Tennis

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Tennis

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:07 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Not to mention the flashback match between Roger & Rafa. Maybe the days of tennis players quitting at age 30 is coming to and end?

Some tennis fans feel the current generation of 20-somethings is like, the worst ever. That could also be a factor in these guys's success. Same applies to women's tennis too probably.

Anyways let's not get sidetracked here. This was the most inspirational sporting match seen in a long time. Federer was flying around the court, slashing winners off both wings, playing a sort of desperate, nothing to lose tennis. Nadal's lumbering power game was noticeably more aged than Fed's, especially during the ultimate set. The Maestro's game is awesome. Even at this age he has shots that no one else has.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Really wish I could've watched these matches. I enjoy watching the top level tennis stuff. I just don't ever catch it on the tube.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:30 pm

jfurr wrote:Really wish I could've watched these matches. I enjoy watching the top level tennis stuff. I just don't ever catch it on the tube.

This one was out of reach for us EST'ers anyways. It started at 3am. Check out the youTube. I watched a reel of highlights, it played most of the points I think, and lasts about twenty minutes. Worth checking out for Federer's play alone. Screw Tiger, I think I'm on the Fed-Express bandwagon now. Really looking forward to the next slams especially Wimby, seeing what he can do with this new confidence not to mention this new backhand. I might have to show up to Flushing Meadows this year.
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Funny thing, I used to watch quite a bit of tennis for a short spell back in the Chang/Sampras/Courier days, haven't watched much since. I've missed out on the whole Federer/Nadal era.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:41 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Funny thing, I used to watch quite a bit of tennis for a short spell back in the Chang/Sampras/Courier days, haven't watched much since. I've missed out on the whole Federer/Nadal era.

Yes, we used to watch the US Open on USA Channel (?) even back when Sampras was king and the aging Connors and McEnroe were making some noise. "Serve & volley" tennis is so much more watchable, as long as the server is not overly dominant.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Heck yeah! The good ol days of tennis. Some Lendl and even Bjorn Borg. Graf dominating on the women's side.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:18 am

Graf :thrust
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 am

FedExpress won again yesterday at Indian Wells, a pretty big title. :thrust
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 am

legitimatebeef wrote:FedExpress won again yesterday at Indian Wells, a pretty big title. :thrust

An equally interesting side story was the dismantling of Nadal in straight sets earlier in the tournament. Nadal has pretty much dominated Roger the Dodger over the past several years. That makes two in a row.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:FedExpress won again yesterday at Indian Wells, a pretty big title. :thrust

An equally interesting side story was the dismantling of Nadal in straight sets earlier in the tournament. Nadal has pretty much dominated Roger the Dodger over the past several years. That makes two in a row.

This is why I get so annoyed whenever anyone trots out the old "Father Time is undefeated" cliche. People obviously have different relationships with time and the Nadal/Federer juxtaposition proves it. Nadal is five years younger but time has ravaged his game much harder than it has Fed's.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Unbelievably the Rogie Federer Express keeps rolling on. I expect it to run out of gas and sputter to a stop any second now. Last night I watched the last half of the Miami Open semifinal against Kyrgios, about as detestable and annoying a character you will ever see in a pro sports arena. Fed is really riding a wave. His confidence is high and it seems to be giving him a real edge over his opponents. Now he's in a final again, against Nadal, again. I think I'm more of a tennis fan than a golf one right now.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:28 pm

insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Federer beat Nadal for the third time this year, 6-3, 6-4, to become the oldest men's champion in the 33-year history of the tournament.

:thumbs
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:10 am

American Sam Querrey is a Trump guy, but still I enjoyed watching him brutalize Andy Murray in front of a stadium full of pale glum British faces.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:16 am

Roger Federer, greatest sportsman of our time!
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:03 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Roger Federer, greatest sportsman of our ALL time!

After some consideration! Also now realizing that tennis is more entertaining to watch than golf. Tennis has the drama of any great ball oriented sport, plus the head-to-head dimension not unlike the sports where people try to punch each other. Federer vs. Nadal is a very real and compelling rivalry. Golf has nothing of the sort. :thumbdown

I am not trying to bash golf the game, just golf the spectator sport. Still believe golf is the best game in the universe to play.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 pm

Anyone old enough to recall the long ago telecasts of the US Open on USA? Great entertainment around the Labor Day weekend. Sigh, I miss those days. :breaking
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Anyone old enough to recall the long ago telecasts of the US Open on USA? Great entertainment around the Labor Day weekend. Sigh, I miss those days. :breaking

You mean to tell me that you can no longer enjoy watching the US Open, because it's not on USA network anymore? Get with the times man!!! One big reason for me getting all into the Wimbleton (shut up I am an ignorant 'merican) action this year was that I was using the AppleTV/ESPN, with its broad coverage and crisp HD picture. Never been a better time to watch sports on the tv.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 pm

It was the players ... Sampras, McEnroe, Conners, Agassi, et al, not the network.
Let's Play 36

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”