Smartphone talk

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:50 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:I stopped using any kind of protective cover. Couple weeks ago I was trying to video my swing, a gust of wind knocked it onto the concrete. CRUNCH! So I just replace the glass. Not that hard. There's a great site called iFixit that has detailed instructions for most repairs.
Do you get good video with your phone? Mine when slowed down frame by frame gives me maybe 3 or 4 frames from transition to impact (or near impact). So I've been planning on using the camera I got my wife, which I think will be much better.
No I don't have the high speed capture. I just like to get a general picture of where I am at impact, if I'm humping or not.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:51 pm

This still being under the Smartphone Talk umbrella - I'm gonna pre-order the Nexus 6P for the wife. This comes with $50 in google store credit. Question is - what the hell do I spend this on? Anything good to buy @ the google store???
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Coda1850 wrote:This still being under the Smartphone Talk umbrella - I'm gonna pre-order the Nexus 6P for the wife. This comes with $50 in google store credit. Question is - what the hell do I spend this on? Anything good to buy @ the google store???
You can get a Chromecast, if you don't already have a Smart TV or streaming device for $35. Or you can use the credits to rent movies.
Bluto did it

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:This still being under the Smartphone Talk umbrella - I'm gonna pre-order the Nexus 6P for the wife. This comes with $50 in google store credit. Question is - what the hell do I spend this on? Anything good to buy @ the google store???
You can get a Chromecast, if you don't already have a Smart TV or streaming device for $35. Or you can use the credits to rent movies.
I think I mis-spoke or mis-typed. It's google play credit. As I understand it, it has to be spent in the google play store but can't be spent in the google store. Two different "stores".
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by MattF » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:18 am

You can rent new release movies with Google Play.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Coda1850 wrote:
I think I mis-spoke or mis-typed. It's google play credit. As I understand it, it has to be spent in the google play store but can't be spent in the google store. Two different "stores".
That's new. You used to be able to. F'ing google.
Bluto did it

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:
I think I mis-spoke or mis-typed. It's google play credit. As I understand it, it has to be spent in the google play store but can't be spent in the google store. Two different "stores".
That's new. You used to be able to. F'ing google.
That's how I read it. I would have used it for a car charger or phone cover or something phone related - but guess I can't.

*Good for one $50 credit toward your Google Play™ balance with the purchase of a Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X purchased on the Google Store in the US from September 29, 2015 to October 25, 2015. A promo code will be emailed after the device ships. Google Play credit is not reloadable and has no cash value. Google Play credit must be added to a Google Wallet account by December 31, 2015. Once added, credit must be used on Google Play by October 25, 2016. Google Play credit cannot be used on the Google Store. Some subscriptions excluded. Must be 13+ years old and have existing or activate new Google Wallet account. Promotional offer available while Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X supplies last, no rain checks. See Promotional Balance Terms for more information. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by Coda1850 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Bought my wife the Nexus 6P tonight. Think it'll take 3 or 4 weeks to get here tho.
You know what they say... Good things come, to those that buy them.

[note: this post was moved from 'Random Thoughts'. Jfish, this is how you mod! If I'm being hard on you it's because we need you. Jfurr is too busy strumming guitars and pushing faders and whatnot. -the Boss]
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:01 pm

My wife's Nexus 6P came Friday. Based on use since then:
The phone has a nice, big display (5.7"). The display looks great. Sound is good (dual front facing speakers). Battery life has been excellent. Same with the camera. USB type C fast charging is fast, fast, fast! Using the phone for everything is quick as shit. Feels great with an aluminum body, premo-build mumbo jumbo.

It's basically a massive upgrade from her ancient 2011 HTC Sensation smartphone. Which is kinda an obvious statement but, eh - whatever.

This being much, much less expensive than any of the Samsung S6+, S6 Edge+, Note 5, & the Iphone... glad we went this way. Hell, all the same price I'd go with this one (fanboy speak, I know... but turns out I like google & stock android).
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by MattF » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Coda, my biggest issue with the Nexus phones is not being able to put in extra memory.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:33 pm

MattF wrote:Coda, my biggest issue with the Nexus phones is not being able to put in extra memory.
That's not a problem unique to Nexus tho. Unfortunately, everyone is going that way.
All the phones I listed: No access to the battery or expanding the memory. Sealed in with alum. bodies.

If you want access you have to go back in time & get an S5 or a Note4.
IPhone, haa - Don't get me started.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jattruia » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:27 pm

I just upgraded to a new iPhone 6s Plus (from a 6). It's pretty slick. So far so good.

User avatar
jev
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 am
Location: North-East Quadrant, planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jev » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Coda1850 wrote:
MattF wrote:Coda, my biggest issue with the Nexus phones is not being able to put in extra memory.
That's not a problem unique to Nexus tho. Unfortunately, everyone is going that way.
All the phones I listed: No access to the battery or expanding the memory. Sealed in with alum. bodies.
Motorola's still feature SD-cardslots. Personally, I'm still torn between a Moto X Style and the smaller Moto X Play.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Coda1850 wrote:My wife's Nexus 6P came Friday. Based on use since then:
The phone has a nice, big display (5.7"). The display looks great. Sound is good (dual front facing speakers). Battery life has been excellent. Same with the camera. USB type C fast charging is fast, fast, fast! Using the phone for everything is quick as shit. Feels great with an aluminum body, premo-build mumbo jumbo.

It's basically a massive upgrade from her ancient 2011 HTC Sensation smartphone. Which is kinda an obvious statement but, eh - whatever.

This being much, much less expensive than any of the Samsung S6+, S6 Edge+, Note 5, & the Iphone... glad we went this way. Hell, all the same price I'd go with this one (fanboy speak, I know... but turns out I like google & stock android).
Glad you like it. I was looking at the Nexus 5x and totally overlooked that it's not available through carriers (only Google play store). Anyway, with my current 'lease' plan, I'll probably go with Galaxy S6 on a Black Friday deal through T-mo and install a custom ROM. I hate all the garbage that the phone manufacturers and carriers put in the phone, although that appears to be going away as well.
Bluto did it

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by MattF » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:10 am

jev wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:
MattF wrote:Coda, my biggest issue with the Nexus phones is not being able to put in extra memory.
That's not a problem unique to Nexus tho. Unfortunately, everyone is going that way.
All the phones I listed: No access to the battery or expanding the memory. Sealed in with alum. bodies.
Motorola's still feature SD-cardslots. Personally, I'm still torn between a Moto X Style and the smaller Moto X Play.
That's why I wasn't keen on the Galaxy S6. But, I think I'll look at the Nexus 6 anyway because it doesn't come loaded with all the crap like Duke mentioned.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:57 pm

I liked my wife's Nexus 6P so much, I got one for myself. Fyi -both Nexus phones are $50 off until the end of December.

For anyone that likes skins... DBrand.com. Wife likes hers. Mine is in the mail.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:27 pm

The iphone 4s finally gave out. I bought an unlocked 5s on ebay. Until it gets here I had the phone company reactivate an old one we had lying around--a 3gs!!! Using a phone that old is far out and radical. Punk rock motherfuckers.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

User avatar
jev
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 am
Location: North-East Quadrant, planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jev » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:35 pm

jev wrote:Motorola's still feature SD-cardslots. Personally, I'm still torn between a Moto X Style and the smaller Moto X Play.
Bad form to quote oneself, I know. But... in the end I got the Moto X Style ("X Pure" in the US) and a Moto 360 whilst at it. The phone is great, the watch not so much.

I bought the watch with the idea to replace my Garmin S4 with. Especially for the holidays, I wanted to bring just one watch while traveling. Tried "hole 19" but that didn't work correctly: some distances but no way to get it to change from hole 1 to the next. "Golfshot Pro", distances to the pin only (don't want to pay monthly fees until I know it works!) - crashed several times. Swing by Swing didn't work at all. No, this is not ready for primetime if you ask me...

Back to the Moto X Pure. Almost 100% pure Android (just a couple of extra apps, no extra UI or anything) and it got Marshmallow before my wife received it on her Nexus 5. Battery suffices, screen looks nice, everything just works.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 pm

jev wrote:
jev wrote:Motorola's still feature SD-cardslots. Personally, I'm still torn between a Moto X Style and the smaller Moto X Play.
Bad form to quote oneself, I know. But... in the end I got the Moto X Style ("X Pure" in the US) and a Moto 360 whilst at it. The phone is great, the watch not so much.

I bought the watch with the idea to replace my Garmin S4 with. Especially for the holidays, I wanted to bring just one watch while traveling. Tried "hole 19" but that didn't work correctly: some distances but no way to get it to change from hole 1 to the next. "Golfshot Pro", distances to the pin only (don't want to pay monthly fees until I know it works!) - crashed several times. Swing by Swing didn't work at all. No, this is not ready for primetime if you ask me...

Back to the Moto X Pure. Almost 100% pure Android (just a couple of extra apps, no extra UI or anything) and it got Marshmallow before my wife received it on her Nexus 5. Battery suffices, screen looks nice, everything just works.
Jev - you should try Golfpad GPS. They've had Android Wear integration for quite a while now. I don't have a smartwatch so I don't know firsthand, but I have a friend that wore a Pebble for a while and it worked fine. It's $10/yr for the premium service that includes smartwatch integration, but if it doesn't work out, I'm guessing that they would refund your money.
Bluto did it

User avatar
jev
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 am
Location: North-East Quadrant, planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jev » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:11 am

Will have a look, can't do wrong for just $10/year. They'll at least have to map my homecourse since they only have 9 out of the 27 holes. Any experience with how they go with that?
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by MattF » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20 am

I've had them change a course before because of mistakes and it took a week or two but they get it done.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2759
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:15 am

I know a lot of you want sim cards for your phone. The droid turbo 2 has ability to add a 2 terra bite sim card.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I know a lot of you want sim cards for your phone. The droid turbo 2 has ability to add a 2 terra bite sim card.
You mean SD card?... for expandable memory
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2759
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:51 am

Coda1850 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:I know a lot of you want sim cards for your phone. The droid turbo 2 has ability to add a 2 terra bite sim card.
You mean SD card?... for expandable memory
Yeah thats it.

I'm terrible with tech stuff (unless it is MS Excel upgrades).
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Smartphone talk

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:33 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:I know a lot of you want sim cards for your phone. The droid turbo 2 has ability to add a 2 terra bite sim card.
You mean SD card?... for expandable memory
Yeah thats it.

I'm terrible with tech stuff (unless it is MS Excel upgrades).
I was just thinking... if you can access your sd card - can't you upgrade it to whatever size they make sd cards?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests