Europe

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Europe

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm

My wife and I are traveling to Italy in mid-September. Rather than fly out of Detroit and pay about $2,800 for two round trip "economy" tickets, we will drive to Toronto in the morning of our departure (4 hours) and fly Air Canada direct to Rome. The total cost is $1,744. Plus we have been accumulating "Chase points" which we used so our total out of pocket was $159.75. :yess

So, if you live near the USA/Canada border, consider starting one's trip in Canada. Of course these deals require going through an online or other travel service and there are always a few issues. Ours was getting assigned seats. Wait until 24 hours prior to departure or pay $30 each seat ($120 total). I decided to pony up for seats now rather than risk sitting middle seat between two large individuals both ways. Since we were saving big dollars it made sense to tack on the $120 to the $1,624 initial cost.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Europe

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Nice how much is it to take a small puddle jumper from Windsor to Toronto? Did the drive from Detroit to Toronto once it was the most boring 4-5 hour drive I've ever been on.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:51 am

jasonfish11 wrote:Nice how much is it to take a small puddle jumper from Windsor to Toronto? Did the drive from Detroit to Toronto once it was the most boring 4-5 hour drive I've ever been on.

Yes, we considered that, too. Not too expensive but we figured the hassle of an extra flight balanced out the extra time. We go through Sarnia on the Blue Water Bridge. Less traffic and a bit more scenic.
Let's Play 36

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 am

Very nice!

Where in Italy are you headed? I just made my first trip over there a couple months ago (northern Italy) and it easily exceeded expectations.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm

jattruia wrote:Very nice!

Where in Italy are you headed? I just made my first trip over there a couple months ago (northern Italy) and it easily exceeded expectations.

Rome and then a loop through the southern part, ending in Naples (to see Pompei).
Let's Play 36

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 am

That's awesome. We did more Tuscany, Florence, Cinque Terre, and Milan. Next time we want to do south, especially Sicily.

jev

Postby jev » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Sicily? Heavily overrated IMHO. Okay, agreed, mount Etna was fantastic - other than that it doesn't live up to its fame. Palermo is just a big noisy chaos, the small villages are almost dead by now and the forest fires are somewhat scary. OTOH, the typical Sicilian problems (mafia and north-African immigrants) aren't of any concern to tourists (unless you actively search for it).

Napels was a noisy cooking pot too. I was shown around by a client that lived there once and it's okayish. Pompei is pretty crowded but still worth the time. Another interesting sight is Herculaneum which was hit by the same eruption (mostly damaged by lava whereas the inhabitants of Pompei were hit by ashes and smoke).

Rome is great, esepcially if you're interested in ancient history. Just don't fall for any of the tourist traps: don't get your picture taken in front of the colosseum, etc.

Firenze didn't do it for me. I hate the city, it's treasures couldn't charm me at all.
Venice: way too many tourists but still nice to visit. Milan: great pizza's, lousy airport, industrial city.

Have a smashing time while you're there!

BTW, Italy currently suffers from a draught to level where fountains and public water tapping points are shut down and the cities only get water for a couple of hours per day. It doesn't look like the situation is gonna' improve anytime soon.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

Return to “The Other Forum (anything)”