Smartphone talk

bryan k

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by bryan k » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:27 pm

I read on my Facebook feed today that JNCO Jeans are making a comeback. I never had a pair. Mostly because it seems you need two people to properly fit into a pair. That said, I'm pretty sure any smart phone would fit into the pocket of one of those bad boys....along with a laptop, a refrigerator, and a bag of weed.
Last edited by bryan k on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:23 pm

Holy crap, I remember selling JNCOs when I worked at the mall in HS and college.

jev

Post by jev » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 am

The latest and greatest hype in Japan: the clamshell featurephone is making a come-back, see http://www.cnbc.com/id/102441104
So I totally get it that you don't want to re-invest in an expensive smartphone for just another year of service - you're ready for the future! :D
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:19 am

jev wrote:The latest and greatest hype in Japan: the clamshell featurephone is making a come-back, see http://www.cnbc.com/id/102441104
So I totally get it that you don't want to re-invest in an expensive smartphone for just another year of service - you're ready for the future! :D
Thanks for the link. Wouldn't surprise me to see a similar revival stateside. I for one am proud about not upgrading my phone. I feel like I am standing up for something, in a tiny infinitesimal way, standing up to the evil empire and saying "I have enough technology to get by, now get out of my face." It is liberating.

Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:36 pm

I've been finally watching the Breaking Bad series, which is only a couple years old, and its weird because there are no smartphones anywhere. And a lot of important things happen because people calling and talking on (flip) cell phones, which looks a little odd too.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:04 pm

also... no one is tweeting

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:11 am

brianmk24 wrote:Holy crap, I remember selling JNCOs when I worked at the mall in HS and college.

I'm so un-hip, I confused the game where you remove the little wooden blocks with jeans from the '90s.

I never owned a pair. I stopped wearing jeans entirely around 1994 or 1995.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm even more unhip then evidently. I never heard of these jeans. Then again this was in Southern California, not a whole lot of denim being worn. It was shorts like 75% of the time, no joke.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:03 pm

legitimategolf wrote:I'm even more unhip then evidently. I never heard of these jeans. Then again this was in Southern California, not a whole lot of denim being worn. It was shorts like 75% of the time, no joke.
The JNCO fad started in Los Angeles. If you were in high school between 1995 and 1998, you know what JNCO jeans were. When the whole grunge scene started dying out, pretty much every alternative sub-culture kind of took on the JNCO look as a symbol of their rebellious nature. I thought they looked ridiculous, personally. Especially the skateboarding crowd. I have never seen anything as ridiculous as a kid wearing JNCOs trying to grind a hand-rail.

However, I must admit that they had a useful purpose in that it made it extremely difficult for someone who was in authority to find your bag of weed if they were patting you down. Interestingly, back then, I immediately pigeon-holed everyone who wore JNCO jeans as a pot-smoker.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Wait...'I stopped wearing jeans entirely around 1994 or 1995??'

There has to be more to this.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Yeah, I never heard of these JNCO's either.
Bluto did it

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:11 pm

They were more for the hip hop/club crowd for the mid nineties. I may or may not have owned a pair.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 am

srogers13 wrote:They were more for the hip hop/club crowd for the mid nineties. I may or may not have owned a pair.
smh :o

went for a long time not wearing jeans but got a pair a few years ago of GREEN Wranglers which are bad ass

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I tried a pair on when I was working at the department store. I'm 6'3 and they still dragged halfway across the floor. And I could have put two more of me in there at the same time. Very strange pants.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:47 pm

jfurr wrote:
srogers13 wrote:They were more for the hip hop/club crowd for the mid nineties. I may or may not have owned a pair.

went for a long time not wearing jeans but got a pair a few years ago of GREEN Wranglers which are bad ass
I can't decide if you'd look better in a lighter or darker green.

Image Image

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:04 pm

jfurr wrote:

How long did you have the nickname Mr Green Jeans?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:20 pm

LOL

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:04 pm

jattruia wrote:Wait...'I stopped wearing jeans entirely around 1994 or 1995??'

Not really. I find jeans to be extremely uncomfortable.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:00 pm

bryan k wrote:

Oh but times have changed mon frere. Gone are the days when you had to beat your jeans with a stick, or back over them repeatedly in the driveway in order to break them in. Now they come pre-beaten. Fabrics are more comfortable too. I think when we were growing up we probably had the same kind of stiff jeans as the prospectors from the gold rush era. Does anybody remember Shrink-to-Fit? JHC, it only took like a century for jeans manufacturers to figure out "Hey, maybe we should pre-wash these things before we sell them."

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:35 am

legitimategolf wrote:
bryan k wrote:

Oh but times have changed mon frere. Gone are the days when you had to beat your jeans with a stick, or back over them repeatedly in the driveway in order to break them in. Now they come pre-beaten. Fabrics are more comfortable too. I think when we were growing up we probably had the same kind of stiff jeans as the prospectors from the gold rush era. Does anybody remember Shrink-to-Fit? JHC, it only took like a century for jeans manufacturers to figure out "Hey, maybe we should pre-wash these things before we sell them."
I disagree. I bought a pair of Tommy Hilfiger pants recently (Tommy Hilfiger makes the most comfortable clothing in the universe). They were pinstripe pants, and they were even made out of 100% cotton. That has comfort written all over it. They were cut in the style of a typical pair of jeans, and I can't stand them. As far as actual comfort goes, they are still Tommy Hilfiger. They are not the most comfortable pair of Tommy Hilfiger pants I own, and they are not the most comfortable pair of pants I own. But the pockets are all messed up. It's a pain in the ass trying to get anything out of my front pocket...like my wallet, phone, or keys. They are out of the question on the golf course.

jev

Post by jev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:29 am

bryan k wrote:It's a pain in the ass trying to get anything out of my front pocket...
The zipper needs to go on the front, you know that eh? :lol:
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:54 am

jev wrote:
bryan k wrote:It's a pain in the ass trying to get anything out of my front pocket...
The zipper needs to go on the front, you know that eh? :lol:
Not if the Daddy Mac makes ya.....

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:17 am

Going back to a smaller phone. Currently carrying a monstrous Nexus 6. Way too f-ing big. I hate not being able to operate it one-handed (medium sized hands (medium golf glove). Next phone is Nexus 5x, nice and nimble in the hand. Bigger is not always better.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:18 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Going back to a smaller phone. Currently carrying a monstrous Nexus 6. Way too f-ing big. I hate not being able to operate it one-handed (medium sized hands (medium golf glove). Next phone is Nexus 5x, nice and nimble in the hand. Bigger is not always better.
that's what she did not said

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:26 am

jfurr wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:Going back to a smaller phone. Currently carrying a monstrous Nexus 6. Way too f-ing big. I hate not being able to operate it one-handed (medium sized hands (medium golf glove). Next phone is Nexus 5x, nice and nimble in the hand. Bigger is not always better.
that's what she did not said
Right?
Bluto did it