Advice on gut reduction

bryan k

Re: Advice on gut reduction

Post by bryan k » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:44 am

I've been walking more. The bulk of my travel schedule is behind me. It's hard to eat healthy when I'm not paying for any of it.

I've walked most of my recent golf rounds, and I'm taking the stairs (five floors) at work. When I play abbreviated rounds, I even carry my clubs. During the week, I make it a point to walk around my apartment complex after work if I can't hit the links.

I think I get more exercise than most people. It's just that I love to eat so damn much.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:32 pm

What's the opposite of reduction? I need to add some weight. I stepped on a scale yesterday and did not like the reading. Below 160 freakin lbs. I wear a size 32 but I could do 30 if I wanted to. What has happened? I eat ice cream almost every night and generally eat without consideration. I think there's a few factors. Haven't been eating cereal or really snacking much for whatever reason. Snacking is an addiction like that. The more you indulge the deeper you get into its grip. But as you curb it, the cravings dissipate. Also I've been pretty enthusiastic about weekly leg day at the gym. Basically just doing squats, deadlifts and lunges. The deadlifting in particular taxes a lot of muscles and burns much calories.

Lastly I've been trying to get the dog in shape. I walk him everyday like a good master, but it gets tedious walking around everywhere, and that's not even really exercise, so my cop out over the last month or so has been to take the stairs back up to our tenth floor apartment. Tough for a city dog to get a good workout, so I like the stairs because it's low impact and a fair amount of work for him. It's mostly a mental exercise as he is already fit, he just has a tendency to act lazy at home--when we take him hiking, he can climb steep hills all day long. Anyways doing the stairs a few times a week has probably improved my own fitness.

I am not really comfortable at this weight, so I am looking to bulk up a little. I'm kind of an exercise addict so I'm not gonna cut back on that. Don't want to bulk up on starchy food. So what do I do? More double bacon cheeseburgers maybe? Like I said I'm already having ice cream all the time, maybe I should have two scoops at a time.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:53 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:What's the opposite of reduction? I need to add some weight. I stepped on a scale yesterday and did not like the reading. Below 160 freakin lbs. I wear a size 32 but I could do 30 if I wanted to. What has happened? I eat ice cream almost every night and generally eat without consideration. I think there's a few factors. Haven't been eating cereal or really snacking much for whatever reason. Snacking is an addiction like that. The more you indulge the deeper you get into its grip. But as you curb it, the cravings dissipate. Also I've been pretty enthusiastic about weekly leg day at the gym. Basically just doing squats, deadlifts and lunges. The deadlifting in particular taxes a lot of muscles and burns much calories.

Lastly I've been trying to get the dog in shape. I walk him everyday like a good master, but it gets tedious walking around everywhere, and that's not even really exercise, so my cop out over the last month or so has been to take the stairs back up to our tenth floor apartment. Tough for a city dog to get a good workout, so I like the stairs because it's low impact and a fair amount of work for him. It's mostly a mental exercise as he is already fit, he just has a tendency to act lazy at home--when we take him hiking, he can climb steep hills all day long. Anyways doing the stairs a few times a week has probably improved my own fitness.

I am not really comfortable at this weight, so I am looking to bulk up a little. I'm kind of an exercise addict so I'm not gonna cut back on that. Don't want to bulk up on starchy food. So what do I do? More double bacon cheeseburgers maybe? Like I said I'm already having ice cream all the time, maybe I should have two scoops at a time.
Beer
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Beer is considered starchy, I think. It's all fun and games for me to say I want to bulk up my gut, but I don't think I can actually go that route. I am probably too health conscious not to mention vain. I should just go to GNC and get me a big ass tub of whey powder or creatine or whatever the bros do.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:02 pm

steroids + no gym = fat

Go that route.
Keep it short stupid.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Watch more Netflix. Keep to the couch & fridge. Only answer the door for pizza/chinese delivery.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Can't do any of this stuff! I am living with an exercise addiction. If I abstain for too long I will just start spontaneously exercising. Involuntary response. That's why it's a dilemma. I think the only viable solution is to get really high at night and add a fourth meal sometime around bedtime.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:25 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Can't do any of this stuff! I am living with an exercise addiction. If I abstain for too long I will just start spontaneously exercising. Involuntary response. That's why it's a dilemma. I think the only viable solution is to get really high at night and add a fourth meal sometime around bedtime.
Man I haven't gone to taco bell, spent $20 and wondered where all the food went since college.
Keep it short stupid.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Poop less.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:20 am

Bigger weights at the gym and more protein...your farts will stink but you'll gain muscle.
Throw me another ball will ya!

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:28 am

My trouble with exercise is that it's all so BORING and DULL!
https://youtu.be/XMOmB1q8W4Y?t=71
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Alright you pansy ass motherfuckers listen up. If you want to get on the path to awesomeness, and you do, do deadlifts. First of all it is a great whole body exercise. It utilizes your strongest muscles. It's a natural motion that will improve your aptitude with ordinary everyday lifting chores. Secondly it is so simple, just load up a fucking bar with some weights and pick it up off the goddamn floor. There is a beauty to this simplicity though, because form is utmost importance here. So it is a mind/body challenge at the same time. Thirdly it just feels good to pick a huge ass weight up off the floor. Awaken the savage testosterone beast within. Goddamn it DO IT.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Exercise is like two four-lettered words, only twice as bad.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:10 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Alright you pansy ass motherfuckers listen up. If you want to get on the path to awesomeness, and you do, do deadlifts. First of all it is a great whole body exercise. It utilizes your strongest muscles. It's a natural motion that will improve your aptitude with ordinary everyday lifting chores. Secondly it is so simple, just load up a fucking bar with some weights and pick it up off the goddamn floor. There is a beauty to this simplicity though, because form is utmost importance here. So it is a mind/body challenge at the same time. Thirdly it just feels good to pick a huge ass weight up off the floor. Awaken the savage testosterone beast within. Goddamn it DO IT.
only thing about this which worries me is the possibility for injuring my back. Picking up a big ol bar from the floor, I'm sure I would do it incorrectly and sprain something.

Also,FWIW I've slimmed down about 10 pounds since started this thread. Down a belt loop basically. All I have done is quit drinking canned sugary soft drinks and stopped having extras at dinner. I'd like to do more, and think with more of plan for exercise and stuff might be able to get some tone. that would be sweet. Really just a lifestyle change to not be lazy. Hard.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:43 am

jfurr wrote:only thing about this which worries me is the possibility for injuring my back. Picking up a big ol bar from the floor, I'm sure I would do it incorrectly and sprain something.
BULLCRAP, The point of lifts like this is to make you back stronger. The testosterone rage is just a pleasant side effect. So don't think of it as a potential injury, think of it as the opposite. Sure, if you try to pick up too much weight, without having practiced the move, sure you can fuck yourself up. But that's the beauty of weightlifting--you alone decide how much goes on the bar. And you increase the load very gradually. Listen I am a weak ass motherfucker compared to most of the retards at the gym. I can't quite even lift, squat or press my own pathetic bodyweight. I don't give a fuck, I can't. I can't let that stop me from getting my pump on. Believe me I have anticipated the day that some jerkoff is going to get in my face and harass me because I'm lifting tiny weights but you know what, it has never happened once.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Is the correct technique for lifting heavy items to use a lever or pully? Because that is normally my initial reaction when faced with something heavy I need to move.
Keep it short stupid.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:24 pm

It won't happen beef. The guys in the gym don't care what you lift. They are thinking about their reps and their lifts.
Tee it up!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:16 pm

Stood on the scale yesterday. 15lbs since start of this thread. I'd like to come down a little more then tone up with muscle. Going to start using the weights and equipment at work. I'm just so lazy

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm down 30 lbs since the end of April. Although that is a misleading figure because I gained 12 lbs in April due to moving, and eating out all of the time.

I have about 5-7 more lbs to go before I get to what I want.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:22 pm

Officially trying to put on weight. Officially annoyed now. I am already lanky enough as it is. Now I am probably starting to resemble a spider and not the cool, scary, venomous kind, but the annoying, gossamer kind that you smush with a tissue and flush down the toilet. I am so light I need to strap kettlebells around my neck in order to make pull-ups challenging.

I ate one of them big "Chipotle" bowls for lunch yesterday. That's like 800 calories or something. It's a start.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Mr. Legit, what is the impetus for gaining weight? A better golf game? Have a look at Justin Thomas, one of the skinniest guys on the Tour (maybe 145 lbs) and one of the longest. To look more scary on the streets of New York? Maybe, I'll give you that one, but otherwise you are probably much healthier and will likely live longer for not carrying all that weight on you every day: your joints will thank you down the road. I would trade with you in a heartbeat, btw. Anyway, good luck!
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Is it possible some of the things you are doing to gain weight are causing you to loose it?

Example Clint Trickett (QB for FSU then WVU) was trying to gain weight. He was put on a high gluten diet by team nutritionists, but kept loosing weight. It was discovered he was allergic to gluten which was causing those calories to just be wasted, instead of helping him gain weight.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:57 pm

sjduffers wrote:Mr. Legit, what is the impetus for gaining weight? A better golf game? Have a look at Justin Thomas, one of the skinniest guys on the Tour (maybe 145 lbs) and one of the longest. To look more scary on the streets of New York? Maybe, I'll give you that one, but otherwise you are probably much healthier and will likely live longer for not carrying all that weight on you every day: your joints will thank you down the road. I would trade with you in a heartbeat, btw. Anyway, good luck!
Mostly vanity I think, and not liking the number I'm seeing on the scale. Feel like I'm close to scraping the low end of the acceptable range. The roominess in my pants has been an annoyance too. Thanks for the encouragement though. If I can put on five lbs of good weight I'll be happy.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Is it possible some of the things you are doing to gain weight are causing you to loose it?

Example Clint Trickett (QB for FSU then WVU) was trying to gain weight. He was put on a high gluten diet by team nutritionists, but kept loosing weight. It was discovered he was allergic to gluten which was causing those calories to just be wasted, instead of helping him gain weight.
I'm probably doing a lot to cause the weight loss and not enough to compensate for it. If I step back I can see that there's a lot of calorie burning going on, against a pretty healthful and modest intake diet. I'm gonna try taking it a little easier, and also not getting as mad about everything, because that probably burns calories.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:29 am

legitimatebeef wrote: I'm gonna try taking it a little easier, and also not getting as mad about everything, because that probably burns calories.
Ok then Lol