Live music--what is it good for?

jfurr

Re: Live music--what is it good for?

Postby jfurr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:13 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Not the same drummer from "Something about Mary"?

Ahh -- cool!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:21 pm

Mixing three sets tomorrow (St Pats Fest) on that tiny stage in the distance. It's going to rain though. Worried.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:09 pm

Weatherman lied - it was mixed overcast and sunny and warm. Thousands (like 30K+) of people flooding the area, I haven't been to the St Pats Fest in about 12 years, and it was way larger and crazier than before. I couldn't believe the drunkenness and the litter. I worked my ass off from 9am until I got home at 7:30pm. I was mixing local bands on that tiny little stage but there were several huge stages for the larger acts. I guess the biggest names were Drive By Truckers, Shovels and Rope. I misplaced four new vocal mics at the last gig I did apparently, and freaked out a minute when I was setting up but a friend brought me some loners. Between the mic loss and the rental PA I had to get (larger FOH than what I own was needed) there went the profit.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:25 pm

What a raw deal. Everyone likes music but almost nobody understands the labor that goes into making and presenting it. Someday they're gonna be sorry. :problem:
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:26 pm

These are mostly pics of the bigger bands from the show, but an idea of the scene

http://www.seanrayford.com/blog/2016/3/ ... h-carolina

Imagine the smell of beer, porta johns, and chicken wings in the air

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:58 pm

jfurr wrote:These are mostly pics of the bigger bands from the show, but an idea of the scene

Rock on, Columbia!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 pm

jfurr wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:
jfurr wrote:These are mostly pics of the bigger bands from the show, but an idea of the scene

Rock on, Columbia!

holy shit these pictures are embarrassing
https://flic.kr/p/Fsut7s

and the review:
http://www.free-times.com/blogs/live-re ... nts-032116

(the Party Mood section with the "Harper's Stage" is the section I was working. Yes it did sound cool :ugeek: )

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:41 pm

... did sound Thursday for monthly "First Thursday" cultural thing. Made some nice walkin' around money. Friday went to see Jonathan Richman -- wow it was hilarious and cool. I'm pretty sure he improvised at least half of his set. Also, really unique way of doing sound - he had a mini condenser mic on the middle of his vocal mix stand, and would alter his (nylon strong classical) guitar distance or position to get different tones, in a way that an electric player might use pedals or something. Often, he would just walk out in front of the speakers with no amplification at all, just singing and playing to the small, intimate crowd. Tony, the drummer, was like the percussion version of Keith Richards. Credit though, really steady, on the beat, maybe not so much walking around. Hard to describe. Very glad I went.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:51 pm

McCartney is coming around to the stadium where the New Jersey Giants play. Might have to splurge for some nosebleed seats. So I can sing NA NA NA NA NA NA NA at the top of my lungs while crying. McCartney is a godlike genius. The Beatles were basically messengers of God. So for me seeing McCartney would be the closest thing to touching Jesus's hem.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:07 pm

McCartney show should be awesome. He came through here a couple months ago and some coworkers went, they loved it. I saw him back in the early 90's at the football stadium which was good music but it was before all the current huge TV screens and light shows. Have fun.

I'm going to see Steve Martin tomorrow in Atlanta.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon May 09, 2016 10:42 am

Just returned from an awesome trip to Austin TX saw a few good shows. Luna at outdoor stage downtown venue, and Junior Brown at the famous Continental Club. Plus misc other random street bands not to mention Salt Lick BBQ the best brisket in Texas.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 am

jfurr wrote:Just returned from an awesome trip to Austin TX saw a few good shows. Luna at outdoor stage downtown venue, and Junior Brown at the famous Continental Club. Plus misc other random street bands not to mention Salt Lick BBQ the best brisket in Texas.

JuniorBrown the guit-steel guy? Remember him from my Guitar World readin days.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:39 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jfurr wrote:Just returned from an awesome trip to Austin TX saw a few good shows. Luna at outdoor stage downtown venue, and Junior Brown at the famous Continental Club. Plus misc other random street bands not to mention Salt Lick BBQ the best brisket in Texas.

I can't believe I have actually been to a concert featuring a musician that you two have heard of. :shock:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:

I can't believe I have actually been to a concert featuring a musician that you two have heard of. :shock:

The very one and only!! My wife is a huge fan. I've seen him maybe 4 times in SC but she saw him countless times when she lived in ATX back in the 90's. She would see him at the Continental Club on Sunday nights for $3 cover and probably dollar draughts. Small, awesome music club. He played all the classics.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon May 09, 2016 7:54 pm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon May 09, 2016 8:04 pm

crazy introduction, but good Junior and Tanya Ray stuff

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sat May 14, 2016 1:00 am

Did live sound tonite AND double booked as one of the bands for the quarterly Arts & Draughts event. I've been busting my ass all day - working 1/2 day then left at noon: pickup up our new merch (shirts), built a merch stand, packed up all our band gear(except drums) PLUS my whole PA system, setup, mixed the first band, setup our crap, played show, sold a few shirts, packed everything up, unloaded at band room, arrived home 10 hours later. It was fun but I'm bone tired.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon May 16, 2016 6:54 pm

On my way to Charleston to see STRFKR. I'll be "that guy" for sure, the oldest guy in the room. Whatever.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:14 pm

jfurr wrote:... the oldest guy in the room.

Wrong attitude. The wisest and most knowledgeable guy in the room. C'mon Furrman, age has its good qualities.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon May 16, 2016 10:51 pm

jfurr wrote:On my way to Charleston to see STRFKR. I'll be "that guy" for sure, the oldest guy in the room. Whatever.

Have no idea about these people, their fans or what they sound like, and I am trying to imagine a scenario in which Jfurr is the oldest person at a live gig. Weird. What is this like skate punk pop/core or something? Talk about ageism, I am really out of touch.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 pm

I've been doing more live sound mixing. Making pretty decent cash, so it's hard to turn down. Plus there is always the challenge of the unexpected and the possibly annoying situations, but all has been well so far. Mixed a small outdoor festival last weekend. Setup and did a sidewalk gig thing with my own band Tuesday afternoon on Main street downtown. And I just agreed to fill in at one of the local well established old and crusty rock dive bars (New Brookland Tavern) to run sound this Sunday night. I have performed on that stage many times (since about '99) but this will be my first job as "the house soundman". At least I'm old enough now that the young kids in these bands might fear me as some kind of old grizzled stagehand and take my word for stuff. Even though I'm not. Joking aside, I think it'll be kinda fun and I know I'll do a good job. Money not as good as when I haul my own gear and do an event, but still it'll be a good experience I think.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:21 pm

jfurr wrote:I've been doing more live sound mixing. Making pretty decent cash, so it's hard to turn down. Plus there is always the challenge of the unexpected and the possibly annoying situations, but all has been well so far. Mixed a small outdoor festival last weekend. Setup and did a sidewalk gig thing with my own band Tuesday afternoon on Main street downtown. And I just agreed to fill in at one of the local well established old and crusty rock dive bars (New Brookland Tavern) to run sound this Sunday night. I have performed on that stage many times (since about '99) but this will be my first job as "the house soundman". At least I'm old enough now that the young kids in these bands might fear me as some kind of old grizzled stagehand and take my word for stuff. Even though I'm not. Joking aside, I think it'll be kinda fun and I know I'll do a good job. Money not as good as when I haul my own gear and do an event, but still it'll be a good experience I think.

I envy you man. Manning the boards. It's a wonderful craft. I imagine it being a lot more fun in the digital era, lot less patch cables and masking tape and what not. Are you offering any DJ services? Seems like you could fold it in to some of your gigs, no? I.e. someone has to play the rekkids before the performances start.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:13 pm

We are listening/seeing "Cubanismo" this evening.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:35 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:We are listening/seeing "Cubanismo" this evening.

They were good. I also discovered there are a lot of people more rhythm-challenged than I. One guy in front of me was like a broken watch, he was on beat at least once or twice a set. ;)
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:01 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:We are listening/seeing "Cubanismo" this evening.

They were good. I also discovered there are a lot of people more rhythm-challenged than I. One guy in front of me was like a broken watch, he was on beat at least once or twice a set. ;)

Couple years ago I saw Willie Nelson at Radio City. The clapping was horrendous. Not one person in the whole place would clap on the 2nd and 4th beats. :fkno I was the only one.
insufficient data

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”