Black Women Golfers Run Off the Course

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Black Women Golfers Run Off the Course

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 pm

I doubt anyone will ever know all the facts involved in the recent incident in York, PA. I hate how the media jumps on these things. As if a dispute about playing slow on a golf course is equal to shooting an unarmed, law abiding person of color.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/b ... li=BBnba9I

As near as I can determine, a 5-some of women players appeared to have been warned about slow play during the first nine holes. At the turn, three left and two decided to continue playing after taking a "break". The course owner(s) and possibly several male players took issue with the two women continuing, possibly because of the "break" they took. The women disputed the accusation of playing too slow. Finally the owner asked them to leave and they refused. The police were called.

It does seem rather silly to call the police. Give the ladies a full refund, take the key to their cart, whatever. Did they have permission to play as 5? Probably, but also likely with a warning that they had to keep pace.

I do not see anywhere that being "black" was an issue. Possibly there was some unspoken racism at work but all unpleasant interactions between different ethnic groups isn't racism. Slow players of all races, gender and age piss me off equally. I am an equal opportunity angry old man.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Black Women Golfers Run Off the Course

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Maybe reconsider the title of this thread, if you don't like that sort of race/identity sensationalism. :puke Or at least provide some context, a la "News Story about Black Women Golfers Run Off the Course".

I don't know quite where I stand on this issue, or just about any issue for that matter, but I generally dispute the idea that we--that is mostly civilized people--can be "equal opportunity" in our prejudices/biases/intolerances. I used to think that way (back when I didn't live in NYC), now I think it's naive. To be brutally frank I consider myself fairly racist and quite bigoted.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:54 pm

I read that this was membership type of course, and the dues are rock bottom cheap. Maybe this means I am very callous and possibly a horrible classist, but finding that out takes a lot of the significance out of the story. As in, who cares, these people were fighting over practically nothing. Cheap ass golf. Everyone kind of got what they bargained for here. Serves them all right.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:58 pm

I see what BK is saying though. I too am appalled by the reporting, laden as it is with way too much implication and intimation. It's from Associated Press, too. :puke
no more polo shirts

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:01 pm

So i have so many mixed thoughts.

1 they were a 5-some. They shouldn't have been given the ok to play that way if the course was busy.
2nd they were asked to leave private property and 2/5 of them defied this request. Yes maybe being asked was wrong, but it's still trespassing at that point.

I did see a different article that indicated they were given the ok to play as a 5-some. It also said they played the front 9 in 1:45 (well from the 2nd tee box to finishing the front side). They were first warned about their pace on the tee box of hole 2. It claimed that they were confronted about their "break" while the group behind them wasn't even half done with their beer/sandwiches.

That being said all of that came from an interview with 1 of the women who was a lawyer. So it's inherently biased towards her opinion (probably even more so given her being a lawyer) and there is no validation any of it is true.

I do agree with beef though. That the whole notion of not being a racist is a load of crap. Everyone is racist. Not being comfortable around people that don't look like you is how humanity made it out of the prehistoric times where different tribes of "humans" would wipe out other tribes. So racism is natural, it's really just a question of do you act on those instincts or do you make poor judgement and decisions based on those instincts.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm

That's why I like the golden rule. The golden rule doesn't say "don't be a racist", or even "don't think certain thoughts about certain people". Unlike most other ideologies and mores and commandments or whatever, it doesn't ask a lot of us. It just asks us to be civilized and not a complete asshole to our fellow man.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Sorry for my fragmented responses. I don't have a full shit to give, so I'm taking it in piecemeal I guess.

I agree that we don't know all that much about what happened. We do know however that an owner of the course, who is also the wife of one of the "white men" involved, called the women to apologize. :puke
no more polo shirts