The Injury Thread

jfurr

Re: The Injury Thread

Post by jfurr » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Anyone know what this stuff is called and where to get a product someone said is like a superglue you can use to close a cut? I cut the "web" between two of my fingers on my left hand and I have a gig this weekend and it's being a pain healing. Someone suggested this stuff but I haven't seen it.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:19 pm

jfurr wrote:Anyone know what this stuff is called and where to get a product someone said is like a superglue you can use to close a cut? I cut the "web" between two of my fingers on my left hand and I have a gig this weekend and it's being a pain healing. Someone suggested this stuff but I haven't seen it.
New-Skin Liquid Bandage?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:39 pm

I've heard just super glue works too. I haven't tried it
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:59 am

Third day since my back tweak. Tried chipping. Ouch, but can deal with it. Tried putting. Ouch, but acceptable. Still hoping for a Sunday afternoon round this weekend, but it may not be smart if I do. I'm in a wait and see mode now. Stretching, back roller, high doses of Ibuprofen, Icy Hot-type patches, hot hot showers, etc. Getting frustrated. Want to play. :fk

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:05 pm

4th day out. Bad. Probably made worse yesterday by trying to swing a little. Hit some easy irons and then tried a driver swing. Really felt it. 1/2 hour later felt even worse. Me so stupid. :facepalm
I have the impatience of a 6-year-old. Any chance of playing Sunday is likely out the window now. This feels like at least another week.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 am

DougE wrote:I have the impatience of a 6-year-old.
You need the golfer equivalent of a "Dog Head Cone". Something that is installed on your body to prevent you from swinging a golf club.
dogcone.jpg
dogcone.jpg (5.59 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Day 5. No improvement. :thumbdown:

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Day 6.

Still no improvement to speak of. May have to see a physical/massage therapist. Might go see my chiropractor first to see what he thinks. Either way, can't see playing golf for at least another week, or God forbid, even longer.

I had been striking my irons very well until this injury. I am so afraid during the forced time off that I will forget the subtle little moves that have been working so well in my swing. :notgood

Woe is me.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:47 pm

DougE wrote:Day 6.

Still no improvement to speak of. May have to see a physical/massage therapist. Might go see my chiropractor first to see what he thinks. Either way, can't see playing golf for at least another week, or God forbid, even longer.

I had been striking my irons very well until this injury. I am so afraid during the forced time off that I will forget the subtle little moves that have been working so well in my swing. :notgood

Woe is me.
Sorry to hear that, D

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:06 am

DougE wrote:...Still no improvement to speak of.... I am so afraid during the forced time off that I will forget the subtle little moves that have been working so well in my swing. :notgood
You are doing the right thing in resting. You will solve this issue sooner than you imagine.

As to forgetting the subtle little moves that have your swing grooved, I know it is no consolation but you would have forgotten them with or without the injury. One immutable law of the golf swing is when you finally have it figured out, you have 2 weeks or less until it is gone. :school
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:One immutable law of the golf swing is when you finally have it figured out, you have 2 weeks or less until it is gone. :school
Oh so true in most cases, but these little nuances were almost to a point where they happened on their own. I had been striking my irons as well as I ever have for a couple months. If I had 3 fat shots in the last month I would be surprised. Been on or close to center contact on every shot. Rarely had a bad flare or weak swing. Only some pulls that traveled too far. Part of it has been as a result of my better body turn and weight transfer which will certainly be affected by this injury. In fact, I would not be surprised if the better body turn started taxing these muscles more and my core just couldn't keep up due to lack of conditioning of those back muscles. I will be working on my core more in the home gym each day once this heals enough to allow it.

BTW, it happened a week ago. Day 7. Not as bad as yesterday, but not close to playable. May try chipping and putting later on, after some Advil kicks in. Between the loss of Daylight Saving Time, the temps down in the 30s at night, frost when I wake up, and the fact that I don't know when I'll be able to play again, I am becoming quite irritable....and depressed. I go out in the garage each day and look at my clubs, talk to them a little, and maybe even pet them lovingly, which I realize makes it that much worse. (I know, I know. That's a post for the Winter Support Group thread.)

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:48 am

DougE wrote:...in fact, I would not be surprised if the better body turn started taxing these muscles more and my core just couldn't keep up due to lack of conditioning of those back muscles.
Interesting observation. I recently experienced the same thing. I tend to stand a bit too upright. Last couple rounds I have made a conscious effort to stick my butt out more and angle my torso better so my arms hang straight down. The result was:
Much better ball striking :yess ...
and I got a stiff neck and my right shoulder area feels like I slightly pulled a muscle. :fk
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:30 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
DougE wrote:...in fact, I would not be surprised if the better body turn started taxing these muscles more and my core just couldn't keep up due to lack of conditioning of those back muscles.
Interesting observation. I recently experienced the same thing. I tend to stand a bit too upright. Last couple rounds I have made a conscious effort to stick my butt out more and angle my torso better so my arms hang straight down. The result was:
Much better ball striking :yess ...
and I got a stiff neck and my right shoulder area feels like I slightly pulled a muscle. :fk
Same thing happens to me when I make changes.

I'm working on flattening out my swing in transition. To do so I'm changing my "feel" so that it feels like my right elbow is going to hit my left thigh, instead of hitting my right hip. This is causing the muscle under my right shoulder blade to be sore after going to the range.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Chipped for 1/2 hour and putted for 15 minutes. Felt a little discomfort at first. Then decided to try a full shot with a 54 degree wedge on the range. Might be too soon. More discomfort than chipping. No surprise. Hit only 3 full wedge shots and decided not to push it. There was some progress today. Finally.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Swinging while in pain or discomfort for me tends to lead to a new swing flaw lol
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Yay! Got back out there today, finally. 11 days of recovery. Did a bunch of yoga stretches beforehand. Tested it out on the range. A bit tentatively at first. But, within 10 minutes was taking full swings with mid-irons and hitting them well with no bad pain, though I was aware of a bit of tenderness in the offended back muscle. After hitting some real satisfying drives, I was pretty confident I could try to play some holes. Ended up playing 14 holes, but could have played all 18 if the sun didn't set so early. I am somewhat encouraged I can get back to playing 2-4 times a week, at least as long as the weather stays cooperative. :yess

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Oh crap. This was not in my plans. I just got back out there on Friday after a two week layoff for my back muscle pull/strain (seen above on this thread) :x

Today, I ruptured my right gastrocnemius muscle, which before today, I did not even know what that is. It's the main calf muscle connecting your knee to your achilles tendon and ankle.

I hit my first drive of the day off the first tee left and halfway down a steep incline. Couldn't really see the pin from where I was, so when I hit my 6 iron approach I rushed up the hill to try to follow its path. No problem, except the draw I hit (somewhat due to the hook lie I had) went left and down the steep hill to the left of the green. Hit a lob wedge up and onto the green, then walked quickly up the steep hill basically on my toes, really stretching the backs of my calfs, but, no problem.

Okay, so hit my drive on the 2nd and also pull-drew it left and halfway down another steep incline. Hit a 5i from there, but again over cooked it from the similar lie to the first hole approach shot, and it rolled off the left side of the green and 10 yards down a steep hill. And again, hit an easy lob wedge up and onto the green. Picked up my putter which I had laid alongside me and took two steps up the hill when all of a sudden I heard a "thwack" and felt what I thought was a golf ball hit me on the back of my calf. I turned to see where it came from. There was no golf ball, or anyone hitting from behind me. All of a sudden it dawned on me that it was a feeling coming from inside the back of my calf. I took another step and basically fell to the turf. My buddy was sure I was having a heart attack. The pain was excruciating. I got up, but could not use the leg. I was done for the day, and based on the information I have so far, probably for the rest of the year.

I am home now, icing, waiting for my wife to get home. Going to a walk-in clinic (though for me it will be a hop-in clinic), which hopefully can get me an emergency appointment at their affiliated orthopedic medical practice.

Interestingly, when I pulled my back muscle a couple weeks ago, I felt a very minor version of what I felt today. When that muscle pulled, the feeling of it letting go was somewhat subtle, a few minutes after I actually over-swung from the deep crap and ultimately caused the injury. Today, there was nothing subtle about it. I heard what sounded like a large rubber band snapping and the thump of what felt like being hit with a golf ball on the fly. Anyone standing next to me would have heard it too. I knew right away, this was serious. But the initial issue likely started by walking and or running up the steep hills from the unfortunate positions I hit my previous shots on the 1st and 2nd hole. Talk about a rough start. Unfortunately, it looks like a rough (and surprising) finish to my season. :fkno

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Oh no! Holy shit man that sounds terrible. I'm sorry to hear this, brother.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:57 pm

DougE wrote:... I ruptured my right gastrocnemius muscle, which before today, I did not even know what that is.
It is all Trump's fault! Any idea from the medico's as to the rehab time? Operation or just rest? While it is never great to get injured, this time of year is always a bit better than August. Follow the Doctor's orders and maybe you will return with Dustin Johnson legs. :thumbup:
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Bad news indeed Doug. Don't see how we will hook up any time soon. Guess me and Charlie will trudge on.

Obviously Trump's fault.
Tee it up!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Ouch! Best wishes for a prompt and full recovery, hopefully when spring comes around. If so, you will only have missed a few months of poor weather conditions. Good luck!
I'm gonna go low this time...

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:14 am

Sorry to hear that Doug. Your description of what happened made MY butt pucker.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am

MattF wrote: made MY butt pucker.
TMI! ;)
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:22 am

Oh man that sucks.

Hopefully you have a quick recovery and a short memory. When I recovered from a broken arm I was scared to make contact with the ground for about a dozen swings, blading everything. I eventually took a full wind up swung as hard as I could let go with my right hand (broke left arm) and stuck the club in the ground about 2' behind the ball. I did this to get over the fear of re-breaking it.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm trying to look at the bright side. I usually enjoy when Mr. E's posts here, and now he will have more time, and probably more impetus to share his thoughts with us over the next few months.
Build a bridge and get over it.