Anything, Dog

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby DougE » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 am

jasonfish11 wrote:My dog needs another surgery. This time to remove a tumor. Also found out she has a heart murmur and will likely need heart meds if/when it gets worse.


I absolutely love my dog like there is no tomorrow. She is 1/2 Golden and 1/2 Lab, now 7 years old. She goes with me or my wife nearly everywhere. She thinks she is human. SInce we have no kids, she is treated like our child. Spoiled beyond reason.

I hate to see any dog have to go through surgery or to simply be in pain of any sort. I slept on the floor with mine the first few nights after she had surgery on her ruptured cruciate ligament a couple years ago. It was excruciating to go through for her and likely more painful for me to stand by helplessly and watch her go through it. So I understand how you feel Jason. I truly hope your girl is 100% after she gets the care she needs, both for her sake and yours.

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jattruia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 am

DougE wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:My dog needs another surgery. This time to remove a tumor. Also found out she has a heart murmur and will likely need heart meds if/when it gets worse.


I absolutely love my dog like there is no tomorrow. She is 1/2 Golden and 1/2 Lab, now 7 years old. She goes with me or my wife nearly everywhere. She thinks she is human. SInce we have no kids, she is treated like our child. Spoiled beyond reason.

I hate to see any dog have to go through surgery or to simply be in pain of any sort. I slept on the floor with mine the first few nights after she had surgery on her ruptured cruciate ligament a couple years ago. It was excruciating to go through for her and likely more painful for me to stand by helplessly and watch her go through it. So I understand how you feel Jason. I truly hope your girl is 100% after she gets the care she needs, both for her sake and yours.


Couldn't agree with his any more. Good luck, hope she's feeling better soon!

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:54 pm

jattruia wrote:
DougE wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:My dog needs another surgery. This time to remove a tumor. Also found out she has a heart murmur and will likely need heart meds if/when it gets worse.


I absolutely love my dog like there is no tomorrow. She is 1/2 Golden and 1/2 Lab, now 7 years old. She goes with me or my wife nearly everywhere. She thinks she is human. SInce we have no kids, she is treated like our child. Spoiled beyond reason.

I hate to see any dog have to go through surgery or to simply be in pain of any sort. I slept on the floor with mine the first few nights after she had surgery on her ruptured cruciate ligament a couple years ago. It was excruciating to go through for her and likely more painful for me to stand by helplessly and watch her go through it. So I understand how you feel Jason. I truly hope your girl is 100% after she gets the care she needs, both for her sake and yours.


Couldn't agree with his any more. Good luck, hope she's feeling better soon!


Well said by DougE. Good luck to your pup!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm

I feel ya Jason. Had to put my dog down last year after non-operable bone cancer. Good luck with your pooch.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:30 pm

So surgery went better than expected, entire tumor was easily removed and very unlikely it spread anywhere else. The pup is back home resting. Thanks everyone
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:31 pm

That's great news.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby DougE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Glad to hear it. Best news I've heard today!

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jfurr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:So surgery went better than expected, entire tumor was easily removed and very unlikely it spread anywhere else. The pup is back home resting. Thanks everyone


Great news!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
sjduffers
Posts: 592
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 pm
Location: SF Bay area
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby sjduffers » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Awesome news! Did they shave like a quarter of your dog, like they did mine a few years ago? The pup had an interesting do for a while, lol!
I'm gonna go low this time...

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby MattF » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 am

Sweet!
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 am

sjduffers wrote:Awesome news! Did they shave like a quarter of your dog, like they did mine a few years ago? The pup had an interesting do for a while, lol!


Nope just a small section under her left arm pit.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jattruia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am

This is awesome, thanks for the update!

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 3600
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Have to be honest here, I like to share a beer with Ringo. I pour out a teaspoon of IPA into my palm and he loves it. What it is about the taste he likes, it's hard to say. But he does, and he is sort of picky. Unlike many dogs he wont eat a carrot, and half the time he will pass up peanut butter. I know the internet says alcohol is toxic to dogs, but I believe it only toxic insofar as it's toxic to us too, technically speaking. It's such a small amount that I give him, it can't be bad. Actually what I suspect is that there are some actual gut-health benefits from consuming the alcohol, or the hops or whatever. This dog has a healthy diet and probably the best dog craps you have ever seen. Beer is not an entirely unhealthy substance after all and what this dog gets is usually organic beer. :gross Anyways it's good times, I recommend it. Life is short, give your dog a sip of your beer!
everyone is gay

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby MattF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:17 am

It's the grain and the hops. The alcohol is what's toxic to both of us, but more so dogs and cats because of their size. A small handful would be OK, just not a bottle.

Some breweries make dog biscuits out of the spend grains, which are a pretty healthy treat. I made some and Spencer had one and never had another one.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

My dog fell asleep after watching cat failure videos on YouTube.
Attachments
27807.jpeg
27807.jpeg (875.29 KiB) Viewed 368 times
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:41 am

My dog blew out her knee surgery again. She is 11 and been under anesthesia 6 times, I am not sure we can keep doing this to her
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby DougE » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. My GoldenLab girl had the crutiate ligament (knee) surgery two years ago (at 5 1/2 yrs old) and watching what she went through was very hard for me. (I'm a big sap when it comes to my pup.) She healed nicely and has been fine since, but the chances of it happening again are high from what I have heard. At 11 years old, I'm not sure what I would choose to do.

Dogs are very adaptable and losing the majority of use in a leg is just something they learn to deal with quickly. But those of us who love them unconditionally don't easily adapt to watching them struggle. It would tear me up inside, but losing her altogether would be worse.

I hate to think of what you are going through.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah we have no clue. Going to the vet on Saturday to see what is wrong. Although I'm 99% sure her last surgery failed.

She has pretty badly bowed legs so the doctor said any surgery to repair the crutiate will have a pretty high failure rate. Basically her bones just pinch that ligament so anything they put in it's place to be a fix will get pinched too. Basically her leg bones are like scissors to the crutiate (or anything put there to replace it). We have done 3 surgeries on her left knee and this would be her 2nd on the right side. Also this is the dog that just had a tumor removed. So it would be her 6th time going under anesthesia (2nd in 4-6 months).

I think we are just going to see what the vet recommends and go from there. Although I'm guessing he recommends for us to keep paying his kids college tuition (that isn't fair he's a nice guy and always tries to tell us what he'd do).
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 am

I just know that if we do have to put her down, the night before I'm cooking her a steak.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby DougE » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am

After reading your last, I got down on the floor and laid next to my pup and just hugged her. They are just so innocent.

Fingers crossed for you and your best friend, Jason.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2314
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jfurr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I just know that if we do have to put her down, the night before I'm cooking her a steak.


Man, I'm sorry to hear this. I love my dog so much too.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
sjduffers
Posts: 592
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 pm
Location: SF Bay area
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby sjduffers » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 am

Jason, are you familiar at all with TPLO, a surgery that changes the relationship of the tibia to the femur and repairs a CCL without replacing ligaments (you have to read up on it, it's hard to explain)? My dog had this done and while it was expensive, it was a great success. She also had a large tumor removed from her side in the same year (the quarter dog shaved look...). Sadly, she has since passed away, just over a year now, but it was well worth it to her well being...
I'm gonna go low this time...

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:54 am

sjduffers wrote:Jason, are you familiar at all with TPLO, a surgery that changes the relationship of the tibia to the femur and repairs a CCL without replacing ligaments (you have to read up on it, it's hard to explain)? My dog had this done and while it was expensive, it was a great success. She also had a large tumor removed from her side in the same year (the quarter dog shaved look...). Sadly, she has since passed away, just over a year now, but it was well worth it to her well being...


Yeah we talked about this option. The problem is that with her bowed legs cutting the bone has to be done on 2 angles. One is pretty simple to measure, but the angle the femur comes in from the side would require a lot of "guess work". The doctor felt it was probably the second best option and went with a fibula suture instead.

Oddly today she is acting like nothing is wrong. Yesterday morning she couldn't put any weight on it. Luckily it was my work from home day so I made sure she just rested. Today she is sitting and walking fine. So hopefully I have no clue what is wrong and she just twisted it Wednesday night and it was really stiff yesterday morning.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am

Thank goodness everything is fine and she likely just twisted her knee or something minor while running around. She was fine yesterday and today but I still took her being overly cautious given how bad it bothered her on Thursday.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Anything, Dog

Postby DougE » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Great news for the both of you! Actually for me too. I feel better now. I know it sounds crazy, but I was worried for your pup. As I said, I am a big sap. I saw the picture you posted of her and felt connected. I really am happy for you both.


Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest