another correcting the first mistake, and another if necessary, until you find the fix. Do that on every shot you don't like. Eventually you will likely fix a bunch of stuff that you don't even realize is actually off right now. You'll start hitting the ball better all around, your confidence will come back, which will definitely bring your game back. I know this method often works for me. Just gotta get out on the course, in real golf situations, ALONE, and you'll solve the problems.

For me, the range is not the best place to work on the game when the whole game is off, and the attitude is too. Flat lies on my home course are hard to find, so making good shots from perfect flat lies on the range doesn't usually mean all that much. Plus all the judgemental eyes watching your every mistake as you try new swing ideas doesn't always allow you to swing freely and be uninhibited. My ego gets in the way for that. Heaven for fend I hit a bad shot on the range with someone watching. But, you learn from your mistakes. If you are unwilling to allow yourself to experiment and make mistakes then fixing the problems will be harder. That's why going out alone on the course usually works so well for me.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:28 am

More of the same. 82. The pluses were:
a. 2 birdies (the first multiple birdie day in a long time)
b. 13 GIR

Of course I had to bookend the first nine with triples and four 3-putts slowed me down. Still, some positives were there. The course was a quagmire after it rained the entire previous day. Greens were slow, which led to most of the putting issues.

p.s DougE, thanks for the kind advice. It worked, mostly. ;)
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Hold on to your arse fellas, I shot a 79 today at Da Club. Can't really believe it myself.
Windmill Lakes 06-22-19 79.png
Windmill Lakes 06-22-19 79.png (627.81 KiB) Viewed 364 times