Advice on gut reduction

jfurr

Advice on gut reduction

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Suggestions on the topic of loosing a few inches and 5-10 pounds in the gut area. Damn, things have changed in the last few post-40 years. :(

I'm not a fitness guy at all so I'd like some advice as a noob. Are sit ups still a recommended excercize? They have always killed my back. Indoor cycling? I need to start doing something now.

I've quit drinking colas, sweet tea, cut out sweets, big portions, etc but I need to do some work to burn it off.

Considering a gym thing since my house is full of distractions. But no I don't even lift so I'm clueless about of that is a good idea or not. I don't want to waste money.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Advice on gut reduction

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Swimming is the best exercise if you have access. It uses muscles your body isn't use to using and its low impact.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Walking is good too. Get yourself a dog, and the simple 2-3 miles daily walk with your best friend will also slowly melt the pounds away and then you'll want to walk while playing golf too. It's a twofer!! :thumbup:

I did this a few years back and slowly dropped about 40 pounds, most of which has slowly come back after the dog became too old to walk that much...
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Yeah, probably don't want to do situps. Promotes back strain I think. Also trying to spot reduce fat is an exercise in futility, it is said.

Don't underestimate the fat burn effect of weightlifting. You would not know from looking but I am into the weights. Beside running it is my preferred workout. If you ask me everyone should lift something, regardless of fitness goals. Not just for muscle building, its good for bone strength, can also be good for cardio.

I would recommend hi-intensity intervals training, which is a fancy name for sprints, but I'm not so sure about it. I don't notice any weight loss or fat burn when I do it and I suspect it has something to do with getting so hungry afterwards and cleaning out the fridge. Think its improved my "VO2 max" though. Whatever that is.

Good that you are cutting out the simple carbs. I am kind of a nutjob so take this with a grain of salt, but I would recommend not skimping on stuff with protein and good fats. By which I mean eggs, avocados, anything coconut-based (esp. like virgin coconut oil, I am on that bandwagon), butter, whole milk, hell even bacon fat, stuff like that. I guess I am getting swept up in that "paleo" trend, which like any trend can come as annoying, but it seems to be a basic, uncomplicated outlook on nutrition. Whatever you do don't try to keep yourself on a low-fat diet.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks guys. There is a gym clioseby that specializes in a indoor rock climbing wall that looks intersting. Plus they have weights, cardio stuff, group classes, yoga etc. and it is cheaper than I was expecting. I'm gonna check it out.

I'm trying to reduce carbs but stocking up on protien. Problem is I love pasta and pizza and stuff. I'm hoping to only change my diet a little but change my exercising a lot. I used to walk and carry all the time when I was golfing more solo but since I'm not a member anywhere I'm playing less and my friends prefer to ride. Need to find a new home golf course.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 pm

The biggest recommendation I can make is to cut back on all carbs.

The USDA recommends like a ton of carbs every day. To the typical, sedentary American, that is way to much.

I try to limit myself to between 60-80 grams of total carbs (minus dietary fiber) per day. That's like one sandwich's worth of bread. or a plate and a half of spaghetti. I typically try to eat a bit more the night before a round of golf, and I think it is wise to adjust this daily carb intake to how much exercise you are actually getting.

My typical exercise per week typically consists of two rounds of golf and one or two trips (an hour each) to the driving range unless I'm traveling. Since I've limited my carb intake to 60-80 grams per day last November, I've dropped about 20 pounds. I'd like to drop 20 more. Of course, I picked up golf again during that time, but my experiments with carb intake have always netted positive results even if I didn't change my exercise habits in the past.

My dinner tonight consisted of cubed pork with broccoli and cauliflower chunks in a yellow curry sauce. Delicious. And no carbs. That's my typical dinner....meat, veggies, sauce. I fall off the wagon a bit when I travel, but I've found that since I've limited my carb intake, not only is my appetite less, but I find that I feel horrible if I overeat.

I've done a lot of research on carb intake, especially that from grain products. I won't share it all with you, but I think that all Americans would be much healthier if they cut all grains (especially corn) out of their diets completely.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

jfurr wrote:
I'm trying to reduce carbs but stocking up on protien. Problem is I love pasta and pizza and stuff. I'm hoping to only change my diet a little but change my exercising a lot. I used to walk and carry all the time when I was golfing more solo but since I'm not a member anywhere I'm playing less and my friends prefer to ride. Need to find a new home golf course.
Thought I'd highlight this last part. I used to exclusively walk. Problem is, here in Phoenix, walking is just not common. Most good golfing deals here come with a cart. And in the summer, there isn't much of a choice. When it's 110 degrees outside, I ride for sheer safety sake.

jev

Post by jev » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:17 pm

I got myself one of those crosstrainers. Since the wife has to leave at 6 in the morning, I have more than enough time for some excersise before work. Put on some music, just 15 or 20 minutes a day at a target heartrate of 120. Weather permitting, I will than walk to the office (which is pretty close by - just a mile and a half or so).

Tried swimming, but the whole routine soon became too much of a hassle (plus, I have a history of competitive swimming which somehow makes it impossible to swim at anything but full speed - not a good thing for trying to loose weight).

So far, I've lost four pounds in a month. Slow, but steady!
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:24 pm

P90x did the trick for me. 90 day program. Every day. I've always been a workout guy. A couple years back I blew my back out weight training. Gained 15 lbs over the next several months sitting on my ass and feeding my face. Ballooned to 208 lbs. Started first round in Oct 2012. Didn't change my diet much and lost 10 lbs over 90 days. Got serious the next 90 and dropped 25 more. Took a month off and went thru it again. Hell I even did the Insanity workout. Currently at 170 lbs. High school weight. Helped my golf game too. Just finished 8th week of three month program called Body Beast. Tough.

It's all about diet with training. Proper proteins, carbs and good fats produce results. If it was easy everyone would do it. How bad do you WANT it.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:37 pm

The only thing that ever motivated me was a weight loss bet with my dad. Loser bought winner a new driver (up to $500)

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Exercise is like two four-lettered words, only twice as bad.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Went to the gym tonite after work. Felt like I was walking into a strange foreign land. Did this group class thing called "Rebounding" which is some trendy thing I suppose which is like aerobic on a little trampoline. Looks kinda goofy but it is really challenging. You gotta bounce/jump in sync to this rhythm going about 130 BPM and do moves, kicks, jumping jacks etc, then some of it with hand weights, etc. Some box stepping, stretching, yoga, hand weight lifting. Fast paces. I'm going back. Bought a punch card for 10 times which includes classes plus use of all the machines, weights, climbing wall (err maybe one day), etc. And tonite was free. $49 for the card. Not bad. Did treadmill machine walking for a while after. I feel a bit clueless in there, but I'm going to try to as much as I can the next couple weeks. I like that I know no-one in there, though, and I'm not temped to be distracted like if at home.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:42 am

http://exrx.net

This site's been around for a long time. Impressive for a free, mostly non-commercial site. Seems like some sort of public service. Anyway it's got a compendium of weight exercises (among lots of other things that I haven't checked out), with animated gifs to illustrate the movements. You can use the body map thing and just pick an area of the body, and it'll show you all the associated exercises. Also has good info on developing a weightlifting schedule for yourself. A basic concept is that you want to alternate muscle groups. Simplest way to think of exercises as either push or pull--push meaning like bench press, shoulder press, squats; pulls are like pull-ups, rowing, deadlifts etc.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Thanks for the link, lord of good info there. That's what I needed.

A few hours again this morning trying various workout machines, rowing, and several miles on treadmill alternating power walking and jogging. Legs feel like rubber now.

Ran into a dude I know, he's into the climbing wall and offered to show me how that's done one day. Looks pretty interesting. Seems to be really popular.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Beer does a gut good.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm

srogers13 wrote:Beer does a gut good.
I'll drink to that!

wait... :shifty:

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:52 pm

think i need to plan a trip to SC soon, got rid of the green POS.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:54 am

jfurr wrote:
srogers13 wrote:Beer does a gut good.
I'll drink to that!

wait... :shifty:
+1..I'm gonna come back here when both of my legs are good because I'm sure that I'll need some gut reduction at that point.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:54 pm

How's the gut reduction goinng?

I just added a new exercise. I've been going hard at the leg stuff, and now I'm doing box jumps to improve explosiveness. :x
BoxJump.gif
BoxJump.gif (73.17 KiB) Viewed 4027 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:48 am

Dang, looks tough. I lost my momentum with this, too much going on. Will get back on it soon.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:11 am

legitimategolf wrote:How's the gut reduction goinng?

I just added a new exercise. I've been going hard at the leg stuff, and now I'm doing box jumps to improve explosiveness. :x
BoxJump.gif
I'm afraid if I did this exercise, I would fall through the floor into my neighbor's living room.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:55 am

No posts since March. Hopefully everyone's gut reduction regimens are going well. I did some interval sprints last weekend, fucked me up pretty good (in a constructive way) for the next three days. This is from about 15 minutes of activity by the way.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:45 pm

So what would you all recommend for someone who hasn't gone to a gym for 10+ years to avoid feeling like a moron the next time they go?

I plan to join the Y in November/December and start splitting my mornings between the gym and driving range. I didn't want to start it during golfing season, because I didn't want to be sore (and procrastinating is a good sign I'll keep it up).

But to answer beefs question, gut reduction is going well. I've lost 20-25 lb since April by changing my diet, chasing a toddler, and moving furniture twice.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:14 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:So what would you all recommend for someone who hasn't gone to a gym for 10+ years to avoid feeling like a moron the next time they go?
Recommend sucking it up and choosing to not give an F. I'm a regular gym dude and could hardly care less about any newbies. People are so self-conscious but the reality is as long as you're not an inconsiderate dick who hogs equipment or leaves their belongings everywhere, or stinks, nobody gives an genuine F about whatever it is you are doing. (Someone should open up a pre-gym though, where you can go to get in good enough shape to hit the regular gym.)
I plan to join the Y in November/December and start splitting my mornings between the gym and driving range. I didn't want to start it during golfing season, because I didn't want to be sore (and procrastinating is a good sign I'll keep it up).
No, you do want to be sore. How else will you know whether you are on the path to awesomeness.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:45 pm

I just meant I dont want to be sore during golf season. Not that I dont want to be sore.

I figure it will take me a couple months to get use to it so that I'm not sore, stiff, and unable to swing a club. Which should be right in time for spring.