Scot saying. Nae wind,nae rain, nae golf.

joe jones

Scot saying. Nae wind,nae rain, nae golf.

Post by joe jones » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Sunday at San Diego was unbelievable.What weather. Tory Pines South is hard enough under perfect conditions. The round that Brandt Snedeker had was one for the ages. Monday morning the weather was much improved but no one was able to take advantage of the conditions. The equalizer was the Poa Annua greens which can befuddle even the best putters in the world. Even when they are perfect they can be almost impossible to read. My experience has always been that you must be very firm with the short putts or they will not hold a line. Snedeker uses a short pop stroke that works for him and has given him great success on the west coast. next week at Pebble beach will offer another test on Poa. Should be interesting. I just hope the weather is better. This weekend was brutal to watch unless you are one that enjoys the pro,s being humbled by the wind.

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Scot saying. Nae wind,nae rain, nae golf.

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 am

I did kinda enjoy watching the pros have such a hard time. It was like watching so many of us on normal days.

That 69 of Sneds yesterday was unbelievable in those conditions. I expect another good round from him next week. Even today (Monday), with the conditions not even half as bad as yesterday, the the remaining contenders in the field struggled mightily. Before they resumed played today, it looked like there were any number of guys who could overtake Snedeker. By the end, only KJ Choi had a slight chance to take it to a playoff, but couldn't get his 130 yard approach shot anywhere near the pin in the swirling winds, to have a shot at the birdie which was necessary to tie.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:51 am

I'm with Doug in that I enjoy watching the pros play in tough conditions. I love it when they are like, "man, I had to hit a 3i into a par 4." That's life for the rest of us. And I prefer the tougher courses with the deep rough - the birdie fest tourneys are less interesting. And they still play impressive golf.

Those were about as tough of conditions as I've seen them play in. Snedeker's finish was fabulous and it was fun to watch the other guys hand on.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 am

I somewhat agree. I like it when there is a struggle, but this weekend was overboard. I also do not like it when Mike Davis tricks up the course to make E a winning score in the US Open, normally him doing this kills the course. Its like he has no regards for the people that want to play these great courses for the 6 months after the US Open.

I think the most enjoyable tournaments wind up with a winning score between 8 and 12 under. Those are the ones that seem to be tough but fair.
Keep it short stupid.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 am

Single digit under par is a great tournament & the right amount of tough. I like a Masters @ -6 to -8... toward -10-ish. The US Open I like @ the same range: -6 to -8 but toward the -4-ish range.

-20 is stupid. Never mind getting toward -30. Un-watchable. Rather play than watch that crap.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:39 am

Coda1850 wrote: -20 is stupid. Never mind getting toward -30. Un-watchable. Rather play than watch that crap.
The only thing -30 does is remind me how ridiculously good these guys are. I mean they are putting up those numbers with course ratings 77/145 which is insane.

The plantation course is 77.2/144. If you calculated spieths handicap based on his -30 there it would be a +14.3. So what he played lights out, its still insane to think at his best he is a +14 handicap.
Keep it short stupid.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Coda1850 wrote: -20 is stupid. Never mind getting toward -30. Un-watchable. Rather play than watch that crap.
The only thing -30 does is remind me how ridiculously good these guys are. I mean they are putting up those numbers with course ratings 77/145 which is insane.

The plantation course is 77.2/144. If you calculated spieths handicap based on his -30 there it would be a +14.3. So what he played lights out, its still insane to think at his best he is a +14 handicap.
Maybe it's rated wrong?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:36 am

Coda1850 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:

Maybe it's rated wrong?
Possible. But I think the real difference is that they don't make the course harder for the pros like nearly every other venue does. Plantation doesn't have the ability to grow the rough an extra inch or let the rough grow into the fairway by 5 yards on each side. Mainly because they don't have rough to do that with.

I've played at innisbrook and been to the tournament there. For the pros the rough is longer and the fws are narrower. But the course is rated for when I play it.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 am

Pfft. Didn't Ernie Els shot -31 on that same course way back in the telephone age. Pro golfers were great at golf then just as they were now. Jordan Spieth is really good but let's not get all carried away acting like he invented low scoring in golf.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Pfft. Didn't Ernie Els shot -31 on that same course way back in the telephone age. Pro golfers were great at golf then just as they were now. Jordan Spieth is really good but let's not get all carried away acting like he invented low scoring in golf.
I was not trying to insinuate he was the best ever. Just using a recent example to show how insanely good those guys are. And yes they have been insanely good for a long time.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:23 pm

One of the reasons I watch women's golf is that they are great but much closer to my level as far as distance. One sees a lot more skanky shots and interesting club choices. Watch the PGA players go for the green in 2 on a 613 yard par 5? Right, like I can relate to that.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!