Crossword Puzzles

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Crossword Puzzles

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Any fellow cruciverbalists here?

I've been hooked on the New York Times puzzles for a while now. I would rate myself as a decent player, maybe like a 9 handicap or something. I can burn through Mon/Tue/Wed puzzles pretty quick, and have finished a few Saturday editions. :thrust (Last Friday's edition was co-written by Bill Clinton; I crushed it :ohyeah)

I didn't realize this before I got into them, but crosswords are much like any other game in that the more experience you have, the more adept you become. I used to think of them as strictly tests of knowledge and trivia, but there's more involved than just knowing a bunch of crap. They also require strategy, reasoning, patience, persistence, risk-taking, existential leaps of faith etc.
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Re: Crossword Puzzles

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue May 16, 2017 1:53 pm

I like crosswords quite a bit. I used to do the L.A. Times Sunday one back when we got the paper. Pen only of course.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Don't give me that pen crap. It is meaningless. When you get into the advanced level shit--like I obviously do :fkno--nobody's finishing these puzzles without needing any corrections. And even if they did it still means jack squat. That's like saying your solution to a math question is superior to everyone else's same solution, because you did not use scratch paper.
everyone is gay

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue May 16, 2017 3:02 pm

I used to do them when I got a daily newspaper had a good one. I also used to have books of old NYT Monday and Tuesday puzzles. Did pretty good with those but was unable to graduate to Wednesday. I later switched to Sudoku but I now I do daily KenKen - not what is in the NYT but something more expansive. Kind of fits my mindset. And you are right, you get better over time.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue May 16, 2017 3:24 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Don't give me that pen crap. It is meaningless. When you get into the advanced level shit--like I obviously do :fkno--nobody's finishing these puzzles without needing any corrections. And even if they did it still means jack squat. That's like saying your solution to a math question is superior to everyone else's same solution, because you did not use scratch paper.
Tell me about gimmes, mulligans and breakfast balls, too, you pansy.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Don't give me that pen crap. It is meaningless. When you get into the advanced level shit--like I obviously do :fkno--nobody's finishing these puzzles without needing any corrections. And even if they did it still means jack squat. That's like saying your solution to a math question is superior to everyone else's same solution, because you did not use scratch paper.
Show me where the rules and regulations say anything about pen or pencil you know what screw that, enough talk lets have a crossword challenge showdown.
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue May 16, 2017 3:59 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Show me where the rules and regulations say anything about pen or pencil you know what screw that, enough talk lets have a crossword challenge showdown.
Cross-off!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I used to do them when I got a daily newspaper had a good one. I also used to have books of old NYT Monday and Tuesday puzzles. Did pretty good with those but was unable to graduate to Wednesday. I later switched to Sudoku but I now I do daily KenKen - not what is in the NYT but something more expansive. Kind of fits my mindset. And you are right, you get better over time.
Today I tried a bit of this "KenKen" you speak of. Feh! Not for me. Then again those Sudokus never did anything for me either.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Cross-off!
I'll set it up. Not sure how we'll do this, but I am all fired up nevertheless. Gonna take my shirt off and everything.
everyone is gay

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Gonna take my shirt off and everything.
No, please, leave it on...NY tan and all. :gay
Throw me another ball will ya!

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed May 17, 2017 11:03 am

Sudoku seems too much like work for me to enjoy.

Seriously, people actually do that crap for fun?

I do enjoy a good crossword puzzle from time to time, though.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

I feel like with the Sudokus you're essentially just doing the work of a computer or calculator. And very poorly at that.
everyone is gay

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm

So I was walking by the break room yesterday and there was Monday's NYT sitting there, so I took it home and did the puzzle last night for kicks. Got everything but one letter. In pen, but had to scribble over one section.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Cross-off!
I'll set it up. Not sure how we'll do this, but I am all fired up nevertheless. Gonna take my shirt off and everything.
Hey, I am in, too. What puzzle are we doing? Maybe start with a puzzle that has a rating & slope of 70.0/125 before we take on the Bethpage Black of puzzles? Maybe USA Today? Do we time it? Or measure success with the number of blank boxes?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Cross-off!
Hey, I am in, too. What puzzle are we doing? Maybe start with a puzzle that has a rating & slope of 70.0/125 before we take on the Bethpage Black of puzzles? Maybe USA Today? Do we time it? Or measure success with the number of blank boxes?
I suppose since we are scattered across the country, USA Today might be our best option :facepalm Still, I'm up for it.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 pm

I'm terrible at x-words, but kinda enjoy soduko (once someone showed me how to do it). Guess I'm the oddball
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:07 am

jfurr wrote:I'm terrible at x-words, but kinda enjoy soduko (once someone showed me how to do it). Guess I'm the oddball

Nope I'm a numbers person too.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Okay, I made a short attempt to do the NYT's Sunday crossword. Failed miserably, mainly because I couldn't wrap my head around the theme. I did the WSJ's Monday puzzle in 26 minutes. All spaces filled (correctly? yes I think so). The nice part, aside from being much smaller and easier, was two of the clues/answers were golf related.

So what day of the week do we use? Which paper?
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Okay, I made a short attempt to do the NYT's Sunday crossword. Failed miserably, mainly because I couldn't wrap my head around the theme. I did the WSJ's Monday puzzle in 26 minutes. All spaces filled (correctly? yes I think so). The nice part, aside from being much smaller and easier, was two of the clues/answers were golf related.
You shouldn't give up too quickly. Usually when I get stuck I leave it and come back later in the day or the next day. It is sometimes astonishing how differently clues can appear to you from day to day. I often feel like giving up, but it seems like I eventually break through more often than not. Like yesterday I was wrestling for a long time with one last clue: "Bugs might be seen in one". Then suddenly the word "CEL" came to me. I didn't think of it, it just came to me. I think that maybe I am just a vessel through which crossword success flows.
So what day of the week do we use? Which paper?
Hmmm. I use the NYT crossword app, but it's a subscription. If we are serious (and I am kind of serious, about putting DoH in his place at least :lolz ) I guess I could buy a copy of the paper one day and take a photo and post it here. Probably the simplest solution.
everyone is gay

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:47 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Hmmm. I use the NYT crossword app, but it's a subscription. If we are serious (and I am kind of serious, about putting DoH in his place at least :lolz ) I guess I could buy a copy of the paper one day and take a photo and post it here. Probably the simplest solution.
First, I agree that often time will change one's crossword perspective. It has worked for me in the past to set things aside.

We have a WSJ subscription at the office so that is free to me. USA Today is available everywhere. I would need to make a run to the library for the NYT. I would like to start out "easier" as a warm up. But whatever anyone decides, I will give it a go. I am a lapsed crossworder who just started to dabble again. Do they still use "Eagle's nest - Aerie"?
Let's Play 36