Page 9 of 10

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 am
by DougE
jasonfish11 wrote:My dog needs another surgery. This time to remove a tumor. Also found out she has a heart murmur and will likely need heart meds if/when it gets worse.
I absolutely love my dog like there is no tomorrow. She is 1/2 Golden and 1/2 Lab, now 7 years old. She goes with me or my wife nearly everywhere. She thinks she is human. SInce we have no kids, she is treated like our child. Spoiled beyond reason.

I hate to see any dog have to go through surgery or to simply be in pain of any sort. I slept on the floor with mine the first few nights after she had surgery on her ruptured cruciate ligament a couple years ago. It was excruciating to go through for her and likely more painful for me to stand by helplessly and watch her go through it. So I understand how you feel Jason. I truly hope your girl is 100% after she gets the care she needs, both for her sake and yours.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 am
by jattruia
DougE wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:My dog needs another surgery. This time to remove a tumor. Also found out she has a heart murmur and will likely need heart meds if/when it gets worse.
I absolutely love my dog like there is no tomorrow. She is 1/2 Golden and 1/2 Lab, now 7 years old. She goes with me or my wife nearly everywhere. She thinks she is human. SInce we have no kids, she is treated like our child. Spoiled beyond reason.

I hate to see any dog have to go through surgery or to simply be in pain of any sort. I slept on the floor with mine the first few nights after she had surgery on her ruptured cruciate ligament a couple years ago. It was excruciating to go through for her and likely more painful for me to stand by helplessly and watch her go through it. So I understand how you feel Jason. I truly hope your girl is 100% after she gets the care she needs, both for her sake and yours.
Couldn't agree with his any more. Good luck, hope she's feeling better soon!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:54 pm
by Coda1850
jattruia wrote:
DougE wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:My dog needs another surgery. This time to remove a tumor. Also found out she has a heart murmur and will likely need heart meds if/when it gets worse.
I absolutely love my dog like there is no tomorrow. She is 1/2 Golden and 1/2 Lab, now 7 years old. She goes with me or my wife nearly everywhere. She thinks she is human. SInce we have no kids, she is treated like our child. Spoiled beyond reason.

I hate to see any dog have to go through surgery or to simply be in pain of any sort. I slept on the floor with mine the first few nights after she had surgery on her ruptured cruciate ligament a couple years ago. It was excruciating to go through for her and likely more painful for me to stand by helplessly and watch her go through it. So I understand how you feel Jason. I truly hope your girl is 100% after she gets the care she needs, both for her sake and yours.
Couldn't agree with his any more. Good luck, hope she's feeling better soon!
Well said by DougE. Good luck to your pup!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm
by Duke of Hazards
I feel ya Jason. Had to put my dog down last year after non-operable bone cancer. Good luck with your pooch.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:30 pm
by jasonfish11
So surgery went better than expected, entire tumor was easily removed and very unlikely it spread anywhere else. The pup is back home resting. Thanks everyone

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:31 pm
by Duke of Hazards
That's great news.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:39 pm
by DougE
Glad to hear it. Best news I've heard today!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm
by jfurr
jasonfish11 wrote:So surgery went better than expected, entire tumor was easily removed and very unlikely it spread anywhere else. The pup is back home resting. Thanks everyone
Great news!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 pm
by sjduffers
Awesome news! Did they shave like a quarter of your dog, like they did mine a few years ago? The pup had an interesting do for a while, lol!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 am
by MattF
Sweet!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 am
by jasonfish11
sjduffers wrote:Awesome news! Did they shave like a quarter of your dog, like they did mine a few years ago? The pup had an interesting do for a while, lol!
Nope just a small section under her left arm pit.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am
by jattruia
This is awesome, thanks for the update!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm
by legitimatebeef
Have to be honest here, I like to share a beer with Ringo. I pour out a teaspoon of IPA into my palm and he loves it. What it is about the taste he likes, it's hard to say. But he does, and he is sort of picky. Unlike many dogs he wont eat a carrot, and half the time he will pass up peanut butter. I know the internet says alcohol is toxic to dogs, but I believe it only toxic insofar as it's toxic to us too, technically speaking. It's such a small amount that I give him, it can't be bad. Actually what I suspect is that there are some actual gut-health benefits from consuming the alcohol, or the hops or whatever. This dog has a healthy diet and probably the best dog craps you have ever seen. Beer is not an entirely unhealthy substance after all and what this dog gets is usually organic beer. :gross Anyways it's good times, I recommend it. Life is short, give your dog a sip of your beer!

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:17 am
by MattF
It's the grain and the hops. The alcohol is what's toxic to both of us, but more so dogs and cats because of their size. A small handful would be OK, just not a bottle.

Some breweries make dog biscuits out of the spend grains, which are a pretty healthy treat. I made some and Spencer had one and never had another one.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am
by jasonfish11
My dog fell asleep after watching cat failure videos on YouTube.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:41 am
by jasonfish11
My dog blew out her knee surgery again. She is 11 and been under anesthesia 6 times, I am not sure we can keep doing this to her

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am
by DougE
Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. My GoldenLab girl had the crutiate ligament (knee) surgery two years ago (at 5 1/2 yrs old) and watching what she went through was very hard for me. (I'm a big sap when it comes to my pup.) She healed nicely and has been fine since, but the chances of it happening again are high from what I have heard. At 11 years old, I'm not sure what I would choose to do.

Dogs are very adaptable and losing the majority of use in a leg is just something they learn to deal with quickly. But those of us who love them unconditionally don't easily adapt to watching them struggle. It would tear me up inside, but losing her altogether would be worse.

I hate to think of what you are going through.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 am
by jasonfish11
Yeah we have no clue. Going to the vet on Saturday to see what is wrong. Although I'm 99% sure her last surgery failed.

She has pretty badly bowed legs so the doctor said any surgery to repair the crutiate will have a pretty high failure rate. Basically her bones just pinch that ligament so anything they put in it's place to be a fix will get pinched too. Basically her leg bones are like scissors to the crutiate (or anything put there to replace it). We have done 3 surgeries on her left knee and this would be her 2nd on the right side. Also this is the dog that just had a tumor removed. So it would be her 6th time going under anesthesia (2nd in 4-6 months).

I think we are just going to see what the vet recommends and go from there. Although I'm guessing he recommends for us to keep paying his kids college tuition (that isn't fair he's a nice guy and always tries to tell us what he'd do).

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 am
by jasonfish11
I just know that if we do have to put her down, the night before I'm cooking her a steak.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am
by DougE
After reading your last, I got down on the floor and laid next to my pup and just hugged her. They are just so innocent.

Fingers crossed for you and your best friend, Jason.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm
by jfurr
jasonfish11 wrote:I just know that if we do have to put her down, the night before I'm cooking her a steak.
Man, I'm sorry to hear this. I love my dog so much too.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 am
by sjduffers
Jason, are you familiar at all with TPLO, a surgery that changes the relationship of the tibia to the femur and repairs a CCL without replacing ligaments (you have to read up on it, it's hard to explain)? My dog had this done and while it was expensive, it was a great success. She also had a large tumor removed from her side in the same year (the quarter dog shaved look...). Sadly, she has since passed away, just over a year now, but it was well worth it to her well being...

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:54 am
by jasonfish11
sjduffers wrote:Jason, are you familiar at all with TPLO, a surgery that changes the relationship of the tibia to the femur and repairs a CCL without replacing ligaments (you have to read up on it, it's hard to explain)? My dog had this done and while it was expensive, it was a great success. She also had a large tumor removed from her side in the same year (the quarter dog shaved look...). Sadly, she has since passed away, just over a year now, but it was well worth it to her well being...
Yeah we talked about this option. The problem is that with her bowed legs cutting the bone has to be done on 2 angles. One is pretty simple to measure, but the angle the femur comes in from the side would require a lot of "guess work". The doctor felt it was probably the second best option and went with a fibula suture instead.

Oddly today she is acting like nothing is wrong. Yesterday morning she couldn't put any weight on it. Luckily it was my work from home day so I made sure she just rested. Today she is sitting and walking fine. So hopefully I have no clue what is wrong and she just twisted it Wednesday night and it was really stiff yesterday morning.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am
by jasonfish11
Thank goodness everything is fine and she likely just twisted her knee or something minor while running around. She was fine yesterday and today but I still took her being overly cautious given how bad it bothered her on Thursday.

Re: Anything, Dog

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:52 pm
by DougE
Great news for the both of you! Actually for me too. I feel better now. I know it sounds crazy, but I was worried for your pup. As I said, I am a big sap. I saw the picture you posted of her and felt connected. I really am happy for you both.