Guitar talk

bryan k

Re: Guitar talk

Post by bryan k » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:37 am

jfurr wrote:
bryan k wrote:The benefit I get out of it is that it helps me to refine my singing voice, and singing was the primary reason I started to play musical instruments in the first place. I love to sing, and I don't think a person truly learns how to sing until he has to sit and listen to his voice over and over until being able to get it right.
That's cool, man. By far singing to me is the most difficult and frustrating element of my music making attempts. I wonder if it's like having a good golf swing, some people just 'have it' and others don't have a clue...
I don't know...I think singing, or playing music in general, is one of those things that take a lot of work no matter who you are. Sure, there are people out there who have a head start because they start with a beautiful voice. But every professional musician I know, including teachers and instructors, all insist that natural talent doesn't even get you close. Even the most amazing naturals work their butts off to get to that next level.

We went to see a professional violinist last week who has only been seriously playing for a couple of years. Everyone in my group commented on what a natural talent she must be. The only thing going through my mind was that I bet she was putting in 30-40 hours a week to hone her craft.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:19 pm

got a used AC-15c1 off craigslist today... tasty lil amp.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Noice, enjoy some cranked clean tones.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Might as well finish up what I started... here are a couple more....

This heinously ugly guitar is a Squire Tele I picked up last summer used for $125. It's ugly as get out but so solidly built and pickups are fierce. I have this one strung with alternate string gauges and tuned to a Thurston Moore tuning.

The artwork on this lil guitar was done by Shepard Fairey. Not his finest work for sure. I suppose he's most famous for doing the iconic Obama "HOPE" poster graphic (the blue and red one... everyone has seen it) and for which he was sued by the AP or Getty for using the image without license. He was already a well known underground street artist so this only feed fuel to the fire of his publicity. I myself knew him from his "Andre the Giant has a posse" sticker campaign. I was a skater/music type in the late 80's and traveled to Charleston and got to know a bunch of dudes there. I moved there in 89 right after Shepard moved away to fame. But I already had been given a stack of his stickers and swag from the locals. Actually just last year Shepard did a series of city art installations (large scale wall murals), I'm going to get over there this spring and scope them out and take some pics.

Anyway, ugly guitar, but cheap and loud.
Stele.jpg
Stele.jpg (189.62 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Here is my matching pair of Fender American Stratocasters. I got them at the same time in the 95-97 time range I think. These were my main gigging guitars so that I would have a spare backup as I was always busting strings at the bridge. I had the bridge saddles filed and worked on but it was because of poor (aggressive) technique I think. Anyway, bought them both new. The black one has a lot of road wear. Literal road wear from being in a soft carry bag and flying out of the back of my truck bed at speed on I-77 on the way to a gig in Charlotte. The white one has a lot of discoloration and grime from neglect over the years. Guess they both do. When I got them new I immediately replaced the bridge position pickups with those little rails humbuckers, but a couple years ago installed the stock pickups back in there. The pin up gal decal transfers were from my wife then gf from a vintage guitar shop in Austin when she was there on tour with our friend Danielle who was there at SXSW and went out guitar shopping and bought a sick '60's Jazzmaster.
Wstrat.jpg
Wstrat.jpg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Bstrat.jpg
Bstrat.jpg (163.81 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
more later...

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:18 pm

That's a skanky tele. For a long time I owned a 90s Am Std Strat. Black with rosewood board. My first nice guitar--I was in high school and at that time the black strat was my idealized guitar, that I dreamed about owning since I'm six years old watching early MTV. Looking back I never really jived with it though, and eventually we went our separate ways. Couple things I do like about that model though--the locking strap buttons and the stainless steel bridge.

Let's talk about strings as I'm about to replace some. I have strong opinions on strings. For me they have to be round core, nothing else will do. Majority of strings available are hex core though, I think. So not much choice. GHS Boomers, some Dean Markleys. But the best are probably "DR" brand. I think they mostly deal in round cores. The last set I put on the SG were pure nickels, which is supposedly the old style of string from the 60s and beyond. Nice and mellow sounding but I'll probably go back to the nickel-plated steel. More bite. For the acoustic I use DR "sunbeam" bronze strings. If you've never tried, I strongly recommend them. Superior strings in every way--sound better, feel better, tune better, last longer. You can't lose.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:34 am

I've never tried the pure nickel, but from the descriptions seems like I wouldn't like them - too mellow I prefer more of a bright attack. I've never tried the DR brand but I might give them a look. I've been kind of habitually using the same stuff for years. Ernie Ball slinky (10's) on electric and John Pearse (med-lite) on acoustic.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Try DRs. "Tite-fit" for electric and "sunbeam" for acoustic. I INSIST.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I checked a couple local shops but can't find those particular DR strings. I'll order a set of the acoustics to try on my Loar.

After listening to that Love record the other night I had to dig out this 12 string acoustic from the back corner of the closet. It was still pretty much in tune which surprised me. Nothing special really, just a Seagull S12 which I got used on Craigslist but it sounds and plays good in addition to the tuning benefit. I forget what I paid for it, something like $200. I wouldn't mind installing a pickup but haven't had the need to use it in a live setting yet.

Last night I learned "The Red Telephone" off Forever Changes on it.
s12.jpg
s12.jpg (186.72 KiB) Viewed 4716 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Does not go to 11

Marshall 100W JCM 900 slant half stack. Actually been mostly unused for the last decade. Letting a buddy use it now for rehearsals. Come to think of it he was the previous owner. Can't decide if I want to sell it or not...
marshall900.jpg
marshall900.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 4699 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm

Here's the lil Vox AC15 - I sprung for a case. Loving this little tube amp so much.
ac15.jpg
ac15.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 4687 times

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 am

If its a 100w marshall, it does go to eleven arguably, even if the numbers don't. You still can get that push over the cliff if you want it. Ridiculous power. I say sell it if you haven't been using it. It's a great amp but it's a bread n butter classic, you can always find one if you need it. You can buy a ton of fun gear with the funds.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm

jfurr wrote:
the_loar.jpg
got the idea from Justin Townes Earl
To win, follow @justintearle, @TheLoarOfficial & @LRBaggsOfficial, on Instagram, tag 2 friends, and repost this photo with the hashtag #GuitarWorldGiveaway

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:43 pm

We had a unbelievable rain this Wednesday night -- 6.25" measured at Brookland-Cayce High School a few blocks from our band practice space. The street runoff drains clogged up and we had a foot of muddy water flood our practice room. I spent the entire day yesterday cleaning the disgusting mess. Carpets, couches, drum cases, drums, speakers, monitors, my recording PC, everything soaked. Hopefully the gear hardware will be okay if I let it all dry out for a few days. No guitars stored down there, but I did recently purchase, a week ago, a bunch of new powered PA speakers as I'm going to start doing a little bit of live sound on the side here and there. So all my new speakers got soaked. Great. I also lost my 15+ year old collection of spare Ernie Ball Slinky singles strings, approx 100 pcs, that stinks.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:49 pm

jfurr wrote:We had a unbelievable rain this Wednesday night -- 6.25" measured at Brookland-Cayce High School a few blocks from our band practice space. The street runoff drains clogged up and we had a foot of muddy water flood our practice room. I spent the entire day yesterday cleaning the disgusting mess. Carpets, couches, drum cases, drums, speakers, monitors, my recording PC, everything soaked. Hopefully the gear hardware will be okay if I let it all dry out for a few days. No guitars stored down there, but I did recently purchase, a week ago, a bunch of new powered PA speakers as I'm going to start doing a little bit of live sound on the side here and there. So all my new speakers got soaked. Great. I also lost my 15+ year old collection of spare Ernie Ball Slinky singles strings, approx 100 pcs, that stinks.
Awful. Hope you can salvage most of it. Can the electronic/powered gear survive once it's dried out?

What is up with these biblical proportion rains lately?

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:14 pm

I know y'all likely don't care one bit... but the rebuild of my flooded practice space continues - and getting better. Dry now, rearranging equipment, first test of a powered monitor tonite - it works. Going to compare to a non-flooded similar speaker tomorrow to make sure it not only works but sound response is correct. Have two more powered speakers still under fan air to dry out. Whoot-- And I got a gig running sound at a small festival in two weekends on the 20th. Will take 3/4 my rig plus a hired out front line (subs/tops/main amps).

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:22 pm

I just pawned my Fender Champ 600 tube amp. Gonna get me a Roland Cube. I know, going from tube analog to digital. On the surface of things that is kind of sad. But let's face it, that Champ wasn't working for me. At low volumes, there is practically no tone to speak of. I'm sure if you replace the tubes, the stock speaker, as well as the speaker grill cloth, and then crank it up to 10, it can sound good. But that's not gonna work for me. Modern amp modeling technology is pretty good. Plenty good enough for me to use in my home jam sessions. I'd rather have an emulation of a cranked blackface Fender, at bedroom volumes. No brainer. Plus Boss/Roland makes good stuff. I've been using my Boss GT-8 as a preamp anyways.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Hendrix would never play digital !

;)

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Had another PA rental / sound man gig Saturday. Went very well. With the travel and everything it was a 7 hour shift. Made some good side cash though.

Have a new musical/recording project with a singer in Atlanta. She and I are collaborating online which is working surprisingly well. It's indie dance music that you classic rock guys would hate. It's fun to make though.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:34 pm

jfurr wrote:Have a new musical/recording project with a singer in Atlanta. She and I are collaborating online which is working surprisingly well. It's indie dance music that you classic rock guys would hate. It's fun to make though.
Might have to make a trip to ATL and set up a round with Jay.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:28 pm

jfurr wrote:Hendrix would never play digital !
Not so sure about that. I always felt that if he was still alive today he would've done all kinds of stupid stuff by now like endorsing bad products, collaborating with no-talent assclown flavors of the month, re-working his classic songs into contemporary renditions, dabbling in hip-hop, generally shitting on his legacy.

In any case I picked up a 40-watt Roland Cube. Tone is passable and I like the features and general design, but 40w is still way too much. Can't get a proper tone at bedroom volume. Thinking of getting the 5w micro version. I have realized that I have never even come close to attaining the tube tone of my dreams, there is no way I am going to find it living in an NYC apartment and that I should've sucked it up and gotten a practical modeling amp years ago. So my tone sucks, so what. It's all about trying to squeeze some fun out of the guitar, that is literally the entire point for me now.
jfurr wrote:Have a new musical/recording project with a singer in Atlanta. She and I are collaborating online which is working surprisingly well. It's indie dance music that you classic rock guys would hate. It's fun to make though.
You would be surprised at some of the stuff I secretly enjoy. Katy Perry. There's even a couple of songs by some abomination known as "Nicki Minaj" that I don't turn off when they come on the intranet radio. Let's hear what you're working on!!!
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 pm

well ok I will. Still early stages. but yeah, okay I'll share when something is ready

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 am

Gig this Saturday -- I'll be setting up and helping with sound at a gig/private party. Three bands, the third band I'm sitting in with to do some synth, sound effects, and lights for a cover set of the whole Dark Side of the Moon / Pink Floyd album. My friend rented out a local brewery/brew pub for his wife's birthday party.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:58 pm

The "Floyd" gig was a blast and everything went off great. Did a 16 multi-track live recording also, so will mix that down with the GoPro videos and make a video for the guys. We had a very pro rented stage and at one point 10 players on stage. I worked my ass off.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:53 pm

jfurr wrote:The "Floyd" gig was a blast and everything went off great. Did a 16 multi-track live recording also, so will mix that down with the GoPro videos and make a video for the guys. We had a very pro rented stage and at one point 10 players on stage. I worked my ass off.
Dang I had been thinking about that. Haven't posted much since I've been traveling. I love Dark Side. As far as complete albums go it's one of my favorites. Anytime I hear that intro to Breathe, I am taken away. The whole album, every note works!

What parts did you play?
A golfball wizard's