While on the Subject of Travelin' Golf

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

While on the Subject of Travelin' Golf

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:36 pm

How far have you driven for a single round of golf, round trip? Time & miles, if one recalls the details.

This past summer I have a long local trip caused by traffic. 4 hours round trip. Distance was not that much of an issue, maybe 120 miles or so round trip. I think 190 miles round trip is about the furthest for me - Battle Creek area & back.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Re: While on the Subject of Travelin' Golf

Post by DougE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm

About 2 1/2 hours, round trip. Wintonbury Golf Club, Bloomfield, CT. Any longer drive, I'm staying overnight and playing another round either somewhere in the area or on the way home.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:32 pm

3 hours 1 way meeting a buddy of mine half way between Baltimore and VB for 1 round then back home for dinner.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Hey BK, while on the subject of travelin' golf, we have 5 days in a row of playable weather forecast here in Frederick, MD beginning today, Dec. 18th. I have room in my group for tomorrow's tee time at 11:20 as well as the rest of the days. Supposed to be near 60* tomorrow. I checked MapQuest. It says you can be here (from Ann Arbor) in 7 1/2 hours. Less if you speed. Should I pencil you in? ;)

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Well, when I lived in North Dakota, I used to make a trip south every Spring to find the snow-line so I could get in a round before everyone else. One year, I drove to Tulsa. I don't think that counts, though, because I always tried to book at least two rounds.

As fate (and the weather) would have it, though, there were two occasions where I only got in one round. The first was the aforementioned trip to Tulsa. The second was a trip to Austin, TX. In both instances, the second round was a wash because the weather got crappy, but I don't think that counts because I stayed the night both times.

The most I've ever driven for a round in a single day?

In 2012, I was staying the night in New Salem, ND. I booked a tee time at the Bully Pulpit Golf Course in Medora, ND. That's 103 miles each way, which is about an hour and a half with a time zone change.

There is another time that I drove from Flagstaff, AZ to Monticello, UT specifically for a round of golf at the Hideaway Golf Course in Monticello (nicest course I've ever played). That's a 269 mile drive each way, but I spent the night so it only half counts.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:53 am

161 miles, 2 hours 40 minutes one way from Bonita Springs to Pebble Creek Golf Club in Tampa...then to Bayou for 18 more in the afternoon.
Last edited by MattF on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:17 pm

163 miles round trip to play Saticoy in Ventura. Distance wasn't the issue, driving across L.A. from Orange Co. during peak was the problem. 6 hours of sitting in traffic for less than 5 hours of golf made it a net miserable experience overall.

Sucks because I really liked the course, but will never drive there again during the week.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:13 pm

We won't think twice about a three hour round trip out to rural New Jersey. I would much rather spend three hours on the road to play a 4.5 hour round than spend an hour getting to/from a local course and getting stuck in a six-hour round.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm
About 2 1/2 hours, round trip. Wintonbury Golf Club, Bloomfield, CT. Any longer drive, I'm staying overnight and playing another round either somewhere in the area or on the way home.
That's a long way to travel for Wintonbury! It's an ok course if you're near by, and if i recall correctly the first 3 holes on both sides are almost identical.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:50 am

I've definitely driven 2 hours each way for a course a couple times. I know i've done it from some RTJ trail courses, maybe one or two others as well.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 am

jattruia wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am
DougE wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 pm
That's a long way to travel for Wintonbury! It's an ok course if you're near by, and if i recall correctly the first 3 holes on both sides are almost identical.
I don't remember the 1st 3 holes of the back nine. I do remember the first three on the front. My reason for playing there is I got reciprocity there as a member of Oxford Greens for 8 years. They were both Billy Casper courses, along with Lyman Orchards, and all offered reciprocity to each courses' members. So it was worth the drive. I played Wintonbury at least once or twice a year as a result.

I always found the course to be nice and in very good condition. Other than the high voltage wires running through the course, I thought it was one of the better public courses, scenically speaking, in Connecticut. Not Oxford Greens level, but close. And Oxford Greens now has a few more homes around it, so I'm not so sure it is as appealing as it once was. I hope to get back there next season to play OG with my old group. But, with it being nearly 300 miles away from me now, you can be sure it will not be a same day trip.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am

jattruia wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:50 am
I've definitely driven 2 hours each way for a course a couple times. I know i've done it from some RTJ trail courses, maybe one or two others as well.
Probably took you two hours to get out of Atlanta on your way to Opelika. :thumbs
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am
jattruia wrote:
Probably took you two hours to get out of Atlanta on your way to Opelika. :thumbs
I always heard OG was top notch, but i never made it down that way. I think with it being private it was pretty difficult to get on to on weekends. I worked pretty close to Wintonbury, so i played there a few times a year at least.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:18 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am
jattruia wrote:
Sure did! But, i gained an hour going there so it was basically time travelling.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm
Hey BK, while on the subject of travelin' golf, we have 5 days in a row of playable weather forecast here in Frederick, MD beginning today, Dec. 18th. I have room in my group for tomorrow's tee time at 11:20 as well as the rest of the days. Supposed to be near 60* tomorrow. I checked MapQuest. It says you can be here (from Ann Arbor) in 7 1/2 hours. Less if you speed. Should I pencil you in? ;)
I need to check in here more frequently. :facepalm

I made a trip to NC last October to play golf with 11 other guys from a website. I knew no one. My wife did not have a huge problem with that boondoogle so an LG golf trip might be possible. After the New Year let's discuss logistics and location. DougE's club is somewhat central to NY, MA, DE, VA, NJ, NC, SC, etc...
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:53 pm

An LG golf trip would be a good idea. Let's actually try to get something going early 2018 if enough people are serious.