... about to put ______ in the video player

jfurr

... about to put ______ in the video player

Postby jfurr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Westway to the World - documentary of The Clash (iconic British punk rock band)
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: ... about to put ______ in the video player

Postby legitimategolf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:04 am

jfurr wrote:Westway to the World - documentary of The Clash (iconic British punk rock band)

Only a moderate Clash fan but I saw Joe Strummer and his band perform in NYC in '02. They played Walk on the Wild Side, Blitzkrieg Bop and a few Clash songs. Cool experience. Then he died a few months later. I was shocked cuz he seemed especially young and vital when I saw em.

Last week I caught that REM doc on MTV or VH1. I never liked them in their time but now I'm starting to appreciate. Kind of like the Smiths for me. Certain things just take time.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 am

this Clash video was somewhat interesting but mostly boring...

Hey the REM "accelerate" album back a couple years is superb. They had some stinky ones for a while. Before that stuff I love all the early records up to Green.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:17 am

legitimategolf wrote:I saw Joe Strummer and his band perform in NYC in '02. They played Walk on the Wild Side, Blitzkrieg Bop and ...

whut?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:27 pm

jfurr wrote:
legitimategolf wrote:I saw Joe Strummer and his band perform in NYC in '02. They played Walk on the Wild Side, Blitzkrieg Bop and ...

whut?

Yeah, totally unexpected. Mind you this was back when NYC had tons of cachet post 9/11 I guess. It was like a little tribute from Joe. That same year I witnessed another odd choice of cover song--Dylan playing the Beatles. Very weird. Touching though.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:25 pm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Watched a film last night that I still can't decide if I liked or not... it was called "History of Future Folk" -- a low budget flick about an absurd sci-fi premise but it was well acted and had cool music and didn't take itself seriously and I stuck with it. One of the most unusual movies I've seen. It was a dry satire with a feel-good flavor. I could see 7/10 people thinking it sucked but I kind of enjoyed it.

MattF

Postby MattF » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 am

Watched Snowpiercer last night for the second time...weirdish movie but not bad.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:14 am

I just watched Whiplash last night. Great movie well deserving of all the acclaim it has received, especially J.K. Simmons.

Also saw Sharknado 2 this weekend...a whole other kind of masterpiece (of shit.) So bad I couldn't turn away. Seriously. It was impressive how bad it was.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:19 am

I have always been partial to British police and detective series/programs/movies. Usually less action and more sleuthing. We have been watching an old series (circa 2007) set in the 1960's called, "Inspector George Gently" on Netflix. I also like a Netflix original series called "The Fall". 2nd season recently came out. First season was well done and I hope it continues to be good. A bit dark and violent compared to other series but that is likely because it is targeted to the USA.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Been watching American Horror Story with the wife. On season 2.

Also, been watching documentaries on Netflix after she goes to bed. Saw a couple PBS Frontline ones on North Korea and the Syrian conflict. Restrepo is next.

MattF

Postby MattF » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:19 am

bk,

Have you seen the "A Touch of Frost" series with David Jason? I loved that show and it's now available for purchase on Amazon Prime.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 am

MattF wrote:bk,

Have you seen the "A Touch of Frost" series with David Jason? I loved that show and it's now available for purchase on Amazon Prime.

Not yet. I will check it out.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Watched Casa de mi Padre last nite... Amazingly cheesy.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:42 am

Last Netflix movie was Act of Valor - thumbs down.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:58 am

Not sure this is the correct thread for this but I caught some snippets of the Grammy awards last night. (the Ms. was tuned in on account of fashion and shit). It was the usual orgy of preening, posturing, self-congratulation and shit auto-tuned "music" obviously... but hey, really enjoyed ELO! Even if I have no idea what they were doing there, performing forty year old music for an audience of Kanye West and his retarded fans. I heard that later in the show Paul McCartney actually performed with Kanye West. I have no idea how that went, but it breaks my heart. Paul is one of maybe five people in the history of the world who I idolize. Sad that his brain has turned to shit in 2015.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Couldn't bring myself to watch that mostly because of the Kanye types. Wish I knew ELO were going to play. Eldorado...

I'm a Beck fan but surprised he won. My wife called the St Vincent win a couple months ago and by golly she was right.

I love Paul's first record (I think it's the 'cherries' one). And of course Wings Band on the Run. I have a theory of Beatles fan development. At least this was mine: At first you love John, then get int the subtle genius of Ringo amd Paul. Then eventually realize Paul write the best songs.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Yeah, i got to see (mostly hear since i was doing other things) Kanye's first performance. I'll admit, i like some of his older stuff, first two CD's, they were pretty good (for current hip hop.) But what i heard last night was absolute garbage. Auto-tuned talking over a very lame beat while he stood there over a single spotlight in some bullshit outfit. I fully expected (naively) that reviews would reflect my same opinion. However, from what i read, 90+% of the reviews are gushing over his amazing performance.

What the F has happened to 'music' and it's 'fans.'

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:38 am

legitimategolf wrote:Not sure this is the correct thread for this but I caught some snippets of the Grammy awards last night. (the Ms. was tuned in on account of fashion and shit). It was the usual orgy of preening, posturing, self-congratulation and shit auto-tuned "music" obviously... but hey, really enjoyed ELO! Even if I have no idea what they were doing there, performing forty year old music for an audience of Kanye West and his retarded fans. I heard that later in the show Paul McCartney actually performed with Kanye West. I have no idea how that went, but it breaks my heart. Paul is one of maybe five people in the history of the world who I idolize. Sad that his brain has turned to shit in 2015.

I was able to talk the wife OUT OF watching The Grammys. We watched the movie, City Island instead. Good movie.
(we also watched Sinister the night before. Liked that one too)

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

jfurr wrote:Couldn't bring myself to watch that mostly because of the Kanye types. Wish I knew ELO were going to play. Eldorado...

I'm a Beck fan but surprised he won. My wife called the St Vincent win a couple months ago and by golly she was right.

I love Paul's first record (I think it's the 'cherries' one). And of course Wings Band on the Run. I have a theory of Beatles fan development. At least this was mine: At first you love John, then get int the subtle genius of Ringo amd Paul. Then eventually realize Paul write the best songs.

"McCartney" album. I love that one too. He recorded most of the tracks at home on 4 tracks, did all the piano, guitar, bass, drums himself. Then it all was probably mixed at Abbey Road of course, because it still sounds quite good. That's a pretty good Beatles theory. John's contribution was immense, but Paul was the driving force of the Beatles. Seemed like half the time Lennon's interest was elsewhere, but Paul was always committed to the ideal of the band. If not for him probably John and George would've gone off the deep end with Yoko and Indian music respectively and the group would've disbanded around 1968.

I liked Beck's Odelay and Midnite Vultures. I saw him perform in both of those periods and he was so good back then. Great band and the songs really cooked live. Showmanship, hits galore and everything. I tried to get into stuff like Mutations and Sea Change, but just didn't stick. I like the track "Golden Age" but not much after that.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:15 am

jattruia wrote:What the F has happened to 'music' and it's 'fans.'

Man, I wonder about that too, all the time. I guess it's devolving all the time. Rock and roll, the best music of all, is arguably a devolution from jazz and big band. So it's getting cruder and cruder. But also people just don't love or need music like they used to. Internet, social networks, cable tv, digital TV, youtube, podcasts... there's so many more things in the world now to help us not feel so alone. Also technology is severely fucking up the situation in that you don't need old-world musical skills to create "music" now. That tends to clutter the market with a lot of unhealthy junk tunes. Actually in most modern pop, the stuff that plays underneath the vocal track isn't even referred to as music anymore. They call em "beats".

Coda1850 wrote:I was able to talk the wife OUT OF watching The Grammys.

This guy gets it. The grammys is an intra-industry affair, why should that have any bearing on the public's enjoyment of whatever they enjoy. Exact same goes for the Academy Awards. I never understand why people get emotional when a movie they like either wins or fails to win some award.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 am

Watched Monster's Ball - good movie.
Also watched Maleficent - for what it is, it was good enough.

Mark unread?

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:33 pm

Finally started watching Breaking Bad. It's pretty addicting. I'm mid-season two I think.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:06 pm

jfurr wrote:Finally started watching Breaking Bad. It's pretty addicting. I'm mid-season two I think.

Breaking Bad is awesome. I watched the entire series last year.

Mark unread?

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm

The other night we watched the 'Final Cut' version of Blade Runner, with our elder daughter (she's 16).

She "sort of" liked it, but found it confusing and scary.

We thought it awesome.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”