Hurricane watch

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Hurricane watch

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 pm

jfurr wrote:We went from the Path of Totality to the Cone of Uncertainty

Again, let's go back to prehistoric times and contemplate the effects of this sort of weird-shit cluster on early man. It would be easy to think that the world, the universe, or god or whatever is warning you, punishing you, etc.

In general it feels like bad times in the world! I realize that at any given time in world history there have been calamities going on all over, but 2016-17 feels pretty exceptional!
insufficient data

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 pm

DougE wrote:...that is where Richard Branson (of Virgin Atlantic) has his private resort. I think the eye went directly over the island based on the graphics I have seen. He had said he was not going to evacuate a couple days ago. It is a very low lying island. I can't imagine that it wasn't totally devastated.

He and his buddies went to the concrete wine cellar and rode out the storm. I understand that Branson's and his neighbor, D. Trump, had major damage.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Looks to be forecast turning away from the coast, which is good.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Looks to be forecast turning away from the coast of SC/NC/GA, which is good. Less water to feed energy

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 am

Doug I hope your family either got out or can get to a safe area
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:29 am

So I never do this but it's looking worse every update.

Please keep my grandma in your minds. She's at a point where she basically isn't able to get out of Pinellas county. She's heading to my parents house and will be there on her own. It looks like Pinellas is going to be a direct hit with a cat 3. Hopefully it makes landfall south of Tampa Bay as it will limit the flooding by pulling water out of the bay. Although that isn't ideal for Doug's family, so I say that hoping they were able to get out.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am

Been in constant touch with Mom and both sister's families. They have a plan, of which I hope they heed to. Mom's house was built after Andrew, so has the upgraded building requirements instituted by the state. She is not in a flood prone area, about a mile inland from the bay. At least one sister and brother-in-law will be with her, as well as grown nephews and a baby. All will go to shelter right down the street if the storm continues on the present projected path. The other sister and family is in an area that floods. She will not be in her house. They will probably come to my Mom's as well. I am not as concerned about flooding at my Mom's, but wind damage could be devastating if they get 100+ mph.

I expect landfall further south, at this point anyway. Near Naples. After first wiping out the Keys. The entire west coast is at major risk though. I'm watching closely, for sure.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am

I'm trying to decide if I should head down there to help her out. I am split and have no clue what to do.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I am in south central Alabama, if you want to meet here on Monday afternoon, I will travel with you. But to go straight there now is suicidal.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 pm

So I found out that my parents neighbor is staying (ie can't get out) and she is actually going to his house with him, his wife and her mom. He will be able to do anything I would have. So I didn't head down.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 pm

DougE wrote:The entire west coast is at major risk though. I'm watching closely, for sure.

It's too bad the east coast didn't get it instead, because that's where all the obnoxious rich motherfuckers are. Tiger, Trump, Howard Stern etc.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:54 am

The arrogance, and the hypocrisy of these so-called reporters standing outside on location and wagging their finger at the public saying it's too dangerous to be outside, while acting like there's nothing unreasonable whatsoever about what they are currently doing. I understand what's going on, they are trying to report on a story. But at face value, the whole thing is pretty moronic. Kind of makes me wish for one of these people to get taken out by a flying stop sign, put an end to this kind of "reporting".
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Let's hope this thing dies down and spares lives and structures.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 am

So in atlanta everything is closed; i'm WFH and my GA Tech is closed for to days so my wife has a long weekend.

And...it drizzling with some slight wind, as far as i can tell, the impact inland in GA has been overstated so far. The grocery store was a nightmare yesterday. I went to get ingredients for dinner (and beer and wine) and it was a shit show, almost no bread, and definitely no water. F'n ridiculous. It felt like blizzard prep from living in the north east for so long.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Really windy and rainy here. Power out in places. Supposed to last thru tonight

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Closed the office at work and the power's out there. Strong wind gusts happening and was a little tricky driving home. I have a couple tall pine trees in the back yard I hope don't decide to bust down.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:21 pm

All my family is safe in Sarasota, though no power now. Hope your grandmother had no problems in Tampa, Jason.

That was a big one.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:24 pm

DougE wrote:All my family is safe in Sarasota, though no power now. Hope your grandmother had no problems in Tampa, Jason.

That was a big one.

Yeah she is fine, although w/o power.

On the lighter side my parents sail boat also made it through unscathed (although one dock fender did pop/deflate).

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”