Random thoughts

DougE

Re: Random thoughts

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:07 pm

jfurr wrote:I don't understand the phrase "behind the 8 ball" -- like do you want to be behind the 8 ball, or not behind the 8 ball? Is it a good thing or not? Nobody every explained it to me. I swear I hear it being used in both situations which compounds my confusion. What does it mean ??!?!?
You DO NOT want to be behind the 8-ball. In the game of 8-Ball in billiards/pool, if the cue ball is behind the 8 ball, with the 8-ball blocking your path to whatever ball you need to get at with the cue ball, you don't have an easy shot. (If you inadvertently sink the 8 ball before sinking all other balls, you lose.) It makes things more difficult when you have to stay away from the 8 ball. It's okay to hit it, but you just need to be much more careful so you don't affect it in a negative way. In life, when something makes your plan more difficult, you are now, behind the 8-ball.

Eg. You need to make par to win the match. On your approach you put it in the front bunker. With a short-sided pin, and a green that runs away from you, your odds are now pretty slim that you will make par. Not impossible, but it's going to require a fantastic shot. By landing in the bunker, you put yourself behind the 8 ball.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:34 pm

This is probably going to ruffle some feathers but f it who cares. The rice cake is arguably more of a medium or a substrate, than it is a standalone foodstuff. :|
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm

I.e. it's primary function is to aid in the delivery of peanut butter from hand to mouth. Or cottage cheese or whatever.
no more polo shirts

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Who the hell would be offended by that? A rice cake is nothing more than edible puffy cardboard (I'm not sure if cardboard is inedible).
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Excuse me, but how did this morph into a discussion of rice cakes?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 pm

DougE wrote:
jfurr wrote:I don't understand the phrase "behind the 8 ball" -- like do you want to be behind the 8 ball, or not behind the 8 ball? Is it a good thing or not? Nobody every explained it to me. I swear I hear it being used in both situations which compounds my confusion. What does it mean ??!?!?
You DO NOT want to be behind the 8-ball. In the game of 8-Ball in billiards/pool, if the cue ball is behind the 8 ball, with the 8-ball blocking your path to whatever ball you need to get at with the cue ball, you don't have an easy shot. (If you inadvertently sink the 8 ball before sinking all other balls, you lose.) It makes things more difficult when you have to stay away from the 8 ball. It's okay to hit it, but you just need to be much more careful so you don't affect it in a negative way. In life, when something makes your plan more difficult, you are now, behind the 8-ball.

Eg. You need to make par to win the match. On your approach you put it in the front bunker. With a short-sided pin, and a green that runs away from you, your odds are now pretty slim that you will make par. Not impossible, but it's going to require a fantastic shot. By landing in the bunker, you put yourself behind the 8 ball.
Thanks -- see that's what I always thought - that like in pool (8 ball) you don't want to block yerself. I think I have had fools who didn't understand the phrase mis-use it around me.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 pm

DougE wrote:

Thanks -- see that's what I always thought - that like in pool (8 ball) you don't want to block yerself. I think I have had fools who didn't understand the phrase mis-use it around me.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Crossed paths today with none other than the POTUS. All of Houston St. was barricaded, separating me from the Whole Foods and like a million other people from their destinations, cars and pedestrians alike. (Luckily I knew enough to use the 2nd ave F train subway station undercrossing to get to the other side). That guy comes here all the time, leaves epic traffic snarls everywhere. The infrastructure is splitting at the seams on a daily basis as is.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:06 am

What's going on? I feel weird today. Not bad weird, but something feels... different. Like when I woke up this morning and looked out the window, everything looked... different. Like the sun was way brighter and stronger than it usually is. Oh well, maybe I just had a really good sleep, that's probably all it is.
no more polo shirts

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Also, it's an hour later than what the clock says, assuming the clock was right yesterday. That changes the light, doesn't it? Along with our general perception of the world. It's already on for 8 months out of 12, so why don't we keep daylight savings all year round? I would welcome that.
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:22 pm

sjduffers wrote:Also, it's an hour later than what the clock says, assuming the clock was right yesterday. That changes the light, doesn't it? Along with our general perception of the world. It's already on for 8 months out of 12, so why don't we keep daylight savings all year round? I would welcome that.
I just think Beef needs to check his meds. :facepalm
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Ugh. I felt so good when I woke up but now that the sun is going down, depression is setting in. I feel so dark all of a sudden.
no more polo shirts

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Same :|

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Semi-Private Golf Course.

What does that mean? You are either open for public play, or not, right?

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:19 pm

jfurr wrote:Semi-Private Golf Course.

What does that mean? You are either open for public play, or not, right?
True. But in a semi-private golf course, you can buy into a membership (not necessarily an equity membership), so there are both members and non-members (i.e. the public) playing.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:27 pm

sjduffers wrote:an equity membership
Pardon my ignorance, what is this? Like an inherited privilege? In which case, I get it. (Duh :roll: )

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Typically, membership in a private equity course (country club) would require being nominated by an existing member in good standing, an investment in the club by way of initiation fees, dues and ongoing assessments, which will cover the running of the club and improvements as necessary. There will be a board of directors with a membership who votes on major issues in the best interest of the club. With some private clubs, you can sell your interest in the club if you move away.

Generally speaking, a semi-private course is not owned or controlled by the members, but rather a group of partners/investors and a management company. The members pay a fee each year to have playing privileges, and those members typically get first dibs on tee times and have private membership-only tournaments, but have little say in how the course is run. Some require nomination by other members, and some require an initiation, but it doesn't get you any type of ownership. There are other semi private set-ups which have both equity and non-equity memberships, as well as offering daily fee play to the public. But, only the equity members have any say, and they typically pay a much larger initiation. They are partners in the club, whereas the non-equity members just get to use all the facilities with no voice in club decisions. Public play is usually allowed at semi-private courses, which is another revenue stream used to help cover expenses. Public tee times are usually only available after members have had plenty of time to pick and choose what times they want to play. Whatever doesn't get booked by membership is released for public play only a few days ahead of time.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:19 am

DougE wrote:Public tee times are usually only available after members have had plenty of time to pick and choose what times they want to play. Whatever doesn't get booked by membership is released for public play only a few days ahead of time.
Doug, how many members at your current place? (non-equity memberships - right?).

What perks do you get? Obviously unlimited golf with cart extra.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:17 pm

jfurr wrote:
sjduffers wrote:an equity membership
Pardon my ignorance, what is this? Like an inherited privilege? In which case, I get it. (Duh :roll: )
Doug explained it perfectly, but equity just means one's stake into something , i.e. ownership. Same with equity in your house: if you don't have any, the banks owns it, period. If you have some equity, the bank owns only the other part, until you pay down your mortgage and then own the house outright, i.e. with 100% equity. When you make an improvement on the house that increases it's value, you increase your equity because the dollar amount owned by the bank is unchanged, but the value of the house is now more. :school

In an equity membership, the member owns a share of the club, i.e. part of the walls in the clubhouse and part of the fairways, greens, cart fleet, etc... In a non-equity membership, the member owns nothing other than the right to play there, provided they pay their dues, which typically only cover the running expenses, not the capital expenses, which are paid by the owners. Of course, only equity members have any say in the decision involving the ownership, including spending money to improve the property.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:41 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
DougE wrote:Public tee times are usually only available after members have had plenty of time to pick and choose what times they want to play. Whatever doesn't get booked by membership is released for public play only a few days ahead of time.
Doug, how many members at your current place? (non-equity memberships - right?).

What perks do you get? Obviously unlimited golf with cart extra.
BK, yes, all members here are non-equity. The course is owned privately by one family and the managing owner is on site everyday. There are only about 15-20 full members who get all the perks, however there are some other lesser membership options, of which there are a bunch more members, but not enough to have a total membership of more than 35-40 total. And those other options do not offer anywhere near the benefits I get as a full 7-day member. 7-day Platinum/Preferred members get access to a nice country club-style, personalized varnished wood locker (with name inscribed) in a very clean locker room, with private shower and bathroom reserved only for members. I can leave my push cart and/or clubs there if I so choose. (I leave my cart, but like to have my clubs with me all the time. I do sometimes leave extra clubs there.) I can make tee times a month in advance if I want. I get a discount in the pro shop and a small discount for my guests' green fees. It's usually only 10 bucks, but, a buck's a buck. It also includes my USGA handicap index. There are no monthly minimum food & beverage requirements.

Though not something specifically listed as a perk, I get preferential treatment. They treat their members there like gold. If the course is packed and I just show up, they will go out of their way to get me out. In fact, they have accommodated me during outings where the course was basically full, allowing me to find open holes and just stay out of the way of the outing. They will not do that for someone who is not a member. Also, from time to time, they tell me to take a cart, no charge. As I have mentioned elsewhere on these boards, the club teaching pro gives me lots of free help when I ask him or sometimes I don't even need to ask. I have only paid for a 1/2 hour lesson this year, which went on for almost two hours. It's nice to belong here. And everybody knows my name. That counts for me. I feel at home here now. These are just some of the non-tangible benefits I feel I get from my membership.

On top of all this, the course itself is a 4-star track and rates up there with some of the nicest I have played anywhere in the country. And I get to play it as often as I want.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 am

DougE wrote:
...Though not something specifically listed as a perk, I get preferential treatment...

On top of all this, the course itself is a 4-star track and rates up there with some of the nicest I have played anywhere in the country. And I get to play it as often as I want.
When I fully retire, it would be nice to "belong" somewhere. Being treated well is worth a lot considering how we mostly move through life as an anonymous commodity. I am "10:20 am Twosome" not Brian.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:31 am

You are not a commodity here, Friend.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:37 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
When I fully retire, it would be nice to "belong" somewhere. Being treated well is worth a lot considering how we mostly move through life as an anonymous commodity.

You "belong" here! It wouldn't be the same without you.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 am

I enjoy walking an empty, closed golf course. Our city course, Leslie Park, closed for the season 11/18. So Sunday, after my aborted attempt to play 18 holes, my wife and I strolled Leslie. The fairways are a perfect surface on which to walk. It is fun reliving all the great (and not so great) moments from golf seasons past. I saw a senior citizen grubbing around in the brush bordering the creek that separates #10 and #13 fairways. He had a plastic sack full of used balls. I told my wife that I hoped when I was 80, I wasn't that guy. Sigh. But I probably will be.
Let's Play 36