Live music--what is it good for?

jfurr

Re: Live music--what is it good for?

Post by jfurr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm

The sound gig went pretty good. I showed up and discovered the front center stage monitor was dead. At some point during the hardcore punk show the night before it got busted. I did some troubleshooting and finally isolated the issue to being the speaker line from the power amp to the wedge, it had gotten pinched and crushed under the mains cabinet. No spare, so I had to improvise with the SL and SR wedges moving them around depending on the bands. But aside from that everyone sounded great and I had a lot of compliments on the mixes. It was fun. I'll do it again if they need me again, but I certainly don't want to do it every night!

I also played saturday night with my group up in Charlotte at a awesome place called Snug Harbor and we were well received, sold some merch, etc. Got home at 3 AM. Between all this I barely had time for sleep this past weekend not to mention think about golf.

Hope to get out this holiday weekend.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Playing in Charleston SC this weekend.
Running sound again at the outdoor museum gig the following.
Going to see Kraftwerk in DC over Labor Day.
Playing in a reunion of another old 90's band I was involved in in Sept.
other shows coming up I want to see:
Violent Femmes
Die Antwoord
Built to Spill

Bob Dylan is coming back to the Township here in Columbia. The last time was 25 years ago -- and I was part of the opening act... maybe I'll go again.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Saw Die Antwoord last night in Charlotte it was very entertaining!
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG (807.42 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:04 pm

jfurr wrote:Saw Die Antwoord last night in Charlotte it was very entertaining!
IMG_4285.JPG
The other day I was listening to Axis: Bold as Love and I wondered: "Is Jfurr really not a fan of Jimi Hendrix?" I will be honest, it is a question I have pondered more than once.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jfurr wrote:Saw Die Antwoord last night in Charlotte it was very entertaining!
IMG_4285.JPG
The other day I was listening to Axis: Bold as Love and I wondered: "Is Jfurr really not a fan of Jimi Hendrix?" I will be honest, it is a question I have pondered more than once.
Nope. Never liked Hendrix. Or Clapton.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 am

jfurr wrote:Nope. Never liked Hendrix. Or Clapton.
That's not a good comparison. In fact it's faulty to the max. That's like saying "Feh, I don't care for the Beatles, OR Herman's Hermits for that matter." In fact I am now personally offended. Clapton, the John Mayer of his time and that is being kind.

I am still baffled. I could understand not being a Hendrix guy but to have no appreciation? I simply do not understand it. :fk The guy had such a broad musical vocabulary, and also pioneered so much in the way of electric guitar technique.

I want to say, maybe it's just a case of checking out some deeper cuts beyond Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Watchtower and all the other played-out classic rock radio hits. For instance "3rd Stone from the Sun"... that to me sounds like something a Jfurr would consider a classic, what with its surf guitar motifs, sci-fi shenanigans and far out feedback jams. If you are open to it I would love to send you some tracks. :fkno
everyone is gay

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:36 am

Nobody beats Sinatra ... ha ha ha! :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:That's not a good comparison. In fact it's faulty to the max.
Probs so - but an honest mistake if incorrectly categorized. The surf/ufo/freakout guitar stuff is def up my alley. I just don't like the vocals and the "groovy" late 60's stuff. I'm sure I'm not giving it a fair shake.

things I would consider mainstream "Classic Rock", like and dislike categories from the late 60's thru early 70's:

Like:
Beatles
The Kinks (!!)
Stones (to an extent)
Pink Floyd (mostly early and Syd stuff - up to maybe Final Cut)
Neil young
Bob Dylan
Donovan
velvet underground

middle of the road:
Led Zeppelin

Dislike:
The Who
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Grateful Dead (exception "reckoning" type more rootsy stuff)
The Doors (mostly dislike Jim)
The Band (overrated)
Steppenwolf

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:02 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Nobody beats Sinatra ... ha ha ha! :yess

This guy, though. Might be the most talented of the 'Pack.

https://youtu.be/USxvJFfKXrE

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:16 am

just worked a all evening outdoor 4 band rock/punk/metal show with a bonus indoor hip-hop band. How the hell did I end up a soundman?

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:08 am

Live sound last night, quarterly event. Today is big all day, two stage music fest. I think I'm on job to manage the B stage (help bands on and off).
IMG_4332.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1121 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Going tonight to see Richard Ashcroft, former frontman of English psycheddad-rockers the Verve ("Bittersweet Symphony"). Was once a fan, saw the Verve back in 1997 but feeling pretty meh right now.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I mixed a show last saturday as a fill in sound dude at the hip club. Fun to go hang out, do something I like, and get paid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Next sound gig will be our album release party which I'm hosting as a pseudo backyard hootenanny, but at a bar with a outdoor small stage. Then a posh main st event the next weekend. I'm doing live sound now about every 3-6 weeks on average. Just enough to put some cash back into the fun times piggy bank.

Also got tickets to see Spoon in Charleston and also Columbia later this year. Also going to see Timber Timbre in NYC. And David Sedaris - author, not musician.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:25 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Going tonight to see Richard Ashcroft, former frontman of English psycheddad-rockers the Verve ("Bittersweet Symphony"). Was once a fan, saw the Verve back in 1997 but feeling pretty meh right now.
Jesus H Christ that was maybe the most self-indulgent platitudinous long-winded performance I've ever seen by a singer-songwriter. Couldn't make it through the whole thing.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

While the annoyance with Richard Ashcroft is still fresh I will post this for your consideration.

You've all likely heard the Verve's smash hit from 1997, "Bittersweet Symphony". You've probably not heard the composition on which "Bittersweet Symphony" was based, and because of which the Verve were forced to surrender all musical credit to "Jagger/Richards". This is the orchestral version of the Stones' "The Last Time", released in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVuh1Ymve2I

If you were the judging ruling in this case, who would you award the songwriting credit to?
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Going to see Spoon Friday night in Charleston. Then, coming back home and playing a gig at a festival mid-day on Saturday. The headlining band is The Spin Doctors. We are on the big stage too but a few slots earlier.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed May 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Just go ahead now! :thrust
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun May 07, 2017 4:52 pm

File May 07, 4 23 01 PM.jpeg
File May 07, 4 23 01 PM.jpeg (156.38 KiB) Viewed 752 times
It was pretty fun, but despite being on the "big" stage of the three stages at this festival, the sound mix for the bands was awful all day. Next time if we get to do it again, one of the side stages closer to the food stuffs would be better. The main stage was down on one end by itself and the crowd was thin until right before the headliner. The crew for SD's were kinda douchey and blocked off the backstage artist tent, which was supposed to be for all the bands, with barricades and handwritten signs that said "Spin Doctors Only!!!". :roll:

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun May 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Rock on!!! Breaking out the new guitar for the big stage I see.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Rock on!!! Breaking out the new guitar for the big stage I see.
yeah I had to bust out the lil Ric -- damn sweet

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 am

Going to see Paul McCartney (formerly of the Beatles) on Friday.

In my worldview this is one of the most important people in the history of the world, so in that sense I'm excited just to see the guy with my own eyeballs. He is up there with people like Bob Dylan, and Jesus.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Tonight's the night! Can't wait to sing along to all the classics!

"Everyday she takes a morning bath she wets her hair, wraps a towel around her and she's heading for the bedroom chair, it's just another day"

"Mull of Kintyre, o mist rolling in from the sea!"

"Freedom, talkin' bout freedom, I will fight, for the right, to live in freedom!"

and so on
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Okay, I'm back. Eh. Eh. I got bored midway through. We leave before the encore so as not to get caught in the crush of 20,000 people trying to exit the building at the same time, and then trying to get a cab out on 7th ave.

I was a little bit sad at how unmoved I was at seeing this great icon of the 20th century. Then again we were seated up against the ceiling of Madison Square Garden. So high up, and so far stage right that we were blocked out from even seeing the video screens.

I didn't like the band, especially the drummer. He is a successful session player with big credentials and all but with McCartney I just couldn't get into what he was doing. Very busy, too much bass drum, big sloppy open hi-hats all the time and never a simple groove. Then again PM has been playing with this same band for a long time, I've heard them plenty and never really enjoyed the sound.

I thought it would be more of an emotional experience. Then again it's McCartney. I've heard plenty of his live albums and he has been blanding it up since the 80s at least. Offering the same kind of watered-down Beatles nostalgia trip this whole time. He is a populist after all, always has been. When the rest of the Beatles said "no mas" in 1966 to live performing, Paul wanted to carry on. And during "Let it Be" he tried to pull the band back out on the road again. That's probably the main reason the other guys got all annoyed with his ass.

At one point last night he did a uke version of the Beatles' "Something" which really just made me think back to seeing Dylan in this same arena back in '02. It was right after George Harrison passed, and Bob said a few words about his "great buddy" and then launched into "Something", which is a weird song for Bob Dylan to play, a very memorable concert moment.

HIghlights: Paul singing John songs like Hard Day's Night and Day in the Life. Also pullled out a rare Band on the Run track that I like even if the vocal (like most of the songs) was sort of out of reach for a 75 year old Paul.

edit: just read that Bruce Springsteen and little Stevie or whatever came out for the encore. I missed out on a big time superstar cameo. Eh.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Okay, I'm back.
Just saw your post. I just got back from a very underwhelming out of town trip to see a band myself.

Yeah I saw PM here in Columbia, was a fun show but also kinda underwhelming.

Last night I saw B-52's with the Atlanta Symphony. It was so un rock and roll.