50 Foods One Must Try in California

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

50 Foods One Must Try in California

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:07 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/r ... 29#image=1

Okay men from the left coast, true?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: 50 Foods One Must Try in California

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 am

I did Korean BBQ for the first time in my life this trip. It was good.

I can't stand in and out burger.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:18 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I can't stand in and out burger.
What's the matter with you. You don't like cooked-to-order burgers? Or you don't like fresh never-frozen beef, hand-leafed lettuce or ripe tomatoes? If you don't care for In-N-Out I can respect that, but can't stand? Unless you are a vegetarian that is cause for concern.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:13 pm

OK can't stand was an over statement.

They just have no options. I'm not a tomatoes person. So for me it is a cheeseburger with lettuce. I'd like some more options, like bacon, a different sauce, a different type of cheese, pickles, ect.

I tried the fries animal style and was disappointed with the cheese. It was just a Kraft single melted over the fries. Yes the sauce was good. But I think it's way way over hyped.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Jesus God, I can't imagine life without tomatoes. In-N-Out is a whole gestalt thing. If they added newfangled options like bacon, alternative sauces, chicken nuggets etc their whole appeal would collapse on itself. The beauty is in the details, as well as the narrow scope of options. Too many options at an eatery is not so good. Like at Five Guys. I've had good burgers there but what is the essence of Five Guys? It's kind of generic. I think what people like about In-Out is the result of a single-minded, obsessive dedication to a menu that's simple and old-fashioned and never changes. Maybe it takes a few visits to really appreciate.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:30 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/r ... 29#image=1

Okay men from the left coast, true?
Not going to dignify that with an actual response but what I will say is watch it with the listicles!!! That's not how we roll here. If you want to know about what to put in your mouth while in California you ask this guy. Or Dukes of Hazards. Or Sjduffers maybe.
Last edited by legitimatebeef on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A golfball wizard's

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Other than chains, such as In-N-Out and Philz Coffee, you would have to be in the exact area where these places are to have even heard of them. So, while I can confirm I like a few of these (the 2 mentioned and the Bouchon bakery), I have no idea about nearly all the others.

But, while in California, find and enjoy: a good sushi joint, a Mexican eatery (authentic), a French bakery, a great salad place, etc, etc... Of course, there are the classics such as steakhouse, Italian, Chinese, etc... but all those are available just about anywhere. California is very large, has a very diverse population and produces a lot of its food, so of course, there are all kinds of great food available, perhaps more than anywhere else (except New York perhaps?)...
I'm gonna go low this time...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:01 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I did Korean BBQ for the first time in my life this trip. It was good.
I ate a Korean burrito from a food truck in Durham NC when I was up there visiting. It was spicy and one of the most incredible and delicious things ever.

Then, when I got home that evening, it had ripped my guts to bits.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:17 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Jesus God, I can't imagine life without tomatoes. In-N-Out is a whole gestalt thing. If they added newfangled options like bacon, alternative sauces, chicken nuggets etc their whole appeal would collapse on itself. The beauty is in the details, as well as the narrow scope of options.
Guess I don't get it.

My favorite burger is bacon cheeseburger with BBQ and ranch. Maybe fried onions. To me it can't get too much more perfect. But I wouldn't open a restaurant that only serves that burger as I know my opinion doesn't match everyone else's.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Like SJDuffers said, most of those are very local. I've had like 6 or 7 of those 50.

We have great food here, yes, particularly Mexican food, which from what I understand from the interwebs, is not that great elsewhere?

I love In and Out for the reasons that Beef posted. For me, I think it's a textural thing. The perfectly toasted bun, the crispness of the veggies and the fresh taste of the meat. Yes, it's a limited menu, but you can order it however you want it and there's a 'secret menu' that opens up other options. I Plus, the restaurant is clean, the service is good, and it's cheap.

I was excited to try Five Guys, what with the whole Phil Mickelson 'it's better than In and Out' claim, but was a little bit underwhelmed. Plus, it's twice the price of In and Out.

I'm sure every region has it's own food specialties and things you can't get elsewhere (see my boiled peanut ravings in the other thread). America! Sheez-a-byootiful!
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:42 pm

jfurr wrote:Then, when I got home that evening, it had ripped my guts to bits.
:lol: Seriously though I have to ask what does that specifically mean? I am asking as someone with a pretty tolerant stomach.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:We have great food here, yes, particularly Mexican food, which from what I understand from the interwebs, is not that great elsewhere?
Noooo. Decent mexican food is a relatively new phenomenon in New York. And there's still nothing that comes close to Roberto's, Alberto's, or any of those wonderful indigenous So Cal taquerias. Nothing!!! I went to UCSD and the bulk of my memories involve going out late, late at night for beautiful burritos. :cry:
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:I'm sure every region has it's own food specialties and things you can't get elsewhere (see my boiled peanut ravings in the other thread). America! Sheez-a-byootiful!
Except the OC. That place is a wasteland of American culture.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Great Vietnamese food though.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:31 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
:lol: Seriously though I have to ask what does that specifically mean? I am asking as someone with a pretty tolerant stomach.
Imagine sitting up prone in the bed, your knees up against your chest, clutching them, as you writhe in pain as your bowels yaw and rumble very loudly like a wooden ship lost at sea, or an alien trying to hatch from inside. Indigestion, belching, going to the bathroom...

I still might do it again
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:18 pm

jfurr wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Imagine sitting up prone in the bed, your knees up against your chest, clutching them, as you writhe in pain as your bowels yaw and rumble very loudly like a wooden ship lost at sea, or an alien trying to hatch from inside. Indigestion, belching, going to the bathroom...

I still might do it again
If you watch south park think of the episode where Randy marsh and bono are competing to have the recard crap size. Hot hot hot.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Keep it short stupid.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:30 am

South Park is awesome.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:17 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:I'm sure every region has it's own food specialties and things you can't get elsewhere (see my boiled peanut ravings in the other thread). America! Sheez-a-byootiful!
Except the OC. That place is a wasteland of American culture.
I agree to a large extent, although I'm only vaguely familiar with south OC and the beach communities. I recently relocated back to Orange County (Old Towne Orange). I at least have a walkable 'urban' hub near me, vs living in total suburbia, although it's nothing like actually living in a real city.
Bluto did it