Course Staff and Rangers

GBOGEY

Course Staff and Rangers

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:01 pm

i decided this deserves its own thread because of the stories that they create.

So the course I went to today has 9 holes closed as they put in a new sprinkler system. So the guy behind the counter says only 9 holes are open and sells me a 9 hole fee. I asked what should I do if I want a 2nd 9 and he says just go around again it doesn't matter. Now I would have gladly paid the extra $4 for 18 but he told me not to worry about it.

So the starter looks at me and says this is a 9 hold ticket. And I replied but the guy in the shop told me I could go around again. "The starter says you're not going to want to do that. There's lots of groups ahead of you and coming up behind."

So I finish the 9 (in about an hour 40) and head back to the tee box to go around again. As I'm walking down the fairway the starter (who was also the ranger) is coming the other direction. He said, "are you going around again?" I said "yes." He said, "I guess you bought an 18 hole ticket." I just said "yes" and went on.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Course Staff and Rangers

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 am

Wish I could chip in but we actually don't have rangers/marshalls/ambassadors here. That's kind of our local custom I guess. NYC golfers don't believe in enforcing pace of play, it's not in the culture. Wish I was cracking wise here.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am

Decades ago, our city-owned course was always quite busy. There was a lot less competition and the prices were too low (but since the City at that time subsidized the operation). The clubhouse guy (Herb) was a well known curmudgeon and general all-around ass to his customers. But since the course was busy and low cost, we all had to put up with his shit.

In early April a buddy and I had a tee time for Saturday. It was scheduled as a 4-some but two guys dropped out because the temperature was under 40 degrees and snow was predicted. We arrived at the clubhouse at 10am and there are 3 cars in the parking lot: mine, my friend's and probably the person behind the cash register.

We enter the clubhouse. Herb is behind the desk, glaring at us. We saunter over and tell him we are the 10:30am group but only two of us are going to be playing today. He snarls that only 4-somes are allowed out on the weekend. We look around the empty clubhouse, then out to the parking lot, with the three cars. Then we look out at the empty course. I pipe up, "There is nobody here!" Herb thinks about this for a while and then says the closest thing to a nice reply he may have ever uttered: "Well... we will make an exception this one time but don't ever again show up with less than 4 people and expect to play."

During the back nine it snowed really hard off and on but as soon as it stopped snowing, the warm ground would melt the snow and everything returned to playable. It was a lot of fun playing a few holes in the snow. I stopped playing at the City course, except for tournaments, until Herb retired. They named the City Junior Tournament after Herb - a grossly misplaced honor, in my opinion.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:05 pm

That reminds me, there was one manager at Dyker Beach about a decade ago who built up a pretty solid asshole reputation in a very short time. He was of that cop genotype. I.e. thick neck, oversized head, condescending way of interacting with people. "Ok sir/ma'am/folks, what I'm gonna need you to do for me right now..."

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Why is the vast majority of golf course staff so awful anyways?

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:06 pm
My guess is it's because of years of being bored out of their (tiny?) minds.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:15 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
That's probably a little of an overstatement - I've met so many who were really nice. But the grumpy ones always surprise me. Let's face it - these are usually retirees who work/volunteer at the golf course because they love golf (and often are paid in golf benefits). You would think that they would want to make the experience as pleasant for everyone as possible and that they would understand how golfers think. Sadly, there are those who clearly are in another camp.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:15 am
legitimatebeef wrote:
retirees who work/volunteer at the golf course
I see that most courses don't pay these people. I would counter that with "you get what you pay for." :puke

You're right perhaps, "vast majority" is an overstatement. "Majority" is not however. Around these parts at least.

Now that we are dredging up shitty memories of worthless people, I remember one starter on an empty course not letting me out and making me wait until more people showed up because "golf is meant to be played in foursomes". I hope that asshole is decomposing in some woods somewhere right now. Ok maybe that's a little harsh. But still. What the hell kind of business practice is that? What other business in the world pulls this kind of shit? What if you went to a restaurant and half the staff were retirees with nothing better to do, volunteers who got paid in free meals and display zero concern for the customer experience or the restaurant's profitability? You would not stand for it! :fuckall

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 am

Knowing many starters and rangers personally myself, most of whom also play golf themselves, I think some of them feel the public golfer who pays to play is just a nuisance, at least if they are not specifically known by the ranger/starter as one of the "good" guys. If you aren't in the clic, you are just another guy making his job more difficult. (As if they have a tough job to begin with :roll: .)

On the other hand, there are also many who understand the concept of excellent customer relations. My guess is most of those types are not found in the NYC area. :o

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 am
Now that we are dredging up shitty memories of worthless people, I remember one starter on an empty course not letting me out and making me wait until more people showed up because "golf is meant to be played in foursomes".
The memories are coming back. This guy also rationalized that if he were to let me out by myself, as a single, I would then "hold up everyone else who shows up after you."

Whatever. Let's not pursue this any further. You know what? I don't think I care for this topic even one bit. Thanks a lot Gbogey. :onfire

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am
The memories are coming back. This guy also rationalized that if he were to let me out by myself, as a single, I would then "hold up everyone else who shows up after you."
While not on the Staff/Ranger tangent exactly, I was once going to be a walker paired with a threesome after a frost delay, and as I was checking in with the starter, they took off. When I saw them on the second tee, they said they wanted to play 36, and did not want me to have to run to keep up. :onfire So I rode their ass, almost driving the 7th green while they were putting, before watching all three of them put their tee shots on 8 into the woods. :clapping They finally let me play through, and I finished an hour ahead of them. :fu
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 am
While not on the Staff/Ranger tangent exactly, I was once going to be a walker paired with a threesome after a frost delay, and as I was checking in with the starter, they took off. When I saw them on the second tee, they said they wanted to play 36, and did not want me to have to run to keep up. :onfire So I rode their ass, almost driving the 7th green while they were putting, before watching all three of them put their tee shots on 8 into the woods. :clapping They finally let me play through, and I finished an hour ahead of them. :fu
I hate dipshits that think 1 guy walking is slower than 2-4 guys in carts. From what I hear this is an "American" issue as most courses in Europe are walking only (or cart only with medical reasons).

Dumb Americans
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm

I walked ahead of a twosome in a cart yesterday. They never came close. And, I'm old.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I think most of these crotchety a-holes work at municipals.

Most of the privately owned courses or resort courses are falling over themselves to make sure you are happy. 'You get what you pay for' is dead on. Shit, I've been to courses where they give you fresh baked cookies on the first tee.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm

I've never seen anything like cookies but one time at a nice course the starter is about to send us off, and he says, "Now hang on just a sec and I'll get you a couple bottles of water." I was so confused. It was kind of an embarrassing exchange. "Oh no, I don't want to buy any water." Eventually I figured out that a) this course provides people with free water to all their guests and 2) yes, I too am considered a guest here. :bawl

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm

At all the munis where I play, none of the rangers (or marshals) are empowered to do anything about slow play: even when there is a hole open in front of a slow group, they can never make them move and skip a hole, they can only have a talk and that is even too much. I guess the expectation from the course is that the mere sight of a marshal will create fear in the slow players... who are usually too oblivious to notice that they are slow, or that there is a group behind waiting on them or that there is a guy in a cart driving the wrong way looking at them!

So, rightfully, those guys working for free golf do nothing, look for lost balls (and sometimes hand out a few!) and generally occupy their 4 hours shift the best they can without doing any work, except sometimes drive back and forth between groups returning clubs forgotten on the side of a green to their (oblivious) owners... Sad state of affairs but it's created by the courses' management.
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:00 pm

My most memorable experience of golf course assholery is at the Montebello Golf Course, which is an average city-run golf course outside of L.A. For whatever reason, the people behind the desk (a wide wooden paneled thing that looks like a judge's bench) are on a raised platform, like 8 inches higher than everyone else. I was checking in as a single and the guy said 'you can't wear that on the course'. I didn't know what he was talking about so I looked down and then back up, with a stupid look on my face. 'You need a collared shirt'. I was wearing khakis and this type of shirt (apparently, called a Henley, didn't know that).

It's not like I was trying to walk on with jeans and a t-shirt. Fucker was gonna make me buy their stupid $40 shirts in the crappy pro shop to play a twilight weekday round. Luckily, I found a collared work shirt in my car. I never forgot that experience and his stupid face. Maybe I'm the one out of line, I normally conform to all the codes and rules and what not, I think it was the sum of the experience and his attitude and how schlubby the pro shop was for him to be that snooty.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:04 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:33 pm
At all the munis where I play, none of the rangers (or marshals) are empowered to do anything about slow play: even when there is a hole open in front of a slow group, they can never make them move and skip a hole, they can only have a talk and that is even too much. I guess the expectation from the course is that the mere sight of a marshal will create fear in the slow players... who are usually too oblivious to notice that they are slow, or that there is a group behind waiting on them or that there is a guy in a cart driving the wrong way looking at them!

So, rightfully, those guys working for free golf do nothing, look for lost balls (and sometimes hand out a few!) and generally occupy their 4 hours shift the best they can without doing any work, except sometimes drive back and forth between groups returning clubs forgotten on the side of a green to their (oblivious) owners... Sad state of affairs but it's created by the courses' management.
In any other business and industry, the proprietor would fear his customers getting upset, and send one of his employees out to deal with the situation. Of course this no pleasant job, and yet the employee, understanding that a) it is a job b) work sucks and 3) within reason, you have to more or less do what the boss says, sucks it up and deals with it. Dirty work is the whole point of having employees :fk and that is why historically the vast majority of successful businesses UTILIZE EMPLOYEES AND NOT VOLUNTEERS. Fuckin shit, people wonder why golf course patronage is declining. Try hiring some employees to like, ensure a good customer experience you stupid weak fucking idiots. Like every other business has to. Sorry no pity from me ever. Jesus now I'm really pissed off.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:00 pm
My most memorable experience of golf course assholery is at the Montebello Golf Course, which is an average city-run golf course outside of L.A. For whatever reason, the people behind the desk (a wide wooden paneled thing that looks like a judge's bench) are on a raised platform, like 8 inches higher than everyone else. I was checking in as a single and the guy said 'you can't wear that on the course'. I didn't know what he was talking about so I looked down and then back up, with a stupid look on my face. 'You need a collared shirt'. I was wearing khakis and this type of shirt (apparently, called a Henley, didn't know that).

It's not like I was trying to walk on with jeans and a t-shirt. Fucker was gonna make me buy their stupid $40 shirts in the crappy pro shop to play a twilight weekday round. Luckily, I found a collared work shirt in my car. I never forgot that experience and his stupid face. Maybe I'm the one out of line, I normally conform to all the codes and rules and what not, I think it was the sum of the experience and his attitude and how schlubby the pro shop was for him to be that snooty.
If I was working behind a pro shop desk and in a bad mood I could see myself doing the same thing. :breaking