Airplane Seat Switching

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Airplane Seat Switching

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:02 am

A while back I was flying back from NC solo. I had selected an aisle seat on the "2 Seat" side. The other side had 3 seats. A woman approached me and asked "We are a family flying together, would you be willing to switch with me so we can sit together?" Grandma and two 10-12 year old girls were in the 3-seater across from me and the woman's husband was in the window seat next to me.

I asked where she was sitting, and she said 18-D. It took me a moment to mentally realize that seat was the middle seat in the row behind the family. I said "no" and that was that.

Would you have changed seats? The flight was at most 90 minutes. I did not check on who were going to be flanking me on either side (I hate it when seated next to an NFL lineman wannnabes). For the question, assume normal-size people of normal characteristics.

To me, it is one thing to change similar seats (aisle for aisle, etc...) or "upgrade" from a middle to window or aisle. Many of us avoid the "middle" when possible. I would have swapped with the husband if he wanted to sit nearer his family but that was not mentioned. I rationalized my mildly rude refusal to the fact that if the family wanted to sit together, they should have purchased their tickets sooner or asked the airline to try.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Airplane Seat Switching

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am

I think I would have likely said "yes" just because it's only 90 minutes. But that is depending on who is sitting in the aisle & window of that row.

For some reason air travel causes people to be overly aggressive & assholeish so I usually side on the "fuck it let me make sure everyone remains calm" side of things.

If it were 2.5+ hours it's an instant "no."

But I really don't think it's rude to say "no" and if I asked you and you said no I wouldn't think anything else of it. I mean I probably wouldn't offer you my unwanted pretzels but that's about it lol.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 pm

It's not rude. If anyone encroached into rudeness territory it was those people. For those of us who are not wide, middle seats are especially bad. End up with arms pinned to sides while the oversized passengers (which seems to be most people) spill into your personal space.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:06 pm

As someone who qualifies as a road warrior, perfectly within reason to say no. If the kids were alone or to switch to a window seat, the case may be different, but the kids had grandma and notice that Hubby did not choose to swap with this wife. I did do such a swap once, but the middle seat was in an exit row and I have refused when the switch would move me from Economy PLus to Economy. I've scheduled flights around seat availability and typically do everything possible to fly Economy Plus or exit row, and I'm only average in size. Don't know what really large people do when they are not elite fliers.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Fuckem, they should have picked their seats better.
Throw me another ball will ya!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Why didn't they ask a person on either side of that middle seat to trade with your window neighbor? They would have been closer together than everyone in one row.... SMH.
I'm gonna go low this time...

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am

I"m gonna have to say "no".

I usually fly Southwest. I have been A-List Preferred most of the last few years. I occasionally will fly Delta or American. Either way one looks at it, I've either worked hard or I have paid extra for the seat I pick.

Let's get one thing clear. I freaking hate flying with an undying passion. I get anxiety, claustrophobia, and a feeling of unsettling from the vibrations on the plane. Airplanes are extremely uncomfortable due to their very nature, and I put a considerable amount of thought into where I'm going to sit.

If someone needs to change a seat due to a legitimate need, that's a different story. One time, about 4-5 years ago, I was flying from one of the Texas airports to Phoenix. I was nestled all snug in my exit row seat, and some bloke who must have been 6'13" was one of the last people to board. This dude was giant. He had to duck to walk down the aisle. I let him have my exit row seat because he wouldn't have fit in any other seat.

For a family that simply wants to sit together while they are flying? Sorry. No thank you. I've been a bit of a road warrior in my time, and I see families separated like that on flights all the time. It's not a legitimate need, so screw you.