Hurricane watch

jfurr

Hurricane watch

Postby jfurr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:07 pm

It's looking like hurricane Joaqin might miss SC but we are all stil freaking out. The other weather system to the west is causing a sandwich which they are saying will be legendary rainfall this weekend.

Got major concerns with this. Bracing up the office basement (where my servers are). Bracing up my band rehearsal room (which got a foot of flood earlier this summer), concerned over the music festival Saturday I'm supposed to do PA and sound on one of the stages, and my trip to Atlanta to see the band Luna tomorrow night and traveling back in weather on time to setup the sound gig.

Plus we've had a week if rain and everything is soaked already. Could damage golf courses, etc.

People are freaking a little here. It's like snow is coming or something.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Hurricane watch

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah my biggest concern are trees coming down. With 6 straight days of rain the ground will be supper soft. So any wind at all and trees will start coming down. Unfortunately the house we closed on in early August was in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of mature trees.

I'm heading to home depot tonight to see if they have any gas powered chainsaws left.

As for where it will hit I usually dont pay attention until it is within 3 days. From the 25 years I lived in Florida, I learned the weather people have a pretty terrible track record for predicting where a hurricane will go outside of 3 days.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 pm

I have lived my whole life in the southeastern U.S., from central Florida to New Orleans, with a lot of time in south and south central Alabama. I do not remember a time when the news coverage of these storms were as fanatical as it has been the last few year. It is almost like they are cheering for a monster storm to hit. Last week they were pumping up this thing in the gulf that was going to turn into a big storm and hit the gulf coast. Never got more than a few off and on showers here, maybe a little more rain in the panhandle, but not even a depression. I have yet to see anything other than a part of a cone (and not a big part) even coming ashore in the US. And now they have started moving the cone further east, but still seem to be trying to panic people. I know it is not the best thing, but it sure seems like these new and weather people are turning into the boy who cried wolf when it comes to these storms, and people will eventually tune them out, probably when there will be a huge storm.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 pm

People just like to panic. I'm guessing it has something to do with them being stupid (humanity as a whole that is). The news just gives them what they want.

The best example I can think of this was the summer of 2001. It was the summer of the shark. The news was reporting that people were getting attacked and killed everywhere. Then suddenly on September 11th the sharks quit attacking people.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:10 pm

OK everyone roll your pant legs up.

Some of the "models" I've seen today are troubling, provided there is any truth to them. But you can't trust those fuckers, we all know that. They just want you to keep the channel tuned to whatever.

Sandy was one of the memorable events of the decade I think. We lost power for 4-5 days. I was alone on our 10th floor apartment with the dog, who was still a pup at the time. It was an ordeal but whenever I look back on it I am like "That was fun!" Except for the crippling darkness and loneliness after the sun went down. It was like survival fantasy camp I guess. I cleaned out the fridge and lived on boiled eggs and bacon for the first few days. There was power above 39th street and everything was normal there, so once my food ran out I ventured into "Lightsville" and got some Chinese take-out. It tasted so good I almost cried.

So to be honest I have mixed feelings. If it turns out a re-hash of Sandy, with blackouts and storm surges and what not, part of me is like, bring it on. I know, easy for me to say as a non-homeowner. On top of all the fun, it turned out to be sort of a windfall because our landlord, probably having gotten some FEMA cash, actually deducted all those powerless days from our rent.
insufficient data

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:38 pm

What will be, will be.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Ha. What a bunch of BS! The weather channel keeps talking about the hammering the Bahamas is getting but the footage doesn't live up to all the hype. The local weather forecasters in the DC area have downgraded rain totals and almost sound like this storm is a big let down. Two days ago you would have thought it was the apocalypse.
Tee it up!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I hope it is all BS. This is what I am seeing. Bold emphasis mine:

Major Weather Event Friday-Sunday
HISTORIC WEATHER EVENT COMING TO SOUTH CAROLINA

What has the potential to take place in our state over the next 72 hours is beyond anything I’ve ever seen in my career.

NOW is the time to prepare for a life-threatening conceivable catastrophic rain event. The potential for Flash Flooding of epic proportion is extremely high.

Here is the set-up:

An area of Low pressure in the upper layers of the atmosphere will move into the southeast, it will position itself in south Georgia by tomorrow afternoon. The Low will tap deep tropical moisture from the Gulf and Atlantic…this will allow for rain to develop as the storm feeds on the moisture. The storm will be slow to move and will produce extremely heavy rainfall for hours on end. A forcing mechanism will feed in to the system providing all it needs to produce torrential rain.

As Hurricane Joaquin moves north, the system will tap some of Joaquin’s moisture as well, again, helping the system produce more rain. Depending on the track of Joaquin IF it makes landfall in North Carolina, this could add even MORE rain to the forecast (IF that would happen, this would be a cataclysmic event resulting in widespread death and destruction) My thinking is the Hurricane will remain to our north. However, just tapping into the moisture from Joaquin will make a bad situation worse.

Expect widespread significant flooding. Areas that flood with a 2”-4” rainfall from summer storms will be completely underwater with this storm.

The interesting thing is that most all of the models have not shifted from these record rainfall amounts and have been very consistent with each run.

Rainfall amounts Friday – Monday:

Northern Midlands and the Upstate: Generally 6” – 10” (some areas 14”+)

Central Midlands: Generally 6” – 12” (some areas 18” – 22”)

Southern Midlands: Generally 6” – 12” (some areas 14”-17”)

Costal Areas: Generally 6” – 12” (some areas 18” – 22”)

Average YEARLY rainfall for Columbia: 49.00”

It is VITAL that you pay close attention to the forecast. Those that know me…know that I’m not alarmist. I’ve never forecasted as such. Therefore, when I stress this has the potential to be life-threatening. Please take this seriously.
There will be many updates with this storm. I will provide you with the latest information I have.

Follow me here and on Facebook and Twitter:

Twitter: @TimMillerSC

Email: tmiller@wistv.com

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:13 am

John, how long can you tread water? Have you seen someone gathering animals two by two? or did you miss your memo?

MattF

Postby MattF » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:27 am

You might want to get a water transfer pump and a small generator, just in case.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:57 am

Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 am

jfurr wrote:I hope it is all BS. This is what I am seeing. Bold emphasis mine:

I guess it is on. I read the NOAA calling it a 1 in a 1000 year type event. I'm sorry Furr. Praying your gear doesn't get messed up again. You're probably busy right now but what's the contingency plan?
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:31 am

I packed everything up and put up high on shelves etc. backup plan us to bring it home if crazy things happen. Right now no rain.

The music fest has been moved to next weekend I was supposed to work tomorrow. All the events for this weekend are cancelled. Charleston is flooded from photos I have seen. I'm still going to Atlanta tonite. On the guest list to see Luna. I knew the bass player but haven't seen her since the 90's.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Damn it looks like Furrville is right the sweet spot of the rain storm. Ceebee might be getting hit hard too.

Missing the weather channel right now. My cable company got rid of it, now we have accuweather channel. Which is basically a bunch of semi-attractive women reading off webpages.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:44 pm

jfurr wrote:On the guest list to see Luna. I knew the bass player but haven't seen her since the 90's.

I hope they play that one song I like.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:47 pm

insufficient data

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:44 am

Furrville is getting hammered. Hang in there. Up here in the DC area three days of relatively slow, soaking rain. No deluge. Nothing like the relentless training across SC.

As bad as it is on the mainland, The guys on the missing cargo ship off the Bahamas must have gone through hell.
Tee it up!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:12 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jfurr wrote:On the guest list to see Luna. I knew the bass player but haven't seen her since the 90's.

I hope they play that one song I like.

The whole show was great. Honestly, better than I expected it to be. The band's performance, the songs, the sound mix, the venue, the crowd... it was just top notch. A lot more interesting guitar work than I was expected, and groovy chill flow. One of the best live shows I've ever been to.

This is the band's reunion tour after 10 years off. They were on top of the game last night.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:20 pm

So I'm back in Columbia SC and it's just light rain here. The predictions have changed they are now calling for the deluge to start tonite and continue through Monday. I checked out my rehearsal room. The rivers are high and the outside drains have water sitting a foot under the grates. Which means if it does half of what they are calling for it'll at least flood the outside area and I won't be surprise if also inside. But I have moved everything of value up high 3 feet + which I hope will be enough. What I'm banking on is the rain being slow, not in a big rush. The last time it flooded we got 6 inches in an hour.

So, while Columbia seems to still be escaping the worst, I am seeing and hearing of flooding in other areas and especially the low country (Charleston).

I hope it's all going to be nothing.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm supposed to play in a Charity golf scramble with a work team on Tuesday but I am kind of expecting (and hoping) they cancel it due to the course being flooded.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:56 am

Rained all thru night. Flooding in areas around the state is becoming more prominent. I'm ok, things on this side on the river not bad but I'm seeing sone pretty bad reports.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:34 am

New updates. Reports from my friends around town are crazy about floods. I'm still fine

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:50 am

Wow. Small dams and bridges failing. We are still good. I just drove around and practice room still fine. I'm amazed. Hoping this stays true. Seeing scary stuff in other neighborhoods .

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:27 am

Having bacon and eggs, biscuits, and a Bloody Mary right now. Listening to vinyl and watching the news.

The dam at Windermere golf course has broken.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 am

How is that Ark coming along?

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”