Guitar talk

bryan k

Re: Guitar talk

Post by bryan k » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 am

I bought a few guitars in my life. I started on a Fender Squier Strat. The first "real" guitar I bought was an Epiphone Dot hollow body electric-acoustic. It was marked at something like $850 at the music store. I wasn't really intending on buying it, but the salesman kept dropping the price more and more and more and more. I ended up walking out after paying somewhere around $400 for it. The thing was a total piece of crap. It needed work just to be playable. The pickups had absolutely no middle sound to them whatsoever. I sold it on Craig's List for $100 before I moved cross country, and I picked up a cheap Washburn electric after I moved for that $100. The Washburn was brand new when I bought it, and it sounds a million times better than the Epiphone.

My baby, though, is a cheap-ass Takamine Jasmine acoustic that I have logged hundreds upon hundreds of hours on. There is a story behind that guitar. It doesn't sound the greatest, but if feels awkward to play anything else.

So one day back in about 1995 or so, I saw an ad in the paper about some rural folks selling a classical Yamaha acoustic guitar. Well, I always wanted an acoustic guitar, so I made the trip out the middle of nowhere (a town called Enderlin), and I shelled out $75 for this little baby. After about three weeks of trying to play it, I decided that the thing was broken. So I brought it to a local music store (was called Marguerites...don't know if they are still open or not). I told them to see about repairing it. I had no intention of selling it because I didn't think anyone would actually *pay* me for it. So they took the guitar in back, and I wandered around the shop. I saw my pitch black Takamine Jasmine sitting on one of the used racks for $350. I picked it up and played it for a while. Back then, my biggest criteria for how good a guitar was involved how long I could play it before having to tune it. I played this baby for a good 30 minutes before the B string started to sound wonky. Funny that it's always the B string. And it always goes sharp. I could never figure that out.

So I chatted up the salesman a little bit trying to negotiate the price. I figured that if I could get them under $300, I would walk out of the store with that guitar while tossing the Yamaha in the dumpster. The store *would* *not* *budge* on the price. They wouldn't even throw in an extra set of strings or a strap. Heck, they still charged me the $5 it cost to put a peg in to hang the strap from. Meanwhile, they were taking forever with my Yamaha. It must have been an hour. I played a dozen different guitars, but I kept coming back to the Takamine simply because it was the best guitar in there for my price range.

The store manager finally came out. They said that they weren't done estimating what it would cost to repair the guitar because it needed some serious work. However, they also said that they were prepared to offer a trade-in credit instead if I wanted an answer right away. Here I'm thinking that they were going to offer like $20 or something. Nope. They offered me $300, I ended up throwing in the Squier Strat, and I happily walked out the door with my Takamine Jasmine, a gig bag, a strap, and a peg to attach the strap to for no money out of pocket. They still made me pay for the strings, the bastards.

What I ended up selling them was a 1967 Yamaha CG3. But it had a cracked veneer and a warped neck. I can't imagine what they ended up salvaging out of the thing. But the thought also occurred to me that they may have been willing to pay $300 for parts on a guitar like that.

Given the condition it was in, I am still happy with the deal I got.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 am

Enjoyed your story, and I know very little about guitars. I would say they are somewhat akin to fine art.

I have owned and played guitar, piano and drums, but that was in another life, decades ago. If you put a guitar in my hands today, I may be able to play a few chords off the top of my head, but that's it. G,C,D,A minor and E minor. All other chords would require a memory refresh.

I had a gorgeous black Kawai baby grand, back in the 90s. I didn't really know how to play it. I bought it to occupy a perfect space in my brand new town home at the time. Then I learned to tap out a couple tunes. It looked and sounded great. I played horribly. I eventually traded it for a season's worth of slip space at a marina for my boat. Retail value for the slip: $4200.00. Bought the piano for nearly $10K two or three years earlier. It was still in perfect condition. The marina owner won out on that one.

I actually could play drums pretty well. Was a snare drummer in a competitive drum & bugle corps as an adolescent, into my mid-teens. I also had a pretty cool Gretsch drum set and played in a couple rock bands until I was about 18. Never went any further. Have no idea what ever happened to my drum set.

I hear Beef's starting up a band. JFurr's on board. I might sit in on drums. You in Bryan?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:55 am

So my only guitar knowledge is that Gibson is headquartered in Nashville.

It has the WORST reputation for accountants in that area. Supposedly the CFO is a nut job, and basically every person I met swore up and down working there was the worst place to ever work. This is coming from people who were putting in 80-100 hours a week doing public accounting for a big 4 firm. Stating that working in public was cake walk compared to working at Gibson.

So I'm glad to see there aren't too many people talking about how much they love Gibson in this thread. Although I know nothing about the quality of their guitars (other than they are made from illegal African wood, lol).
Keep it short stupid.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm

DougE wrote:
I hear Beef's starting up a band. JFurr's on board. I might sit in on drums. You in Bryan?
Sure. Would be a heck of a commute, but I can sing and play some rhythm guitar. I can also play the triangle and the cowbell.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:So my only guitar knowledge is that Gibson is headquartered in Nashville.

It has the WORST reputation for accountants in that area. Supposedly the CFO is a nut job, and basically every person I met swore up and down working there was the worst place to ever work. This is coming from people who were putting in 80-100 hours a week doing public accounting for a big 4 firm. Stating that working in public was cake walk compared to working at Gibson.

So I'm glad to see there aren't too many people talking about how much they love Gibson in this thread. Although I know nothing about the quality of their guitars (other than they are made from illegal African wood, lol).
Guitars are a lot like golf clubs in a lot of ways. The $100 Squier Strat that I bought as my first guitar was a great instrument for beginners. It had very limited action which made learning chords as easy as possible for someone who had never played before. Of course, that also meant that there was a little bit of fret buzz, and it didn't hold a tune very well.

Kind of like how a beginner's golf club has a high disbursement area. It's great for beginners who struggle to make good contact, but accuracy is thrown out the window for folks who are good at making contact.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:So my only guitar knowledge is that Gibson is headquartered in Nashville.

I've also heard of this reputation for batshit crazy in the new millennium but make no mistake, Gibson is still the top name in guitars going back to the mid 1900s. In the history of electric guitar, Gibson looms large. There are very few if any renowned guitarists in history of modern music who have not used a Gibson guitar at some point. I have a Gibson SG electric (made with wood that is now illicit too :thrust) and it is a pretty exquisite instrument. If the building was on fire, its probably what I would grab before escaping with my life.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 pm

JPJ wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Hey Jfurr and JP: I got my first new guitar in like over thirteen years...Too lazy to snap a pic so here is a stock photo. Yes it is a 3/4 size guitar. So what.
Beef, dude, there's nothing wrong with a 3/4 sized guitar.
I'll go one further. Not only is there nothing wrong with it, anyone who likes playing the guitar should own one. Heck anyone who is remotely interested in playing the guitar should have one. Finally, it wouldn't be such a bad idea if every household had one lying around. People spend thousands of dollars on pianos (DougE) that end up as furniture. Better to spend a tiny fraction of that on a small guitar IMO, learn 3-4 chords which will enable you to bash out "Wild Thing" and a few hundred other tunes whenever you are feeling drunk and rowdy.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories, guys.

I recall the Gibson factory being shut down for a little while because of the wood issue. Seems like the owner was going on about Obama etc...
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:44 pm

If you want to learn a song everyone knows, Knocking on Heaven's Door is a great start. G...D...C...over and over and over. You can even throw a harmonica part in, and there are several keys that work great with that chord progression. If you get bored with the Dylan version, you can always start throwing in some Axl Rose embellishments.

Seriously, though, I've thought about getting one of those pint sized guitars simply because it would be great for lugging around to social gatherings. Just last weekend, I was with my buddy sitting around a bonfire when he asked why I don't ever bring my guitar over. Well, it was actually his son who asked that, but still. I can play "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". My sisters kids always seemed to like it when I played old Beatles and CCR tunes. I'll think of something. Just don't ask me to play Kumbaya (I have no idea how it goes).

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Don't go there

(Axel Rose singing, I meant)

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 am

bryan k wrote:I've thought about getting one of those pint sized guitars simply because it would be great for lugging around to social gatherings...
Ours was bought as a, and is known as our, travel guitar.

i.e. not too bulky to put in the car to take with us on holiday.
:thumbs
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat May 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Just got a few pieces of gear fixed. Most notably my 1964(?) pre-CBS blackface Super Reverb amp. It had so much corrosion in the pots and tube socket pins wouldn't pass signal. Sounds better than it ever has since I have owned it since 1989. It joins my fleet of amps including an early 70's silver face Super Reverb. While not as collectible I think the silver sounds better.

The other fix was my mid-80's Mesa Boogie mk3c 1x12" combo in blonde tolex that I've owned since around 92-93'. This is the lil beast I rolled around the country with when we actually toured. Turns out the only issue it has was a open coil on the speaker. It's tough!

So currently my whole stable is running:
Black face super Reverb
Silver face super Reverb
Boogie MK3
Blues junior
AC15
Marshall JCM900 half stack
Ampeg portaflex bass amp

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 20, 2017 8:45 pm

That is some serious tube power. I love the silverface Fender sound. I once had a 70s Bassman Ten, crazy 4x10 combo. Also briefly owned a Bassman head and insane 2x15" cab.

Those Blues juniors, I recall they are pretty mean for their size.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat May 20, 2017 9:57 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:That is some serious tube power. I love the silverface Fender sound. I once had a 70s Bassman Ten, crazy 4x10 combo. Also briefly owned a Bassman head and insane 2x15" cab.

Totes

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 pm

jfurr wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:That is some serious tube power. I love the silverface Fender sound. I once had a 70s Bassman Ten, crazy 4x10 combo. Also briefly owned a Bassman head and insane 2x15" cab.

Totes
Jfurr if you are still out there, check out this video and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbo58jcyi8

I have a Boss Gt-8, this video makes me want to upgrade.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: Jfurr if you are still out there, check out this video and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbo58jcyi8

I have a Boss Gt-8, this video makes me want to upgrade.
I'm here - been busy for the last week or two. First off that video. Hmmm. I saw a rig rundown on YT somewhere of JM going through his pedals (not that thoroughly) and amps and a big part of his sound was his combined amplifiers, and how he used a super short stern digital delay to get a phase sound going on between them. I wonder if he's actually using this or if its just a paid endorsement. It did sound really great (it's JM after all...)

So I don't know. I myself have a pedalboard with misc boutique type pedals which I swap around and stuff, but the multi effect unit probably sounds just a as good, as he's saying.

On the amps post above, I actually sold my silver face Super Reverb, and the Mesa Boogie MK3. Trying to sell the Marshall half stack because really, when am I going to use that again? My old punk band had a reunion earlier this year which is probably the last time I'll never use it (though there was demand for us to play again, but we probably won't). These funds have been going into the new home studio.

I got that blackface Super Reverb working and it's my current main amp.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Okay I eat my words. Here is the video I am referring to, and looks like he’s using one of those boss multi effect boxes. And this us from 2014

https://youtu.be/nlIytZCY5q8

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Well I sold my Tele "Super Deluxe" on Reverb. It was a really really cool guitar but I just never fell in love with it. Ordered a used Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue from Guitar Center to have something for my home studio and easy to tote around instead of my big amps in the stupid road cases. All my PA gear and my large amplifiers live in a storage building between gigs now so I need a little practice amp.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Recent additions:
Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar
Rickenbacker 620/6 with toaster pickups
Rickenbacker 360/6
Fender Deluxe Reverb special edition