Knowing When It is Time to Move Up or Quit

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Knowing When It is Time to Move Up or Quit

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 am

If anyone managed to read through my long post about Indiana, my time as minder of our esteemed 40 handicapper got me thinking. When do you hang it up? And as a corollary to that, when do you move up?

Admittedly, most or all of the LG members have several decades to ponder those questions. I happen to be a lot closer to decision time. Here is what I think.

If one is still healthy enough to move on foot at a reasonable pace, whether it is down the fairway or from a cart to one's ball, keep playing. When your best shot goes 120 yards, move up to the most forward tees or even tee it up down the fairway. The only time someone should consider quitting is when it hurts too much, one is so slow on foot as to make it impossible to get around a course in less than 4 1/2 hours, or the game is no longer fun.

Playing when it is "cart path only" has to be out if one can't move on foot very well. Par 3 courses are also a good choice.

As to moving up a tee or not, I have informally set as my standard whether I can reach the longest par 3. There are courses where I take out the driver on par 3's but if I can hit the green, then the course may not be too long. There have always been par 4 holes that I had little chance of hitting in regulation without very good conditions. When the day comes that I can't reach the 16th green at Hudson Mills even with a well struck driver, my home will become the white tees there.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Knowing When It is Time to Move Up or Quit

Post by DougE » Fri May 05, 2017 12:12 pm

I am probably similar length off the tee and only a couple/few years younger than you, BK. I don't go by tee color so much, but rather stated distance for the set. Some courses I've played, the blues are only 6100. While others the whites can be 6400. At my own course, I play the whites most of the time. 132 slope. 6058 yards. Plenty of challenge. However, when I am really in a groove and my drives are jumping off the clubface, I do like to try the longer tees from time to time. Never in cold or wind, but a few times a month when the weather is agreeable and my game is sharp. I have noticed I usually score only a stroke or two worse from the longer tees. But I don't hit as many greens. And for me, I really enjoy hitting greens. It gives me confidence and I usually play better. My GIR average from the white tees is over 50%. When I play the blues, which is over 6500, it's usually around 35%. At my handicap index, I could play longer tees all the time, but frankly, I enjoy the game more hitting shorter clubs into greens.

What I don't understand is the macho attitude of many who have no business playing longer tees. They are only hurting themselves. 20-somethings who feel the NEED to play the long tees when they can't drive it straight and rarely get it out there anywhere over 200 yards. Missing fairways while driving 190 yards, then duffing your approach shots 5 out of 10 times, giving yourself no chance to make a decent score can't be fun. I'm no pro, but I can card a decent score from either the whites or blues at most courses. I CHOOSE to play the tees closest to 6200 yards---the correct distance for MY game---so that I can have a better chance to score in the 70s. That is always my goal. And hitting greens is one of my most satisfying aspects of the game. I always feel for the guy who, just because he's a "man", struggles around the course from the "men's" tees, a set he really has no business playing, when if he moved up to the correct tees, he'd probably enjoy the game a whole lot more.

As far as when I will move up to even shorter tees, as long as I can shoot in the 80s or better from around 6200 yards, I'll stay there and continue to play the blues every now and then (and probably rarely the older I get). So, I'm guessing my goal will first be to LIVE to 80, and then maybe at that point, assuming I can still move reasonably well for that age, I will consider something shorter. If, in the meantime, my index were to go up from the 7.4 as it is today, into the high teens or 20s, odds are, even if I can physically play at 80 years old, I will be so frustrated with the fact that my handicap went up that high, I would have probably quit the game already by then. :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri May 05, 2017 1:45 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:If anyone managed to read through my long post about Indiana, my time as minder of our esteemed 40 handicapper got me thinking.
If you're lookin' for some consensus on that guy, then yes he definitely needs to get lost!!! :fkno
Build a bridge and get over it.

j f jones

Post by j f jones » Fri May 05, 2017 4:28 pm

It's was pretty much easy for me. Long gone are the day's when I could think of going for the green on a par fives, in fact I realized I couldn't reach many of the medium length pa r fours. I figured if Nicklaus and Player could move up so could I. Now after all of my physical problems I am looking forward to playing our executive courses with all of the rest of the old farts,We also have a set of green tees which are played from a shorter distance than the red tee's.For one who has played the game for 68 years you learn to take what the game will give you. We have a saying in my community. It's better to be looking down at the grass than looknig up,

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri May 05, 2017 8:17 pm

:thumbs Joe!
I'm gonna go low this time...

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm

My basic rule of thumb is pretty simple. I don't like having approach shots outside of 150. The hardest holes in the world are the 200 yard par 3s where I might be able to hit the green one out of 20 times. If I'm playing a par 4, having a shot like that after a good drive is something that is completely out of the question if I have anything to say in the matter.

If I've played a course 50 times (there are a few), I can promise you that I have played the tips if, for no other reason, than to mix it up. There is a nine hole executive course back home called Osgood that is a *completely* different course from the tips, and not even necessarily harder (except for one hole).

Otherwise, I'm looking at the scorecard. First thing I look for? How long are the par 3s. If none of them are under 200 yards, I'm moving up a tee. Second thing I look for? The longest par 4s. If I can hit a 300 yard drive and still need more than 150 to get to the green, I'm moving up a tee.