Interesting TV/Streaming

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Interesting TV/Streaming

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 am

We watched two of the three parts of "Unforgotten" on PBS via streaming. Then discovered there were no more parts available. Panic!!! Fortunately, part three is playing on PBS this Sunday (Masterpiece Mystery). I highly recommend this if you watch detective and/or CSI type shows.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Interesting TV/Streaming

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I don't watch but I always laugh at the commercials for those old British murder mystery "programmes". I laugh at the ridiculous causes of death they come up with, and also am fairly mortified at the nonchalance with which these people seem to view such horrible, twisted, senseless acts in general. "Wot's all this, then?"
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I really enjoyed the Elvis doc on HBO. I learned a lot and gained new appreciation for Elvis, whom I previously I had no time for. New appreciation for his musicality, which was vast and encyclopedic. Even though life got so crazy and messed up he never really ever lost touch with the music.
no more polo shirts

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue May 01, 2018 3:11 pm

We don't stream TV, but since you guys brought it up - what's the recommendation between Apple TV and Roku? I understand you should do one as most Smart TVs aren't as smart as advertised.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:22 pm

They all basically do the same thing out of the box.

I'd recommend getting something that matches other smart devices in your house. If you have the amazon echo, go with the Firestick. If you have google home go with chrome TV. If you're an iCrap person go with Apple TV. I don't know why roku would be better than any of the others, but my parents have it. It seems ok.

I have a firestick it works fine for me.

In a separate but related topic, I read that Comcast is considering only giving future internet speed upgrades to people with cable contracts as a way of preventing people from "cutting the cord." Seems kind of perfect for a cable company to say "I don't care what you need, here is what you are going to pay me for."
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:32 pm

We have been watching a series on Acorn (BBC) called "Vera". Entertaining if one likes British crime dramas. The guilty one is typically the person one would least suspect so we have fun guessing ... "The guy washing his hands in the Police rest room" ... "no, no, the cab driver who was on camera for 1 minute at the start" ... "No, the younger sister of the brother-in-law's family, who was crying."
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:32 pm
We have been watching a series on Acorn (BBC) called "Vera". Entertaining if one likes British crime dramas. The guilty one is typically the person one would least suspect so we have fun guessing ... "The guy washing his hands in the Police rest room" ... "no, no, the cab driver who was on camera for 1 minute at the start" ... "No, the younger sister of the brother-in-law's family, who was crying."
Sounds fun. I might check it out.