I am bored with TV/Cable

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

I am bored with TV/Cable

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:29 am

Any recommendations? I am literally going to bed at 9:30 or reading a book because nothing grabs my interest. In fact, last evening I really wanted to hit the bed at 9:00 but I thought the wife might think I was ill.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: I am bored with TV/Cable

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:51 am

I got rid of cable. We get everything we want (sans some live sports/news) for $80-$100/month.

Definitely recommend getting rid of cable. Wish I had done it years ago. Its super easy to do, my wife actually likes it better and it took 8 months of me badgering her before she caved and told me "just get rid of the cable if it will make you shut up."
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm not bored with it yet because I am kind of a luddite, and I tend to use the tv mainly to chillax, to lull me into a state of relative calm so that I can go to bed. I'm set in my ways, I'm still entertained by Seinfeld reruns. I can see how people are getting bored with it though. The mrs. no longer channel surfs, it's all Netflix and on-demand. My continuing to use the cable TV feels like some kind of signifier of being old and out of touch.
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:20 am

We got rid of cable for 18 months until SWMBO's bitching wore me down, plus it was costing about $60 a month not to have it. Now we're back with Dish and it's $83 a month for peace and quiet.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 am

The one human behavior that absolutely never made any sense to me is the practice of channel surfing. Flipping through channels haphazardly without ever pausing long enough to really get involved in whatever is on seems to have absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

I'm glad to see the practice has largely disappeared.

My problem is that if something is on the TV, I'm almost guaranteed to be riveted by whatever it is unless it's something I've seen many times already (like a lot of commercials). So my solution? I simply don't watch TV.

I cut the cord in 1994. And then I went to work for the cable company in 2000. Even after getting cable for free, I still never watched TV. I still work for the cable company, but now I live off plant. Works fine for me.

I laugh when I hear people say things like "I don't watch much TV. Maybe an hour or two a day, but that's it."

I watched an hour or two of TV *last year*.

But I resubscribed to Netflix early in the summer to watch House of Cards. I just finished season two, and that 30 hours of TV watching over the last three months is more TV than I have watched in the last three years.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 am

i haven't had cable in a while, but with college football season here i needed something for live games. I get the basic channels over the air so we can see news and whatever else might be on. But, i just bought SlingTV. For $20 a month you get ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, and a handful of other stuff. This is definitely enough for me. It'll get me through NCAA Football and The Walking Dead when it's back. Plus, they have a deal that if you pay 3 months up front, you can get a new appletv for $60 off which is well worth it since i needed the upgrade.

Might be worth checking out.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:37 am

I have some questions about sling TV.

Is it only live ESPN shows. Or do they store all shows so can you see everything that aired in the last ____ hours?
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:21 am

Antenna/over-the-air digital, plus a Amazon FireTV stick for streaming stuff.

Downside: no ESPN or Golf Channel for serious sports fan.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:32 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I have some questions about sling TV.

Is it only live ESPN shows. Or do they store all shows so can you see everything that aired in the last ____ hours?
I just had an orientation meeting on Sling TV at work today.

I'm actually thinking of getting it just so that there is something to watch on TV when I have company.

To answer your question, it depends on the channel. Most of the "premium" channels, like ESPN, only offer live viewing, so I would definitely not get it if that is an expectation. It's probably the primary reason I won't get it. In my opinion, not being able to watch video programming "on demand" is obsolete.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:26 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I have some questions about sling TV.

My subscription (the basic one) comes with ESPN and ESPN2. From what i can tell, there's no on demand type programming. But, i basically got it for live sports. Pretty much the only other thing that airs on ESPN is Sports Center, and that's on repeat all day anyway.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:53 am

So when I went to tell my cable company to shove it. They had another "ultra basic" package that was $5/month more than just internet. I asked them if it counted as a "cable contract" which would allow me to get Watch ESPN. They said yes, so I actually didn't completely get rid of cable. I just have no need for it other than it allows me to get ESPN for $5/month. Which is way better than the price of Sling.
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Looks like some of the apps on the FireTV Stick are subscription, so like for $3 a month can get the HBO content etc. Others require your cable login ID.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:45 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:So when I went to tell my cable company to shove it. They had another "ultra basic" package that was $5/month more than just internet. I asked them if it counted as a "cable contract" which would allow me to get Watch ESPN. They said yes, so I actually didn't completely get rid of cable. I just have no need for it other than it allows me to get ESPN for $5/month. Which is way better than the price of Sling.
Which is very awesome because it costs your cable company more than $5 a month for you to have ESPN.

A cable company's biggest expense, after programming, is getting that pipeline into your home. That's why bundles are so damn cheap.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 am

I tried the free one week trial on Sling tonight to watch the 49ers game. The experience was less than stellar. I'm not a newbie to streaming video, either.

The buffering and tiling was pretty much horrific. I won't become a regular subscriber until they improve the product.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am

On the F U cable front... YouTube TV, coming soon to an interweb near u.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 pm

YouTube TV...with really only ESPN and the four major networks.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I need a way to catch the new Twin Peaks series...