Guitar talk

jfurr

Guitar talk

Post by jfurr » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Okay I'm gonna go ahead and bring up one of my other long time loves... guitars, guitar playing, neat and weird guitars and etc.

I have a small collection but don't own anything super fancy. I prefer cheap and interesting/quirky stuff as opposed to a 10,000$ collectable closet queen. I've been adding a few things the past few years and part of the fun for me is to find something at a bargain and set it up for a particular use. Specifically different string gauges and alternate tunings.

Anyway, this is my new toy, a surprise last weekend from my wife for an early xmas gift this year, a 12 string semi hollow Danelectro 12 string. I just got the retro looking white strap which I think matches pretty cool. The bridge on this is a really smart design which allows to intonate all 12 strings. Everything sounds so groovy on it :ugeek:

Any other guitar geeks out there?
12_string_dano.jpg
12_string_dano.jpg (185.14 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: Guitar talk

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Kewl guitar. Reminds me of Jimmy Page. Maybe he played the 6-string though. Jangle on dude.

I'm a guitar guy. Bare bones collection. I have a electric, '03 SG special, a 90s Takamine acoustic and an early 00s Jazz bass. The six-strings are both very dear. The SG, they still make them but no longer with the ebony fretboard. It is a huge difference between that and rosewood. So mine is somewhat rare among this model. Crescent moon inlays. (should just post a photo right). This guitar changed my guitar playing world. The body is thin, light but amazing resonance. Unplugged, this is the loudest solid body guitar I have ever heard. Stock pickups are sort of muddy and probably need upgrade but the natural tone of the guitar itself is superb, still can't get over it. I was reading Tolkien when I got this which led me to dub it "the elvish guitar". :roll: The acoustic is just a cheapish model that has always had good intonation and boomy tone and by now sounds nice and worn in. The bass is whatevs.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Post a photo of the SG.

I had a old SG for a while until I foolishly sold it to a buddy. Mine was a junior I think, the only difference it had only the bridge pickup and one vol one tone control. It had been refinished so wasn't collectable or anything. I remember it really had a great acoustic resonance kind of like you are saying. I believe it is due to the height of the strings being so far above the body.

I have a 80's Ric 360 which has a pretty good unplugged natural acoustic sound but does not compare to the Gretsch cheapo I got last Dec. This little Gretsch (I for get the model number... its a "electromatic" dual cutaway hollow body). Anyway, it has a awesome ambient sound. Plays great too. I would love to have a fancy vintage made in USA authentic Gretsch but honestly I don't know that I deserve one, and I'm just fine and happy with the new "Fender owned" Gretsch imports. I had one Gretsch before Fender bought then I bought about 10 years ago that was a total POS and I sold it on eBay.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Yes, post a pic of the SG!

I have:
  • A Fender Strat - Japanese, so not notably valuable. Resprayed from red to black, so now I call it my Guinness Guitar
  • A Westfield Les Paul copy - Sunburst. It's good enough.
  • An Aria Urchin - Red, evil looking. This was my first good quality guitar, which made a HUGE (beneficial!) difference to my playing after years of playing a...
  • Satellite Les Paul copy - black, such a poor quality guitar, nothing good to say about other than it was my first guitar...and therefore I still own it.
  • Martin electro acoustic - red
  • A Celebrity Ovation electro acoustic - roundback, which is a PITA (the shape of the back, I mean). Bought for me for my 21st birthday by my parents.
  • A 12 string acoustic - red (I honestly don't have a fixation for red guitars, it just worked out this way!) Hard to play, but they make a wonderful noise don't they?!
  • A bass guitar - can't remember what make and I can't be assed to go upstairs to look. It was £99 about four years ago, and a bit of a bargain.
  • An classical/spanish electro-acoustic - again, can't remember the make,not great quality, cost about £100 about three years ago.
  • A travel acoustic guitar - about 2/3 full size. Neat to take on holidays.
My wife also owns a semi-acoustic 'jazz' guitar with violin style cut-outs, and a black Vintage acoustic guitar which I bought for her birthday about five years ago. Dead cheap at about £70 but pound for pound is probably the best value guitar in the house. It's an amazingly good guitar: easy to play, good intonation, and, best of all, a wonderful tone.

Here a some photos of my Aria and my lovely Fender Strat: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9332168@N ... 691372287/

Love guitars. That's an order.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Here is another cool cheap guitar. It's made by The Loar and it's a replica of early gibson style 00 sized parlor guitar. Neck is wide for fingerpicking style, which I am not good at. I got tired of the big dreadnaught look and sound. This has a interesting small boxy sound. That pickup rocks too, its a Baggs active model and I installed it myself without ruining anything. Added strap peg and a retro thin leather strap. It's probably supposed to be used for blues, lightning hopkins style but I strum it hard which has a neat kind of overpowering of what its supposed to do feeling. A harshness in a good way, if you know what I mean. Overdrive.

I got this one used for $266
the_loar.jpg
the_loar.jpg (227.6 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
got the idea from Justin Townes Earl

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:55 pm

JPJ wrote:Here a some photos of my Aria and my lovely Fender Strat: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9332168@N ... 691372287/
That Urchin is a demon guitar! I like the strat. I have a similar one. For years my main "ax" was the strat. I have a matching pair of American Standards I bought in the late 90's; one cream-white, one black, that I used to have a spare. I was always busting strings so had the extra springs in the tremelos to lock them down tight.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:40 pm

jfurr wrote:That Urchin is a demon guitar!
Yeah! It's nice to play but the electronics (the pickups) aren't very good, sadly.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I used to play a lot. Very much out of practice. I occasionally pick up an acoustic to sing a few songs until my finger tips start to hurt. For some reason, I can't ever get the fingernail on my left index finger short enough anymore. I cut the tip off of that finger dicing peppers about 15 years ago, when I played for at least a couple of hours every day. Back then, it never got in my way. Today, that little hollow spot on that finger creates a tremendous amount of trouble especially when trying to finger an open C chord in standard tuning. Either the first or third string will touch my index finger, and sometimes I can't even depress the string enough to get a vibrant tone.

Anyway. my current wrenches include my old standby, a Takamine Jasmine from the early 90s that I traded in all of guitars I had back then in for. I also have a Samek acoustic that's easier to play but doesn't sound quite as nice. I have an Ibanez four-string bass guitar that I bought to fill in some depth when I make tracks using Audacity. I have a cheap Washburn electric that I got for less than $100 about ten years ago, but it stays in tune. I have a Soprano ukulele, a baritone ukulele, a cheap violin that I've never played, two mandolins, a Yamaha electric piano, and about 40 different harmonicas (Hohner Special 20s are my favorite).

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Bryan K - I have a Tenor Uke which is fun to play but I don't know exactly how to play Uke-songs, I just play guitar chords and inversions.

Here is one more. I purchased this 360 6 string Rickenbacker out of the trader paper in the early 90's. I'm not sure the year of the guitar I am going to guess between 83-87. I think I paid $400. It's definitely road-worn. Had a bunch of nicks and was repaired by a previous owner with what looks like fingernail polish. I busted the original pick guard during a overexcited rock-out moment on stage, and got that white piece to replace it from a shop out of VA, the dude said he pulled it off an old parts guitar from Fugazi but I don't know if I believe him. The pickups are stock and weak. I play this one mostly for the weird looking factor, never really got the jangle out of it I expected. At the moment I have it strung up with a bunch of alternate string gauges and in a odd open tuning I stole from one of Sonic Youth's many tunings.
ric.jpg
ric.jpg (180.78 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:06 pm

jfurr wrote:The pickups are stock and weak. I play this one mostly for the weird looking factor, never really got the jangle out of it I expected.
Sounds a lot like my friend's experience with a Ric bass. Looked dead cool, and he always wanted to like it more than he did I think. Thing was heavy and uncomfortable and the tone was shit. I get the feeling that Ric put out a lot of shitty instruments, Beatles, Byrds, Tom Petty etc notwithstanding.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:07 pm

This one came from my wife's grandfather. Unknown guitar but I suspect mid 60's either Kay, Harmony, or maybe a Silvertone. It was refinished by him - the neck with new lacquer and the body appears to have been painted by hand with that flat brown, which I think looks pretty cool. I haven't done anything except a new set of strings. With modern phosphor-bronze strings and the way I play, it's really loud. I bet with the vintage strings and playing soft swing jazz chords it was pretty sweet. I tune it on open D. I'd like to get a brass slide for my pinky finger to try to learn some licks on this with.
arch.jpg
arch.jpg (141.79 KiB) Viewed 4444 times

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:35 pm

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (75.43 KiB) Viewed 4426 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Classic SG there. I've never seen the moon fret markers before.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 pm

OK.... I know this is getting boring now...

One more. This is my imported Gretsch, its the 5422T. Actually I thought it was the 5422TDC but I just looked at the sticker down in the sound hole, and it is the 5422T. I don't know the difference, so guess I'm not missing out on anything. :|

I got it about exactly a year ago. It sounds great and plays wonderfully. I suppose compared to the expensive american made models and the vintage models, it would be a stiff plasticky feeling replica, but it still works and sounds good. The only peeve is the bridge is floating, and it has a tremolo, which means after several weeks it can slip out of position and intonation. Next time I restring I'm going to put some double-sided tape under it to hold it down once I set the intonation back properly.
gretsch.jpg
gretsch.jpg (215.64 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:48 pm

maybe if my house burns down I can use this thread for insurance purposes

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:02 pm

:)

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:10 pm

sometimes my gear geek side goes out of control and I watch like 10 of these rig rundown videos in a row... here's a nice one featuring Mike Campbell's stuff

[youtube]
[/youtube]

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:27 pm

This one is excellent - the incredible Nels Cline demos some of his instruments

[youtube]
[/youtube]

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Ordered a brass slide for my own personal stocking stuffer. Also ordered a compressor pedal which after watching Nels' rig rundown I realize it's almost required to get the electric 12 string bold chime (if you don't have an AC15 cranked :))

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Hope it's a MXR Dynacomp. Love that pedal!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:03 pm

legitimategolf wrote:Hope it's a MXR Dynacomp. Love that pedal!
It came down to a coin toss. I had the MXR and the Boss in the cart. I know the MXR is the classic. In the end I went against the grain and got the Boss CS-3 since it has more features. I've had my eye open for a used dyna comp for a long while but they rarely show up.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:21 pm

bryan k wrote:I used to play a lot.... when I make tracks using Audacity.
So are you still recording stuff? What kind of material are you into / recording?

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:46 am

jfurr wrote:
bryan k wrote:I used to play a lot.... when I make tracks using Audacity.
So are you still recording stuff? What kind of material are you into / recording?
Most of what I do these days is karaoke recordings where other people do the music track. Sounds stupid, but it's kind of fun. I used to upload stuff to youtube, but I stopped doing that when I realized I was never going to become famous. The benefit I get out of it is that it helps me to refine my singing voice, and singing was the primary reason I started to play musical instruments in the first place. I love to sing, and I don't think a person truly learns how to sing until he has to sit and listen to his voice over and over until being able to get it right.

I still have a couple of recordings somewhere of original stuff that I wrote where I play all of the instruments. I never learned to play drums, though, so there isn't any percussion. Most of what I play is folk music. I'll turn music from all kinds of genres into folk songs. I also have an old 8 mm recording of the one show I did back in the '90s that drew more than 20 people.

It's been more than 15 years since I actually ever played for anyone. I went about 10 years in that span where I never even picked up a guitar.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:45 pm

I record primarily using a DAW called Reaper, which is lesser known but very powerful. The creator was the guy who created WinAmp back in the day. It is incredible as a multitracker, for signal routing and customization. In the last year I have been switching over to learning Ableton Live, partially just for the challenge because Live is such a total mind warp when working in the session view mode, which is nonlinear and unstructured, and doesn't replicate a 'tape recorder' format like other DAW's. So, for now I use use Reaper for multitrack recording, and Ableton Live for midi and electronic sequencing-type production.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm

bryan k wrote:The benefit I get out of it is that it helps me to refine my singing voice, and singing was the primary reason I started to play musical instruments in the first place. I love to sing, and I don't think a person truly learns how to sing until he has to sit and listen to his voice over and over until being able to get it right.
That's cool, man. By far singing to me is the most difficult and frustrating element of my music making attempts. I wonder if it's like having a good golf swing, some people just 'have it' and others don't have a clue...