WTF did you shoot today?

MattF
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by MattF » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:51 am

Shot a 42 on the front 9 at Windmill. I ran into the last half of a junior tournament on 12, so I called it quits.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:24 am

CeeBee wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:27 pm
I told you several years ago it was a fine track.
Yes, you did. And I have been playing it a few times a year since I got to MD, beginning with your recommendation. This year it has been in absolutely wonderful condition every time I played it. I still love WM and believe it is a touch more challenging though. Yet, I have to say, the greens at Musket on this most recent visit, were as fast as I have ever seen them. Comparable to WM, only without as much undulation and slope.

The thing that makes Musket so attractive to me---in addition to its beauty and conditioning---is that it is just far enough out from the DC crowd that it doesn't get nearly the everyday play. It is usually peaceful and serene for a midday, mid-week round. Worthington is rockin' from 7-7, 7 days a week.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm

78 on super-fast greens with some pins unfairly set on slopes. Pissed me off. Friggin guy who set pins today needs to learn what is and is not fair. It's one thing to set a pin on a slight slope when the stimp is slow enough to stop the ball on that slope. It's clearly another thing to have the greens rolling at 12+ with no way to stop a ball on that same slope without it actually going in the hole. I had two putts today run right up to a hole and virtually stop within a few inches of the hole, only to then start to trickle, pick up more speed and roll 10 or more feet down the slope.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm
78 on super-fast greens with some pins unfairly set on slopes. Pissed me off. Friggin guy who set pins today needs to learn what is and is not fair. It's one thing to set a pin on a slight slope when the stimp is slow enough to stop the ball on that slope. It's clearly another thing to have the greens rolling at 12+ with no way to stop a ball on that same slope without it actually going in the hole. I had two putts today run right up to a hole and virtually stop within a few inches of the hole, only to then start to trickle, pick up more speed and roll 10 or more feet down the slope.
HA! I learned about this last year after I moved. If it's cold enough for the Bermuda grass to go dormant, then the Bermuda kind of curls up. Makes them faster than usual. Totally not what I expected.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Even though I mentioned it yesterday, I fell victim to similar issues today. Greens already dormant and fast. Losing 15-20 yards off the tee. We went straight past fall. 79, not bad considering I hadn't played in a few weeks and I was getting my back into the swing.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Had a solid 75 today. Given the conditions - limited roll and winter greens - was very pleased. Will likely move up a tee soon for the winter. More importantly, the back was not an issue at all. Have a big trip coming up.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 am

Shot an 81 Thursday, but the important factor is that it was at TPC Sawgrass. Hideously expensive but a really neat experience. Best I've played on a Marquee course - decided to take my medicine whenever I was out of position really only two bad holes, unfortunately one of those was #17. Difficult combination of pin position, distance, and wind for me - pulled left into the water. But overall very pleased and it checks off my 2019 bucket list goals.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Jealous, but happy for you.

What club did you hit on 17th? What was distance that day and wind speed/direction? Who did you play with, friends or paired with others you didn't know?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Back in the early 90s my dad played sawgrass. One of his best golf memories is birdying 17.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:10 pm

But 81 at that course is a really good score
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I played with a young man from Australia, who was near scratch, and two sales guys who 20-25 handicaps. Really fun group but a random pairing- actually on a tennis trip with my wife and the carrot for me was to work in good golf

17 was playing 128 yards but you needed 122 to carry the water and there was about a 1-1.5 club wind right at me. Without the wind it’s an easy pitching wedge, with the wind I need a hard 9i but my tendency is to pull a hard 9i left and I did.

I can see why they call it an iron players course. Greens really didn’t have near as much action as I expected, although they were also slower than usual due to over seeding. The drives are challenging, especially for pros looking for birdies and many of the greens are small or odd shaped.

17, btw, is much smaller than it looks on tv.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:56 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 pm
I played with a young man from Australia, who was near scratch,
I'll apologize now. :lolz BTW, well played.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:33 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 am
Shot an 81 Thursday, but the important factor is that it was at TPC Sawgrass. Hideously expensive but a really neat experience. Best I've played on a Marquee course - decided to take my medicine whenever I was out of position really only two bad holes, unfortunately one of those was #17. Difficult combination of pin position, distance, and wind for me - pulled left into the water. But overall very pleased and it checks off my 2019 bucket list goals.
Nice playing on a tough course. I have not played a bucket list-type course in ages.

Oh, and well negotiated, getting a golf round out of a tennis trip!! :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Had somewhat of a Twilight Zone round today. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I pulled off. Conditions were not great. Rained all day yesterday and continued to do so today. Put on the rain gear before I teed off. There was no getting around it today. Had to play though. Forecast for tonight is for snow. Cold the rest of the week, barely above freezing for the high, so figured I better get my butt out there today, rain or no rain. It was supposed to get into the 50s, and I'm pretty sure it did. Wasn't too cold. Just wet. Oh, and cart path only. Consequently, lots of guessing about which clubs to take to the ball.

So as not to bore you with the entire round, I will just tell you about the start. After hitting a decent drive on the first, I hit a crap approach and felt like my swing wasn't going to be good today. I then proceeded to put a lob wedge to 18 inches to save par. Okay, felt a little better. Again on 2nd, yanked my approach left of green and pitched to 6 ft, then made the putt for my 2nd up and down in two attempts. Good start. On the 3rd, I had no shot at the green. With the soggy conditions, I was too far back. So laid up to 85 yards and hit a full sand wedge to 6 feet. Again, made the putt for par. 3 holes, three up and down pars. On 4th, again, missed left of green, flopped over bunker to 15'. Son of a bitch if I didn't make that one too! 4 pars in a row. No GIRs. Great start on four of the tougher holes of the course.

Okay, I said I wouldn't tell you about the entire round, so suffice it to say, I continued to have some good luck and make great putts. I was flabbergasted by a few of the putts I sunk, including a 25 footer and a 35 footer. In the end, I shot a 78 from the blue tees with a B, or maybe even a B- ballstriking day on a soggy soft course, but an A+ putting day. 12 1-putts and only one 3-putt which ended in my only double of the day. My worst GIR day of the year and my best putting day in a few years. 25 putts on very difficult, undulating greens with lots of slope. I guess I'm happy, despite a less than average ballstriking day.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:09 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:52 pm
Had somewhat of a Twilight Zone round today. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I pulled off.... I'm happy, despite a less than average ballstriking day.
:up The putter and wedge have saved a lot of rounds for us all.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 am

I played yesterday, 40s temps and 20-30 mph winds. Wind was so strong on the way that I nearly got pushed backwards on my bike.

Surprised at how well I hit the ball, especially with irons. Chipping was good too, chipped in for the second consecutive round. Putting was a horrorshow. Shot 94 with many three-putts. Now that I am getting excited to play again, we are probably going to get snowed out.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:58 am

First Florida outing this trip: 78 (37/41 with rain the whole back nine). Had 2 doubles, one of which had a Stroke & Distance penalty. 3 birdies though. Greens were perfect and, for the most part, fairly flat. It was a pleasure to be off the incredibly difficult greens at Worthington for a change. No wonder everyone comes to Florida to play golf. Anyone can putt these things.

I usually have to get used to the different turf conditions here to gain a little confidence before I play well in Florida. But not this time. Confidence was there after my first approach shot came in on target, and never left me the whole round. One shank off a steep ball-below-the-feet lie, into water, as well as an over-cooked approach shot into some Florida shrubbery left of the green on another hole, were the reason for the two doubles. I was fairly happy otherwise.

This was a very nice course. University Park CC in Sarasota. One of the nicer places on the west coast of FL. Usually over $100 in season, but I got on for 40 bucks. So I scored well TWICE yesterday. Oh, and it was about 75 degrees. So actually THREE times.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:26 am

Hell yeah motherfucker. :thumbs

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:49 am

Played a track yesterday that did not fit my eye. And the conditions were not great, though the greens were okay. The River Club in Bradenton, FL. Won't be going back there again. Played from the whites. I was warned beforehand by the cart guy. "It's short, but tough." It was only 5900 yards, but tight, with lots of trouble. Very small greens. Dwarf greens as they say. I only hit 7 or 8 of them in regulation. The fairways were very saturated. It rained quite a bit on Monday, but not so much that I was prepared for such wet conditions. I was uncomfortable with the very soft turf. And too many water hazards. Being the first time I played it, I had no idea where some of those hazards were hiding. Though a Florida course, there was enough large mounding to hide many hazards. I found a few with what I thought were excellent shots, only to come over a mound and find a pond.

One par 4 on the back was playing only 297 yards from the whites. From the tee it looked like a pretty straight shot. I knew I couldn't reach, but figured I'd see how close I could get. Hit one of my best drives of the day. There was quite a bit of a side slope to the fairway where the ball landed and it bounced and rolled down that slope to the right another 20-30 yards, out of my line of sight. Overall, I probably covered 265 with the drive. As I'm driving up, I see water on the right leading all the way up to the green. I could not see any water standing on the tee. As it turned out, my ball stopped about a foot short of the water in wet rough. I was lucky that time and was able to pitch on and 2-putt for par. However, had I known about the water on the tee, I would have hit a hybrid. I only used driver off the tee about 9 or 10 times. That was probably too much for this course, but I was fairly accurate with my driver yesterday, so didn't get into too much trouble, luckily.

To further disappoint me, the course had homes along every hole. And, many were quite close to landing areas. So that was in my head too. Some of you ex-Oobers may remember, I have a history with hitting one house in particular. Bad memories still linger in my head and cause me tension when in close quarters with homes. (For those who don't remember the story, here's a link to it on my writing site, if you're interested: https://www.dougely.net/mind-play)

If you count all the mistakes I made due to not knowing where I should be aiming I probably shot 85 or 86. I did not keep score after the first few screw ups, but I likely would have shot 80-82 with the game I had yesterday and some knowledge of the course.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:00 am

Well, are you playing today? I have never played on Christmas or our anniversary (11/17). Every other "important" day I have covered.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:26 am

Nope.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:44 am

Nothing open here.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Munis are open here. I played yesterday though. 93 at my favorite course Neshanic Valley. Includes a triple bogey 8 and a quad 9. Other than that, was pretty decent though. :fuckall Conditions were a little bit frustrating but weather was nice and Ms Beef had a great time. It's a bit of a drive to get out there, an hour and a half, but so worth it, to get away from people.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:15 pm

We are in a stretch of great December weather. May try to tee it up Thursday and Friday. Like FL, even if I wanted to play today, everything is closed.

Long ago, my parent's club in FL allowed members to walk the course when it was officially closed. Still never did the Christmas Golf thing.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:27 pm

On the front nine I couldn't make contact. Afraid to commit, I stood way too far from the ball. Plus I was tired from deadlifting this morning. I usually have faith that things will get better before a round is over but today I could not see it happening. On the back nine I forced myself closer to the ball and sure enough I started to hit it better. I hit four greens in a row at one point. But then on the 18th tee I hit one off the planet and made 7, derailing my progress once again. Still somehow I am itching to play again. Really want to get out there and force myself to stand really close to that ball.