Random thoughts

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Random thoughts

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:18 pm

I have trouble keeping track of every social media approach. I thought Facebook was the province of "older" people. If one is 29 and under, Snap Chat, Instagram or Twitter was the thing. There are likely half a dozen other "social" connection methods of which I am totally unaware. I often read about younger entrepreneurs or people who sold their business to Google or Microsoft for big $$$. It is embarrassing that I never heard of their company and have no idea what it did.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Random thoughts - the lottery

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Here is my lottery hot take. People of my socioeconomic class and above tend to look down their noses at this shit. I don't. What's the big deal? Occasionally I will plop down a couple bucks and play. In doing so I am neither wasting my time nor hard earned money. OK so maybe if people are dedicating a regular portion of their budget to playing then maybe that falls under something serious like gambling addiction. But for everyone else, you can spend a dollar, or two or whatever they cost and for that chump change, you get to play in a game with a real actual chance at winning some ungodly sum o' money. OK so the probability is sooooo small but hey--it is still waaay bigger than zero. So in that space of time between purchasing your ticket and the drawing of numbers, you are in the game, a potential gajllionaire, and thus cannot help but to entertain some silly ideas. It is kind of fun. Not like super duper fun, but hey, what the hell do you expect for one or two dollars? I am from the arcade generation. We jammed so many quarters into machines just for kicks. This is not that different. Anyways these days, if you ever happen across a modern arcade machine, chances are it costs at least a dollar to play.

I still consider it a bit silly to play whenever a gigantic jackpot fever goes around, because you should just play whenever you feel like it. The odds are always the same. Like oh god, 34 million or some ordinary jackpot is not enough for you asshole? Anyways, what are you going to actually do with over a billion dollars? For most people, win a billion dollars that just means you are going to die that much faster. Statistically there has got to be some maximum jackpot-winning amount, in terms of happiness, and not dying early and shit like that. I'd estimate it at around like... 6-9 million. I.e. if you win more than that, you're probably fucked. 1.6 billion is a scary amount, I'd fear I might die of shock in the actual moment of winning. Just imagine the pulse-pounding and lightheadedness.

I feel that even if you were altruistic at heart, the desire to do something good and lasting would probably eventually consume you. Even if you donated most of it you could still spend your days regretting how and where you donated it, and maybe you'd wish you could've done more proactive in life than spread a pile of cash around. And other such worries. Inevitably much of your donations would be wasted or misappropriated or even flat out skimmed, stolen. You see where I am going with this. You would cease to be the old you, and now instead you become the bearer of this gigantic burden. Like fucking Frodo or something. This thing now defines your life and I am guessing that most people eventually miss their old simple selfs.

So now, I have pretty much talked myself out of buying a ticket today. For the Mega Millions at least. Maybe I just go buy a scratcher, try to win a measly $100k or something like that. Won't send me to the moon or anything but very likely will not cause a premature death either.
Build a bridge and get over it.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I agree with what you said in the first paragraph. I don't play in the small jackpots (say 15 mill) because it's not that thrilling to think about what you can do with it. It's pretty straightforward really, so why pay for that dream? In the biggest ones (say above $300M, so that you are talking about 170 in lump sum and 85 after taxes), you can start dreaming big and that is kinda fun.

I don't think I am going to win (1 out 302.6M chances for every $2 spent) but I would be remiss not to partake in that big dream that everyone is having today for $2. As a matter of fact, just spent $10 on each of the two big pots, drawing tonight and tomorrow night. If I do win, I don't think I am going to have a heart attack and there is plenty of time (is it 6 months?) to figure out what to do and then claim the winnings... As for the long term implications, don't sweat it, do the best you can with it, and don't end up broke as many do (because they are STUPID)! ;)
Last edited by sjduffers on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:44 pm

Well, good luck! I mean, if you do end up winning all that cash. :up
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:30 pm

I've got a share of 500+ tickets through work. My share is $6.5 million before taxes
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Let me be the first to announce that I did not win. Of course, I did not have a ticket so if I had won, there would have been a bit of an investigation.

I think someone in SC had the single winning ticket. Wow, working for $15 an hour and then sitting on $650,000,000 after taxes. Just a bit of a change in one's life.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Way back in the 80's and early 90's I was a skateboarding fanatic and this was a friend of mine who was an amazing skater from Charleston SC who eventually went pro. He died far too young. He had the most amazing skate style. A lot of the clips in this video was from an event I also attended called the Farm Ramp jam which I think was in 1990.

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/video/m ... wsource=cl
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 am

Man he makes that look so simple. I did a lot of skateboarding for 3-5 years during high school and college. I remember in college there were about 8 of us that would all meet up in a parking lot on the edge of campus Monday nights. We brought our own ramps, rails, and boxes. The cops started to show up and turn their headlights/spotlights on to give us more light, which always seemed odd. I think they just wanted to watch as long as we weren't messing up school property. 2 of those guys went on to be pro skaters. I wasn't good at all, but I have enough knowledge to be amazed at how easy he made a lot of that look. Also, I now remember why I hate skate boarding videos, fucking fish eye cameras.
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 pm

We mostly rode half pipe ramps like in the video. Blaize was the king. I was pretty good, but not good enough to be a sponsored am or anything.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 pm

each sentence of this article is perfect

https://triad-city-beat.com/plts-love-o ... b4i4dwP8hg