Smartphone talk

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by MattF » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:21 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
jfurr wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:Going back to a smaller phone. Currently carrying a monstrous Nexus 6. Way too f-ing big. I hate not being able to operate it one-handed (medium sized hands (medium golf glove). Next phone is Nexus 5x, nice and nimble in the hand. Bigger is not always better.
that's what she did not said
Right?
It quality not quantity, but all us blokes with small ones say that!
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 am

Good timing bringing this back up.
I need to get the wife a new phone (may get one myself too). I love my Nexus tablet - the Nexus phones any good?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2909
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:05 am

I'm holding onto my current phone as long as I can. I'll pay the $60 to have a new battery installed (which is bullshit I can't just do it myself) to keep from buying another phone.

I hate the concept of being in a contract that charges you extra because they gave you a "deal" on the phone up front, I dont want to shell out $600 for a phone, and the lease deals are terrible financially. So my wife and I are going to pocket the extra money and keep our 2 year old phones for as long as we can.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 am

My wife & I have HTC Sensations... they're 4+ years old. I'm fine with mine but she wants a new one.
2 years in & wants a new one - I'd say buy a new case.
4 years - seems long enough.

These things cost quite a bit. That new Samsung S6+ Edge or whatever is pushing 8bills. $$$
I like Samsung. (t.v. & soundbar). I was looking at the older Note 4 too.

Anyone know a good tech website that has phone reviews?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:36 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Going back to a smaller phone. Currently carrying a monstrous Nexus 6. Way too f-ing big. I hate not being able to operate it one-handed (medium sized hands (medium golf glove). Next phone is Nexus 5x, nice and nimble in the hand. Bigger is not always better.
Ha ha. I thought the body adapts to a bigger phone. I wonder how many other people are also waking up and reconsidering. Of course bigger is not always better. For most of the life of the mobile phone they tried to get them smaller and smaller, and suddenly those fuckin manufacturers tried to convince everyone that bigger is better. To me that makes about as much sense as making a wallet so big that it barely fits in the pocket and claiming that it's now better. From what I see theres still a lot of people who aren't impressed by these suddenly big phones. The rest are just dutifully swallowing the OEM propaganda. Think about it. No consumer ever clamored for a bigger smartphone. It was all their idea.

I've actually been following the gay-ass "iphone rumors" scene because I'd heard there might be a new 4" iphone coming out. Looks like it's not though. Such gigantic gaping assholes. So I think for my next phone I'm going with the 5S even though its already ancient by now. I have such a weird relationship with Apple. I use their stuff, and I suppose I like it, but on a human level I have nothing but hate for them and probably wouldn't mind seeing the whole company go under. They are so obnoxious and hubristic, they deserve it. It's probably coming sooner or later.

Still using my 4s by the way. Still going strong. Structurally it is a great model, great size. It is on its second battery and both the rear and front glass have been replaced multiple times. I replaced the stupid pentalobe screws with philips and now that stupid phone is my bitch, not the other way around. I took it apart so many times I am practically a licensed iphone 4s tech.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2909
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:05 am

If you quit wearing skinny jeans a normal phone fits in your pocket.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by MattF » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Coda1850 wrote: the Nexus phones any good?
From everything that I've read, they're great. Pure Android and always receive the updates first and no bloat ware from the manufacturers, I'm looking at you Samsung.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:11 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:If you quit wearing skinny jeans a normal phone fits in your pocket.
A "normal" phone has a 4" screen or smaller. Now take off your shirt and fight me.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Image
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Coda1850 wrote:Good timing bringing this back up.
I need to get the wife a new phone (may get one myself too). I love my Nexus tablet - the Nexus phones any good?
I loved my Nexus 5. Favorite phone ever. Nexus 6, not so much. I also have a Nexus tablet (Nexus 7 (2013 - 2nd gen)) and it's a nice device.
Bluto did it

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:43 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:Going back to a smaller phone. Currently carrying a monstrous Nexus 6. Way too f-ing big. I hate not being able to operate it one-handed (medium sized hands (medium golf glove). Next phone is Nexus 5x, nice and nimble in the hand. Bigger is not always better.
Ha ha. I thought the body adapts to a bigger phone. I wonder how many other people are also waking up and reconsidering. Of course bigger is not always better. For most of the life of the mobile phone they tried to get them smaller and smaller, and suddenly those fuckin manufacturers tried to convince everyone that bigger is better. To me that makes about as much sense as making a wallet so big that it barely fits in the pocket and claiming that it's now better. From what I see theres still a lot of people who aren't impressed by these suddenly big phones. The rest are just dutifully swallowing the OEM propaganda. Think about it. No consumer ever clamored for a bigger smartphone. It was all their idea.

I've actually been following the gay-ass "iphone rumors" scene because I'd heard there might be a new 4" iphone coming out. Looks like it's not though. Such gigantic gaping assholes. So I think for my next phone I'm going with the 5S even though its already ancient by now. I have such a weird relationship with Apple. I use their stuff, and I suppose I like it, but on a human level I have nothing but hate for them and probably wouldn't mind seeing the whole company go under. They are so obnoxious and hubristic, they deserve it. It's probably coming sooner or later.

Still using my 4s by the way. Still going strong. Structurally it is a great model, great size. It is on its second battery and both the rear and front glass have been replaced multiple times. I replaced the stupid pentalobe screws with philips and now that stupid phone is my bitch, not the other way around. I took it apart so many times I am practically a licensed iphone 4s tech.
Yeah, I know. I've changed my tune. I've been able to manage it, but I really miss my smaller phone. The iPhone 6 (not the Plus) is the same physical size as my beloved Nexus 5, so for me, that would be the perfect size, but for you it seems to be too big. I think phones have hit the ceiling with size. And I was on the wrong side of it for the better part of a year. I like to switch my devices often (T-Mo's JUMP program allows 2 swaps per yr), so I thought I'd try the whale phone for a bit. Now, I'm going back.
Bluto did it

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:Yeah, I know. I've changed my tune. I've been able to manage it, but I really miss my smaller phone. The iPhone 6 (not the Plus) is the same physical size as my beloved Nexus 5, so for me, that would be the perfect size, but for you it seems to be too big. I think phones have hit the ceiling with size. And I was on the wrong side of it for the better part of a year. I like to switch my devices often (T-Mo's JUMP program allows 2 swaps per yr), so I thought I'd try the whale phone for a bit. Now, I'm going back.
Question: why not just use the 5, if that's your favorite phone of all time? This dilemma encapsulates so much of what's wrong with modern life. You love a certain phone, it fulfills your needs. But you can't keep using it, you have to update to a newer model that doesn't necessarily serve you any better, and even has new features that are cumbersome and pointless. Why? Progress.

In the future people are going fetishize vintage phones like they do with cars and musical instruments now. Cool phone man, what year is it? A 2009? Whoa, that's from the Jobs-era! Nice find!
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:38 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Good timing bringing this back up.
I need to get the wife a new phone (may get one myself too). I love my Nexus tablet - the Nexus phones any good?
I loved my Nexus 5. Favorite phone ever. Nexus 6, not so much. I also have a Nexus tablet (Nexus 7 (2013 - 2nd gen)) and it's a nice device.
That's what I have the Nexus 7 (2013 - 2nd gen). I had the Nexus 7 2012 version. Long story short. I dropped it, shattered the screen, & upgraded to the 2013 version.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:08 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:Yeah, I know. I've changed my tune. I've been able to manage it, but I really miss my smaller phone. The iPhone 6 (not the Plus) is the same physical size as my beloved Nexus 5, so for me, that would be the perfect size, but for you it seems to be too big. I think phones have hit the ceiling with size. And I was on the wrong side of it for the better part of a year. I like to switch my devices often (T-Mo's JUMP program allows 2 swaps per yr), so I thought I'd try the whale phone for a bit. Now, I'm going back.
Question: why not just use the 5, if that's your favorite phone of all time? This dilemma encapsulates so much of what's wrong with modern life. You love a certain phone, it fulfills your needs. But you can't keep using it, you have to update to a newer model that doesn't necessarily serve you any better, and even has new features that are cumbersome and pointless. Why? Progress.

In the future people are going fetishize vintage phones like they do with cars and musical instruments now. Cool phone man, what year is it? A 2009? Whoa, that's from the Jobs-era! Nice find!
Guilty as charged. I've seen the error of my ways.

That was a solid shaming, btw. :clap:
Bluto did it

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:04 am

My wife wants the Nexus 6P, coming out this month. Based on what's out there for reviews the Note 4 seems to stand out vs. the rest. LG G4 got some love, & the S5 was solid. She just likes that it's not as mainstream (the 6P) as all the other phones & likes the look.

There's a OnePlus 1 out there & a OnePlus 2 coming out but you need an invite to buy it. Haa, go fuck yourself. That's what I say to that. An invite? I would entertain getting one but I'm not playing their stupid games. They're suppose to be asking me to buy it. I'm sure as shit not asking them to buy their phone.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:22 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:Yeah, I know. I've changed my tune. I've been able to manage it, but I really miss my smaller phone. The iPhone 6 (not the Plus) is the same physical size as my beloved Nexus 5, so for me, that would be the perfect size, but for you it seems to be too big. I think phones have hit the ceiling with size. And I was on the wrong side of it for the better part of a year. I like to switch my devices often (T-Mo's JUMP program allows 2 swaps per yr), so I thought I'd try the whale phone for a bit. Now, I'm going back.
Question: why not just use the 5, if that's your favorite phone of all time? This dilemma encapsulates so much of what's wrong with modern life. You love a certain phone, it fulfills your needs. But you can't keep using it, you have to update to a newer model that doesn't necessarily serve you any better, and even has new features that are cumbersome and pointless. Why? Progress.

In the future people are going fetishize vintage phones like they do with cars and musical instruments now. Cool phone man, what year is it? A 2009? Whoa, that's from the Jobs-era! Nice find!
Guilty as charged. I've seen the error of my ways.

That was a solid shaming, btw. :clap:
Not meaning to shame you the end user but rather lamenting the concept of "progress" as relates to smartphones.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Coda1850 wrote:My wife wants the Nexus 6P, coming out this month. Based on what's out there for reviews the Note 4 seems to stand out vs. the rest. LG G4 got some love, & the S5 was solid. She just likes that it's not as mainstream (the 6P) as all the other phones & likes the look.

There's a OnePlus 1 out there & a OnePlus 2 coming out but you need an invite to buy it. Haa, go fuck yourself. That's what I say to that. An invite? I would entertain getting one but I'm not playing their stupid games. They're suppose to be asking me to buy it. I'm sure as shit not asking them to buy their phone.
I like the Nexus devices, and will likely continue to get them. I'm just worried about the size on the 6p, coming off the 6. After handling a few at the store, I realize that the width of the phone (not just height), is a big factor in the ability to one-hand the phone.
Bluto did it

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Not meaning to shame you the end user but rather lamenting the concept of "progress" as relates to smartphones.
I know. I'm just messing. Smartphones are something that have a very rapid rate of hardware evolution. Typically, as a consumer, I tend to adopt slowly (until last week, was still driving the same beater I bought at the end of college), but smartphones are a relatively small item and I have a grandfathered 'lease' plan through my carrier, so I indulge in swapping phones out fairly quickly.

Overall, you're dead on in that we need to move away from the planned obsolescence model. My family and I just kind of overhauled our entire lifestyle in the past few months.... sold our big house with the big yard, downsizing to a smaller place that consumes less resources, got rid of 1/2 the junk that we'd accumulated over the past 10 yrs and are working out a 'one in, one out' model when it comes to our purchases. It's amazing how much the American consumer is tied down by 'stuff'. Still, it's nice to have a couple of vices here and there, and the smartphone thing currently happens to be one of mine.
Bluto did it

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 pm

I liked this guys YT page. Here's one of his videos on the Nexus 5x & 6P.

Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2909
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote: It's amazing how much the American consumer is tied down by 'stuff'.
I couldn't agree more.

I'm know I'm more consumed with stuff than I should be, but compared to what I see from others I look like I'm Amish.

For example my wife's sister is always buying shit. She has 45k miles on her car and is thinking about trading it in before it gets to 50k. I have 125k miles on my truck and plan/hope to get to 250k before I start looking for something new. I really want to be able to say "I have a quarter million miles on it".
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2909
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:14 pm

I guess I shouldn't criticize people for being over consumers. Maybe they just have different goals in life than me.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:08 pm

I stopped using any kind of protective cover. Couple weeks ago I was trying to video my swing, a gust of wind knocked it onto the concrete. CRUNCH! So I just replace the glass. Not that hard. There's a great site called iFixit that has detailed instructions for most repairs.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2909
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:10 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:I stopped using any kind of protective cover. Couple weeks ago I was trying to video my swing, a gust of wind knocked it onto the concrete. CRUNCH! So I just replace the glass. Not that hard. There's a great site called iFixit that has detailed instructions for most repairs.
Do you get good video with your phone? Mine when slowed down frame by frame gives me maybe 3 or 4 frames from transition to impact (or near impact). So I've been planning on using the camera I got my wife, which I think will be much better.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am

legitimatebeef wrote:I stopped using any kind of protective cover. Couple weeks ago I was trying to video my swing, a gust of wind knocked it onto the concrete. CRUNCH! So I just replace the glass. Not that hard. There's a great site called iFixit that has detailed instructions for most repairs.
Do you buy parts from that site too?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:46 am

Coda1850 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:I stopped using any kind of protective cover. Couple weeks ago I was trying to video my swing, a gust of wind knocked it onto the concrete. CRUNCH! So I just replace the glass. Not that hard. There's a great site called iFixit that has detailed instructions for most repairs.
Do you buy parts from that site too?
I don't, since we have a lot of shady bootleg import shops here around midtown, that sell phones and electronics and watches and perfume and god knows what else. Besides that there are a ton of vendors on ebay that sell parts.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests