Guitar talk

jfurr

Re: Guitar talk

Post by jfurr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:20 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:What parts did you play?
I was doing production. We used my digital board and monitors/mics etc but we rented subwoofers and mains (and nice stage). I did sound/lights with friends - one on FOH and I did monitor mixes during the (3) bands. The board is laptop controlled so we both had control as a backup. Another friend helped me with lights during the Floyd set. We had a main light setup on a truss overhead and I had a string of LED PARs along the amp line as blinders. During DSOTM I was triggering all the sound effects etc from the album. Some of them I ripped right from the album (and cut/looped etc so the band couple play over such as the "money" loop).

For "On The Run" I joined in on the performance from the side of stage running the synth sequencer loop on a MicroKORG and doing effects with sweeping filters and getting an analog delay feedback loop effect going. Then on the climax/crash I switched back to the playback from the album which the rest of the other band continued to play over... into "Time" (clocks etc). It came off very well I think. There were two guitarists, two backup vocalists, keyboards, percussion, bass plus my stuff. Pretty full stage. It was all a DIY thing for the singer's wife's birthday bash. Free craft beer, wine, BBQ smoked there onsite all day which was awesome. One of the bands was kind of a wild party Rockabilly group that got all the ladies up on stage dancing like a Van Halen concert or something LOL.

We had 16 channels on the mixer which fed each independently (along with the main mix) separately to laptop over USB, I'm working on the mix and will combine into a video with some GoPro footage.

so I guess technically this post should be moved to the "live music" thread since I didn't touch a guitar...

Doing live sound gig again this Friday at a cool Arts and Draughts event at the museum and the weekend after that also at a daytime Saturday thing at the university.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:11 pm

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:19 pm

I swapped the 40w Roland Cube for the 3w micro version. It's awesome! Functionally it might be the best amp I've owned. It's kind of like a swiss army knife. Good variety of amp tones and some light fx like chorus and flanger. It has a great Roland Jazz Chorus model, which is what I'm into nowadays. Also has a good Marshall sound, and a top-boosted Vox which I am really into. It even has a very good Mesa-Boogie but then again who really needs that. It has only one Fender, a blackface tone, but it doesn't really break up. That's the only drawback to this micro version--the 40w had a couple more amp models including a Fender deluxe that you could drive.

Otherwise it's great. Has that classic boss/Roland durable, utilitarian look that I have grown fond of. Plus some great practical features like onboard tuner and a special 1/8" aux jack that lets you not only feed in music from a pod/phone but also record the amp output on a device. Anyone who's looking for a strictly practice amp needs to take a look at this thing.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Also it sounds great at low volume, which is what I'm really enjoying. Hate the idea of neighbors listening to me noodling around.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:45 pm

I went to Gruhn Guitars in Nashville on my way through to get out of traffic for a bit. It's a famous vintage shop. I'm in love with this black Rickenbacker 12 string in there. I might have to go back on Friday...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:47 pm

I forgot to write back. I returned to Gruhn on my way back through Nashville and talked them down a few hundred bucks and got the 12 string Ric. It's so sexy. Sounds good too. Much better than the Danelectro.

Danelectro for sale!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Also I cannot stand the skanky Tele anymore. I'm taking it to guitar center and trading it. I'll take anything they offer.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:04 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (305.7 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Tele upgrade. Home recording

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am

That is a pretty guitar...
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 am

...and that might just be the same model of Vox that I have (but then maybe they all look alike).

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 pm

thanks JPJ

It's a typical recent model AC15C1
The Tele is a limited edition Super Deluxe model I bought used but like new. Semi hollow, with Gretsch style pickups. The keyboard controller is just a midi controller than hooks up to my Ableton or Logic daw. A few of the pedals on the board are from a local home town boutique pedal company called Caroline

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 pm

A semi-hollow tele? You f-hole.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:A semi-hollow tele? You f-hole.
I sold the Danelectro. It wasn't getting used and now I have the 12 string Ric.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (268.53 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:17 pm

selling some stuff on Reverb.com

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Hey Jfurr and JP: I got my first new guitar in like over thirteen years.

Too lazy to snap a pic so here is a stock photo. Yes it is a 3/4 size guitar. So what. I do not give a shit anymore, just want to have fun strummin and pickin. I went into the giant "Sam Ash" store on 34th street intent on walking out with a Martin baby guitar. I spent some time in there playing it, then I noticed the Taylors. In all my guitar playing life I never really had interest in Taylor Guitars nor any of artists who use them. In fact I considered it kind of a high-quality brand for douchebag collector types, still kind of do.

But seeing as how it was the same price as the Martins and obviously the same type of product I had to give the Taylor an obligatory spin. The neck felt way better, as did the action, as did the body, as did the balance. The Martin is neck heavy and wants to tip over. So at this point I am pretty troubled. I loved the look of the Martin with its headstock and ancient logo, and really wanted to own a Martin even if it was a bullshit baby model. But the Taylor just sounded better to me; the spec's confirmed why. The one I liked has a solid mahogany top for fuck's sake. Compared to a "high pressure laminate" AKA plywood on the Martin. It also has a fake wood fretboard while the Taylor uses genuine african ebony, which I am still incredulous of. I thought only the high-end guitars get ebony these days.

That settled it. I knew I would have more fun with the Taylor. The last time I bought a guitar was in a whole different era of retail. Not even kidding around. I bought my SG from the famed Manny's Music on the famed 48th street NYC "music row" back in '03--both of which are now sadly extinct. In those days it was the norm to haggle over any instrument purchase was it not? So I went up to the sales guy and asked if that was the lowest price possible on the Taylor, fully expecting a quick and derisive 'no'. But no, he said "let me see what I can do", went over to the computer, pretended to punch up a few keys and then offered to knock off twenty bucks. In these days in which every big store matches prices, that is a good deal. So I did it. It's not a huge ticket item, barely over three bills.

Already I have spent hours with this little thing. Sitting around on the couch, watchin the tube or whatever. It is wonderful. Very fun to play. I love the tone, it's small and kind of boxy but really nice mahogany warmth. Wish I had thought of this idea a long time ago.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Cool man. That's the "baby Taylor", right? I played one once, good choice.

My acoustic is still that "Loar" "00" sized thing. I like the sound the smaller size gives - like a more mid range bark rather than a hi-fi full range slick sound.

I'm watching a few used Ric 330 6 stringers on Reverb right now, but have to sell one of my other less used ones first so I don't feel so gluttonous.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Yes it is, the model BT2. Same one Taylor Swift plays by the way, hers is the spruce top though. Spruce is too common a tonewood for acoustics by the way and that is what I love about this guitar--mahogany is a different sound.

Love those 00 guitars, hope to get one someday. Robert Johnson style. I agree, small acoustics seem to sound better overall. Frequencies as you say probably matter more than volume. I never liked jumbos anyways, kind of obnoxious. Maybe the future is in small guitars. Taylor makes a mini jumbo :facepalm and people seem to love it.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 pm

got a new beauty coming on the way, something I have been wanting since about 1988 ... Rickenbacker 330 six string in black (jet glow)

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:11 pm

the bookend compliment to the 12 string 360

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm

16002874_10209220008312162_6416189206240447238_n.jpg
16002874_10209220008312162_6416189206240447238_n.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
the 6 string 330 -- mint condition bought used

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:54 am

Yowza. Need more details. What year? I've never played one of those, don't even really know what they sound like. All I really know is the "Hard Day's Night" 12-string sound.
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:04 am

2015. This model came out kinda post Beatles I think. Pete Townsend wanted higher output pickups which is what these have verses the earlier 60's models which were more jangly. It still has that vibe though. This is the Peter Buck, Johnny Marr, Paul Westerberg etc thing. The 330 has no binding and dot markers and bigger pointy horns. The 360 has more curved body shape, binding on the neck, back, and f hole, and shark tooth markers. I've had the red 360/6 for over 25 years, but what I always wanted was the black 330/6 and 360/12 which is the combination so many of my guitar heroes used.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:47 pm

I only have signed guitars ;)
Shinedown and good charlotte... never played anything other than rockband ;)

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Updates....

Been doing some buying a few used things and selling some lesser loved things

I got these towards the middle and end of last year...

The Riviera is Epiphone's 335 basically, but this one has the retro 60's tailpiece. It's from 1996.
Photo Mar 01, 7 56 50 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 01, 7 56 50 PM.jpg (222.15 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

This is a recent model Gretsch "Silver Falcon" -- kind of the big brother to the Electromatic I posted earlier. The Electro is fully hollow, and has more of a woody sound, compared to this Falcon, which has a center block and more output and snarl.
Photo Mar 01, 8 01 28 PM.jpg
Photo Mar 01, 8 01 28 PM.jpg (251.71 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:37 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Hey Jfurr and JP: I got my first new guitar in like over thirteen years...Too lazy to snap a pic so here is a stock photo. Yes it is a 3/4 size guitar. So what.
Beef, dude, there's nothing wrong with a 3/4 sized guitar.