Solar Eclipse

srogers13

Re: Solar Eclipse

Postby srogers13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:03 pm

jattruia wrote:I know a bunch of people are heading that way to watch it, but that sounds like a total shit-show. Traffic heading up and back is probably going to be a nightmare.

Had i REALLY been smart, i would have taken the day off and gotten a tee time. I think being on the course during the eclipse would be amazing.

I actually was talking to my golfing partners yesterday about maybe trying that today, but I ended up being a responsible adult and went to work.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:22 pm

jattruia wrote:Had i REALLY been smart, i would have taken the day off and gotten a tee time. I think being on the course during the eclipse would be amazing.

So I received an email from every freaking golf course I gave my email address to in Nashville. They are all having an "eclipse" tournament and the fee is 2x the normal greens fee.

So I'm guessing that is the same everywhere that is getting 100% coverage.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Some clouds just rolled in. Oh well. Hopefully it's clear down in Columbia, and Jfurr is in a loincloth right now, face painted, chanting and making ritual sacrifices and what not.
insufficient data

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm

My entire department (100ish people) walked outside to share the 15 glasses we had.

I was in a meeting so I got to see the tail end when it was 75% coverage or so. It was so inspiring I can't even put it into words. Oh wait yeah I can "ah, I got to go back to work."
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm

It was about 75% of disappeared sun here, and the light was eerie, not at all like when the sun goes down. I didn't have eclipse glasses, so I did the pinhole thing: it works with your hands doing the hashtag sign too, as you reduce the size of the holes...

Then I spotted a strange set of shadows on my garage wall, caused by the holes between the leaves in the tree in between the sun/moon and the said wall. You can clearly see all these crescent shaped light (sun) vs round darkness (moon).This was within 10 minutes of the peak for us: notice the quality of the light in what was otherwise a nice and clear day, Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool and you guys might enjoy it too. :yess

IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG (911.68 KiB) Viewed 334 times
I'm gonna go low this time...

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:54 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Some clouds just rolled in. Oh well. Hopefully it's clear down in Columbia, and Jfurr is in a loincloth right now, face painted, chanting and making ritual sacrifices and what not.

Pretty close -- but we held back our ritual just shy of the wicker man.

But yeah - we got Lucky AF! Totally clear sky above, with some clouds on the horizon that turned into a very beautiful and interesting temporary sunset.

The build up was fun. Eerie watching the globe of the moon obscure the sun float across.

But totality moment - it went so fast We had around 2 and a half minutes, but I wish it was longer, just to look at the weird blocked-out sun. So we didn't see that many stars or planets pop out (except venus) but it was definitely the strangest thing I've seen in the sky.

I took some pics, have to see what I got in my time lapse and what to do with it (if anything).

I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

sjduffers wrote:It was about 75% of disappeared sun here, and the light was eerie, not at all like when the sun goes down. I didn't have eclipse glasses, so I did the pinhole thing: it works with your hands doing the hashtag sign too, as you reduce the size of the holes...

Then I spotted a strange set of shadows on my garage wall, caused by the holes between the leaves in the tree in between the sun/moon and the said wall. You can clearly see all these crescent shaped light (sun) vs round darkness (moon).This was within 10 minutes of the peak for us: notice the quality of the light in what was otherwise a nice and clear day, Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool and you guys might enjoy it too. :yess

IMG_0678.JPG

Very cool!

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 am

I went outside to try to enjoy some sunshine on Monday. It was the only 10 minutes the whole day that I got to myself, and the freaking moon got in the way. Shame on the moon.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm

sjduffers wrote:It was about 75% of disappeared sun here, and the light was eerie, not at all like when the sun goes down. I didn't have eclipse glasses, so I did the pinhole thing: it works with your hands doing the hashtag sign too, as you reduce the size of the holes...

IMG_0678.JPG

Coolest and eeriest eclipse shot I have seen so far.
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Coolest and eeriest eclipse shot I have seen so far.

Thanks, Beef. But you mean cooler than the corona showing around the blacked out sun, or the diamond ring shot? I don't think it is, but that's what most of was posted on the Internet, so I guess we get bored easily... Also, sometimes, the cool shot is not in front of you, but behind you! :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:24 pm

The reason I think it's one of the coolest photos I've ever seen is because I would have never, in a million years, thought of it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:16 am

When do the affects of staring at the sun begin to manifest themselves?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:When do the affects of staring at the sun begin to manifest themselves?

When you least expect it...

MUA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:47 pm

sjduffers wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Coolest and eeriest eclipse shot I have seen so far.

Thanks, Beef. But you mean cooler than the corona showing around the blacked out sun, or the diamond ring shot? I don't think it is, but that's what most of was posted on the Internet, so I guess we get bored easily... Also, sometimes, the cool shot is not in front of you, but behind you! :thumbs

F the internet! It's a spooky pic, I look at it and get a chill for some reason. And I like that it was found, unexpected like.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Witnessing the totality for the 3.5 minutes (approx) was the weirdest moment in my life looking up at the sky

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:16 pm

jfurr wrote:Witnessing the totality for the 3.5 minutes (approx) was the weirdest moment in my life looking up at the sky

In that moment did you like, think of your unenlightened ancestors and how they probably freaked the fuck out whenever this happened to them? I imagine that's what I'd mostly be thinking about.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:35 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jfurr wrote:Witnessing the totality for the 3.5 minutes (approx) was the weirdest moment in my life looking up at the sky

In that moment did you like, think of your unenlightened ancestors and how they probably freaked the fuck out whenever this happened to them? I imagine that's what I'd mostly be thinking about.

I could understand complete shock if you weren't expecting it. It kinda got dim slowly about 15 minutes beforehand, then right before total eclipse it was really spooky looking, then suddenly the weirdest sight in the sky.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 am

I gotta say, the 60% or whatever we got in So. California was ho-hum. I may have to venture out somewhere in 2024 to see this thing for realz.

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”