Smartphone talk

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Smartphone talk

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am

This subforum could use some excitement. So let's talk about smartphones. Because I just found out that I am now a free at last--I am no longer under contract, no longer in an abusive, exploitative relationship with AT and T. The world is my oyster right now. Iphone, Galaxy, whatever. Not just that, I am free to choose a new provider and to learn to love again. T-mobile, Sprint, rollover data, etc. A lot has changed and it's all kind of overwhelming now that I am back on the market.

Most likely I will go with another iphone because I am an Apple tard I guess. But I will probably go with the 5s because the 6 is just too big. I thought about getting a 6+ to do double duty as a tablet, but come on, trying to use that thing as a pocket-based device, it will piss me off, I know it. The 5 is borderline too big even. Sucks to get a new device that's going to be outmoded in a few months, but hardware wise the 6 isn't that much of an upgrade. Same camera (except for 60 fps video), same screen resolution, everything else is comparable. Besides shouldn't we all slow it down a bit, be happy with the current state of smartphone technology, which is pretty fucking awesome if you think about it, and not be so desperate all the time for the next thing?

I would keep my using my 4s, hell I actually think it's an ideal size for a pocket-based device and the camera and screen are pretty damn good still, but there are the inevitable software issues brought about by the manufacturer's cruel, relentless pushing of older devices into obsolescence.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

Coda1850

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:17 pm

I've had a HTC Sensation for over 3 years now. With T-Mobile. It's main use has been as a golf gps. I could give a shit 95% of the time having it besides then. I'm now a, or will be when the snow melts, a laser rangefinder-er.

Actually - it's other use has been to play podcasts @ home or in the car. or while shoveling snow (or the 2 or 3 times a year I do some actual yardwork. sorry yard, gotta go golf).

At this point I don't have to make my phone my tablet @ home. I just bought the wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro as a "congratulations, you have lived another year". This means I get her Nexus tablet I bought her as a "congratulations Jesus was born" momento.

I don't even know what I'm saying at this point.
-I guess the HTC Sensation has been fine.
-I'm exited to have a tablet.
-Her new tablet seems to be better than mine. What gives?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:39 pm

I have the iPhone 6, and the size is a little big, but worth it to not be outdated in 6 months. First phone i ever NEEDED a case for though, since it's pretty slick without it. I do like some of the other smart phones out there, but Apple is too integrated into my life (ipad, apple tv, ibook, etc) that bringing in an android or something else wouldn't make much sense at this point. Plus, after having iphones since the first one, i know what to expect, and never expect to be too impressed with their new iterations.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't like taxes. There's an apple-tax. They cost more than they should.
Also, I like to go against the grain.

I did consider an iPad Air/iPad Air 2 when shopping for a tablet for my wife. But resisted.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:24 pm

I have some Apple devices in my home (iPad 2, MacBook Pro (2011)), but I've been with Android/Google since 2010 when my wife and I got our first smartphones.

I currently have a Nexus 6, which is about as big as they get (slightly larger than either iPhone 6+ or Note 4), but have become accustomed to the size. I was initially concerned with the size and being able to 'one-hand' it (I have medium sized hands), but I finally said fuck it and went for it. The body learns to adjust. I wouldn't want anything bigger, I think a 6" screen is the limit. I really don't have any issues pocketing it, surprisingly (wearing mostly dress casual Khakis during the week, jeans or shorts on the weekend), and keep it in my left front pocket. I have it pocketed during golf rounds too and it doesn't bother me.

As far as carriers go, I've had T-mobile for over a decade. T-mobile is brilliant in metro areas (data/speed/signal wise), but is the worst in rural areas. They are running a limited time promotion now for 2x lines with unlimited everything (no data caps or throttles at all), for $100 (+ the cost of your phone (if you buy a new one), which they simply break down the retail cost of and split it over 24 payments ), which is pretty damned rare and I think once you get it, you'll be grandfathered. There's no contract. T-mobile is being super aggressive right now about getting customers.

Can't understate the luxury of unlimited LTE data, if you're a tech/power user. I can stream all the golf channel/NBC I want at work on my phone and stream music till the cows come home and not give a crap about my monthly allowance.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Coda1850 wrote: At this point I don't have to make my phone my tablet @ home. I just bought the wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro as a "congratulations, you have lived another year". This means I get her Nexus tablet I bought her as a "congratulations Jesus was born" momento.
Now here's a guy who understands the human condition. :clap:

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. Definitely giving me something to think about. Which maybe I didn't want to do, but thanks anyways. JA, I was pretty set on not getting the 6, until you made that comment. It is big, and not only that, it seems slippery. I really do like my old phone. The last time around I was upgrading from a 3GS, and was eager to do it because that phone had some major shortcomings that were arguably holding me back in life. No camera flash for god's sake. Now though, the eagerness to upgrade is just not there. Getting a new phone isn't going to give me any jollies this time, I fear. I feel the rate of technology progress might be plateauing a bit. It has to right?

Damnit. Looks like I'll have to stop by the phone store and get my grubby paws on these things then maybe i'll decide. Now that I'm out of contract though, I did change my plan to one that's more humane. AT and T really had me bent over the barrel. Now there seems to be a price war going on and much better options for consumers. I didn't go for unlimited data because it'd be overkill, but I did get a data rollover plan, which should provide all the bytes I need.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Ok checked out some floor models. The 6, its a big screen but admittedly it seems compact, must be the smoothed edges and light weight. I left without a new phone, but I felt good about it. I'll take a wait and see approach.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Apple has me by the leash too for my iTunes and stuff like JA. Plus I know some of the droids have more features and wizardry but I kind of like how the outdates iphone just works. Only reason I see to upgrade is to get the huge 6+ screen because my eyes are going bad.

BUT to be honest, there are some new Windows phones that looks awesome too and might hook into work better. I have considered going crazy and getting the Windows platform next. I hope to keep this one through another year I hope.

I had the first Droid Eris and it was such a piece of shit I guess I got rubbed the wrong way on Android.

I put one of those Mophie cases on my 5 - it has a spare battery built into the back. It makes the unit a litter easier to hold and offers a bit of protection and the ability to fully recharge is great. Only downside is that it has a USB-type charging jack, and I have to remove the bottom every time I want to connect the Apple connector instead or a 1/8" audio jack to the headphones. I'm used to it though.

I would definitely skip the 5 and go right to 6 if I were you and planning to stay on Apple.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 am

I just upgraded to the LG G3. It's larger than I like, but it's not so large that I won't be able to get used to it. It still fits in the holder I have in my car so I can drive hands free while the GPS and MP3 player are going, so that's a huge bonus.

The primary use I have for that phone is the GPS driving app. I switched to a stand-alone device for golfing so I could stay within the USGA regulations (because all smartphones have a compass). The thing that frightens me is that I can have actual conversations with the dang thing.

Me: "OK, Google. How do I get to Ahwatukee Golf Course?"
Google: "Which Ahwatukee Golf Course do you mean?"
Me: "Ahwatukee Country Club."
Google: "Push start to get turn-by-turn directions."

It's pretty flipping slick, if you want to ask me. With my old phone, the conversation would go like this:

Me: "OK, Google. How do I get to Ahwatukee Golf Course?"
Google: "Two thousand, one hudred, and twenty-three plus four equals two thousand, one hundred, and twenty-seven."
Me: "God, you're an idiot."
Google: "God you're an idiot is a blog featuring people who look like ungodly fools."
Me: "Shut up"
Google: "Shut up is a direct command with a meaning very similar to 'be quiet'"
Me: <pulls battery>

jev

Post by jev » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:34 am

I use a HTC One S. Not the newest model by far, but it's large enough to use and small enough to slip in a pocket. My wife has the Nexus 5 which personally I find too big (other than that, it has a plastic feeling to it that I don't really like).

If the ongoing fight between Oppo and Cyanogen would not be such an issue, a OnePlus One would be great. The original idea (hardware from OnePlus, software from Cyanogen) was a sure winner I guess.

For me, no Apple iPhone. I hate iTunes, still think it's heavily overpriced and don't like the whole Apple "we know it better than you do so here's your new phone and deal with it" idea.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:33 pm

jev wrote:For me, no Apple iPhone. I hate iTunes, still think it's heavily overpriced and don't like the whole Apple "we know it better than you do so here's your new phone and deal with it" idea.
I don't like it either. But any manufacturer of a product you depend on, will try to bend you over the barrel. Some are just more discreet about it than others. But ya, Apple is one that is constantly trying to push the consumer-product relationship into the unhealthy realm.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:42 pm

jfurr wrote:I would definitely skip the 5 and go right to 6 if I were you and planning to stay on Apple.
Damnit you guys got me considering the bigass phone now. What if farsightedness is not an issue, still recommend the 6? I'm still happily browsing internet on a 3.5" screen. Right now the primary appeal in upgrading is the "LTE" capability.

Couple things. I dont really use a smartphone for work, so I am a little leery of upgrading to a device that encourages more internet time wasting. Also not sure if I have room in my pants pockets. (disclosure: I'm not really a relaxed-fit chinos kind of guy)

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Phone size comparison tool:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Dang. The iPhone 6 is actually slightly smaller than the LG G3. I honestly don't think I could use the Galaxy S5. The G3 is the absolute upper limit for size as far as I'm concerned. I should note that my work phone is a Blackberry, and I would prefer that over anything Apple has to offer.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 am

Beef - Are you wearing skinny jeans? Be honest. If you are, i'd suggest only using a rotary phone, and maybe sticking to a typewriter for your work stuff.

If not, the 6 fits fine in any front pocket.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 am

jattruia wrote:Beef - Are you wearing skinny jeans? Be honest. If you are, i'd suggest only using a rotary phone, and maybe sticking to a typewriter for your work stuff.

They call them "Slim fit" :x plenty of normal people wear them.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 pm

I wore 'em back in the '80s. Except the waist was higher so our cracks didn't show.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 am

bryan k wrote:I wore 'em back in the '80s. Except the waist was higher so our cracks didn't show.
Any the bottom of the legs flared out a bit... :wtf:
Throw me another ball will ya!

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:05 am

MattF wrote:
bryan k wrote:I wore 'em back in the '80s. Except the waist was higher so our cracks didn't show.
They didn't "flare out". They were just loose enough so that you could put your socks on *after* your pants.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:32 pm

bryan k wrote:
MattF wrote:
They didn't "flare out". They were just loose enough so that you could put your socks on *after* your pants.
:lol:

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:25 pm

jattruia wrote:Beef - Are you wearing skinny jeans? Be honest. If you are, i'd suggest only using a rotary phone, and maybe sticking to a typewriter for your work stuff.

Obviously the cell phone holster is the right option for LB.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:32 pm

I have an S5 with a Slim Armor case (Verizon service) and it's no big deal to have in my pocket. It sits in my car's cup holder nicely as well. Big screen and easy to use.

Disclaimer 1: I'm an anti-Apple person and have been for 15+ years so no iPhones for me.
Disclaimer 2: I like my pants loose enough that my stump and bails can breathe (cricket reference so maybe only jev and JPJ will get that).

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:22 am

brianmk24 wrote: Disclaimer 2: I like my pants loose enough that my stump and bails can breathe (cricket reference so maybe only jev and JPJ will get that).
And me....gotta let the gentlemen's vegetables breathe.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:06 pm

You guys think I am walking around like Robert Plant circa 1973. I am not. The kind of slim fits they make these days, they tend to be snug around the knees not the groin. I would never walk around with a pressed fruit salad. I can fit the phones in the pocket okay. The main problem is that I use the earphones a lot and that plug effectively adds at least another inch of bother to the total length. And it's touchy, if you fuck with it enough the earphones will crap out. I've replaced them so many times.

Anyways I've come to a decision, a disappointing one since I started this topic. I know that I will be shunned by society but for now I am going to stand against the current of technological progress. After soul searching I realized that I still like my ancient iphone. Maybe it's low self esteem or something but it still meets my needs. I think I realized this after walking out of the phone-store last week empty-handed and feeling totally numb about not getting a new toy. Even if I got the latest model it wouldn't make much difference in the day to day. The only real practical benefit in upgrading was the fingerprint unlock thing. Sure I could take higher resolution video and scrutinize my golf swing even harder, but come on. That's not going to help anything.

Eventually the manufacturer roots out the slow adopters and forces them to upgrade. When my number is called I will comply--kicking and screaming. But for now at around $600 the price of a new phone is just way too steep to make an indifferent purchase. Apple can take their planned obsolescence and gag on it.