Random thoughts

Post Reply
User avatar
sjduffers
Posts: 751
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 pm
Location: SF Bay area
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by sjduffers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:35 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:My wife says: Let me know what you want me make for your birthday Friday.
I say: Filet Mignon with the black pepper rub, hot steak fries, spinach.

She says: No, pick something else. That doesn't take long enough to make.

What the fuck?
I agree that's a little boring. Throw in a lobster tail or at the very least some lousy shrimps. Come on man, live a little.
... and some kind of cake while you're at it! Happy B-day!!
I'm gonna go low this time...

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by Coda1850 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:27 pm

sjduffers wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:My wife says: Let me know what you want me make for your birthday Friday.
I say: Filet Mignon with the black pepper rub, hot steak fries, spinach.

She says: No, pick something else. That doesn't take long enough to make.

What the fuck?
I agree that's a little boring. Throw in a lobster tail or at the very least some lousy shrimps. Come on man, live a little.
... and some kind of cake while you're at it! Happy B-day!!
Alright, so I've put in the request for some shrimp. Not those pre-cooked or tiny ones - jumbo & she's gotta pull the veins out 'n boil away. I also threw in a salad request. And Heineken.

As for the cake - the only cake we both eat... ice cream cake will be there, neither of us have to ask. Sometimes we actually get it just 'cause we like it. Birthday not required.

& thanks for the happy birthday. Also, I'm golfing on my birthday! It'll be a couple weeks so I'm gonna plan on hitting the range before playing (which is a good habit but I don't always do it).
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:57 pm

I love ice cream cake. But I gave up on it a while ago. A good one--i.e. NOT Fudgie the Whale--is hard to find. So why even bother is what I say. Just cut a slice o' nice cake and put a scoop of your favorite cold stuff right beside it. What could be easier. Having the ice cream and the cake structurally integrated together is a nice idea and all, but your tastebuds and your belly don't really know the difference.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:55 pm

I live on the tenth floor, which makes for a longish elevator ride. Used to be I spend that time staring into space, or at best contemplating what I'll do when I get in the front door. But now since I am all about efficiency, while still in the elevator I'll get my keys out, remove jacket, hat in hand, untie the shoes, unleash the dog, etc., basically anything I can do to prep for crossing the threshold of the homestead (short of unbuttoning pants). Now I can get into home-mode that much faster. To think of all that wasted time.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:37 am

Without a doubt the greatest innovation of our time is the internet and/or computer technology that powers smartphones etc. But another present-day technology has very quietly revolutionized our day to day lives. The LED lightbulb!

I was browsing some outdoor gear and flashlights in particular. An LED light can last a hundreds of hours on one measly set of batteries. Compare this to the pre-LED days. An old style incandescent flashlight could drain its batteries in less than a day. Not only that you needed at least a couple of bigass "C" batteries to produce anything brighter than a pen-light. Cops carried those D-cell Maglights, which were so big and heavy they literally doubled as weapons. Remember those camping-type flashlights with giant lantern batteries that were like the size of soup cans?

It wasn't just battery life. The old incandescent bulbs had a very limited lifespan. I remember the old maglights contained a hidden spare--pathetic! They were also prone to breakage. Even at their best they were rather dim too. Anyways all these shortcomings suddenly vanished with the arrival of the LED. Light-years better, smaller, cheaper, more durable. That kind of quantum-leap does not happen very often, people. Goddamnit it is about time that this technology gets its due, is all I am saying.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Without a doubt the greatest innovation of our time is the internet and/or computer technology that powers smartphones etc. But another present-day technology has very quietly revolutionized our day to day lives. The LED lightbulb!

I was browsing some outdoor gear and flashlights in particular. An LED light can last a hundreds of hours on one measly set of batteries. Compare this to the pre-LED days. An old style incandescent flashlight could drain its batteries in less than a day. Not only that you needed at least a couple of bigass "C" batteries to produce anything brighter than a pen-light. Cops carried those D-cell Maglights, which were so big and heavy they literally doubled as weapons. Remember those camping-type flashlights with giant lantern batteries that were like the size of soup cans?

It wasn't just battery life. The old incandescent bulbs had a very limited lifespan. I remember the old maglights contained a hidden spare--pathetic! They were also prone to breakage. Even at their best they were rather dim too. Anyways all these shortcomings suddenly vanished with the arrival of the LED. Light-years better, smaller, cheaper, more durable. That kind of quantum-leap does not happen very often, people. Goddamnit it is about time that this technology gets its due, is all I am saying.
I'm glad you wrote this up. I was going to agree with you, with the caveat that they can't replicate the antiquey nostalgic look of the old clear incandescent filament bulbs (I just bought a Craftsman bungalow and want to trick it out), but then I googled it before posting. They actually make LED versions of of those. Awesome !

Image
Bluto did it

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2195
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Frigid, Sunless Mitten
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:26 pm

What do you do with all the incandescent bulbs that one replaced with LED lights? I have a big basket of working incandescent bulbs and sort of hate to toss them. But I don't see ever replacing the LED and mini-neon bulbs with incandescent again.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by jfurr » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:54 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:What do you do with all the incandescent bulbs that one replaced with LED lights? I have a big basket of working incandescent bulbs and sort of hate to toss them. But I don't see ever replacing the LED and mini-neon bulbs with incandescent again.
Gave mine to my mom. She has a crotchety "Obama can't taking my lightbulbs" mantra going on. Whatever. She's in her 80's.

I changed every bulb in my house one day with LED. the color of the light in the new LED is nice, not cold like the first compact fluorescents. New windows and a new fridge and my power bill is much lower.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:03 pm

jfurr wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:What do you do with all the incandescent bulbs that one replaced with LED lights? I have a big basket of working incandescent bulbs and sort of hate to toss them. But I don't see ever replacing the LED and mini-neon bulbs with incandescent again.
Gave mine to my mom. She has a crotchety "Obama can't taking my lightbulbs" mantra going on. Whatever. She's in her 80's.

I changed every bulb in my house one day with LED. the color of the light in the new LED is nice, not cold like the first compact fluorescents. New windows and a new fridge and my power bill is much lower.
Give em to me. I still prefer incandescent for the home. I'll be still using them when I'm old probably. What can I say I'm set in my ways.

CFLs are an abomination. When we moved in here the bathroom was equipped with a row of about 10 of them. You'd look in the mirror and shrink back at your own reflection. "GAHHH! I AM HIDEOUS".
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by MattF » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:48 am

legitimatebeef wrote:You'd look in the mirror and shrink back at your own reflection. "GAHHH! I AM HIDEOUS".
And now? :D
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:03 am

MattF wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:You'd look in the mirror and shrink back at your own reflection. "GAHHH! I AM HIDEOUS".
And now? :D
Well I replaced the CFLs with some nice soft 40w incandescents so I could carry on living. Those bulbs might have saved my life.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by MattF » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:54 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
MattF wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:You'd look in the mirror and shrink back at your own reflection. "GAHHH! I AM HIDEOUS".
And now? :D
Well I replaced the CFLs with some nice soft 40w incandescents so I could carry on living. Those bulbs might have saved my life.

I think I'm going to go with LED's and get rid of the CFLs.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by jfurr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Having a variation of the World-Am staple drink "Dark N Stormy" this evening, wife made up a new recipe: Goslings Ginger Beer, Whiskey, Cranberry Juice, Sparkling Apple Juice, garnished with fresh cranberries.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Steak & Guinness for supper.
Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat & a movie now.

The movie & Shock Top both suck.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by jfurr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Coda1850 wrote:Steak & Guinness for supper.
Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat & a movie now.

The movie & Shock Top both suck.
Netflix and Chill

... I've been curious about the that pretzel wheat... I love wheats and whitbiers but scared of that one. Thumbs up on the steak and Guinness! :thumbup:
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 pm

jfurr wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Steak & Guinness for supper.
Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat & a movie now.

The movie & Shock Top both suck.
Netflix and Chill

... I've been curious about the that pretzel wheat... I love wheats and whitbiers but scared of that one. Thumbs up on the steak and Guinness! :thumbup:
It kinda grew on me. I'm about to grab another but probably will never get it again. I like Hoegaarden but the last 2 times I drank it... extra killer hang over. That's why I didn't grab Hoegaarden tonight.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:58 am

The phrase, "Father Time is undefeated"

Been hearing that a lot lately.

What does it mean, connote, or even suggest?

Very little other than to point out a very very primitive observation about the inexorability of aging. It is maybe one of the least insightful or useful things a person could say. About anything. In any context.

But this alone is not problematic. There is lots of meaningless stuff that dribbles out of our minds and mouths all day every day. What is uniquely stupid about "Father Time is undefeated" is that people invariably, to a man, deliver it with this weird tone of self-satisfaction, as if they are dropping some kind of profound wisdom for the ages on our asses.

Anyone who would use this phrase in earnest is sort of dead to me. At the very least I can be certain they have little to offer in the way of interesting conversation. In my view "Well there you go" is a hundred times more interesting and worthwhile a remark than "Father Time is undefeated".
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2195
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Frigid, Sunless Mitten
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 am

legitimatebeef wrote:The phrase, "XXXXXXXXX"

Been hearing that a lot lately.
What does it mean, connote, or even suggest? ...
Word and language geek wannabee that I am, I sometimes hear a phrase or saying and wonder from where it came or how it came to be. Fortunately there is "Google" and Wikipedia to explain everything to me. Same with you young people's use or texting lingo (IMO) and street jargon (e.g. pwned).

Sadly, some phrases and sayings are passing out of common usage. Anyone ever use the phrase, "I was on tenterhooks"? My mother would say it and I understood it meant she was tense or anxious but never really knew what a tenterhook was or why someone would be on tenterhooks. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that phrase other than in my family.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
JPJ
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:02 pm
Location: Sahrff Lahndun
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by JPJ » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Anyone ever use the phrase, "I was on tenterhooks"? My mother would say it and I understood it meant she was tense or anxious but never really knew what a tenterhook was or why someone would be on tenterhooks. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that phrase other than in my family.
Yes, it's commonly used here, although the ignoramuses I share this country and language with keep saying "tenderhooks".
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by jfurr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:28 pm

I don't understand the phrase "behind the 8 ball" -- like do you want to be behind the 8 ball, or not behind the 8 ball? Is it a good thing or not? Nobody every explained it to me. I swear I hear it being used in both situations which compounds my confusion. What does it mean ??!?!?
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:58 pm

This site is recognized by google now. For instance:
Screen shot 2016-03-28 at 8.56.11 PM.png
Screen shot 2016-03-28 at 8.56.11 PM.png (55.89 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:08 am

legitimatebeef wrote:This site is recognized by google now.
Image
Bluto did it

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2195
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Frigid, Sunless Mitten
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 am

If the site is recognized by Google, can monitoring by the NSA be far behind? Watch what you say boys.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2896
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:53 am

I just wanted to say how much I love the USA, and fuck Snowden and Apple for not working with the man.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 5105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Fuck em all.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests