Shohei Ohtani

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Shohei Ohtani

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Listen, like you I've been out of baseball fandom for a long time. Nevertheless like many others I am awestruck at what this guy is doing.

For all you Bkuehn types who have literally been living under a rock here is the long and short of it. Shohei Ohtani is a young pitcher-slash-designated hitter from Japan who signed with California LA Angels over the offseason. After a disappointing spring training, now in the regular season he is winning games with 100mph strikeouts, and also blasting long home runs way over the fence. :puke

This is remarkable because a player like this has never happened in the modern history of baseball.

Enjoy it while it lasts, is what I say. Before the eventual arm blowout and, optimistically, demotion to a more conventional role/position. :fuckall
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

srogers13

Re: Shohei Ohtani

Post by srogers13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Another amazing thing is that if he waited another year or two to come to America, he would have been able to command MILLION$ more dollars. But because of his age and the rules, he is not making much more than minimum. But he decided he wanted to come over anyways.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Re: Shohei Ohtani

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

Babe Ruth is the last guy that I can remember who pitched and hit home runs with regularity. This new guy is certainly interesting. I'll have to pay closer attention to his career.