Live music--what is it good for?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Live music--what is it good for?

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 pm

NYC Indie rock heroes Yeah yeah yeahs in Brooklyn last night. Like the fifth time getting dragged out to see this band which I am not a fan of. (Ms Beef is though, and also I have a longtime friend who married their guitarist's sister) They have long since become a KISS-type nostalgia act. Rote stage antics, obnoxious lighting, "nobody rocks like New York City!" banter, shit like that. Of course, they can still fill up arenas and the faithful eat it up, so my criticism is completely worthless, I get it. I am in a very small demographic of maybe like 10-20 people, who have to put up with this particular band against their will.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 pm

I'm not into YYY's either. It's almost cool, but goes over the line into annoying. I just saw that The Pixies are coming to Charlotte with Weezer in '18. That seems interesting. I'm going to ATL to see Luna this weekend for the 3rd time. And hopefully go see BRMC in January. I saw Spoon a few weeks ago here at our Music Farm which is the premier venue in town now. They were fantastic, really nicely done show. I think the new album they put out earlier this year (Hot Thoughts) is one of the best alt/indie records of 2017.

I also have three gigs before the end of the year with three different bands - my own group which is still quite active, an old band I'm doing a farewell show with, and a new americana thing which I've only been involved with for about 3 weeks now.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am

jfurr wrote:I just saw that The Pixies are coming to Charlotte with Weezer in '18. That seems interesting. I'm going to ATL to see Luna this weekend for the 3rd time. And hopefully go see BRMC in January.
I passed on the Pixies earlier this year because Kim's not part of it. She is one of my idols. That's missing a huge piece of the puzzle. It'd be like, seeing Hootie without Soni, am I right or am I wrong here. The Weezer thing sounds interesting. They are weird though. That guy Rivers seems like he got lobotomized in the late 90s. First two albums I consider all-time classics, but I actually started to hate them after that very corporate rock green album.

Saw BRMC in a little club in LA back in '00 or '01. Jesus that is a long time ago.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 am

legitimatebeef wrote:I passed on the Pixies earlier this year because Kim's not part of it.
Saw BRMC in a little club in LA back in '00 or '01. Jesus that is a long time ago.
Good point I didn’t realize Kim wasn’t involved. I’ll skip it. Totally agree on Weezer. I bet BRMC in a small club was pretty great.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 am

jfurr wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:I passed on the Pixies earlier this year because Kim's not part of it.
Good point I didn’t realize Kim wasn’t involved. I’ll skip it. Totally agree on Weezer. I bet BRMC in a small club was pretty great.
Eh. BRMC are no JAMC, I'll tell you that.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Eh. BRMC are no JAMC, I'll tell you that.
JAMC are playing tomorrow in Atlanta but I can’t stay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:50 am

Huge, epochal show tomorrow night.

STEVEN

PATRICK

MORRISSEY

First time seeing him. If he doesn't go an extended Trump rant, I will be pissed.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Tonight's the night.

I'm....

so...

very sickened!

I am so sickened now!!!

A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:37 am

Live music-- what is it good for?

Morrissey was in good form and voice last night, but let's talk once again about the hornet's nest that is concertgoing in 2017. We were hemmed in by tards. The man and woman next to Ms. Beef spent most of the concert fighting with one another. Midway through one of them gets up in a huff, followed a couple minutes later by the other. Couple songs later they return, one at a time... and start fighting again. :fuckall

The guy on my left suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome. He wasn't shaking his leg in time to the music or anything, but during the more favored numbers, the tempo of it would speed up. So then I'm sitting there, my whole chair shaking in time to this guy's stupid restless leg. I actually considered trying to neutralize it with some vigorous leg shaking of my own. If all that's not enough, there's some idiot women behind us who somehow keep grazing the back of my head with what I assumed was a bunch of retarded gesticulating and interpretive dancing.

Finally let's talk about singing along at concerts. I really struggle with this. Few people like to sing along to their favorite records as much as I do. I'll even sing a cappella by myself walking down fairways and shit. Basically I go through much of life with some song or another in my heart. But when I buy a ticket to see a favorite artist perform, I pretty much don't sing along. A) I am there to hear the artist sing, and if I were to sing along, I'd mainly be hearing myself and how stupid is that and 2) nobody else wants to hear mine or anyone else's stupid amateur singing at a concert.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Saw Jonathan Richman with Tommy Larkin this past Friday night in Asheville. It was hilarious. Other shows coming to see are The Afghan Whigs and Built to Spill in Chapel Hill, and the Shaky Knees Festival in Atlanta which has a really good lineup.
F6AF2851-82F5-4574-B462-1870A94CEB98.jpeg
F6AF2851-82F5-4574-B462-1870A94CEB98.jpeg (304.34 KiB) Viewed 718 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Whoa that looks like a pretty cool festy even if I'd be totally out of my element. I recognize like 5% of those names. Night 3 looks the best right? The return of the D! And the BRMCs. Also wouldn't mind seeing Cake. I didn't like them in the 90s but when I hear some of those songs now, they are quite good.
A golfball wizard's

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:27 am

Wow, i never pay attention to the atlanta festivals; they're usually groups i've never heard of or don't want to see. But this one has plenty.

I think saturday would be the day i'd want to check out. Might have to look into this. Thanks for posting!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Let me know if you are going we will hook up. I rented an AirBnB towards little 5 pts.

BRMC cancelled the Charlotte show due to flu so I got a refund on that since I’ll catch them here.

Yeah definitely more acts I’m interested in that typical at these things.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:24 pm

I opened for Cake once in an old band.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Don't think we'll be going; got too much going on lately. But we'll be in town. Let me know if you have time for a beer or two while you're in the area. I'm always available for a tasty beverage.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue May 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Shaky Knees was awesome. Sorry we didn’t hang, was pretty tied up. My favorites were Chicano Batman, and Courtney Barnett.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:26 am

Tonight it is Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox. Not sure what to expect but it should be interesting.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Jeff Lynne and Electric Light Orchestra are coming to NYC. Up in the air because Mrs. Beef might be out of town. Not going to go by myself. Same thing happened a couple months ago, I ended up going to see the Trashcan Sinatras all by my lonesome. It sucked. Standing in a corner near the bar all night sucking down whiskey and soda trying not to look like a complete loner psychopath. Now I am generally a loner and don't mind being alone, but in this particular type of scenario, felt sad.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:40 am

ELO? You gotta go man.

BTW I’m coming up Oct 18-20 but no time for golf this trip

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 am

I’m coming to see Timber Timbre in Brooklyn then heading to Boston to see Courtney Barnett. She’s rocking my world right now

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:48 am